Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

mmorpg's which rival wow

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2014 15:25:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2014 15:26:42 GMT
Hello All,

With some MMORPG talk in one of the other threads, its peaked my interest.

As we know, WOW is pretty much THE MMORPG most people play.

But I was thinking, what others lately do people play which rival WOW, in the mainstream sense. (Ie, Not free Steam games, Ragnok 2, Lord of the Rings)

The ones that springs to mind are:

(I've played)
Star Wars The Old Republic - Played for months, but end game is bugged. Believe it's gone downhill recently
Rift - Got to level 30 ish with a healer, and got bored real quick
Star Wars Online - Wasn't what it was cracked up to be
Guild Wars 2 - Not got to end game, but got bored after I got to level 35 ish with my Warrior. Beautiful scenery I might add
Warhammer - Loved this with WOW, was brilliant (Goblin Hunter!!) - Believe the servers are shut down now?
Age of Conan - Got to end game (level 80??), but only because a lot of these were offline levels, got to end game and found it dead.

(I've seen/heard about)
Aion
Tera
EVE (Forget this, it's stupid :D)

Are there any out now with a free trail to have a crack at, as I'm currently going through a barren spell with games on my PC (PS4 is out of bounds for a little while, so Fifa, Killzone & AC4 have been put on hold).

Wanna give a MMORPG a good going over (with simple mechanics and easy LOOTZZZ) to tide me over till PS4 & Elder Scrolls Online become available..

Anything is welcome..

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 15:29:58 GMT
kinjoking says:
when Elder scrolls online comes out. it will rule all...maybe :P

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 15:39:09 GMT
Honestly WoW is just the most complete MMO on the market, played it a lot a few years ago just after uni and between jobs. Haven't played it in years now to be fair but at the time there simply was no rival and from what I can see there still isn't.

I don't think ESO will come close to WoW... in fact I don't even forsee it being good at all, from an Elder Scrolls fan who started playing the series back in Daggerfall. It just doesn't look like a game in TES series and the whole set hundreds and hundreds of years before the original games is just a cop out so they don't end up messing up their lore

Tera seems fun but only for the graphics and combat system, still the same old grindy eastern style MMO

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 15:41:42 GMT
RAB says:
wow

such rival

very mmo

epic gear

wow

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 15:42:11 GMT
Datolite says:
Why don't you look into a MoBA, I'd suggest Heroes of Newerth.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 15:48:10 GMT
MoBA??

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 15:49:56 GMT
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena basically the only ones worth talking about are Dota 2 and LoL. Although for a change of pace and slightly different mechanics there is Smite and maybe Awesomenauts

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 15:51:26 GMT
kinjoking says:
i was being deliberately controversial, but in fairness they are putting in mega resources into TESO so i cant see how it will be bad, bit unfair to compare that with a franchise thats been doing it since the internet began lol, everything is a work in progress to start with.

in my opinion WoW looks dated now anyway and its time something fresh came along no matter what that is.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 15:57:28 GMT
Not a chance sorry. I've tried both League of Legends and DOTA 2 and I think I've won 1 game. Especially when the game is designed where you can actually Pay to win..

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:02:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2014 16:03:11 GMT
Datolite says:
LoL is absolutely horrific. HoN is a much better game than LoL.

Edit : Reccy, HoN isn't pay to win.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:11:01 GMT
Matthew says:
I thought the new rebooted FF14 was a decent game, also some of the bosses actually look like bosses taken out of a proper Final Fantasy title, music and all.

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 16:14:02 GMT
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Anyone played this? Any good? Free Trail?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:14:32 GMT
Matthew says:
I have, as said. And yes it's decent.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:19:49 GMT
Sorry, Roman Numerals & the amount of Final games out...

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 16:25:52 GMT
Neither Dota 2 nor LoL are pay to win btw, any/all items you buy are all cosmetic, you just dont know how to play ;)

I'd recommend Guild Wars 2, imo there is only end game in GW2, unless you're interested in the story. I found that GW2 was more of a single player experience in an MMO world. Whereby its all about the story missions. Once you get to end game you've got maybe 15 hours of playtime then you've done all but the super elite stuff.

EVE is incredible but so, so complex. Aion is good, Tera is good but a little hack n Slahsy, not really much else worth talking about tbh.

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 16:32:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2014 16:33:59 GMT
Sanchez says:
From the ones I've played I can safely say in my opinion that The Secret World is the best. Modern day survival, lots of content, good progression, fun to play and absorbing.

FF XIV is good but I find the fighting mechanics boring.

Rift and Tera are okay.

WoW is old and boring.

Edit: I forgot GW2, it's good and I've tried to enjoy it but there is just something about it, when I get a char to level 7 it's just so dull!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:35:49 GMT
7! Ive got 2 lvl 80s! I think that GW2 is flawed though tbh. Theres not enough emphasis on playing through the story with friends and too much emphasis on getting in a massive zerg with people you dont know to kill an area boss.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:36:22 GMT
Datolite says:
GW1 was awesome though, Will. Did you ever play?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:37:18 GMT
LOL/DOTA = By the time I realise who I am and his skills, I have to look at what I'm pressing and then I panic, come out in sweat spots and cry like a little girl.. Just like Dark Souls.. Too over complex and difficult for me!

Don't forget, I'm an old-ish man of 28 going on 58.. Reaction times are about 2 weeks and have a memory little a shiv...

GW2 - I got a engineer to 25 ish, found it too difficult to your own quests/story so started a Warrior. Enjoyed this a lot more as I breezed through a lot of mobs, quests and was getting into it, but was just a bit boring tbh.. The bosses were being ignored in towns and on the map and the items I got were stupidly low for my level, so to get anywhere, I had to purchase items.

This is going back 6-12 months ago, so unsure what the game is like now though

Got a mate who plays EVE, and said you need both A LOT of: Time, Patience and forgivability (even a word??). Once your ship is destroyed, start again (Think it's changed now to have your ship insured)

May give Aion, Tera, & FF14 a try, see if they have free trails..

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:43:26 GMT
Yeah, loved it. I think my closing /age was something like ~900 hours. I had one of each character, all max level in end game armour. I used to Droks runs with my D/A for 1k per person.

@Reccy I understand the frustration with Moba's, they are very elitist and have the most poisonous community I have ever encountered, most Russian teenager who scream at you if you make a tiny mistake.

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 16:44:02 GMT
kinjoking says:
TESO voice cast announced

John cleese - will play Caldwell the Lovable Daedric Prince
Kate beckinsale- Will Play Queen Ayren, and Queen of high Elves
Bill nighy- will play High King Emerich the merchant prince
Alfred Molina (spider man 2) - will play Abnur Tharm the old wizard
Michael gambon- will playThe Blind Prophet
Malcolm Mcdowell- will play Molag Bal
Lynda Carter (wonder woman 70's, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim)- will play Azura Daedric princess
Peter Stormare- will play Jonunn the Skald King
Jim Ward (Wall-e, Despicable me)- will play Mannimarco the renegade High elf
Jennifer Hale (Mass effect)- will play Lyris Titanborn the Nord half giant
Kevin Richardson- will play Sai Sahan a Noble martial artist.

exciting list for sure!

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 16:46:27 GMT
AndyBSG says:
I've played a fair few

WoW - played fairly seriously during the BC and WOTLK expansions.
City Of Heroes - Played from launch and loved it
D&D Online - This was a VERY well designed game but was killed by a lack of content.
Lord Of the Rings - Found this very dull
Matrix Online - Was absolutely terrible!
FFXI - A dull and frustrating grindfest

There's a new MMO from the guy who made Dark Age Of Camelot which is pretty much the grandfather of MMO's called Camelot Unleashed or something.

If you're looking to try one of the less well known ones out give D&D Online a go if it's still around as it was free to play last time I heard and it really is quite good.
Other than that I've tried loads of other

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:49:52 GMT
Datolite says:
Yeah, me too man. I was leader of the best alliance in the game. Was such a good time. We used to be more PvP though.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 16:57:06 GMT
The only PVP I did was that place in factions where you could get the extra skills from, I've never been good at PVP in these games.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2014 17:00:55 GMT
Datolite says:
Fair play, Hall of Heroes was mainly where we played. British Bulldogs, Powerpuff Fairies, and other guilds. Good times.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  23 Jan 2014
Latest post:  27 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions