Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Put together a video of what I consider to be the best Wii RPGs, if you're interested.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2013 19:14:09 GMT
Jay says:
Figured I'd put together a video, highlighting what I think are the top 10 Wii RPGs, as the Wii U just came out. I'm sorry I may have played a little fast and loose with the definition of Role Playing Game. I think most people who enjoy RPGs, will enjoy these games so I'm not that sorry.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 20:47:55 GMT
Matthew says:
Great effort with the video dude. Although I disagreed with some of the placements, I can see you put the effort into it. Kudos.

Tales of Graces is a Wii RPG though it never got released here, we only got Tales of Graces F on the PS3. Would of been worth adding that if you've ever played it on the PS3 lol

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 11:18:38 GMT
Just subscribed to your channel Jay, I will take a look later or when I'm back home tonight. I've actually been thinking of putting some YT videos together, but I don't have the right equipment to record and I don't think my missus would be happy if I spent a couple of hundred or whatever on a video camera to record with. The alternative is my phone, but although it can record in HD I don't know what the picture and sound quality is like when blown up onto a PC screen.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 12:46:43 GMT
Jay says:
Haven't played it yet. Tales of Graces, Dragon Quest X, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Spectrobes and Rune Factory Frontier are the major ones I haven't played yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 12:47:43 GMT
Jay says:
Ha I cheated, downloaded videos off gametrailers and edited them.

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 17:01:03 GMT
Alien Girl says:
No Okami? Or does that not count as an RPG?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 17:59:33 GMT
Jay says:
To be honest I was oh so tempted to include Okami, my issue was that I preferred the PS2 version(The filter that gave Okami such a unique look was missing from the Wii version, plus drawing circles was a bit of a hassle). Plus now there's a HD remake on PS3. If you don't own a PS3 or a PS2 Okami is definitely worth picking up on Wii. Most people probably have access to the better versions though, which is the main reason why I didn't include it on my list(Its also the reason FFIV: The after years isn't on my list). For arguments sake, if Okami(PS2 version) was on my list, I'd put it between The Last Story and Xenoblade.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2013 20:10:12 GMT
Matthew says:
I don't think Dragon Quest X will be released on the Wii here in English. I think we'l only get it on the Wii U. Hope I'm wrong, both games are identical in terms of content, the Wii U version is just smoother and has a better frame rate.

I'm not fussed about not being able to play Arc Rise Fantasia, apparently the dub for that is awful. I liked Rune Factory Frontier, well worth the money if you're into that.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2013 20:49:22 GMT
Jay says:
To be honest the two wii games i'm interesting in getting are Rune Factory Frontier and Klonoa. After that I'm pretty much done.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 09:41:12 GMT
Not a bad video Jay, the only thing I would suggest is that if there is no commentary then make the clips shorter. Bringing the video in at about five or six minutes would be better than ten minutes in my opinion.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 10:27:58 GMT
Jay says:
To be honest I hate it when people talk over vids, but I might add captions at the bottom of the screen to add a bit of detail. I think I kept the clips a bit longer for the musics sake rather than the games lol. I might put up a shorter version in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 13:29:42 GMT
Jay i enjoyed your vid thanks, i have a lot of them but can you tell me a bit more about fragile dreams ramins of the moon that looks ace (im a jrpg geek).

Plus that tales game looks good.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 13:49:16 GMT
Alien Girl says:
Ah, good point. I loved Okami on the Wii (yes, I could draw circles!). It was one of those games that I really didn't want to turn off!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 16:35:01 GMT
Jay says:
Fragile Dreams (Wii) is kinda unique in that its a JRPG with the atmosphere of a survival horror game. I like to describe it as Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Xbox 360) meets Grave of the Fireflies [DVD]. Its very Japanese and the combat lets the side down a bit, but the story, world, artwork and characters are very interesting.

As for the Tales game, its a direct sequel to Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube which is slightly better.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 20:49:54 GMT
Matthew says:
Lee basically you wonder around as some guy who is completely alone in the world(At the start) and its a more atmospheric game, finding clues and exploring the world. There's enemies sure but it's not entirely focused on combat.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 12:47:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2013 16:47:47 GMT
Jay says:
Yeah really enjoyed Okami, and my issues with the Wii game are really minor in the grand scheme of things. A lot of people compare it to Zelda but it feels completely different. I think the only reason they get compared at all is because Twilight Princess and Okami both featured wolves. Didn't much like the DS game, it felt a little too much like a retread and it wasn't really a proper sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 13:31:19 GMT
Alien Girl says:
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Okami was a huge influence for Zelda TP and a lot of the same people worked on both games. Can't remember where I read that ...

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 16:56:16 GMT
Jay says:
I don't think it was as Zelda TP was released just 3 months after Okami, and TP would have released before Okami if it hadn't been delayed to coincide with the release of the Wii. The two games are in the same genre but apart from there being a wolf in both, the games feel very different.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 17:19:03 GMT
Alien Girl says:
They lied to me!!! The heathens!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 20:31:29 GMT
Matthew says:
Nintendo typically have their main series Zelda games in development for years, I'm not sure Okami would of been an inspiration, certainly nothing in the game suggests that.

Nintendo are like, really strict with their Zelda and Mario main series games.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 11:16:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 11:18:02 GMT
I doubt Okami would have influenced Twilight Princess, because as noted they were released around the same time (slightly before TP in Japan, slightly after over here). Although I think they share a lot of the same DNA - both sprawling action-adventures with very light RPG elements, both have a witty sidekick and a silent protagonist, a similar design with a hub world and 'dungeons', etc. Okami built on the ideas Zelda popularised, but in my opinion it was better than all the 3D Zeldas (the only one I haven't played is Skyward Sword). I need to get back to playing the HD version, although I'll finish Dragon's Dogma first. I also doubt a lot of folk worked on both games; Okami was developed by Capcom's then in-house team Clover Studio (who were shut down soon after and were essentially resurrected as Platinum Games)and Zelda was developed by an in-house Nintendo team, presumably at their Kyoto office.

Hopefully Okami HD will have been successful enough to encourage Capcom to make Okami 2. I think it would be better suited as a downloadable series as it's pretty much had three commercial failures now (Okami, Okami Wii and Okamiden), and if they need to squeeze the development budget down they could always cut out content, because if there's one criticism to be levelled at Okami it's that the bloody game never ends!

Anyway, I love action-adventures like this and more entries in the genre are always welcome. After Jak & Daxter was released I always thought that Naughty Dog should have an attempt too. Maybe they could do something; make it a bit more lighthearted and whimsical after the gore and grit of TLoU.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 14:47:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 14:47:56 GMT
More like hopefully Okami HD flopped so Capcom don't have the bloody cheek to charge £16 for a frigging PS2 game again...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:56:23 GMT
Jay says:
Platinum Games wanted to make a sequel, Capcom decided to burn the bridges and gave Okamiden to another studio. The Director of Okami has said the series is dead to him now. So I wouldn't expect a sequel to Okami or Viewtiful Joe, because Capcom has pretty much given Platinum Games(formerly Clover) the finger.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Black Friday Gaming / Tech deals 32 3 minutes ago
Bloodborne 1549 16 minutes ago
Platini's Fifth Official Amazon Football Thread - Post Fergie Number 1 9080 17 minutes ago
Destiny 4645 45 minutes ago
Fallout 4 Topic 458 1 hour ago
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 9142 1 hour ago
Cheap Games! 4217 1 hour ago
Rise of the Tomb Raider topic 86 1 hour ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 6: "DAT PERFECT..." Edition 8006 2 hours ago
Xbox one vs Xbox 360 7 2 hours ago
Rainbow Six: The Siege Beta 146 4 hours ago
The 'Metal Gear Solid' Thread - Moderated By 'The Patriots' 3086 5 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  3 Jan 2013
Latest post:  9 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions