Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Games that make you feel ambivalent

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Dec 2012 15:13:34 GMT
Let's talk about games that make you feel a variety of emotions, as 'zon clearly doesn't want us to hate any games. :p

I love playing Civ 5, but I hate that it's basically a time-sink.

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 17:05:25 GMT
Gran Turismo 5 - it's a great racing game, but it's hidden behind so much bad design and unintuitive menus that I can't work up the enthusiasm to actually start it up, find my way into a race and play it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 18:57:20 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Agree with Civ 5 being a time sink. I reinstalled it a week ago or so and started a new game.

Those were some of the fastest three hours ever.

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 19:12:40 GMT
Total War is worse imo. Just one more battle. Just one more province.

Posted on 10 Dec 2012 19:58:34 GMT
Avatouir says:
I've been finding that with Assassins Creed 3. There's one bit very early on I've been stuck with. Normally a good game would have impressed me enough to keep trying till I got passed the tricky bit (some of the earlier AC's for instance) but after going back (imho) too far and hearing the dull lead ramble the same line I just got too fed up and put on something else

Posted on 12 Dec 2012 17:30:53 GMT
Got to be World of Warcraft.
Great game, huge world, 1000s of quests etc, good multiplayer.... wasted life. :(

Posted on 12 Dec 2012 21:32:25 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Red Dead Redemption is one for me. I really enjoyed emersing myself in the world but the controls never felt intuitive and after a break from it to play something else I've never been able to return to it. Same with The Witcher 2, granted I only played the intro section but without the context of the first game and trying to make sense of the battle system it really put me off something I know I'd enjoy if I put more time into it.

Agreed on GT5, was really enjoying it but the poor design was so frustrating. Having £1m in the bank but not having quite enough to compete in any new races, I really didn't fancy the grind. Would've been fine back in the Uni days of pad passing where going back to old races still feels fun but as a solo experience it was sorely lacking.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 10:23:54 GMT
"I really enjoyed emersing myself in the world but the controls never felt intuitive and after a break from it to play something else I've never been able to return to it"

I get that quite a lot with games. If I lose momentum or lose interest I find it very hard to get back into it without starting again. (Didn't happen with RDR though).

I really couldn't get into the Witcher 2, it looks really good but the combat was difficult and I didn't care for the story at all so lost interest fairly quick with that one.

I only just started playing Rome: Total war last week and yeah, it seems like another time sink, especially if you take all the battles into account.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 10:59:58 GMT
Went back to Skyrim recently with the DLC, 5 minutes in thought couldnt be bothered playing this - 5 hours later was still playing

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:06:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 11:08:39 GMT
Yeah total war was bad for that. You've played it on autopiolot for 5 hours and set yourself a goal before turning off and once you had taken the provence or had the battle and hit end turn planning to turn it off afterwards someone you weren't at war with would blockade one of your ports then you would have one more turn to organise your counter attack. Before you know it its 2 in the morning and you need to get up to go to work in 4 hours.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:10:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 11:12:54 GMT
Borderlands 1 & from the little ive played 2 .. I know its loved by 99% on this forum, but I just dont get it.

The whole game is grind, its not awfu,l just boring, no story (Well BL1 anyways i never got that far in BL2) boring characters (again BL1 really), bullet sponge enemies.

It just seemed to me it was go there shoot 4 billion skags dog things, pick up something, then drive/walk back. The fact you could do this with 3 other mates didnt sell it to me either, id much prefer to play Left 4 dead for the millionth time instead.

Im sure its just something i dont get, cause Borderlands must be loved for a reason. I dont hate it, but for me I likedn it to painting a fence, it may not be the worst thing in the world to do, but its a chore none the less.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:12:53 GMT
Borderlands has that one more loot chest appeal. The gun of your dreams could be just around the corner, it never is though. It's like chasing a rainbow.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 11:24:46 GMT
I played most of borderlands 1 solo and I totally get what you mean. Didn't stop me playing but it was a bit of a boring grindfest at the best of times. I imagine it's a lot more fun when playing with 3 other people you know.

Another game I have mixed feelings for is Farcry 2. I love the setting and the fire mechanics. I really enjoyed the immersive feel of it all, but I did not like the respawning guard posts or game breaking glitches.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 11:57:18 GMT
Avatouir says:
i also kinda see your point. I do heart Borderlands 1&2 (in fact platted the former) but the Moxxi DLC was just shoot lots of baddies without dying for an hour. The only time I've (gulp) cheated for a trophy (using modded weapons and shields) cos I wouldn't have been bothered if I kept dying on round 19

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 12:07:45 GMT
batman arkham city. great immersive game world, great graphics, great combat, fantastic voice acting. really sexy catwoman.........started the game twice now and got to the third mission both times, and have not felt any desire to continue. bizarre as i loved arkham asylum and i love open-world..?

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 12:15:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2012 12:22:23 GMT
ShotoTiggs says:
I didn't play Borderlands for long for the same reason. I liked the quirkiness of the backgrounds and graphics but the game itself didn't grab me.

I also liked the Batman games, I liked the plots and the tone of the whole thing, but the battle systems just got on my wick. I'm not good with combos so I ended up mashing the same button over and over.

Has an attempt for a trophy ever killed your previous love for a game? I've completed Dragon Age 3 times specifically to try to get the Traveller trophy for setting foot in every area of the game. It's the only one I'm missing but no joy. I've gotten 98% but I've read forums where people have had 96 or 97 and got the trophy. I even tried a playthrough with no DLC, no internet connection to get updates, so it's just the basic game. No dice. I made myself sick of the game doing two playthroughs back to back.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 12:17:53 GMT
Opposite for me for arkham city. couldn't get in to asylum but finished arkham city in no time

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 13:46:03 GMT
Avatouir says:
I know what you mean Phil. I have complete BAC but not played anywhere near as much as AA

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:30:31 GMT
Telik says:
Same. I keep getting to a part where you need to find the coldest area on the map or something. Took a break each time to play another game and it was usually weeks before I played it again. Each time I started over.

Can't understand it as I enjoy the game each time but still end up playing something else lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:35:18 GMT
Bunga says:
"Same. I keep getting to a part where you need to find the coldest area on the map or something."

YES. This is the point I leave it everytime. I just can't get my head around the decision to go sandbox with the franchise when Arkham Asylum was perfection in my eyes. Sure the new combat additions were nice (double counters and so on) and I know Batman by his nature is synonymous with flight but honestly, I didn't miss it in AA, it made it more cool when you got to dust off your wings every once in a while rather than every 10 seconds.

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 18:11:11 GMT
I can second the World of Warcraft suggestion. I quit a couple of years ago and still miss the community, but the catalyst for me quitting went something like this:

-'Why are you just running around?'

-'I'm looking for rocks to mine'

-'Why?'

-'So I can level up my mining skill to mine better rocks'

Then it dawned on me that even when I'd basically finished Wrath of the Lich King multiple times (although I never did complete ICC 25), I was doing the same thing over and over for a slightly shinier weapon or breastplate that would be outdated by the most basic of quest rewards from the next expansion.

Posted on 14 Dec 2012 10:41:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2012 10:41:49 GMT
ShotoTiggs says:
"Same. I keep getting to a part where you need to find the coldest area on the map or something. Took a break each time to play another game and it was usually weeks before I played it again. Each time I started over."

That bit nearly killed the game for me too. I found the coldest spot but it took quite a while to figure out how to get into the damned building. When I did find it, it was obvious enough for a facepalm moment.

Posted on 14 Dec 2012 10:48:35 GMT
counterstrike, for hooking me on fps games and inventing the word 'pwned'

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2012 10:59:42 GMT
Bunga says:
"counterstrike, for hooking me on fps games"

This. Thank god Steam only started recording hours played a few years back, I wouldn't like to think how much I've sunk into CS over the years.

Posted on 14 Dec 2012 11:11:09 GMT
The two games that I'm sort of ashamed to feel ambivalent about are Skyrim and Batman:AC. I've started both but found it hard to keep up the enthusiasm to carry on. They're both obviously great games, but Skyrim's world just doesn't grab me (I'm not a big fantasy fan) and I'm like Fights Like Tigger in that I didn't get on with the battle system in B:AC. And I know this sounds terrible there's a moment when I'm mashing buttons and fighting to take down four or five bad guys and all I'm thinking is: "There's a very good gun just lying there, and I CAN'T USE IT!!!!!!!!"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  10 Dec 2012
Latest post:  16 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions