Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Bf3 Origin DRM: Personal data spyed on?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2011 21:31:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2011 05:50:38 BDT
MAYDAY says:
The German Amazon User Lukas L. published a screenshot which shows origin software scans his personal data concerning his personal tax software files. He used microsoft process monitor to display that. Other users confirmed similar activity on their sys.
I guess it's supposed to be not the only activity of origin DRM on even your hd...

Screenshot:
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2691/fglehhsj_jpg.htm

vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAZ-HN9cOk

original Thread:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2K9EWQSCVBAKX&asin=B004M17DVM&cdThread=Tx2UXT8OUCRJD5M

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 00:02:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Oct 2011 13:04:49 GMT]

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 00:13:05 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Oct 2011 14:46:04 GMT]

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 00:18:13 BDT
Sanchez says:
If you look at the screen shot, then on the task bar it looks as if he has about 10 different applications running word/excel etc etc. If Origin was installing then I would quite rightly presume it would look at each of the programs to assess if there was going to be any conflict or unsaved data, therefore a bogus security issue.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2011 00:24:14 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Oct 2011 13:04:35 GMT]

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 01:22:59 BDT
"I'm don't think English is the OPs first language so a little spelling mistake can be forgiven surely? "

What's your excuse? :p

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 05:56:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2011 06:05:26 BDT
MAYDAY says:
@A Portal Gun (Joel)

clap clap clap

Congrats! You found a mistake in spelling a word in an Amazon thread! How came?

It's really good to know that nobody needs to push you nose forward in dogpoo to see the relevant point! :D

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2011 10:27:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2011 10:28:03 BDT
I have no arms and and have to type using my feet, it makes thing really difficult.

Not really, I just made a mistake :).

On topic - Mayday, I'm sure most of us are aware that Origin scans applications on your hard drive. I'm really not that bothered. They will not be sharing this information with thrid parties and there isn't much they can do with it legally other than market researh and, maybe, targetted advertising.

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 10:33:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Oct 2011 14:45:34 GMT]

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 13:46:54 BDT
Maybe it's not whether it "effects" you or whether you're that bothered, but whether this is acceptable behaviour by Origin/EA and what president it sets. If you buy a PS3 but a part of the contract would be that Sony employees come in and have a root about your house would you feel the same?

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 15:28:43 BDT
No, I wouldn't accept them coming around and looking through my house. But if it was a choice between them scanning my PS3 hard drive and not having a PS3 I'd probably let them.

Not saying I like it, but I want the product enough to accept it. Clearly a lot of other people do too.

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 15:38:00 BDT
But its about personal privacy and invasion of personal property. Which is why I use the home analogy. I have nothing to hide in my home (other than the massive dildo collection) but I still don't want people searching through my property. I kind of respect anybody who doesn't agree with this and protests by sending the product back and reviewing the game as many Amazon reviewers have. I've read on this forum by many who get annoyed by publishers riding over gamers and devs (I think it important to distinguish between EA and DICE who I feel sorry for). But here lots of gamers are taking a stand. Seems admirable.

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 15:54:15 BDT
Nick. says:
Yeah but Riddles, part of it is to prevent cheats on pc who use hacks...

Posted on 29 Oct 2011 16:09:42 BDT
I'm sure "a part" is. But cheaters and hackers will always find a route around the problem, some might suggest that's what they enjoy, the challenge. Though I do think publishers should do something to stop hackers/piracy I don't think the invasion of the majority of innocent people's personal property is an ethical way forward.
I know that George Orwell's 1984 has been thrown about in popular culture so much some of its message has been lost. The words Big Brother has more to do with a cr@ppy tv program, and that while many would know it has its origin in a book they couldn't tell you what that book is about. But my point I suppose is that sure this "spyware" might not effect us we should still remain mindful to its implications. Rather than just being consumers as sheep rather lets be consumers with ethical ideals. And when they get challenged lets stand up and be counted as consumers by not purchasing. Just my thoughts.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 00:56:17 BDT
At the end of the day no-one is ever going to stop hackers or piracy, new tech or software comes along and is only seen as a test for these people, and really? how will EA ever know who has pirated their game as Hackers/pirates will crack the game so they don't have to use origin (like Steam powered games and Blizzard) and if they don't use it EA can't snoop around so its pretty safe to say the people who will use Origin are the legit owners and EA will never find anything usefull so its all pointless IMHO.

is there not a program that will be able to block the Origin from snooping around?.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 01:00:57 BDT
Icaruschips says:
"is there not a program that will be able to block the Origin from snooping around?."

To what point and purpose? To give a somewhat false sense of 'private' security? To those concerned about Origin, take a little look-see at the EULAthe next time you install anything, be it game, movie player software, toolbar (especially those), office software, anything. Chances are it's going to take a little peek into your machine whether you like it or not, you're agreeing to it by agreeing to the EULA, if you do not agree with it, you don't install.

If you don't want Origin in particular snooping (despite the fact the data is going nowhere, like 90% of other clients) don't install Origin. If you want to play BF3, bite the bullet or by it on a console.

To be clear, I was dead against Origin when it was first made public that they were going to effectively data farm you then pass on your details, but take away the passing on details part - which has now been removed from the EULA - and I have no problem with it, because as I say, there's a ridiculous amount of software you'll install that's habitually having a little snoop on your machine whether you're aware of it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 01:08:08 BDT
DA that question i asked in my last post wasn't for my state of mind, i have read and understand the terms of service etc with Origin and other software. that was just a question i would like answered because there seems to be a work around for everything else these days, lets say the question was out of interest.

I really don't mind them looking around as i have nothing at all to hide, and i think someone on this forum or obv somewhere else stated that people give away more info about themselves on Facebook and other social sites so why get upset at a piece of software having a look at your files?.

At the end of the day if i have to use something to play my most anticipated game of the year im going to install whatever they want me to install so i can play it.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 13:04:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2011 18:57:18 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I see, perhaps it wasn't the best idea then. I've removed it anywho.

No offence intended OP, just me being me.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 15:30:34 GMT
I absolutely agree that many products installed on our computers will take a snoop around our PCs (M$ being one of the worst) and given the necessity I tend to agree or disagree. So I'm completely complicit. But none of this makes it alright. So I found it interesting here that the issue (mainly by the German's given their legal legislation) was coming to the forefront. And maybe its about time. Plus I found it interesting given Germany's history that it was they who were being much more forthright in standing up against this. As some may argue they know better than anybody what happens if we blindly go forward without consideration of human rights.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 15:51:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2011 15:51:19 GMT
Ness says:
To anyone who took Origin off their PC and are not going to play games using it because it can see some of your personnel info -

Tbh you might aswell pack your PC away then if that's how you feel, everything and i do mean everything you do on a PC is tracked and logged, there is prob quite a few bits of undetectable spy and malware on your system as you type, logging everything you ever do online, most of it is harmless tho and just collects info and what your looking at and then spams you with related pop ups and emails.

Your online banking, email, facebook, twitter, Steam ect logins are known not only by you but at the very least your ISP and prob more than a dozen pieces of Spy / Malware, even destroying your HDD wouldn't get rid of it as it is all now stored online.

Big Brother is always watching us !. It's a good thing imo, it means they catch all the sick fu*ks that search and look at you know what !.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 16:13:05 GMT
" It's a good thing imo, it means they catch all the sick fu*ks that search and look at you know what !."

But they don't. A few of the biggest recent stories came about because they were caught pretty much by accident. Or they were aware of them and already tracking them. I'm certain our IPS do keep aware and survey us for this reason, which as most people would agree is a good thing. But EA aren't running a constant check on our computer's (and in some odd directories) and storing/recording details to do the police a favour in fighting online "you know what!"
Its interesting in that I think we live in a generation that have happily given up our privacy rights. We live in a Facebook/Twitter generation. They are out their for anybody who wishes to see. And when I say anybody I also include people with far more nefarious desires than EA.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 19:27:26 GMT
Ness says:
Facebook / Twitter were invented so that we would give all our personal info out for free and let the Government know where we were at all time ;), be like me, be like Adam and stay off the grid !!!.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 19:32:21 GMT
What happens if you run something like peerblocker?

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 19:40:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2011 19:44:26 GMT
Ness says:
I assume by it's name it blocks people from seeing your IP address, why would you want to tho ?, unless you are downloading illegal movies, music, games or something more un-to-ward ?.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 20:02:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2011 20:03:44 GMT
I have mates who use torrent sites (I'm not condoning just stating) and I know they use Peerblocker. Yes, it blocks IP addresses (not yours, but the IP attempting to communicate with your computer (I think)), though when they've explained it I don't get how they can tell an IP that's alright and one that's not. But I presume if EA's Origin is running from a "bad" IP then it would block it and it wont allow you to go any further.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  28 Oct 2011
Latest post:  31 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions