Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Gamer 'Code'?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Mar 2014 11:56:59 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Hey all.

Now that I'm an elderly man (25 and counting) I seem to notice gaming never comes up in conversation other than between close friends of mine that are gamers (sort of half the reason most of us are here I guess).

However there must be many more people out there into it but are too afraid to be stereocast. I'm very open to what I'm into...granted my now missus first reaction when we met was the usual 'gamer boy' however I never hide my hobbies and new shed find out sooner or later.

Anyway, over christmas I was in Ireland with the missus visiting her family and got talking to her sisters husband. Was a very long, awkward conversation up until I mentioned I played PC games. Anyway long story short we've now been friends since and regulary game online and I'll be meeting him for a beer over the weekend when Im back in Derry. Its mad to think how many people this day and age are still conscious of being stereotyped.

What do you lot think? Do you try slip gaming into conversations (at work or out) in the hope to get the conversation onto something you really enjoy. Or are you all out I'm into gaming and not fussed what people think?

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 12:05:30 GMT
kinjoking says:
all my friends know i game, even my ex knew i was a big gamer, but its not something i really talk about with 'outsiders' lol

fact is, people just dont understand that the videogame industry is predominantly an adult male hobby/job. people still think that gaming is just for kids like it was during the 8os. times have changed.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 12:09:51 GMT
At 36, i make no secret of my gaming passion , it's what i enjoy in my recreation time so i chat away about it to whoever is interested. Gaming is so much more mainstream now than it used to be , that generally most guys where i work are into it , on whichever platform they prefer.
If i'm talking to someone and they show no interest whatsovever and this is just in a casual conversation, then in all honesty i just drop the subject as i wouldn't want to listen to some dude rant on about football for ages, it's just being polite i suppose, and then move to to see if theres another topic in common. If not i dont seek to make casual conversation with that person again.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 12:11:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2014 12:18:47 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Completely agree, I must admit even at my age I am abit concious about getting 'too' into talking about gaming. Plus I'd definately never tell my boss I'm taking the day off to play games, which is pretty much what I did yesterday.

Do you think this will ever change as like you said the gaming generations getting older so hopefully our kids will not know any different. Me and my 16yo brother are the only 2 in my family into gaming (out of quite a large family). So growing up it was such a niche hobby. My Mum would always barter me to get off and play out, thing is I still did loads of sports but even then it was seen as lazy and reclusive.

Edited for Kinjoking ;).

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 12:17:16 GMT
kinjoking says:
think you meant Niche hobby :)

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 12:32:32 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 12:51:10 GMT
MF says:
When I mention gaming to people my age ( in their 40's ) - they say I should grow up.
When I mention to younger people I game they look at me as Im far too old to be a gamer.
I cant win.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:05:37 GMT
I guess it really depends on who you are talking to.

When I worked at Pizza hut there were heaps of folk my age to talk to about games and stuff.
Now I'm working for my Dad's company and there's only 1 other person that works here who is not really interested in games hence why I spend lots of time on here.

I'm not really ashamed of my hobby but I don't usually bring it up in conversations with people I don't know well.
Although there's a dude in my college class (I do accounting and am 1 of the 3 men in my class) that is into PC games, which is cool as it's a nice distraction from the tedium of accountancy.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 13:07:13 GMT
25 Year old Derry man who's into PC gaming, If I didn't know better I'd say you're describing me haha

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:16:46 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Bloody hell better keep my head down this weekend then haha!

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:20:41 GMT
Alien Girl says:
I'm a 53 year old female so imagine the looks/laughter I get when I say I'm into gaming!!! But then, I'm old enough not to give a sh...

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:22:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2014 13:23:16 GMT
I'll be outa town this weekend so you'll be safe... for now

Anyway on topic I guess. I have a few mates who like games but none of them are into it as much as me I'd say. They usual COD and FIFA and that is the only two games they will own and buy the new one every year. But none of them play them as much as I would

I literally play everything and anything though and would have no problem chatting about it with someone, I'm not bothered about my mates not liking them that much though as we have plenty of other things to talk about as well

My biggest problem is having a GF who is not interested in games in the slightest, she just couldn't care. So when I'm with her I'm generally never playing anything, but I have enough me time were this isn't an issue :)

I don't hide it either... I have a Dual Monitor PC set up with a pretty freaking huge tower + desk + chair + a bunch of gaming peripherals in the living room of my flat so you literally cannot miss it, it takes up most of the room haha

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:24:53 GMT
Gaming and hookers.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 13:38:33 GMT
Out of all by hobbies and passions gaming is the least embarrassing so I tell everyone.

Its my nightly strolls wearing nothing waders full of salad cream that gets me the most grief .... pfff prudes !

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 13:38:55 GMT
"My biggest problem is having a GF who is not interested in games in the slightest"

That's something I have fortunately avoided, my missus does enjoy the odd game. When Skyrim came out we were playing it side by side (me on the PC and her on the 360). She loves the sims and Civ 5 and Age of wonders etc so we often play those games together.

However she did not appreciate Brutal doom (the mod for the classic FPS game) and constantly complained about the volume and did not buy the "but it's not as good if I turn it down" line.
She's also not very keen on the SFX in BF3 but I keep telling her that the sound team did a stellar job and it would be rude not to have it turned up loud.
Yes I have headphones but that's not the point! ;p

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 14:00:43 GMT
I have a similar problem. My mrs loves The Sims, the Lego games and the Tomb Raider games, but doesnt seem to think that the SFX in games which have lots of bad language or coarse jokes are good, god help her when I get hold of South Park.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:01:44 GMT
HOOP DOGG says:
I'm 40 & never cared what people think so I'm happy to mention gaming if it comes up in conversation. I've made a few new friends who are also gamers through work but in my current job only my boss is a gamer.
My in-laws mock it but they play golf & bridge which I happen to think is a load of elitist b*ll*cks so each to their own I suppose.

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:04:29 GMT
"but they play golf & bridge "

So they just stand on bridges and fire golf balls into traffic? Sounds like fun!

I'll get my coat...

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:13:21 GMT
Well I guess that's not 100% true she likes the Mario games and Mario Kart, etc

But I'm a bit of Street Fighter fanatic who also loves big sprawling complicated RPG's. So as you can imagine they can be difficult to entice her to try them

I would love to find some games we could play together though

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:15:07 GMT
i'm not ebarrassed about gaming at all, but i don't tend to talk about it much apart from with a couple of guys at work who've got 360's.

it's just annoying how a lot of people see it (gaming) as purely childish, or view gamers as pure loners. those very same people wouldn't think twice about someone sitting watching tv all day. maybe they'd think it a bit lazy, but certainly not unsociable or childish.

meh; i'm married with a full time job and moving house in a few weeks.....the wife doesn't game but doesn't hate me doing it so who cares what anyone else thinks :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2014 14:19:19 GMT
Exactly

I've had the "isn't gaming for loners/anti-social" thing thrown at me one night and then the very same person told me to be quiet because Xfactor was on hahaha

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:22:16 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Who said that ;)?!

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:44:05 GMT
My GF and I often play games together, so much so that I'm always very disappointed when a game does not have couch co-op through the whole campaign.

We love zombie related stuff, so resi evil etc was done, we were very excited about Dead Island but then found out it wasn't split screen and online co-op only. :(

I know a lot of people who game, but only my brother in my family play as well.
I've always been into games though my whole 32 years of life, so everyone knows that I love games.

But then I'm a big film buff too, so it's either gaming or films, never any live TV or much else.
Except books... and graphic novels... and music. hey ho!

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 14:46:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2014 14:47:14 GMT
Yeah I pretty much don't watch TV either (Unless live Football, I do love Football) but I spend a lot of my time watching movies and reading books as well

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 15:00:53 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Just me whos in the boat where my missus dislikes gaming, Films and any TV shows I like. Think I'll leave her in Derry this weekend I seem to have picked the short straw here.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  11 Mar 2014
Latest post:  14 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions