Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

LOTR Guardians of Middle Earth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Dec 2012 14:26:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2012 14:28:05 GMT
Mark Andrew says:
Thanks to King Peter the Jackson and his latest epic: The Hobbit we can all fall in love with Middle Earth once more.

Of late we have had Lego Lord of the rings, a charming game with charming little characters and possibly the best free roam LOTR game on consoles.

And now on Xbox Live its time for the Guardians of Middle Earth, a strategy game featuring some of the well known (and not so known if you have not read Tolkeins works) characters from the movies.

I have spent many hours playing this game and it is safe to say that this is a special title and must be looked at by any LOTR fan.

For those of you whom are not really aware of this game yet I will describe what it is all about, as best I can.

This is a SP and MP game, though the tempting 5 v 5 battles are the cream here with you and your mates taking on other people. I can see a big following coming as the word spreads.

Picking your character is simple. I play as Gandalf or the Witch King. Each character has his/her own special moves and their class - Enchanter, Warriar, Tactician, Defender etc etc spells out how you will fare on the battle field and how you choose to tackle the enemy side.

Basically your army starts on one side of a map the enemy on the other. You have defensive towers, strategically placed to slow down the marching hordes. Although you cannot build towers and place them, you can fully upgrade them to do more damage. The same goes with barracks in your camp. You can assign elite soldiers, mounted soldiers and even summon powerful creatures such as Ents and Trolls (depending on your allignment).

Your base constantly spawns soldiers whom will assault the enemy and you can accompany them at will but be warned as you are not the only guardian on the field. The goal is to storm the enemy base and destroy the main tower.

Enemy guardians bring PVP into play. Everything you do in regards to combat levels you up. You can max level 14 in a game and all players start at 1. The key is to succesfully defend your land while levelling as quickly as possible. Its up to you how you do this. Will you ambush enemy soldiers? Take on a guardian directly for an almost instant level? Will you spend time upgrading your defenses? There are even random monsters situated on the maps such as Wargs, giant spiders and trolls. You can fight these for a massive XP boost.
Basically its important to approach other players with caution. All special moves have a cool down period, some players deal more damage than others and because you can hide in bushes and spring out to surprise attack a weakened guardian....you need a strategy.

Its really cool to see 10 guardians going at it in a big brawl. Even if you are Sauron fighting side by side with Gandalf and Legolas...the game isnt cheesy and due to the lack of a storyline it seems to work very well indeed.

Outside of combat your victories will give you levels and gold. You can buy new characters, assign perks (if you like) to yourr favourates and extra abilities. You even have a gem belt that can be equipped with different combos of stone for extra damage, quicker cooldown on abilities and so on. The list is massive and all gems and such have a cost. Winning means more gold and better loadouts.

I cannot praise this game enough. I suggest you try the trial but it should be an auto-buy if you have the Microsoft points.

Games like this dont really exist in the console market. The controls are spot on too which means that everything feels fluid and easy to handle.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 15:51:45 GMT
Nick says:
Thanks for the review Mark, I am a huge fan, so I will pick it up.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 16:41:49 GMT
howmuch75 says:
Same here,thanks for the heads up mark !
How much is it by the way ?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 16:45:39 GMT
Nick says:
1200 MSP.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 17:02:59 GMT
howmuch75 says:
Nice one thanks.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 17:26:38 GMT
Noticed this advertised on the PSN too. Was quite tempted. So I'm guessing it's kinda like a Tower Defence game with action segments?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 18:05:52 GMT
Nick says:
No it is a MOBA. It is like League Of Legends if you've played that.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 18:49:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 18:49:51 GMT
Mark Andrew says:
Really enjoying it. Once you get your feet it becomes very tactical and deep. Gandalf doesnt seem to be used a lot in the matches I have played online but then again their is a little trick to making him work properly so people might feel that he is somehow a novelty. Infact, depsite his stats, he is the most powerful support option in the game. But that is my opinion and there is still DLC characters to come...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 19:49:11 GMT
Dukeshire says:
How is the singleplayer?

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 20:18:41 GMT
Mark Andrew says:
Single player has AI Bots instead of the human folk. Unlike Call of Duty, for example, SP can be used to rank up and gain rewards. Online play gives you leaderboards and bragging rights + a little bit more XP. I play a mixture of SP and MP.

Also............most achievements are obtained by playing the Battleground matches which is 5 v 5 human opponents.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012 08:23:29 GMT
BALLYSEAGAL says:
i seen this on live last night and didn't have a clue what kind of game it was and was rather surprised it didn't have a Trial version to download.

Posted on 11 Dec 2012 08:49:13 GMT
Bally, there's a link to a demo on the Xbox website - I think you can use it to add it to your download list, and it'll start downloading when you next switch your XBox on.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Guardians-of-Middle-earth/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411282

Posted on 11 Dec 2012 12:21:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2012 12:22:44 GMT
Datolite says:
Steve we've been talking about it on the Xbox thread, I'm definitely picking it up.

Edit : Mark, add me on XBL as I'm definitely looking forward to this. Also going to pick up the Season Pass if I enjoy it enough.

Posted on 12 Dec 2012 10:13:47 GMT
Datolite says:
Played this until 2am last night, awesome. I'm not a huge fan of melee characters though, not played many though.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 16:16:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2012 16:16:18 GMT
Datolite says:
No-one I know plays this game :'(

Edit : Triple post, shows how many people on Amazon play it, lol

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 16:20:21 GMT
Nick says:
For anyone on PS3, this will be free on plus in January.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 16:23:12 GMT
Datolite says:
Really?? I can't see it being as good on PS3 as it's very right trigger intensive.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 17:16:10 GMT
howmuch75 says:
Bugger I still haven't played it yet :(

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 19:02:09 GMT
TS says:
I would like to add that this is a really brilliant game - MOBA isn't really done on consoles (it's notoriously tough), but this has been done really well.

The only thing I would say is that lag can be a huge pain in the arse.

Posted on 19 Dec 2012 19:07:01 GMT
What the hell does MOBA mean though? I know that it stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, but to me that could be applied to any number of games. Take Halo (or any other multiplayer FPS) for example - you're stuck into an arena of sorts, you're playing online and you're battling other players, so surely MOBA pretty much means nothing?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 19:20:03 GMT
TS says:
Okay, so. MOBA is a fairly new genre, at least in terms of its sudden increase in popularity. I began years ago with Defense Of The Ancients (DOTA), which was a Warcraft 3 mod. It basically takes elements of RTS and RPG and blends them together. It's only really starting to become popular, mostly thanks to DOTA2 and League Of Legends, admittedly, but I expect the genre is set to explode in popularity.

It's a multiplayer game (obviously) that is kind of like a tower defence game, but only in the sense that there are towers you need to defend. There are a lot of staples that the genre relies on, however:
- Each team has a base, with a series of towers leading to them, usually across three 'lanes'. These towers can attack player characters, and tend to do a lot of damage so it's impossible to attack it yourself.
- 'Creeps', or weaker AI controlled units will spawn at your base and move down each of the lanes to attack the towers. You need to assist them to defend them from enemy player characters, but also use them to defend you from the towers.
- Player characters have a finite set of abilities and everyone starts the match at level one. The idea is you use the AI enemies to level up, increase in power and improve your abilities (this is a big part of the strategy).
- The idea is each character is unique in terms of skills and stats, and you play one that you enjoy the style of. As with beat em ups, some are easier than others and balancing is a huge part of it. Knowing what an enemy can do is as important as knowing what you can do.

It's a genre that relies heavily on teamwork, and generally has a wide variety of characters to play as. League of Legends has about 20(?) and DOTA2 even more. LOTR: GOBE has about 16 I think, but more are on the way with DLC. I personally love the genre, despite having only played a couple. Once you get past the elitist community (teamwork being such a big deal, if you don't do your part properly you get a lot of whiners).

Any questions? :P

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 19:28:00 GMT
I think that explains it pretty well ;) - thanks.

"but more are on the way with DLC."

I saw 2-3 characters when I was looking on the PS store earlier to see what had been added today.

Posted on 20 Dec 2012 09:27:58 GMT
Datolite says:
Can't believe you didn't mention HoN!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Dec 2012 10:08:32 GMT
Bunga says:
"It's only really starting to become popular, mostly thanks to DOTA2 and League Of Legends, admittedly, but I expect the genre is set to explode in popularity."

Think we're already there to be honest. The big LoL tournaments get hundreds of thousands of live viewers, if it and Starcraft 2 are on at the same time, LoL streams get more viewers.

Definitely a very popular genre now, going by the e-sports statistics.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 14:09:51 GMT
TS says:
Ha ha, sorry Datolite! Heroes of Newerth too! :)

Bunga - while I won't deny it's popular now, far more than it ever was, what I mean to say is I think it's about to properly take off as a genre. More and more are getting made every day and I think it'll spill over to the mainstream at some point. It is obviously very popular now, but I meant more as a wider knowledge thing - if you ask your everyday gamer what a MOBA is they likely wouldn't know, but that'll change I expect.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  6 Dec 2012
Latest post:  21 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions