Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

OT - Techy help need on NAS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 May 2014 12:10:14 BDT
Mr. J. Burns says:
I'm looking to get rid of my desktop PC as it's taken a battering over the last 5/6 years and is now on its last legs. Since I don't game on the PC at all, I feel there's no need to keep it.

I was looking at My cloud / NAS devices for storing all my music and photos on but most devices are advertised as being for "back-up". Are these suitable for using with my lap top to save all my music etc (don't want to save it on the lap-top and clog it up) and then back the data up on an external hard-drive, or are these really only suitable for back-up purposes?

The thought of having all my music on a hard-drive connected to the internet so I can stream it anytime is like music to my ears (sorry for the terrible pun).

I'm not being rude if I don't respond; I'm swamped at work and likely won't be back on until 7ish to look at this / discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 12:58:22 BDT
noblood says:
NAS devices are perfectly fine for storing and streaming media content.

The top 2 players (Synology and Qnap) have really intuitive software that is web-enabled so that you can access it wirelessly/wired with your laptop/device, and if you so wish, have it internet facing so that you can access your music/photos out and about, and allow family/friends access.

In my case, I have a Synology 4 bay and it is used as a backup (Raid1) and a central repository for music, films and photos that all the family can access, be it by iPad, mobile, laptop, streamer etc.

The benefit here is that any playlists are also stored on the NAS so they get picked up if you switch devices.

Most NASs have the option to plug a usb disk in and backup what is on the disks. However, if you don't mind the cost of mirroring your disks in the NAS, this should be adequate and will ensure you have a backup every time you store something there.

If you pair the NAS up with a media streamer connected to the TV, or music streamers like the Sonos range, this should satisfy most of your entertainment needs.

Posted on 13 May 2014 14:54:59 BDT
"The thought of having all my music on a hard-drive connected to the internet so I can stream it anytime is like music to my ears"

If you use android devices you can already do this for free. Install Google play music on a computer and it will store 5000 (if I remember correctly) songs online. Then use the app or a web browser to play them

Posted on 14 May 2014 11:36:12 BDT
Mr. J. Burns says:
Hadn't looked into that app as been using my MP3 with Bluetooth for music just no - that's for the heads up, Rob, that sounds perfect partly for me.

Cheers Noblood, I'll be looking to buy in mid-July to August I think by the time I get round to looking into it more over the next month or so. I'm really just needing a basic-ish one that's got a good app to stream music onto my tablet / phone and can be easily managed from the laptop. I just don't want to ruin the laptop by having tons of music on it.

Only needing a 2TB hard-drive but will likely get 2 so I can have it mirrored as that seems to be the way forward based on your reply and details I've found on online. Being a bit of a noob with these things, I'm hoping it'll be fine for setting up.

Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 11:51:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2014 11:54:55 BDT
noblood says:
I would get a 2 bay NAS and stick 2 drives in it.
The WD Red drives are specifically designed for NAS use and are low power rated.

Also, most good NASs allow you to schedule on/off times. For example, I have mine auto turn off at night and then back on again in the morning.

If you buy 2 disks, make sure they are the same model and capacity and are on the NAS manufacturer's recommended list. Fitting them is almost plug and play.

Have a look on the android/apple stores too. Synology, at least, do various apps you can use to access your music/photos etc from your mobile.

Also, there are demos of the NAS software on the Synology and Qnap sites.

Posted on 14 May 2014 12:16:12 BDT
Mr. J. Burns says:
I'm not sure if I'll need specific NAS Drives as the likelyhood is it will be switched off for the most part and turned on when needed but the 3 year warranty does look pretty good and they seem extremely reliable. It's a long-term investment for me as I've completely moved away from PC use so I'll keep all these details in mind when I do purchase it.

I had seen one app that cost 15 USD a year and it accessed all your NAS files but was hoping if I paid a bit extra one of the companies would actually have their own app so that it made everything that bit easier.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 12:52:23 BDT
noblood says:
Both Synology and Qnap have free apps for your devices.
Here are the Synology ones....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Synology+Inc.

Posted on 14 May 2014 14:04:36 BDT
J. E. Cross says:
If ti was you that mentioned it in the PC thread you'll have already read this, but my Buffalo linkstation duo does all of the above and was v easy to set up. Had a disk fail and just had to swap the new one in, it sorts the rest itself and automatically backs up.

I have it linked to a sonos and stream music to that, also stream video to a PS3 and 2 smart tvs without any problems.

Posted on 14 May 2014 14:40:35 BDT
Mr. J. Burns says:
It wasn't me, Cross, so thanks very much for posting this. I've been looking at getting a Sonos for / around Xmas as well. I don't think the girlfriend would appreciate me buying everything in a oner and upgrading my tech family before upgrading her status from girlfriend. Somehow "but it's for both of us" has started to ware off after a year living together.

Posted on 14 May 2014 15:00:47 BDT
noblood says:
The Sonos speakers work really well with a NAS, not to mention a great interface via the app.
Plus the sound quality is on a par with Bose products.

They are pricey but I don't regret buying mine at all. Just got to save up for more speakers now.

Posted on 14 May 2014 16:08:36 BDT
J. E. Cross says:
Yeah my sonos play 1 is awesome. The only problem is the play 1 was clearly designed as the gateway drug into a house full of sonos speakers. Beware.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 16:38:09 BDT
noblood says:
"The only problem is the play 1 was clearly designed as the gateway drug into a house full of sonos speakers. Beware."

Completely agree with you. I bought a Play:1 for the kitchen but now I'm thinking of buying one for another room.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  13 May 2014
Latest post:  14 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions