Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The official Games Reviews thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2012 19:14:03 GMT
Hunter says:
Since it was mentioned by a few people let's see if this works.

If you have a review of any game for any format (including retro) post them here.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 20:33:18 GMT
Max payne 3,

Awesome, a bit mean with trophies, great story and setting.

9/10 official leegamer magazine.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 20:36:19 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
space invaders

cutting edge graphics for the time, strangely addictive but linear game play

8/10 (for the time) :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 20:41:06 GMT
Sega bass fishing

Dreamcast classic, the fishing rod is awesome to use, arcade gaming at its best.

8.5/10 (if online play was available 9/10)

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 20:56:12 GMT
dirt showdown

Destruction derby like fun, slick, underrated.

8.5/10

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 21:15:00 GMT
G. Hanks says:
+1 Hunter, good stuff

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 22:36:52 GMT
kirk says:
I would test it out, but I fear I would be called out for spamming if I were to link a review I've already posted on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 23:04:12 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Tis the official game reviews thread, might as well post them all on here, it's on topic after all. You can't be accused of spamming if you're posting in a thread created for people to post their own reviews on, I think anyone who did complain would look a tad foolish.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 23:10:26 GMT
kirk says:
In that case, I will try and stagger them so it isn't too much.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 23:22:59 GMT
stick them on here kirk, if anyone complains i will back you up.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 23:48:07 GMT
kirk says:
I will put one up tomorrow, see how it's received.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 08:44:11 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
just put on short versions, and dont just put on a link to somewhere else us lazy people cant be bothered to click a few buttons :)

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 08:57:02 GMT
Good man Kirk.
Throw your links in here and see if you get some Positive feedback.
Also, lets bump this thread each day to keep it on the forum daily

Agree with R - put a good clip of your review in here with the link so people can get a taste of your writing as well.
Assume tomorrows review is Far Cry 3 ?

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:16:47 GMT
kirk says:
I will put Far Cry up later, I'm writing it now.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:21:15 GMT
kirk says:
For now though, here is a little piece of fiction I wrote about Assassin's Creed 3.

The wind lashed against his stern face, causing his white garb to billow; flapping the tassels that ran along the edges of his clothing. He stood, braced at the top of the tallest tree, in the vast expanses of the Davenport Homestead. Connor's intention had been to hunt Deer, he had tracked this particular one for hours, following it by its waste and spotting its tracks in the local plant life. The Deer now sat below him, grazing in the long grass, completely oblivious to the predator lurking in the canopy.

Connor jumped down with the grace of a Panther, hurtling through the air towards his quarry, pinning it to the floor with his knee and snapping its neck cleanly. "Thank you for sharing your life, we respect this sacrifice", he said in the tradition of his people. It had always their way to respect the hunt, they believed all souls were connected somehow and life should never been taken lightly, or for sport.

His dirk dug into the skin of the animal easily; nothing would be wasted: Its meat would be eaten by the settlers at the homestead, the hide would be used to keep warm in the impending winter, and the bones would make some fine tools. Every bit of the life he extinguished would be used to prolong others. It was the way of life.

Once all the produce from the animal had been collected, Connor made his way skyward, clambering into the safety of the canopy. He made his way back towards the Homestead through the calmness of the treetops, swinging from branch to branch, weaving through the gaps in the trees like a Cat and finally coming to a stop; as he reached the river.

Instead of the usual sight of his people labouring, he was instead greeted with a harrowing silence. Connor's eyes scanned the environment, his senses were better than most; partly down to his training as an assassin and a small fraction down to his many years hunting for his tribesmen. He stood completely still, for what seemed like an age, studying his surroundings.

He noticed smoke billowing from some of the buildings, and the logging tools were strewn around as if there had been a struggle. In his peripheral vision he saw something pass under the bridge heading downriver. And then he saw it again, coming out of the other side, taken by the powerful current of the river. The body of a young boy, battered, bruised and surrounded by a cloud of red. Death seemed to follow the assassin wherever he went and visions of his village burning flashed through his mind, along with visions of the spirits that started him on his path.

PLEASE READ ON AT GAMERANX.COM http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/10722/article/assassin-s-creed-3-death-in-davenport/

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:22:51 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
your gonna get bummed over posting that, just you watch :)

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:26:26 GMT
Kirk -
1st off - like I said, lovely writing. Very descriptive and puts you straight into the game.
2nd - I have read your reviews on several different sites, do we have to sign up to each different site to add a comment or a Like?

Cheers.

PS - Marked everyone up and hope we all get along now seeing as its a beautiful Sunday morning... ;-)

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:49:46 GMT
kirk says:
Thanks Zorton, and yeah if you sign up and comment that would be great. I only work for three sites, so you only have to do it three times lol.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:09:20 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Nicely written Kirk.

It does seem to be a big contrast to what you usually post on here.

Just a suggestion. Why don't you copy and paste your reviews onto this thread, because not all of us can access your link on handheld devices.

Without killing Zorton's 'happy people on a sunday morning' vibe, how do we know you write these reviews and not just c & p them from other sources?

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:26:40 GMT
Grayfox, cut the guy a bit of slack. No-one's sad enough to copy a load of reviews off the internet and pass them off as their own. Plus if you were able to visit some of them, you'd see that they all have his name.

Kirk, I haven't commented on your reviews for a while or voted on them when they've appeared on disparate threads but I can't help feeling that this is going to illicit a far more favourable response from the community. I'll try and read them when I get a chance and if you welcome constructive criticism, I'll give you feedback FWIW. Out of interest, does anyone edit your work? Only asking as there were quite a few mistakes, typos etc on the BLOPS2 review. And if you're going to possibly take this pursuit further in the future, I'd imagine you'd want your portfolio looking spot-on. A minor quibble admittedly as your work shows invention.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 10:53:31 GMT
Solar Fox says:
"Grayfox, cut the guy a bit of slack."

I'm not trying to disrupt the thread. I only ask because this is the internet. On other forums i've known people to make names up of all sorts of famous people. Same as a professional reviewer and claim that they were that person. They eventually got caught out.

I sound pessimistic, but I don't mean to be. If some of you know Kirk well then I apologise for the negative assumption. It's just the internet is a clever dillusion at times.

On the positive side, great thread Kirk. I'll keep an eye out for any games reviews that i'm looking to buying.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 10:54:54 GMT
" that this is going to illicit a far more favourable response from the community." - I agree.

" how do we know you write these reviews and not just c & p them from other sources?" - Grayfox, like Lill said, if you go to the article on whichever site - it states "Kirk Mckeand is a freelance writer. He can be reached on Twitter." and advises he wrote the article.

"Out of interest, does anyone edit your work? " - Lill, I dont think a lot of the online game-review sites employ Editors due to cost restraints so would imagine the answer is No!

Again, good write up Kirk and I will sign up to some of the sites you write for and leave some comments!

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 11:37:11 GMT
kirk says:
Yep, I'm definitely me, although I do understand why you would question it; the internet is full of people pretending. I do get most of my stuff proof-read, I would definitely be interested in you pointing out the typos, so I can rectify them.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 11:55:43 GMT
I have a few reviews on here.

This one is for Resident Evil: Revelations.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004JHY40W/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_top?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Haven't written any for a while, might do another review at some point.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 12:01:04 GMT
Solar Fox says:
If his twitter is tagged to his reviews then please forgive my imposing query. Like I say, the internet can be an attention seeking platform for the insecure or the wanting. I don't want to take anything away from genuine talent.

Glad it's being kept under this thread now too, as it keeps the forum tidier and also makes for easy locating of Kirk's reviews. Nobody likes be told what to do, and we all tend to do the opposite, but good on him to grit his teeth and abide. I think it helps keep the forum community happier and enables Kirk to be a more welcomed name.

But.. for the love of god! No more poo threads at the sight of a mark down. The most important thing is you have got your point or view across, and not that someone pressed the 'No' button because they were bored, or incapable of responding to your own post they disliked. The 'No' button is a cop out, it can mean a negative view, but it can also (aswell as) be a lack of constructive thought on the person that pushes it. It deserves to be ignored and not stared upon with astonished bewilderment.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  24 Nov 2012
Latest post:  28 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions