Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Very far OT - Movie Soundtracks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Feb 2014 15:51:15 GMT
We were having a discussion in work this afternoon about how movies were much better in the 80's and 90's than they are today, and despite modern techonology and special effects, I couldnt really think of many recent films that I expect ot be considered classics in the coming years, and yet there are many that I look back upon extremely fondly, and will watch repeatedly but objectively speaking, would consider them technically inferior.

However, I think I have cracked it - its all down to the Music / score.

Pretty much every film that I love and will watch again and again has a very memorable soundtrack / score.

Would the Rocky series be as good without Gonna Fly Now, Eye of the Tiger, or Burning Heart? Would Star Wars be the same with the Imperial March (see Ep 1 for proof) or would Dirty Dancing have ever been such a hit without the Music they chose for it?

Other examples would be Indiana Jones, Top Gun, Jaws, James Bond Films, Rambo, The Terminator, The Goonies, Gladiator, Jurrassic Park, The Godfather, Saturdy Night Fever, The Bodyguard, Pulp Fiction, Purple Rain, Gremlins. The list could go on.

I think most of these would be far less memorable without the music, and with that in mind, why doesnt hollywood seem to pay that much attention any more?

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 15:54:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Feb 2014 15:54:28 GMT
Predator! Simple as the best, ever!

It's that good, I've used this theme tune in the backgroud whilst playing battlefield 3, naked..

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:00:18 GMT
Yeah Hollywood has a lot to thank John Williams for ; )

In fact I still maintain the Man of Steel really missed the iconic John Williams, so much so it didn't feel like a Superman film. The one we had was so forgettable that .. well I cant even remember it. ; )

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:01:47 GMT
Fight Club - The Pixies: Where is my mind?
007 The World is Not Enough - title track

For these two alone, 90s wins ;)

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:07:39 GMT
RAB says:
You can't mention the 90s and not bring up the ENTIRE soundtrack to The Lion King, along with 'You've Got a Friend in Me' from Toy Story.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:10:22 GMT
Good point. I wasnt thinking about Disney or childrens films.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:14:33 GMT
noblood says:
Apocalypse Now, Flight of the Valkyries.
Platoon, Adagio for strings.
Omen, Oh Fortuna.

oh and Breakfast Club, Don't You Forget About Me. (I'll get me coat).

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:17:54 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Feb 2014 16:20:05 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:19:56 GMT
Is it bad that I really like that song?

Where does Donnie Darko sit? Because although the film was 2001, the songs were all 80s. Cracking sound track, Tears for Fears, Echo & The Bunnymen, INXS.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:20:23 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Just like in Middle Earth where there's 'one ring to rule them all', when it comes to movie soundtracks there is one movie to rule them all... Dirty Dancing!

Iiii'veee had the time of my life. No I never felt like this befooorree...

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:20:31 GMT
RAB says:
Simple Minds are one of my favourite bands. Don't You, despite being a proper choon, isn't even close to being their best song.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:25:52 GMT
noblood says:
I bet it made them the most money - that film was huge in the 80s (dated now though).

Got nothing against Simple Minds, they were a good band. I think it is the stigma of being attached to a film that was a brat pack vehicle.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:30:09 GMT
Nothing wrong with the bratt pack. I see so stigma in being attached to any successful film. I first heard Gavin Rossdales solo stuff when I heard the XXX soundtrack, went and bought the entire album after that.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:30:46 GMT
MF says:
The Mission -- amazing film with an amazing soundtrack.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:31:33 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Waaaaaaandy Nuuuuumuuuuun!

I'll try and throw a recentish film out there, Drive (2011) had a really good soundtrack that set the atmosphere perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:32:22 GMT
"Waaaaaaandy Nuuuuumuuuuun!"

Says the man who's seen Family Guy. ;)

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:40:21 GMT
Inception had a very good score.

David Arnold, Craig Armstrong, Hanz Zimmer, Thomas Newman and most Tarantino efforts return great soundtracks.

Trainspotting was great and most Prince films have half decent efforts.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:45:00 GMT
RAB says:
I really enjoyed Drive but I can't say I remember much about the soundtrack. Possibly because it was minimalist like the film?

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 16:48:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Feb 2014 16:49:16 GMT
As for song soundtracks (as opposed to musical scores) I think Tarrantino always has excellent Soundtracks, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are two of my favs.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 16:52:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Feb 2014 16:55:36 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Lots of synthpop and electronic music. Maybe I remembered it because I listen to a lot of the stuff they used.

I'd also put Moon's soundtrack in there. The main theme is brilliant.

EDIT:

Couple of Drive songs: Real Hero - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

Nightcall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 19:09:21 GMT
James Horner - Aliens

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 19:19:47 GMT
Give me a Scorcese soundtrack any day - Taxi Driver is outstanding and certain tracks from Raging Bull are superb - I even had the main Raging Bull theme played at my Fathers funeral (cause he loved it - it was not just because I did!). My point is movie soundtracks can mean a lot.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 21:40:45 GMT
Buffalo Soldiers (Joaquin phoenix, US army base in Germany) has a superb soundtrack.

As does The Rules Of Attraction, (James van der beek, Jessica biel etc). Both awesome films too.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 21:57:28 GMT
Rab

Disagree with you totally on Drive, it has a great soundtrack in the vain of the great 80s crime films like To live and die in L.A. Love Kavinsky's nightcall and Martinez's Tangerine dream influenced synth score.

Posted on 6 Feb 2014 01:26:52 GMT
How The Lost Boys has not been mentioned yet causes me great dismay, easily one of the best movie soundtracks ever.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  5 Feb 2014
Latest post:  6 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions