Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Amazon Console

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Mar 2014 14:56:52 GMT
WhatNow says:
First pics of the controller have been leaked. Looks a cross between the Onlive one and the Xbox One

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/14/amazon-game-controller/

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 15:11:34 GMT
Looks like Amazon is making an Ouya style console, probably mainly for their Lovefilm service but also able to play Android games.

I suppose it is very cheap some people will be interested but I wouldn't consider it as direct competition to either xboxone or PS4

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 16:19:07 GMT
Great news. This is the console that absolutely no-one has been desperately been waiting for.

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 16:34:06 GMT
WhatNow says:
Seems a lot of conflicting information about it. It seems like are going or where targeting the "hardcore" with it. Now it seems it will $100 and now there is talk of streaming games on it. Honestly feel this could be game changer as we have a massive company looking to break in and they are willing to flash the cash. With google buying the android gaming company yesterday things are heating up. Wonder if there will be any announcements next week?

Posted on 15 Mar 2014 01:51:29 GMT
Stuff like this is inevitable. Amazon is going into direct competition with Netflix, it has already green-lit 3 (or could be 4 I can't remember) brand new tv series. They already stream/download MP3s. On the other side Google are obviously making advances towards something as they've recently partially bought up a manufacturer of controllers. Add to all that is the cheer amount of money (billions) in casual games. In my opinion if Google or Amazon want to play it cleverly they'd bypass a set-top-box (which this is probably more than likely to actually be) and go straight into tvs. A Google TV with a chip set comparable to a high end android phone or even tablet, controller and wifi.

Posted on 15 Mar 2014 02:37:33 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 15 Mar 2014 02:39:07 GMT]

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 11:19:41 GMT
WhatNow says:
Looks like its a hybrid with it leaning more towards the Onlive model and streaming PC games. Could get interesting

Posted on 2 Apr 2014 16:19:34 BDT
WhatNow says:
Announced

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 16:52:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2014 16:54:23 BDT
Ness says:
I don't know Lill. There is a massive market of untapped former extremely casual Wii owners who didn't upgrade to WiiU. This looks like it's going to be the Kindle Fire of games consoles.

Some interesting details coming out at the moment -

Dedicated game controller - $39.99 -

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2014/04/dsc0777.jpg

Second screen gameplay using your Kindle Fire.

Voice commands 'that actually work' (dig at the XB1).

'Use it to access your Netflix accounts without a paywall' (another jab at XB1).

Use it to access all your Amazon Music / Movie services.

Average price of a game - $1.85. '1000's of free games'.

EA, Ubisoft, SEGA, 2K, Disney, Telltale Game all on board to make games for it aswell as Amazons first party studios (they have been buying up talent for the past two years).

Exclusive version of Minecraft.

'Tiny Box, Huge specs, Lot's of Entertainment - $99.99'.

This could be huge in terms of catering to much more casual gamers imo.

Posted on 2 Apr 2014 17:00:20 BDT
MF says:
id be very interested in this to be honest -- would sit nicely in my sons room.

Posted on 2 Apr 2014 20:29:45 BDT
Mike_H says:
its called fire tv and it's $99 and already on sale on the american amazon store http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00CX5P8FC

here are the details...

Size 4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7" (115 mm x 115 mm x 17.5 mm)
Weight 9.9 oz (281 grams)
SOC Platform Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks that use the 802.11a/b/g/n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0 with support for the following profiles: HID, HFP 1.6, SPP
Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
Ports 5.5 mm DC Jack
Type A HDMI 1.4b output, w/HDCP
Optical Audio (TOSLINK)
10/100 Ethernet
USB 2.0 Type A
Audio Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
Content Formats Supported Video: H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
Audio: AAC, AC-3, E-AC-3, HE-A, PCM, MP3
Photo: JPG, PNG
Output Resolution Supported 720p and 1080p up to 60fps
System Requirements High-definition television, HDMI cable
TV Compatibility Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz, including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse
Warranty and Service 1-year Limited Warranty and service included. Use of Fire TV is subject to the terms found here.
Regional Support Certain services may not be available outside the U.S.
Included in the Box Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV remote
2 AAA batteries
Power Adapter
Quick Start Guide

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 11:00:24 BDT
WhatNow says:
the killer feature could be Gamesync with Gamecircle and might encourage "bigger" titles onto the system. I hope they get square on board. You play on your Kindle on your way into work and then continue when you get home. Also remember streaming of PC games is rumoured for later in the year.

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 12:30:26 BDT
kinjoking says:
looks really cheap and tacky. like a third party xbox controller you can buy for like £9.99.

i highly doubt amazon would be stupid enough to make a console, unless was an Ouya. and we all know how popular that is...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2014 12:58:17 BDT
RAB says:
Except it's already been announced Mark.

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 12:58:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2014 12:58:49 BDT
R - Dual says:
I've just bought Chromecast. Doesn't play games but works really well, is small (basically a dongle) and is only £30. All it needs now is more content providers on board. I think Fire TV might be good if you can also stream MPs from the Amazon Cloud Player too - I have loads. It has to be said streaming boxes is a really overcrowded market now - and it's difficult to choose. Saying that the tablet integration of Chromecast wins out for me in ease of use.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2014 13:53:10 BDT
kinjoking says:
yea so its a rubbish Ouya console or something for phones

Posted on 3 Apr 2014 16:42:06 BDT
WhatNow says:
@r it does play your mp3s basically its a kindle fire tv
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  14 Mar 2014
Latest post:  3 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions