Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

System shock 2 coming to GOG.com

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2013 13:56:13 GMT
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/13/system-shock-2-launches-as-gog-exclusive-tomorrow/comment-page-1/

Thought about adding this to the PC thread but then decided this game deserves it's own thread.

I'm rather excited since I've heard so much about the game but only ever played the demo.

Posted on 13 Feb 2013 14:01:17 GMT
Anyone else absolutely adore GoG? :)

Posted on 13 Feb 2013 14:39:03 GMT
Glassmoon says:
i cant acess this site here at work, but please tell me what this is??

SS2 is one of my favorite games ever!!!

Posted on 13 Feb 2013 14:57:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Feb 2013 14:58:23 GMT
Glassmoon they take older games that don't run on current hardware and then update the games and patch them so they work on new system and sell them for like $10 each

I've picked up amazing games mostly 1990-2000 stuff but it's all great

Plus just an FYI it's run and owned by the same guys who the develop and publish The Witcher games oh and most important, their mantra is everything must be DRM free

They are strongly against DRM which is awesome :)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2013 14:58:24 GMT
Glassmoon, have you heard of GOG.com before?

Basically they get older games to work on current operating systems and sell them DRM free (yes, thats right!) on their website.

Most games are around $6 so not too expensive.

System shock 2 will be available for sale in about 20 hours from now.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 13 Feb 2013 14:59:29 GMT
Glassmoon says:
God...

Awesome man. Ive been looking to replay SS2 since i first played Dead Space 1 (which i think itīs almost a SS2 ripoff)

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 10:25:15 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Morning all

I registed yesterday on GOG. Thanks for the help mates. Sadly SS2 was not yet available but there are preety cool games there. It even has Daikatana!!

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 11:08:57 GMT
There is a countdown on the homepage to GoG saying System Active in: (Countdown timer)

It will launch when the timer runs out ;)

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 11:10:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2013 11:10:58 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Cool. Will it be available for Mac? that would be awesome

I really miss SS2 man...

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 11:11:39 GMT
I honestly don't know about Mac versions I've never looked

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 11:59:39 GMT
Do these games run on emulators or anything like that or are they simply updated versions to run on modern OS's? I ask because my PC's old and creaky now so won't run modern games but shouldn't have a problem with older games as long as it's not emulating.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2013 12:01:39 GMT
I think that most of the games run on dos-box but it's just a case of installing the program and clicking the icon to get it to run.

Should work fine on older computers, at least I think so.

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 12:07:02 GMT
It's not an emulator no, emulations aren't strictly legal and they certainly would not be able to sell these games if they had emulated... not without a massive lawsuit on their hands :P

They take older games and optimise and patch them to work on modern OS, that's it

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 18:31:03 GMT
Well it's here http://www.gog.com/

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 20:24:21 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Ss2 is out!!

Posted on 15 Feb 2013 01:14:19 GMT
Greycut says:
If i survive SS2 i may even consider playing Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 09:41:24 GMT
Right, so who bought SS2 then? My plan was to hold off until a sale but I just couldnt help myself.

Put a good 5 hours in yesterday, there may be some SPOILERS up ahead, so watch out!

I have gone through the first 2 decks and am now on deck 3. I got stuck before turning the power on because I couldnt find where to put the part into, spent a good 30 mins wandering around before resorting to google. Then it turned out that I had to put the part in something that was just above eye-level. No wonder I didnt see it!

Just picked up the assault rifle but don't have enough skill to use it, the pistol, wrench and shotgun are good enough for now though.

I haven't upgraded any Psi skills at all so far, not sure if I will to be honest.

Think I am almost finished on deck 3, I have one more vial to insert to get rid of the blockage in the lift shaft.

Anyone have any idea how far I am through the game?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 12:41:48 GMT
Greycut says:
Looking at the contents page of a walkthrough you have played about a third of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 14:16:11 GMT
Cool, cheers for that.

I found the music in the game a bit off putting. Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of occasional techno but to me it really doesnt suit the style of the game.

I ended up putting the music off, and now it's a much better experience.

The first couple of hybrids made me jump, but now I'm hunting them down with my trusty wrench.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 14:17:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2013 14:19:37 GMT
Glassmoon says:
First rule of PC FPS for me...turn the music off.

One advice Zarabubus...when you clear an area of enemies, the area remains clear until you re-load it. So, dont wander betwen areas that require a loading if you want to explore with safety.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 14:25:45 GMT
Ahhh, I wasn't aware of that.

I thought they just kept spawning, but I have been running back to the chemical rooms so thats probably why I never noticed.

I read a couple of FAQS before starting and most of them were going on about how scarce/precious ammo is. I seem to have about 80 pistol bullets, 15 AP, 70 shotgun shells and some Anti-personell rounds. It's almost too much to carry, but I guess I saved loads of ammo by using the wrench on the hybrids.

What's the best weapons in the game? I just picked up a laser pistol, machine gun and a grenade launcher. My skill isn't high enough for the MG yet, is it worth putting it up so I can use the MG? Or should I concentrate on other skills?

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 14:33:39 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Well...the best weapon itīs the wrench. If you can avoid spending ammo itīs the best. I usually used mele for weak enemies, the pistol for most situations (mainly shooting from a distance) and the shotgun for critical situations. I only used these 3 and tweeked with the ammo options.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 14:59:16 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Another advice. Do all the research you can. Invest on the research skill the most you can. It will make your life a lot easier. Keep a good track of where the chemicals are stored and always check the chemicals needed for a specific research so that you dont get stuck in the middle of one.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:29:29 GMT
Greycut says:
Just had a short play of the first level and i had to keep adjusting the mouse sensitivity every few seconds, just not used to playing a fps on the pc! Already love the atmosphere though, i knew Bioshock was influenced by SS2 but...wow. So glad i get to play this before Infinite.

Couple of questions if anyone can help. Are the psi abilities more for attack and healing or can they provide alternate routes through a level like hacking? And how fast do weapons degrade? Thanks.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:34:47 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Psi abilites are like the "magic" in the game. YOu can used them as your weapons and for healing. The best is a balance use of them both. Hacking will give you routes as you open more doors but mostry its good for disabling security or turn it to your favour.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  13 Feb 2013
Latest post:  21 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions