Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 187 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Dec 2013 16:16:24 GMT
DragonsGash says:
Hi all,

can anyone tell me if Black Flag is any good for the PS3? And by that I mean, is it like Assassins creed 2 but with 3's combat or is it just like assassins creed 3 all round?

I loved 2 but despised 3 due to the overall glitchiness and poor frame rate. Is AC4 more of AC3 or is it back to the greatness of AC2?

I've watched videos on youtube of gameplay but I can't see how responsive it is from a video.

Cheers

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 16:29:53 GMT
I haven't played it however it is cheap on PSN today...

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 16:33:07 GMT
DragonsGash says:
Yeah thats why I'm asking. £17.99 for psplus members.

Its just I despised AC3 and don't want to pay for another AC3 clone. Especially since AC2, brotherhood and even revelations were so amazing.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 16:39:39 GMT
M_Vastere says:
I don't know how it runs on PS3 but it's easily the best AC yet (PS4 copy here).

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 16:41:51 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Only played a few hours on it so far but have to say it seems to be the best of the series based on that.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 16:51:14 GMT
DragonsGash says:
'Only played a few hours on it so far but have to say it seems to be the best of the series based on that.'

Is that for PS3?

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 20:12:28 GMT
J. THORNHILL says:
I've played it on 360 and completed the story, I wanted to find excuses to go back and play it but in the end I just thought i'll wait until I get a ps4 and play it again on that.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 00:04:59 GMT
Was great on 360. Can't imagine it's that different on ps3? I hated AC3 but Black Flag was really good. It's £22.49 in Game by the way!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 07:22:55 GMT
AndyBSG says:
"Is that for PS3?"

No, PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 08:22:41 GMT
Ness says:
Not played it yet but going on the tech breakdowns its runs at around the same framerate as the other AC games on PS3 (between 20 and 30fps with massive drops in crowded areas / action scenes).

Its locked at 30fps on PS4.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 14:01:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 14:02:21 GMT
Beck says:
Ive just got it in the deal and upgraded to PS4 version. Had a couple of hours on it and really enjoying it, havent got my own ship yet. So expect it to get better when Im upgrading my ship/plundering other ships. :-)

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 15:20:03 GMT
It amazes me the hate for AC3, granted it was slow in parts and Conner wasnt the most likeable of chaps and some of the side missions were tedious but I loved it.

I didn't find the pacing too bad, I loved playing as Haytham (great character), I loved the whole Civil war setting, i loved free running through the tree's. The side missions, hunting etc I just did if I came across them, i also really enjoyed the story.

In saying all this I am hoping 4 will be better and i'm looking forward to getting on Xmas day.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 15:27:02 GMT
Todesengel85 says:
I think the biggest problem with AC3 for me is how few people you got to actually assassinate.

The game is called Assassins creed, I want to be assassinating people. I want to sneak into a well guarded fort, find my target, stab him through the throat and get the hell outta dodge without anyone knowing I was ever there. I dont recall doing this very often in AC3

I also really disliked the sailing bits, which is why i've steered clear of AC4, as from what I see, they seem to be the focal point of AC4s gameplay

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 15:28:37 GMT
That is fair point Todd, it was light on the stabby from the crowd fun.

I loved the sailing parts, bring on more and bottle of rum for me !

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 15:36:19 GMT
"It's £22.49 in Game by the way!"

Is that in store as it is not on the net? I want to buy a game for remote play as FIFA is killing my hands with the rear touch. AC4 and NFS seem the best fit but I dont want to spend £40 for AC4. I am off into town tomorrow so if it is cheap I will pop in.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 15:36:30 GMT
AC3 was a bit of a speed run for me as i was playing it to catch up to date with the series , which i was doing just before adopting to next-gen. I thought it was entertaining enough and i really quite liked the ship battles which i suppose bodes well for playing AC4.
Connor was really bland as a character though, didn't bother me as i was running about ,but the cutscenes lost some impact due to it i thought :/

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 15:41:32 GMT
Ness says:
I think I'm one of the only people on the planet who enjoyed AC3 more than AC2 :-p. I much preffered the story, characters, missions and location in AC3, I thought it was a great game.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 15:44:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 15:44:23 GMT
R says:
Did you enjoy the searching for your lost keys missions? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 15:51:34 GMT
What Lost key missions?

it seems to me those that really hated AC3, are those that have 100% everything, those atrophment hounds. Were those that played it for the story and just did what they fancied because they enjoyed it, thought it was good?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 15:56:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 16:01:17 GMT
R says:
The missions where you had to search for clues - reminded me of when I lose my car keys. I completed two thirds of the game and I still couldn't bring myself to finish it. Some missions were OK but the confusing maps, the constant load screens, some very boring missions and the free running was awful. I don't remember the free running being that bad in AC2. Each to their own but I'm one of those that didn't rate the game - not bad but not that good either.

I'm far from an atrophment hound as you can get. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 16:08:09 GMT
Fair enough R, it is def not for everyone mate.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 16:27:02 GMT
For anyone who's got/getting AC4 I can fully recommend the companion app for smartphones and tablets. It's really usefull, syncs with your console and you can use it as a seperate map including setting waypoints for in your game or anything else you can do on the in game map. You can also use it to complete the Kenways fleet missions to avoid having to constantly go back to your captains cabin (also lets you do them while not at home/playing the console), contains all the Animus database listings as you get them in the game and the most usefull bit I've had is you can display your treasure maps on it, which stops you having to constantly switch between screens/equipment when hunting down buried treasure.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 16:31:59 GMT
Ness says:
I thought the free running was the best it's ever been tbh.

Overall I do feel the AC series is vastly overrated tbh. I love the main premise of the games, travelling back in time to important historical eras but the stealth and combat systems, esp when compared to something like the Batman games are atrocious imo.

Word is there is going to be two AC games next Nov, one for last gen and one for PS4/XBO. One of the bits of info that leaked was that they were going to basically rebuild the gameplay so I'm hoping they fix the stealth / combat for the next one.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 16:42:00 GMT
I kinda agree Ness, AC is a strange game for me, in that i feel i'm playing games for the story and a sense of continuity rather than the gameplay, which is weird because i can't think of any other games i feel that way about.
The combat is ridiculously easy, counter/strike ad infinum.
But i seem to return to play the next installment everytime, never on release though

Thanks for the headsup about the app SZJ i'll bear that in mind for when i do get it as it sounds useful.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2013 16:53:41 GMT
Ness says:
The combat just feels floaty and unresponsive to me, it is easy but unsatisfying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  187
Initial post:  19 Dec 2013
Latest post:  25 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions