Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Next Gen Needs To Go Back To Its Roots

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Nov 2013 12:04:03 GMT
ASH says:
Absolute Rip Off Xbox One games And Ps4 Games 47.00 to 49.00 each when xbox 360 and ps3 games are 35.00 to 40.00 and there the same games just the graphics are slightly improved why pay an extra 10.00 to see a persons face have more detail and surrounding buildings what happend to gaming recently Sony And Microsoft have forgot the number one rule Gaming itself not watching Netflix on your xbox or watching lovefilm on ps4 its a games console not a Skybox Or a Virgin Box And 3d in gaming a complete waste of time

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:05:07 GMT
Haven't you got some pokemon to collect?

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 12:05:28 GMT
ASH says:
What's Your Opinion On This

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:09:38 GMT
Did you ever own an N64? Games are cheaper now than they've ever been. I'm going to assume that you're around 16-19 if thats ok, correct me if i'm wrong, but I remember having to save for 6 months to buy Donkey Kong 64, which was 80! You take into consideration that inflation has pushed prices of everything else that probably about 100 in todays money. Games have sat at around 30-50 since about the mid 90s, its a shock that we arent paying 60 for new games.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:14:33 GMT
ASH says:
Im 23 i just think that paying 47.00 to 49.00 for a slightly polished look on the game is not good enough the gameplay is more of the same on xbox 360 and Ps3 i don't mind paying 47.00 upwards if there is major changes to the game that was on an xbox 360 or ps4

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 12:17:30 GMT
"What's Your Opinion On This"

Much ado about nothing. Games are always more expensive at the start of a new generation but will level out after a while.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:19:12 GMT
Same thing happens at the start of every generation. Do you not remember the launch of the 360? The games were 50 everywhere, took about 2 years for the prices to drop to 40. As I said though, games are cheaper now than they've ever been, they have always been 30 - 50 since the mid 90s. You take anything else that cost that price back then and it probably costs about 60 - 80 now. CDs for example, I remember chart CDs being 6.99 and 4.99 for non chart stuff. Now its 10 - 15 for chart stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:22:00 GMT
ASH says:
I know they will level out at some stage but the fact is there just polished graphics wise from what a game would be on a earlier version

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:23:28 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Dec 2013 10:04:54 GMT]

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 12:29:46 GMT
"I know they will level out at some stage but the fact is there just polished graphics wise from what a game would be on a earlier version"

I'd like to see you play BF4 with 64 player MP on a PS3/360 or 18 player Ghosts

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 12:31:18 GMT
The only time that this was different was Snes/Megadrive - PS1/N64. Its a big gamble for developers to make a brand new game on a new untested console, so they stick to what they know will sell until they get used to the new developement ground. Once they've got the hang of the new console and theres a big enough install base they will start making new games with new experiences. Until then you can either pay the asking price or continue to play the 360.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 12:45:49 GMT
They need to claw back their investment somehow from the smaller install base.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 13:10:13 GMT
kinjoking says:
dont forget one of the reasons why CDs were introduced into gaming was their cheap manafacturing and distribution combined with their massive memory capabilities. cartridges from the n64 were very expensive to produce and had limited data potential.

the fact that CDs are now creeping up towards what my new Resi 2 cost me 50 is a bit worrying, since if we are going to start paying that much again, id rather have a new cartridge.

dont forget that the cost of making a game with high end graphics and gameplay capabilities cost the Devs tens of thousands more pounds/dollars, so obviously the cost has to passed onto the consumer, Devs wont make games that dont make them any money. just have to accept that if you want high end games, you have to pay high end prices.

old rules of cheap CDs for new games dont apply now.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 13:17:11 GMT
P. Marck says:
If I remember correctly N64 games were priced around 42 to 45 but still that was slightly cheaper than PS4/XO games.

One of the thing that annoys me with the PS4/XO is that they all need to install on the storage device so no longer possible to play the games off the disc. :-/

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 13:24:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2013 13:27:01 GMT
AndyBSG says:
The increased cost of games is no different to what happened in the leap from to PS2/Xbox to PS3/360 and there's so many reasons to explain why.

- Not as many Xbones/PS4's out so the sales of titles initially will be much lower. So, they need make more money per game sold in the launch period

- Developers have had to learn new tech and invest in new hardware and one off costs to develop for the new consoles. So, they need to cover the cost of those investments.

- Games now are a LOT cheaper than they were in the days of cartridges so overall the cost has gone down since the days of the SNES/Megadrive.

- People seem to ignore a little thing called 'inflation'... 50 20 years ago was a LOT more money than 50 nowadays is. If you compare SNES prices in real terms to PS4/XBone prices you'll see that gaming was a lot more expensive back then.

Early adaptors are always going to pay the premium price but in two years time the cost of hardware and software will drop... As it has done in every single generation since consoles launched.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 14:24:19 GMT
Why The Need To Capitalise Every Word?

If you're not happy with what's on offer then don't buy. Simple as.
Ultimately, you're comparing products at the height of their power (eg. Last of Us on PS3) with consoles that have been out for a miniscule amount of time and have huge untapped power. Any early adopter is going to be brutally aware of this fact.

It's not just improved graphics you're getting. You're getting quicker processing speed, larger multiplayer modes, (supposedly) less slow-down in-game, ability to multi-task (ie game whilst on skype; watch a film, whilst visiting IMDB etc)

If it's not what you're after, get a PC?

Financial justification from the developers may well be that they have to recoup the additional development costs for the next gen from a much smaller market and so they can't offer the games at the same pricepoint as the 'old-gen (for want of a better phrase) which has a larger market in which to sell copies.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 14:38:07 GMT
P. Marck says:
Considering they're charging 45-55 they could've gone with SD Cards or their own proprietary Game Cards because the loadings are a lot faster and overall much more safer than a disc.

Nintendo has always used cartridges/cards on their portable consoles and Sony now has begun too on the Vita, though the Vita unfortunately seems to be going nowhere.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 14:39:44 GMT
Go and price up a 50GB flash memory card and compare that to the price of a plastic blue ray disk.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 14:52:25 GMT
P. Marck says:
Like I said, they could create their own proprietary game cards like Nintendo has done with Blu-ray and SD Cards, Mr. Know It All.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 14:56:19 GMT
The cost of developing their own system would surely make games even more expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 14:56:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2013 14:57:57 GMT
The raw materials and manufacturing costs are more expensive in an SD card by many multiples than that of a simple blue ray disk - or nintendo proprietary version. I'm not being a know-it-all I'm explaining why games don't come on solid state memory cards nowadays - especially when you're talking 40GB-50GB+ games.

Posted on 28 Nov 2013 15:07:15 GMT
P.Marck

Sounds like a tacky clothes shop to me

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 17:38:40 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 28 Nov 2013 17:39:50 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  28 Nov 2013
Latest post:  28 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions