Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

What game franchise/series would you like to see rebooted?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 166 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2014 15:23:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 15:25:19 GMT
Reboot's are the scourge of the Cinema, but if Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Mortal Kombat etc are anything to go by they can be a good opportunity to give an old favourite video game a new lease of life.

So I just wondered what series you would like to see rebooted?

Maybe it's a game that has become lost, stale or poor and needs to have its slate wiped and start again.

Maybe it's a forgotten classic that could do with a new gen shine?

I can think of 2.

First fall's in to the latter of my examples, Tenchu Stealth Assassins. I was massive fan of this on the PS1 and we have seen a few sequels nothing very memorable and they were quite a while ago.

A proper old school Splinter cell with Katana's game set in ancient japan( or maybe even modern day?), would be awesome, I can't see any reason why this wouldn't make a brilliant PS4/Xbone game.

Second game fall's into the first category for me, Metal Gear Solid.

Now I know we have 2 new MGS games on their way and old Hideous Pyjamas seems convinced he can continue with the bat crap crazy story/saga he has created, but for me I would much prefer a brand new MGS game with nothing to do with the others.

I recently tried to read through the complete timeline of MGS in PLAY mag I gave up by 1974, it is utter nonsense. There are so many aspects of MGS I like and I am excited for the new games, but I wish the ridiculous and much convoluted story was given the elbow and someone a touch more sane was given the job.

That's just my feelings...

What's your reboot wish ? ... or should all reboots be banned?

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:32:16 GMT
Baldurs Gate could do with a nice shiny new game.
But seeing as though Fallout went 1st person, a new baldurs gate is basically elder scrolls.

A new proper turn based large world map Final Fantasy would be nice.

An old SNES game called Uni-rally! used to love that game!

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:34:31 GMT
Bozz says:
Not really an old franchise or series but I would love a sequal to Alpha Protocol. the first one had loads of promise but wasnt executed that well and was clearly on a tight budget

Or bring back Battlefield: Bad Company!

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:34:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 15:36:03 GMT
kinjoking says:
the old sega mastersystem ghostbusters, although i would prefer a port with HD and a manual save function,

The Immortal from the megadrive that actually gave me some idea of how to complete it, still dont have a clue currently

im dying for a skyrim style Zelda game, not the cutesy cel shaded stuff with dodgey nintendo graphics mind

a proper TMNT game that is made for adults with a proper shredder and krang battle with it not being a side scroller or platform, something sandboxey would be nice

a modern Gynoug but with all the grit and magic of the original

Dungeon seige 4 please! and the Baldurs gate Dark Alliance sequel (i didnt have a playstation to play it on)

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:35:37 GMT
Crixus says:
Abes oddussey new n tasty looks awesome.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:37:04 GMT
Datolite says:
Battle Chess, definitely needs HD graphics.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:37:28 GMT
Dark Chronicle/Cloud for me, would love to see a new version of that series.

Other guilty pleasures i would love to play new versions of are:

Manhunt
Project Zero
The Suffering
Red Faction
Half Life 1
The first Resi or Silent hills remade.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 15:49:00 GMT
Alpha Protocol is a good shout i'd like to see that done again, new story and everything and a bigger budget.

There is def room for proper espionage RPG.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:50:16 GMT
If we are talking sequels, ill add Psi-Ops on PS2/Xbox i bloody loved that game, better "force" powers and physics than SW Force Unleashed !

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:52:04 GMT
RAB says:
Star Wars Battlefront.

Is this definitely definitely happening now? As it'll probably make me buy a next-gen console.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:03:55 GMT
It certainly is !! ... well Dice have confirmed they are making it, god knows when tho.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:06:25 GMT
RAB says:
I imagine it'll be to coincide with the film next year. Not seen anything about it since the Xbone unveiling.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:10:48 GMT
Yeah probably, I think it was always going to be along way off, they were just announcing it. Dice have been busy with BF4 havent they, Mirrors Edge 2 is also incoming too, so they got their hands full.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:16:05 GMT
shane q says:
Not really a reboot but i would love to see Treyarch release an all Zombie's title with next gen graphics. I would love to see those kickass multiplayer maps backed up with a nice campaign mode

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:23:32 GMT
kinjoking says:
isnt that just dead island basically?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 16:39:03 GMT
shane q says:
not really, dead island was a good title all the same. but Im always going to have a soft spot for blops zombies all the technology we have now with ps4 they should be able to revolutionize the way we play, it would be really exciting if they evolved the zombies we know and truly did release a "next gen" title, where it just blows away all expectations

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:40:43 GMT
Dark Cloud/Chronicle is a great shout.

Looking forward to a current gen Persona too.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:45:51 GMT
After X-Com returned showing how it should be done I'd like to see a new Syndicate game, drop the FPS and go back to why people enjoyed it in the first place.

I'd also give another shout out to Silent Hill. Also Resident Evil. After the last Resi' game if they want to keep the franchise vital (as games like The Evil Within are incoming) they really need to look at why people enjoyed the series in the first place. Maybe go back to Resi 1 and rebooting it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Though some of the games I've mentioned (certainly Silent Hill and Resi') brings up a bit of a problem. The controls and console power. That mechanic of not being able to move and shoot for Resi' feels so out dated now I doubt anybody would put up with it. But that's one of the fundamental parts of the game imo. The same with the controls for the Silent Hill games. That clunky-ness as you're fighting off monsters heightened the tension, now it'll cause one star reviews.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 17:04:28 GMT
Matthew says:
I would like to see a next gen Ecco the Dolphin game.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 17:11:32 GMT
shane q says:
can anyone remember crusader no remorse? that was awsome for its time, would be a great title to bring back from the dead

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 17:14:16 GMT
Half-Life 1 already has a remake (in the style of HL2) called Black Mesa. Free download.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 17:27:17 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Half Life 3? Can that be classed as a reboot seen as we've been waiting so bloody long?

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 21:40:36 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Totally agree on Tenchu and Ecco the dolphin. Ecco on the Dreamcast is one of my favourite games of all time and a new gen game would no doubt look stunning.

Resident Evil had the GC reboot which is still my high point for the series and I have a feeling that if Capcom did another reboot then they'd completely ruin it and take the Resi 5-6 approach. Wouldn't mind seeing Resi2 rebooted in the style of the GC original (and the GC original given an HD makeover.)

Personally wish that Sega would reboot Shenmue, it's the only way that we'd even have a chance of finishing the story. Take the story and add in everything that the last few generations have taught games devs on story telling, animation, pacing and open world design. Also, good voice acting would be nice.

More remakes than reboots but wish that Square would continue their remaking of the FF series and do 5 and 6 in the style of the DS remake of 4.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 23:19:42 GMT
Matthew says:
I know right, Ecco the Dolphin would look fantastic on the PS4/Xbox One or even Wii U. The Defender of the Future game looked fantastic on the Dreamcast/PS2 too, I really just want to see what direction they will take it in. They're just really good games, it's a shame they haven't done more with the Ecco series.

Posted on 17 Jan 2014 09:00:33 GMT
Ecco The Dolphin is a great shout, in a similar vein i'd go with Jaws Unleashed reboot on PS4/XB1 that would be great fun !
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa5387564)

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  166
Initial post:  16 Jan 2014
Latest post:  31 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions