Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Changing their GAME

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jan 2013 15:33:40 GMT
So GAME are trying a new tactic and have partnered with EA and will be doing in-store events. The events will be a after hours lock-in where anyone attending will get to play a upcomming game before RD, snacks and drinks will be laid on by EA.

Januaries game will be Dead Space 3, a list of participating stores and dates can be found on GAME's website. I can't access it at work but I'll update this post later with the list.

So what does everyone think? Too little too late for the ailing video games retailer or could this help improve their flagging sales?

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 15:38:27 GMT
RAB says:
When GAME were going through admin last year people were calling for this exact thing. If done right I think it's a good thing, although if it's only restricted to stores in the big cities there won't be much point.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 15:55:41 GMT
From what I remember of the list it was only the big stores that will be doing it.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 15:57:48 GMT
I think its a fantastic idea. They could hold competitions, is a good way for people to meet like minded individuals and its a brilliant way to keep brand loyalty, think of the money you save by shopping at Amazon rather than GAME, now think that the extra £5-£10 you pay for a game is going towards a social club as well as a store.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 16:04:57 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Beer and early release gaming before going to the pub......Is this the future???

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 16:08:54 GMT
I think it's a terrible idea. That's largely down to the fact that I wouldn't want to meet other people like me. I have to have a long bath after meeting you lot up at Expo each year.

Gaming is my guilty little secret. I don't want my neighbours knowing.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 16:10:31 GMT
Haha, we'll see you there then Stoph :P

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 16:28:58 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 2 May 2013 16:04:29 BDT]

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 19:45:26 GMT
Dela says:
What?!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 20:54:07 GMT
Matthew says:
Sounds like a good spirited idea. Just a shame they've closed so many stores, I don't have one anywhere near me. And don't have a clue where the nearest store is to me that hasn't been closed..

Hope they consider re opening stores, so there's 1 store in every town/city in areas they've shut stores down in.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 20:56:50 GMT
Hunter says:
Lock In dates and Places -

8th January 2013: Newcastle

9th January 2013: White Rose, Leeds

9th January 2013: Kingston

11th January 2013: Watford

13th January 2013: Sheffield Meadowhall

13th January 2013: Cardiff

13th January 2013: Bluewater

15th January 2013: Nottingham

15th January 2013: Southampton

17th January 2013: Norwich

17th January 2013: Reading

19th January 2013: Bristol

20th January 2013: Thurrock

20th January 2013: Manchester

7th February 2013: Belfast

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 21:17:45 GMT
They done one of these a few weeks ago for the Wii U where you could play it a few weeks ahead.

But this will not make me wanna buy anything from Game. EA very rarely put something out that I would wanna buy. If they stop being ridiculous with their prices then maybe I'll come back.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 21:36:59 GMT
Seeing as my nearest one is about 4hrs drive I wouldn't be able to go even if I wanted to.

Posted on 7 Jan 2013 22:18:00 GMT
Hunter says:
Closest to me are Nottingham or Sheffield but there is no way I would want to be there at night in either City.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 22:47:52 GMT
Jeez Hunter, thankfully they are avoiding Glasgow .....now you really don't want to be there at night - its bad enough having to work there during the day mate.GAME are finished , I never go near them, HMV are totally out of touch as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 23:00:54 GMT
Matthew says:
Agree, pity they haven't got any local to me in a nice quiet town in the evening lol.

Literally every store in my county is closed. Totally unfair on the staff there as my local were nice people and actual gamers who actually talked a great deal of sense and offered sound advice.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 23:03:33 GMT
Hunter says:
We have one in our quiet town but it never get's these events. Shame to be honest.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 23:07:35 GMT
Matthew says:
I agree, my areas town center is dead after 5pm on a weekday. The ideal place to hold such an event if they hadn't closed the local store here.

Hope they keep this idea going when they choose to revive some of their stores.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 07:54:59 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Game and EA, joining forces. Isn't that the first sign of the Apocalypse?

"Most we're sporting beards and glasses and couldn't keep their eyes off the younger kids."

They were probably thinking "I hope the whiny brats f- off."

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 08:28:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2013 08:29:55 GMT
AndyBSG says:
"Closest to me are Nottingham or Sheffield but there is no way I would want to be there at night in either City."

But Nottingham's a lovely place... If you just ignore the fact it's the gun crime capital of the UK!

I came within a whisker of taking a job there a few years ago but turned it down after spending a night there for the interview and experiencing the wonders of Nottingham Town Centre on a Thursday night.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 08:38:55 GMT
Equinox80 says:
"Closest to me are Nottingham or Sheffield but there is no way I would want to be there at night in either City."

Meadowhall is no where near Sheffield city centre and even if it was, it's fine. Not sure if the same can be said of Nottingham though.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 08:45:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2013 08:47:39 GMT
This is a good idea in principle but as others have said, what poor locations to have these events. The two most baffling on the list is blue water and thurrock! Seriously who is gonna make the effort on a mid week night to go all the way to an out of town shopping mall just to have a few crisps and play a game a week early.

These events have come far too late with a serious lack of stores still open the choice of venue is rather limited. These should be in more localised towns and not just big cities.

Game could set up a gaming league and different stores could have teams to compete online against other stores on a variety of games. Get a few freebies on the go and this would be a winner. People would start to respect the game brand and become more loyal and wouldn't care if the internet was a few quid cheaper.

One of my mates was seeing a girl for a few months last year who worked in a game store in London. In the short time they were going out (3 months) the amount if free stuff she gave him was obscene. T shirts, free codes for Xbox live downloads both arcade and on demand stuff plus loads of stuff like figurines and statues that came with collectors editions. I met her a few times and she said the staff used to get loads of free stuff from game companies which if some of this was used as give aways on themed gaming nights would go down a storm.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 09:12:21 GMT
"But Nottingham's a lovely place... If you just ignore the fact it's the gun crime capital of the UK!"

Don't listen to the Daily Mail Andy, Nottingham has never had the highest gun crime in the UK, I believe that honour goes to Bradford. Nottingham just had a couple of high profile incidents which the media picked up on.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 09:31:11 GMT
My local GAME would be great for this if not for one thing. The shop is tiny! They can barely fit all the shelves in let alone a load of people in for a gaming evening.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 09:35:21 GMT
Thanks for the dates, I'll be sure to avoid Bluewater on the 13th. The place is pack normally but if it's going to be full of more spotty nosed brats, then i'll stay away.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  7 Jan 2013
Latest post:  10 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions