Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Off Topic - Smartphone advice

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2014 01:26:12 GMT
Got myself an iPhone 4s for couple years now and the battery is worthless and screen is cracked so thinking it's time for an upgrade. I am considering going for an Android phone for a change. Thinking of either Samsung Note 3 or the upcoming S5. I know the Note 3 is larger and that might be a problem but for now im considering it. Any advice on what you tech savvy guys would go for would be appreciated and share your experiences.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:12:20 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Ahh, the good old mobile phone receommendation question, my favourite topic.

Galaxy S4 Mini - If you want a fully functional smartphone but don't need a huge screen then this is probably the best mini out there. It's a little less powerful than it's full sized brother but still quite powerful and much cheaper.

Xperia Z1 - A very powerful processor and the phone looks quite nice. I've not tried one of these out yet so not too sure how the UI handles as it does have some Sony specific features. Camera on it is meant to be OK without being brilliant.

Galaxy Note - My brother has one of these and it is very impressive but he does moan about battery life and for me it's just too big to use as an everyday phone.

Galaxy S4 - I know people rave about this phone but IMO it's showing it's age now and there are better options.

Nexus 5 - I've just bought this one for the missus. It does struggle a little with battery but apart from that i've been impressed with it and it's cheap compared to other phones in it's range

HTC One - The aluminium case is a nice touch it has a great camera and is a great phone. I had the previous HTC One and only reason I didn't get it this time was just because I fancied trying a different phone

LG G2 - This phone is a beast. It trumps all of the above in terms of processor speed and RAM, full 1080 HD screen and a reasonable camera. All that comes at a price as it does drain battery a bit(I leave mine on charge overnight but invariably have to charge it again before the end of the day)

I've only recently picked up the G2 for me and the Nexus 5 for the missus and both of those were very deliberate choices. The Nexus because it's just great value and the G2 for me because it's simply the best phone out there in terms of specs.

Personally, i'd say it's a toss up between the LG G2, HTC One and Nexus 5 with the Xperia just missing out because it's basically the same processor as the G2 but a lot more expensive because it has 'Sony' written on the case.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:20:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2014 09:21:42 GMT
Personally i would buy the Heuwai (sp?) Y600 from Carphone Warehouse pay as you go for 70. you will have to buy it with a sim (10) but it's a great phone that will last you until the Galaxy S5 is released next year.

I bought two Y600's over Christmas for the Misses and boy, they are great smart phones (android). They look like P6 which is the Contract higher spec phone looks like the love child of the i5 and S4.

IIRC Heuwai is a Korean company that previously made a lot of un-branded equiptment for Virgin Media and O2. This is their attempt to spread their name in the market and i think they have done a great job of it.

EDIT: the reason i said Carphone Warehouse is that i know all their phones are unlocked so you can put your old sim in there

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:30:51 GMT
J. E. Cross says:
I moves from Iphone 3GS to Note 2 when it came out and I've never looked back. I don't get the complaints about size, it still fits in my pocket so the size is an advantage imo.

Android is far superior if you're in any way techy.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:31:52 GMT
J. E. Cross says:
Pretty sure Huawei is chinese, hence all the stuff about the US being suspicious of them.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:38:55 GMT
Strutter says:
Note 3 all day long, it's a powerhouse of a phone/phablet, you'll be surprised how quick you get used to the big screen, anything else becomes too small, the s5 will be good for sure but the note 4 will blow it away later in the year, if you can't deal with the big screen then the nexus 5 and lg g2 are great phones, nexus 5 being pure android, it is rather lush.

For the record the galaxy notes have great battery life on them, at least my note 2 when i had it, my note 3 battery is excellent.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 09:40:52 GMT
Motorola Moto G. You cannot get a better phone for the money - 160 for a screen resolution better than an iPhone 5s, quad core processor, 16GB of memory, Kitkat Android. I've got one and it runs well. I spent nearly 500 on a HTC One and it seemed little better.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 09:47:58 GMT
The US are suspicious about everyone! lol

Could be China. I couldn't remember the site I read.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 14:42:30 GMT
I must look Into the G2. I would like big screen and read that the battery on note is really good but afraid it might be too big to carry around in pocket etc. Does the G2 have all share or is that just a samsung thing? I'd like to transfer stuff to my PS3 wirelessly. Hard to know what to go for. I wouldn't have considered LG a good phone company but I guess the market is changing

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 15:12:56 GMT
I have an Xperia Z1, im very happy with it. It looks and feels great, camera is really good and seems to run everything pretty quickly. Comes with the Sony walkman which is better than anything else I have used on android for playing music. Screen looks fab as well as being large, legacy of the Sony TV's I suppose. Also cant underestimate how handy it is that its completely waterproof, ive dropped mine in the bath with no ill effects!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 15:20:48 GMT
Looked into the G2 and it seems good. Although reviews are saying Galaxy S5 beats it in most aspects. I like the idea of expanding memory on samsung and improved camera. Il have to go into a phone shop and see for myself. Note 3 still interests me

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 16:02:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2014 16:03:19 GMT
AndyBSG says:
In all honesty,i'm going to 'wait and see' for the S5.

There's still no 'official' specs for it out there and some rumours suggest it will only have a 720 display rather than a full 1080HD one and also that the processor speed isn't that big a jump from the S4(the S4 is quite slow compared to other phones nowadays).

It seems the S5's main selling point is going to be it's zoom lens on the camera which doesn't interest me at all, it just seems like something that is asking to get broken if you drop the phone!

It seems Samsung are maybe trying to pare some of the hardware back a bit to give it a better battery life but until the specs are confirmed, who knows?

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 16:24:16 GMT
The Note 3 has the large screen, clear screen, excellent battery but is it as powerful as the other phones out there?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 17:43:01 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
It's one of the most powerful I believe, could be wrong though.

It also costs a lot too, so if (like me) you don't want a contract then it's a bit too steep. I'd have gotten one instead of the Nexus 5 if it weren't for two things:

-Price
-Touchwiz

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 18:00:08 GMT
I've seen them talk about touch wiz but what exactly is it? I'm livin in Canada now and I think the note is about $650 pay as you go

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 18:37:16 GMT
Touchwiz is samsungs overlay onto android... how the apps look on the desktop and how it appears to you the user...

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/0000296dc/5189/Nexus-5-Android-KitKat-1-.jpg

http://www.androidpit.com/samsung-s-touchwiz-ux-2-0-vs-stock-android-4-2

i have a note 3 and would not buy another phone. simple brilliant phone.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 19:05:33 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Ugly, resource intensive and useless skin that Samsung insist on using. Skins have been used forever on Android, a relic from the days when the OS was ugly/bare. It's not necessary now though, and only uses resources and eats storage space.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 20:11:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2014 20:12:33 GMT
Strutter says:
You can download the official Google launcher so you can give your Note 3 or any galaxy device a pure android feel, I use it and its just like the nexus 5.

Note 3 is one of the most powerful devices around or even the most powerful.

Just bought Broken Sword 5 part 1, looks and plays great with the s pen.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 20:53:32 GMT
You guys are swaying me towards the Note 3 now. Il have to check it out for size been a while from I saw it in store.

Posted on 20 Mar 2014 12:37:45 GMT
N. Sanderson says:
I'd certainly consider the Sony. I've got the SP, the Z's little brother, and I think Sony really is worth it extra over Samsung. The build quality is excellent, the screen's very responsive, the Walkman app is the best music player, and the UI is really clear and straightforward.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2014 18:55:34 GMT
Yeah decky. try it in store and be ready to get used to using it with one hand with the other one holding it... its not like a 4" phone where you can use it one handed... that said i wouldn't go back now really really nice to use.

Posted on 21 Mar 2014 11:27:53 GMT
Strutter says:
Just thought I'd point out, Samsung were completely aware that the note devices can be difficult to use with one hand which is why they contain an option to change to one handed mode, it's clever actually, it shrinks the screen data down meaning it's much easier to work with one hand.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2014 04:47:01 GMT
Gave in and purchased the Note 3 tonight. Gotta unlock it tomoro so il know what it's like then better hopefully. like the look of the demo phone in the shop. Thanks for the help guys. Also I use iMessage to text people back in Ireland/Uk from Canada here. What's useful to use with Samsung. Tried Viber Whatsapp etc on iPhone but found it ok. Preferably something over the net as text messages cost from Ireland to Canada

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2014 10:12:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2014 10:12:46 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I just use Facebook's messenger app for most of my texting these days, mostly because it's convenient and has the added of bonus of letting you text someone while in another app.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  19 Mar 2014
Latest post:  22 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions