Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Off Topic - good TV shows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2009 12:33:46 GMT
Trigger says:
Been a lot of talk recently on various TV programmes, so I thought to start a topic to at least keep it from taking other discussions on random tangents!

I've just started watching Dexter - nearly done with Season 1 now, but my girlfriend screwed up our Lovefilm list and we're now not getting the last disc! I need to get it sorted as I have to find out what happens!

Also recently finished re-watching all of Life On Mars. It's just brilliant; easily in my top 5 TV shows ever.

Watched all of The 4400 earlier this year, and really enjoyed it. It's a bit like Heroes but with fewer irritating characters and less of a 'villain' complex. It's a real shame it got cancelled as I thought it was really exciting and the writers were obviously into the swing of things. Apparently there's a book coming out which resolves the plot, which I might have to get for closure.

I go into Blockbuster a lot and they do DVD box sets for £6 for a week's rental, so I tend to do that as it works out cheaper and easier than via Lovefilm. I intend to go through all four series of the new Battlestar Galactica at some point, and I've lent someone Firefly in the hopes of converting them to a Browncoat.

So, what you watching at the moment and what are your thoughts?

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:35:13 GMT
MintFox says:
Trailer park boys is rather amusing. it took me a couple of episodes to get into it but now I love it.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:35:25 GMT
Icaruschips says:
Bloody 4400! FlashForward is better. :)

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:40:39 GMT
MintFox says:
There was also a show that sky showed a couple of years ago thatr was awsome. it was called the secret room. Was only 4 parts long I think but it was a very good story. Normal objects from a hotel room have been scattered around the world, all the objects are infused with powers etc. Really worth a watch if you like 4400, heroes etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2009 12:43:44 GMT
Heroes series 1-3 BD
The X Files... again
Band Of Brothers BD (it's my first time...)
Californication s1-2 (funniest, rudest show ever)
anime (Naruto, GITS SAC, Gungrave, Death Note,etc)

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:44:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 12:47:13 GMT
Sopranos,-wrote-a-dissertation-on-it-(a-sh*t-one,-wrote-it-in-one-pretty-much-one-sitting)-may-do-my-MA-thesis-on-it.
The-Fall-and-Rise-of-Reginald-Perrin,-wrote-a-dissertation-on-it-(a-sh*t-one,-wrote-it-in-one-pretty-much-one-sitting),-so-only-got-2:1's-for-them.

A-whole-body-of-British-sit-com-from-the-70's-tend-to-get-overlooked-as-they-aren't-as-well-remembered-as-Fawlty-Towers,-Porridge-etc,-but-just-as-funny-and-far-more-innovative-and-interesting.

There-seems-to-be-a-steady-flow-of-quality-American-drama-coming-out-(predominantly-HBO)-and-a-lot-of-academic-texts-on-them-(specifically-the-David-Lavery-edited-books-on-the-Sopranos).-Still-waiting-for-him-to-edit-books-on-The-Wire-and-Mad-Men.

Six-Feet-Under-was-overlooked-to-some-extent-in-my-opinion,-possibly-a-victim-of-TV's-third-age.

The-Wire-is-good-but-not-the-best-thing-ever-on-TV-in-my-opinion-as-a-lot-of-people-claim.

hmmm...-Everyone-should-see-Abigails-Party-very-funny-and-interesting.

EDIT-My-flatmate-swears-by-Lost.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:45:02 GMT
Icaruschips says:
X-Files FTW. Ignore that new movie though, that doesn't count - it's not X-Files, just happens to have Mulder and Scully in it.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:45:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 12:47:50 GMT
Recently watched Dexter for the first time too (finished series 1 & 2) and it's been bloody brilliant (no pun intended). I've heard from my brother that series 3 isn't as good but still alright and currently hearing good things about the new series 4.

Currently watching Curb Your Enthusiasm (which has had me in hysterics many times and I'm only into series 2). Moral of the story - Larry David is a genius hahaha.

If you haven't already, watch The West Wing. Easily one of the best TV shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. There's one episode in particular that I would class as the best episode of anything ever made.

EDIT: X-Files is also quality stuff. You know you're in for a good one if cigarette man makes an appearance haha.

Also, Paul - Band of Brothers. Easily up there in my all time favourite dramas. Astonishing.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:47:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 12:48:24 GMT
and-the-Simpsons-obviously-(well-about-the-first-ten-seasons),-and-Duckman-and-Malcolm-in-the-Middle.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2009 12:52:06 GMT
True, DA. I Want To Believe is not really X Files (though I liked the pencils-in-the-ceiling reference near the beginning)
Not sure if I'd be happy if they made a season 10 - especially after they got out-acted by Billy Connelly in their latest)

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:52:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 12:57:50 GMT
chrissy1977 says:
EDIT:It's just cut half my post. I can't be chewed doing it all again!

I said Band of Brothers, The Wire, The Shield, Homocide life on the streets, Lost (S1-3) and on a lighter note Seinfeld, Peep show, The Inbetweeners and Curb.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:55:05 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Nov 2011 08:11:06 GMT]

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:56:22 GMT
Max says:
Band of brothers - FTW! Epic.
House (season 5 out on dvd season six on Sky)
Firefly - awesome sci fi if you like that sort of thing
Entourage - episodes are 20mins, so really easy to watch
I am a CSI junkie, honestly a bad habit, whether it be Las Vegas, Miami or NY, I watch them all!
My name is earls first few seasons were good, but of late has been a bit rubbish
Spooks - awesome british TV, can't go wrong with a bit of MI5 - new season started last night

I use blockbuster a lot for easy rentals rather than watching on TV.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 12:56:24 GMT
MintFox says:
Ohh and Peep show. First 3 seasons were comedy gold.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 13:00:54 GMT
Steve says:
i like fringe,lost.any CSI,heros (S2 abit crappy), I am looking forward to watching the new series of V on tonight.I loved the original.like alot of peeps band of brothers is my favorite show.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 13:07:47 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Nov 2011 08:11:07 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2009 13:13:05 GMT
Icaruschips says:
"True, DA. I Want To Believe is not really X Files (though I liked the pencils-in-the-ceiling reference near the beginning)
Not sure if I'd be happy if they made a season 10 - especially after they got out-acted by Billy Connelly in their latest)"

The pencils were a nice touch, but that's about all it had. Skinners appearence was also rather pointless.

I really don't think they should go for a season 10 if ever they were thinking of it. I like the way it ended on a downer and think (ignoring I Want To Believe) it should stay ended there.

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 13:17:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 13:18:11 GMT
I am always a year behind with TV shows, cause A. i cant be arsed with SKY, B. I always forget to watch stuff! ... prime example Flashforward on 5, loved first episode, only caught 2nd half of episode 2 then forgot every time, think ill watch online.

Mostly though I buy DVD boxsets, I am just waiting for my girlfriend to catch up with 24 then I am going to sit watch day 7 back to back cant wait!!!!!

So my fav's

24 (Obviously) just the best TV show on earth.
Prison Break - 2nd greatest show ever, i know it couldnt go on forever but very sorry its ended !!
LOST - mind f**k but brilliant
My name is Earl - genius
Simpons - again awsome

and thats really about it I hate TV on whole .. prime example True Blood absolutly f-ing awful show

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 13:50:10 GMT
Afternoon all,
Chuck (on Virgin channel) is pretty damn good. Comedy, spies, hot women. Quality.
The main character is a computer geek who works in a shop similar to Curry's.
He has a Tron poster in his room - nuff said.

Just finished watching the final season of the Shield and can def recommend.
Quite gritty, bit GTA'ish but with more of a moral conscience.

Also used to quite like Jonathon Creek.
[I'll get my coat]

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 13:51:19 GMT
I'd recommend

Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Firefly
Prison Break
Fringe

All great shows, shame they don't make UK TV drama as good!

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 14:41:16 GMT
i own, and have seen, every series of the sopranos, the x-files and the greatest tv show of all time - 24! i own all the box sets of friends too but have only seen up to (i think) season 7.

those aside, here are the rest i like and how much i have seen in terms of seasons;

supernatural - 1-3 (just bought season 4 yesterday!)
lost - 1-4
the shield - 1-5
csi - 1-4
csi miami & ny - 1-3
heroes - 1

and have just started watching the wire, saw all of season 1 thought it was brilliant, and recently bought season 2!

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 15:09:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 15:10:32 GMT
Trigger says:
I tried watching a couple of episodes of The Wire a while back and had to turn it off as I didn't understand what they were saying! I think I'm too middle-class English for that programme. The same with Deadwood; don't have a frickin' idea what they're saying most of the time.

Also, regarding Heroes - I mostly liked the first season. Some of the characters were quite annoying (Micah and Claire, for a start) and there were a few anomalies that pissed me off (for example, at Kirby Plaza why did Nikki attack Sylar, as she had never met him nor Peter so she didn't know who was the bad guy) but on the whole it was good TV with a good villain and an interesting premise.

I know season 2 was ruined by the writers' strike, but even so I think the pacing across the first six or seven episodes was terrible (Peter spends too long in Ireland/Hiro spends too long in Feudal Japan) and the main cast become even more bland, with dull characters replacing them in the limelight (although Maya is very fit).

I stuck with season 3 for about six episodes but got put off when they turned Sylar's character around and tried to write it so that literally everyone was related to everyone else. Despite having the best single power, Hiro became more and more useless and little more than comic relief (which is a shame because he and Ando were probably the best characters in the first season) and the whole time-jumping aspect just got stupid. It worked on occasion in the first season to show consequences of actions, but it's not so hot when it's every other week.

So anyway, I've stopped watching Heroes now, and can't see myself going back. Which is a shame because I think as a concept it's got a lot of potential and mileage.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2009 15:12:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 15:16:18 GMT
Mikalos says:
I do love a good TV show! Try and watch an episode of something a night.

I'd say some of my favourites include Sopranos, The West Wing, Firefly, Spaced, The X Files and The Shield. (I've not finished WW & The Shield but have loved what I've seen so far - majority of the way through both.)

24 also rocks and I loved Dexter season 1 but didn't think as much of the 2nd.

Got plenty lined up to watch, with the rest of the above, plus The Wire and more ready and waiting...

EDIT: Yeah I'm the same with Heroes, got to pretty much the same place before giving it up.

I did the same with Lost, being talked into watching the 1st series when it aired, enjoyed the opening to series 2 and then realised they were making it up as they went along and gave it up.

I do love watching older shows though; picked up Quantum Leap Series 1 on DVD for a fiver a few months back and it's always good for a chuckle...

Posted on 5 Nov 2009 15:14:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 15:14:57 GMT
Couldn't get into Heroes at all.

I just thought it was really, really bad. There just wasn't enough likability in the characters. Ando was the only vaguely likable one in the first series - everyone else was a hammy mess.

I really need to watch the Sopranos through from start to finish again....

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2009 15:17:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2009 15:23:07 GMT
Mikalos says:
Do it Alan! I'll race you haha

I have to say I'm a bit OCD with my TV shows and was gutted to see a new shinny boxset for both Sopranos, The Shield and West Wing...

"She was a whooer"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  121
Total posts:  1058
Initial post:  5 Nov 2009
Latest post:  6 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions