Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Original Resident Evil V's The Original Silent Hill

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Aug 2012 17:18:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2012 17:19:33 BDT
Having downloaded the original Silent Hill on my Vita yesterday I was wondering what people's thoughts are on SH and the Original RE.
Both look dated and the voice acting is terrible however my feelings are SH's atmosphere outshines RE.
The only copy I have of RE is the NCG remake which still looks lovely but I wont be downloading the PSN stores version for my Vita

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 17:34:47 BDT
Ooh ooh is Silent Hill back on PSN ?? And are they working on Vita now ?

I loved both and I know they have similarities but I think they are very different games and rather boring like both equally .

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 17:46:29 BDT
Rye-Rye-Vita says:
Vita had a new patch a couple of days ago Gaz. I have DL'd my PS1 games but not played any yet. Annoyed that Command & Conquer is not compatible at the moment :-(
I copied all of the minis that I have as well (most of them being PS+ freebies) but will probably delete most of these if they are rubbish . Defo keeping Speedball II though!

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 17:57:45 BDT
Silent Hill looks acceptable on the Vita, have only played about an hour into the game once I figured out how to sort the controls out and remap them (still not 100% sure how I did it though)
I'm seriously looking forward to getting stuck right into the game now though

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 21:39:04 BDT
R. Woolmer says:
isnt resi alot older than SH though?

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 00:29:00 BDT
Hubbard says:
Resident Evil 2 is by far the best PS1 Survival Horror game in my books.

Silent Hill 1 is definetly creepy, but the fact I can play that after sunset knocks it for me.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 08:08:21 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Good topic and a tough choice. Silent Hill was by far the scarier game for me, really got into my head, partly because some of the sounds and the change of the town were so similar to hallucinations I used to have as a kid when I had a high fever.

However I'd say Resident Evil was the better of the two. It felt more coherent as a whole package, better controls, more structure, an epic scope and just played better generally.

Silent Hill 2 nailed a lot that the first didn't whereas Resident Evil got so much right in the first game to the point that the Remake is my favourite because it's based on the game that arguably had the best structure.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 08:52:08 BDT
Cheers Rye, ill have to try hook my Vita up to wifi and update then ... yey i can play MGS on the vita !!!!

Silent Hill 2 is the scariest game ever IMO , that and Project Zero !

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 09:03:40 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Seconded, I was too scared to actually complete Silent Hill 2 (that and I was a bit stuck with virtually no ammo.) Project Zero had the same effect on me, really should dust off the PS2 and go back to them at some point.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 12:30:20 BDT
Trigger says:
I really like both games, for very different reasons. Silent Hill was brilliant because it was genuinely scary and it was a mind-f***. Resident Evil was like a perfect iteration of that classic zombie/horror premise - the abandoned mansion in the middle of nowhere filled with horrors. The puzzles in SH were infinitely superior and although rather abstract felt quite in tune with the distorted world. Resi had some pretty good puzzles but they were a lot more infrequent and straightforward. The combat in Resi was far better than SH, but then SH didn't really focus on combat and you were very deliberately underpowered. Both games had an excellent atmosphere though, although again, quite distinctly different - Resi's was one of mystery and more scholcky scares, whereas SH's was one of a very cloying dark atmosphere and a sensation of being alone in this confusing horror.

Anyway, I think both are great games, but they inhabit a very different space in broadly the same genre - SH is much more of a psychological horror while Resi is a lot more action-packed and clear-cut. I'm not sure I could honestly choose, although both are brilliant games. I'd say REmake and SH2 are respectively probably the best in each series.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 12:41:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2012 12:52:43 BDT
So I sat down to read your post Trigger with anticipation because I respect your opinion and by the end you conclude they're both as good as each other, just different. Brilliant :-D.

Silent Hill 2 edges it for me because the tone, depth of story and psychological fear factor is very very hard to create (never really been reproduced, even within its own franchise) and yet Team Silent are able to do it perfectly IMHO.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 13:09:13 BDT
Crixus says:
Cant remember SH all that much, any chance of highlighting some of the puzzles you mention trigger?

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 13:14:15 BDT
Speaking of Silent Hill I'm curious to see what the new film will be like. Some bits of the trailer looked good some look awful.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 13:27:24 BDT
i really enjoyed that 1st Silent Hill movie, not very faithful to the games in some ways, but had the atmoshere perfectly.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 13:29:56 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Didn't realise they were doing another Silent Hill, colour me interested. I thought the film was fairly good, evoked enough of the games' atmosphere in a couple of places but was let down by too many people in the cult thing (SH is more about the solitary) and Sean Bean's woeful accent. Why they insisted on him doing a poor American accent when he could've just been English without affecting the story is beyond me.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 13:39:17 BDT
You're in luck then G.hanks because Bean is back and brought his accent with him.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 14:10:32 BDT
the contorted guy tied up in barbed wire in the bathroom stall who comes alive in the silent hill movie - pretty much the sickest thing i've seen. fantastic tho. i really like that film. having not played any silent hill games i have no conflict with game plots, so as far as i'm concerned it's probs the best film based on a computer game there is.

with resi - REmake is astounding. scariest game i've played, (makes dead space look like mario) and superb production values. got stuck about 6 hours into it tho so never completed it lol. but i've seen it be played all the way thru by someone else, and from a technical and atmosphere viewpoint i can't imagine anything being better....

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 14:22:30 BDT
Yes

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 14:59:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2012 15:00:45 BDT
"the contorted guy tied up in barbed wire in the bathroom stall who comes alive in the silent hill movie - pretty much the sickest thing i've seen"

That was pretty nasty wasnt it ... that female copper burning to death freaked me out more though, i dont do fire and burning proper scares me!

Sean beans accent is attrocious isnt it bless, he is great actor too.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 15:18:37 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"You're in luck then G.hanks because Bean is back and brought his accent with him."

I believe the correct response is Nooooooooooooooooooo! Now I've got to go a find an asci facepalm. And here was me thinking I'd have an easy evening.

Seconded on the burning, was certainly well done. I did cheer when the woman got torn in two by the barbed wire. I hope the next film explores some more of the solitude and uncomfortable wrongness. Ie: if Sean Bean enters Silent Hill, it should be his character's Silent Hill.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 15:49:02 BDT
sean bean is harry mason. is that right? is harry mason a silent hill character? i just know sean bean's gonna play a bigger part in the second film.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 16:08:17 BDT
Crixus says:
Harry mason is the protagonist from the first SH, you also play his daughter in SH3

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 17:26:45 BDT
G. Hanks says:
If that's the case I wonder if the film is meant to be some kind of alternate prequel to the original Silent Hill. Would be interesting if he goes back and they retread some of the experiences from the original game. I hope if they do that they make it much more psychological as the first film was a bit too "burn the witch."

Posted on 1 Sep 2012 09:20:40 BDT
Crixus says:
Saw the trailer and I dont think its going to be psychological, looks like cheap scare tactics and things tacked on just for the 3d effect, cant see it being that great, hope im wrong

Posted on 1 Sep 2012 09:51:00 BDT
The trailer reminds me of Hellraiser 3 - Hell on Earth for some reason. Also it could have easily and probably more simply ignored any previous character to the franchise but maybe to its credit it doesn't. Harry's daughter looks to be the main protagonist. There looks to be a weird mash up of other well known horror films and the special effects range from interestingly original to just terrible. I'll certainly watch it when it comes out like I'd watch a new Hellraiser film because the core concept has always intrigued me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  30 Aug 2012
Latest post:  1 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions