Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Oblivion / Skyrim query

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Mar 2013 13:12:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2013 13:24:24 GMT
Hi,
I am currently nearing the end (ish) of Skyrim, having done pretty much all there is to do including the DLC. Really enjoyed it.... Can't understate how good a game it is. Anyways it has perked my interest in Oblivion. For some reason I never got round to it even tho played both Fallouts and enjoyed them.
Is it worth getting Oblivion or will it be a big step back from Skyrim.
If so which version..... Is it worth getting the 5th Anniversary or just the GOTY. Are the extras (Shimmering Isle, etc.) included on the disc or is a DL code which will be missing in a used copy.

Edit - have PS3 & PC

Cheers for your advice....

Posted on 17 Mar 2013 21:11:16 GMT
martytarty says:
I can't be sure if oblivion 5 year anniversary has dlc codes or on disc but I'm sure you can find it new for under £15

Is it worth playing Oblivion after you've been through Skyrim?

Absolutely, Oblivion is a classic, it's not much of a back step back at all, graphics hold up well considering this came out in 2006, combat feels better in Skyrim with dual weapons, also the menu's are better laid out in skyrim but that's not enough to avoid oblivion.

If you like open world rpg adventures then Oblivion is a must. If you loved Skyrim then chances are you'll enjoy oblivion with the change of scenery.

Really up to you if pc or ps3, the pc boys on here will no doubt say pc but the choice is yours.

Just get Oblivion and enjoy!

Posted on 17 Mar 2013 21:15:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2013 21:15:57 GMT
Hadeslorster says:
IMO Oblivion is a major step back from Skyrim. Just about the only thing Oblivion has in its favour compared to Skyrim is underwater combat; especially if you have the Dawnguard, Dragonborn and Hearthfire DLC for Skyrim which basically completes your heart's desires (I have Xbox, which is cool because Skyrim is like the only game designed to be superior to PC or PS3 when on Xbox). Oblivion is fun I guess, and worth trying, but it is far more hack-and-slash and feels a bit primitive. The locations are especially disappointing (with caves seeming very similar to each other, and foilage and scenery disappointingly basic even for the time). The main story is possibly slightly more interesting, but that is personal opinion. Oblivion also strikes me as much harder.
I would definitely get the 5th Anniversary of Oblivion if I were you, it comes with all the extras as far as I can see (well, Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles but not all the more minor DLC). I would get it new as well, as there isn't much price difference and you want to make sure to get all bonus stuff.
It is a good game, and my friend personally prefers it to Oblivion. Give it a go!
I hope this helps, all the best,
An Elder Scrolls MEGA-FAN!
P.S. Get it on console, much easier to play I think!

Posted on 17 Mar 2013 21:29:10 GMT
If you buy either the GOTY or Anniversary it comes with a second disc that installs the DLC for you so no codes, get it new or used. It's certainly not a major step back though..

Posted on 17 Mar 2013 22:09:18 GMT
Cheers for the advice.... Must admit I'm glad I waited to play Skyrim til all the DLC, patches, etc. were out. (Got it as Chrimbo pressie just after it came out) It must have sat gatherin dust for over a year.
It works well having it all integrated and apart from the odd load crash, so far no bugs (game killing ones anyways).
Apart from the fantastic gameplay I think the music is very relaxing lol.....
Not got this stuck into a game since Demon Souls.
Anyways have taken the plunge n ordered the 5th Anniversary edition £14 from Shopto...

Posted on 17 Mar 2013 22:10:07 GMT
djburty says:
oblivion is a great game - the main differences is obviously the graphics aren't as good as skyrim and i didn't like how the enemies levelled up as you did, making walking between towns at lv 25 nigh on impossible. that aside, it has some great quests and gameplay.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 10:11:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013 10:11:58 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Hi fellow Scroller. :)

Personaly i didn´t like that much Oblivion. Its a very good game but i fount it too...simple and "inocent". It lacked that "dark" feeling. But a great game nonetheless. I would recomend you to play expecially the Shivering Islands expansion. I liked it a lot more that Oblivion. Also, i recomend it on the PC. There are plenty of Mods to make OB a more chalenging and interesting game. Stuff like the Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod are a must to get the best out of OB.
Finally, if you feel like trying a more older game, i vividly recomend Morrowind. Its quite old for todays standarts but again, with the right mods you can play the best Elder Scroll´s game, imo.
Cheers mate

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 10:40:56 GMT
I remember playin Daggerfall a long time ago.... From what I can recall it was good. Used to bounce around everywhere to raise your jumping skill.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 10:43:48 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Are you familiar with mods?

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:05:07 GMT
"I have Xbox, which is cool because Skyrim is like the only game designed to be superior to PC or PS3 when on Xbox"

This....wow....what a comment. I laughed so hard I struggled to breath a little.

Oblivion is definitely worth playing, its a little shoddy on the PS3 but still very enjoyable, Ive own Oblivion on all three formats and can happily say that the PC is the best version, it has the best graphics, the quickest loading times and access to well over 2000 mods via nexusmod.com The archery in Oblivion is rather poor compared to Skyrim and the Magic is nowhere near as good, but the melee, provided you dont like to dual wield, is almost indentical. A better main story than Skyrim too. Get the cheapest edition you can find, the 5th anniversary and GOTY are basically identical.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:05:22 GMT
djburty says:
i would agree that Morrowind is possibly the best of the series. I loved the levitation ability, woefully lacking in the oblivion and skyrim. I also liked how the towns were not seperated from the world environment and the quick travel mechanics (using mages to teleport, using boats or big creatures) were better intergrated into the game rather than the quick travel from the map system used in later games.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:08:10 GMT
I'd give Oblivion a miss and (if you can) play Morrowind. Vast game world and the main city is sublime. Much more diverse than Oblivion and (dare I say it) Skyrim.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:09:41 GMT
Glassmoon says:
oh yeah. Making a trip on MW had to be actually planned. Take the giant bug, then the boat...lol. Great memories. Also, i really liked the Mark/Recall spell. It was a harder game but more immersive for me. I have it installed and ready to start sometime...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013 11:10:45 GMT
Glassmoon says:
"Vast game world and the main city is sublime"

Vivec...sniff...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2013 11:13:15 GMT
Yeah i'm familiar with em.....
To be honest I tend not to play games on me PC. Its a laptop and although it can cope with games like the Witcher 2, and Alan Wake, it gets hotter than the surface of the sun. I've got a cooling tray but the usb connection has gone loose so keeps cutting out. I need to get a proper power supply.
I dunno it just seems easier to chill on the sofa playin on TV with PS3 rather than messing with PC.
Complete laziness.... Got loads of games on steam that I never get round to playin and all it would really take is getting a power supply and plugging the Xbox controller in...
Case in point - Had Deus Ex HR for ages... never got round to playing much past start. Then was free on PS+ and played to death

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:16:12 GMT
Glassmoon says:
No, i understand you. I have plenty of console games for the laziness factor.
For some reason Skyrim haven´t clicked on me yet. I played 40+ hours and havent even start the main quest. I need to get back to it someday

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:17:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013 11:17:40 GMT
... says:
"I dunno it just seems easier to chill on the sofa playin on TV with PS3 rather than messing with PC."

Well that's where your wrong, I use an xbox controller connected to my PC through my frapachino machine which works perfectly. I like to sit on my hovercouch using my 3d augmented reality TV as I play games in crystal clear 1081pp. You're a caveman. Join me in the future.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:18:39 GMT
Then get Oblivion on the PS3, it may be the worst of the three verions, but thats like saying that you went out and bought the worst car in the Ferrari showroom. Its still a great game and will hold its own against most other western RPGs of today.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:20:06 GMT
djburty says:
your laptop should be able to cope with morrowind if it can handle witcher 2 - however, i understand the lure of the console and have diablo 3 and divinity 2 sitting unplayed on my laptop, whilst i play dark souls, skyrim and atelier rorona on the ps3.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:22:14 GMT
Glassmoon says:
Your laptop will manage MW perfectly. Patch it and you´ll play it just great. Be prepared to read a lot though.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:22:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2013 11:22:50 GMT
... says:
Divinity 2 is a cracking game Burty but I know you wont like it. It has no grinding in it at all.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:26:08 GMT
martytarty says:
Trying to look for a cheap copy of morrowind goty edition for xbox, seems their is no such thing as a cheap version.

However if anyone can prove me wrong and find a cheap copy of morrowind goty that would be much appreciated.

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:27:24 GMT
Yeah like I say ... Laptop is pretty decent. It just complains after a bit lol.
They really outta sell laptops with decent GFX cards with cooling trays as standard.
I tried playin thru me old TV. Some games worked but some didn't. Haven't tried recently. Can't remember if it was a resolution thing or my laptop complaining about overwork.
Really need to get stuck into the Witcher...

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:28:23 GMT
Glassmoon says:
I´ve read that Morrowind on the XBOX is quite buggy

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 11:30:11 GMT
"(I have Xbox, which is cool because Skyrim is like the only game designed to be superior to PC or PS3 when on Xbox)"

Pahahahahaahahahahahaha
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  17 Mar 2013
Latest post:  18 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions