Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

First Time PS3 buyer guidance.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2012 00:41:20 GMT
About n hour ago had my sixth XBO 360 crap out me..I have decided eough is enough...I have well and truly had my fill of Microsot and their BS. Im going to send the onsole in for repair and replace it with a PS3.

I ahve never had one before so my main two questions are how good is playstation plus is it worth getting from the off? and what games are essentials I have played quite a few games on my XBOX 360 and had unopened Epic Mickey 2 and Dishonored ready to play will just swap them for PS3 versions at GAME.

I cancelled my Wii U preoder yesterda kid of sucks as I would have stuck woth that!

Anyway thnas in advance

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 00:45:35 GMT
Hunter says:
For PS Plus advice I would recommend you check out this thread. Some decent information about the Pro's and Con's of PS Plus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxJDNP8ZT4910I&cdThread=Tx1EA7S41HLFUSY

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 00:55:01 GMT
I'm guessing I am going to pick up the 500 GB console so space shouldn't be an issue, I have unlimited downloads and fibre optic so looks good value....

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 01:45:50 GMT
Hunter says:
Sound like you have a clear idea of what you want.

There is a cheap games thread and some great deals are posted there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxJDNP8ZT4910I&cdThread=TxHCK2XJSWE6CR

If you play online and need a co-op partner I'm sure someone can help you out. Good luck with the PS3 and I hope it last longer than the 360.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 10:30:39 GMT
AndyBSG says:
If you can find any of the old Slim PS3's i'd recommend one of those over the new super slim.

My brothers got one of the newer super slims and they look and feel pretty cheap compared to the slim and there's a still a few shops with old slims in stock.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:31:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 14:40:27 GMT
Trigger says:
As Andy says, get a regular Slim if you can, rather than a Super Slim. Get as big a hard drive as you can, but if not you can upgrade yourself and the process is simple. PS+ is definitely worth it; I would recommend at least a £12 three month trial if you're unsure.

As for exclusive games, I'll recommend some of the obvious ones and a few of the gems you get from the PSN store:

Demon's Souls
Uncharted trilogy
LittleBigPlanet 2 (1 is great too, but at current prices you might as well dive straight in to the sequel) (Also - currently free on PS+ until early next year, if I recall correctly)
God of War III (and Collection I if you've not played its predecessors on PS2)
Wipeout HD
Heavenly Sword (short but great hackandslash adventure, still some of the most amazing visuals and presentation from this gen)
Resistance 3 (I didn't like 1 very much, 2 was a Marmite game, but the third is very good)
Killzone 2 (great campaign, although the multiplayer is probably dead now. You can no doubt pick it up for tuppence these days)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Journey
Flower
Shatter
The Unfinished Swan
Super Stardust HD

Umm, I'm having a brain freeze and can't think of any more. I'll update the list as I think of them if you want.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:34:51 GMT
Datolite says:
You can play blu-rays.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:37:40 GMT
Add Demons Souls to that list of exclusives. And if youve played Final Fantasy XIII on 360, its much better on the PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 14:41:11 GMT
Datolite says:
Cptn, why is it much better on PS3? I loved FFX-2.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:41:39 GMT
Trigger says:
Good point about Demon's Souls - I feel ashamed for having not remembered it first time around!

Although if he HAS played FFXIII on the 360, God knows why he would want to do so again, and if he hasn't there's probably a reason why... ;)

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:56:34 GMT
"Cptn, why is it much better on PS3? I loved FFX-2."

Only 1 disc. The visuals are better, theres no drop in frame rates at all during play. Thats it, theres no extra content. I was just really surprised when I saw it on the 360 after I'd played it on the PS3.

"Although if he HAS played FFXIII on the 360, God knows why he would want to do so again, and if he hasn't there's probably a reason why... ;)"

Thats a fair point. As much as I love FFXIII and still play it, I couldnt imagine starting again.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 14:59:15 GMT
Datolite says:
FFXIII - £23.70
FFXIII-2 - £11.01...

Dafuq?

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:05:56 GMT
FXIII is more loved/hated than FXIII-2. FFXIII-2 kind of sat in the middle, the people who loved XIII like XIII-2 the people who hated XIII liked XIII-2. Also a lot of people didnt even buy XIII-2 due to hating XIII

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:13:04 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Some more exclusives to look at

Motorstorm

Gran Turismo (It's a bit of a love or hate racer though)

Heavy Rain

Infamous 1 & 2

MAG(Another love or hate game, no idea if enough people are still playing to actually get a game though)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Warhawk/Starhawk

Twisted Metal

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:18:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2012 15:22:32 GMT
Trigger says:
MAG still had plenty of people playing it when I last tried it about July or August, but it was always an uphill struggle years ago, and I imagine it's only the proper hardcore playing now. I really enjoyed it for a while, but don't remember why I lost enthusiasm to play it. Probably after one of my many rage quits; that game made me see red mist like no other.

Great game though!

EDIT - Sony should give it away for free through PS+; would be a great opportunity to get people playing again. I always thought it would have been an ideal game to remodify and make F2P; charge for extra character slots (like they do now), maybe lock away a couple of guns in the top tier unless folk pay for them, sell some additional character skins, that kind of thing. It seemed ideal for it, and after the game's lack of success as a retail release it would have been a good opportunity to test the water with F2P on the PS3.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:24:03 GMT
Some good advice here WOW looking at that ist of exclusive is amazing some great games there, to be fair I was boring of Halo and Gears anyway...and playstation plus seems realy great.

Defintley going to get Demon Souls and Uncharted Trilogy straight away and will probably jump straight into a year of PS+

I played FFXIII on 360 and got the 1000 gamerscore it was ok I heard that the PS3 version was on one disc so it is already infinetley superior to the 360 version.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:27:19 GMT
Trigger says:
Did you have a PS2? If not, you should also play the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (PS3). Absolutely wonderful games, and if anyone tells you otherwise they're lying and deserve to go straight on ignore.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:29:45 GMT
I had a PS2 but didn't fully explore it catalouge so plenty of games to be played. One of my friends justt said I can pick up FFVII, VIII and IX is this true?

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:31:56 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Yeah, they're all available on PS+. All the old Resident Evil games are on there as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 15:35:24 GMT
Trigger says:
You can download them from the PS Store, yes. I think they're £8 each though, and they're emulations of the PS1 originals so that means no trophies (the PS3 equivalent of Achievements) and you have to format part of your HDD as a PS1 'memory card'. I would suggest you hang around for a sale on them though - I think FFVI has shown up for free via PS+ before, and they're all dropped to £4 a couple of times a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in the Christmas or New Year sale reduced.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:38:23 GMT
I'm sold - I have heard that the online platform is pretty poor compared to live and that some third party titles are better on 360 but I guess it is time to ind out for myself.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:44:47 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Indeed it is.

The most frustrating thing about PSN that will have you tearing your hair out is the lack of cross game chat. Most online games support party chat of some form or other but it can be hit or miss at best.

What makes it truely annoying is if you've got a few mates playing other games and no way to contact them other than through the awful text chat or PSN messages... Even more annoying when you're in a game with mates and it DC's or put's you on opposite teams.

Overall, I don't think the actual online side has many more DC's than 360 but it is certainly a lot more cumbersome to do things on the PSN and the PS Store is terrible to try and navigate as well as being slow as hell in comparison to XBL.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 15:50:12 GMT
In my experience, the actuall connection on the PSN is pretty much equal to XBL, but as said, the lack of party chat is a real headache.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 16:01:03 GMT
Trigger says:
The dashboard - called the XrossMediaBar on PS3, or XMB - perhaps isn't quite as intuitive as the 360's, and generally it's slower to do stuff (downloading and installing being probably the major one), but in terms of usability it's fairly subjective. There's a lot less onus on pushing content on users across the system generally, but they've recently redesigned the PS Store and it's fairly horrible now - it uses a similar tile layout to MS's Metro and is very slow and clunky (even finding actual new content is a pain). You'll probably find it a nuisance for the first few weeks until you get used to it. Also, syncing trophies can take a farcically long time, so best to do that every few days while you make tea or put up a shelf or something.

I've never experienced any major issues with the online but then I've only used Live a little so can't really compare. I know some things are more laboured and painful on the PS3 though, from others' comments. But, hey; at least it's free!

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 16:12:36 GMT
Yeah I will have no PS3 freinds anyway so CGC hardly matters.....I love achievements and I'm sure trophies will have the same effect on me....shame that they haven't managed to get more funtionality into PSN they must realise CGC would sell more systems some of my freinds avoid the system purely for that reason
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  28 Nov 2012
Latest post:  30 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions