Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 830 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2012 08:06:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2012 10:41:00 BDT
Hey all, just thought id start another 3DS thread akin to the Vita thread. The other one is MIA. This is for anyone who owns or is interested in the 3DS and would like to chat or play. Feel free to add me and feel free to post your friend code, mine is:

1118-0443-9293 - Cptn Cloroform (Will)
1590-5007-4878 - John Morris
2664-2890-0528 - D.A.Tremlett

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 19:25:41 BDT
Bumpety bump. If no one else joins in I may just chat to myself in here :p

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012 01:27:30 BDT
Matthew says:
Great idea, but friend codes for games like MK7, Kid Icarus etc are better.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 07:51:06 BDT
Each game has a specific friend code?

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 10:30:02 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

Good idea for the new thread,and that way we can keep all the wii u info seperate.

I will post my friend code when I get home from work.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 11:41:23 BDT
Yeah, I was getting a little annoyed by seeing new entries in the Wii U section, only for it to be someone saying that theyve played a 3DS game. We need to get more people involved, the Vita thread is very lively now.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 12:47:32 BDT
Thought i'd stick this in the right place (TAKE THAT TRIGGER!) :p

"First released on the Nintendo DS in 2006, New Super Mario Bros. has gone on to sell over 29 million copies worldwide. If it was a music single that'd make it the fourth biggest seller of all-time (ahead of anything by Elvis or The Beatles). It's also sold (slightly) more than either Call Of Duty: Black Ops or Modern Warfare 3 - despite them both being on multiple formats. And yet the odd thing is it's a game that not even diehard Nintendo fans are all that keen on.

Together with the completely different, yet almost identically named, entry on the Wii the New Super Mario Bros. titles sound like a game made in fan heaven. A return to Mario's two-dimensional roots the games promised a true sequel to Super Mario World, taking advantage of both modern technology and Nintendo's unparalleled history with the 2D platformer.

But where the previous games remain amongst the most lauded in video game history New Super Mario Bros. ended up just a competent retread. A curiously bland addendum to the classic series, the two New games lacked any of the imagination or invention of the earlier titles. And given their sales success it's unsurprising to find that the same is true of this new sequel.

Under no circumstances could New Super Mario Bros. 2 be considered a bad game - in fact if it were by anyone other than Nintendo there'd be no quibbling at all. The controls are perfectly judged and the level design is still as excellent as ever, even if it often fails the unspoken Nintendo promise of a new idea every level.

What you get instead is a peculiarly pointless gimmick about trying to collect over 1 million coins over the course of all your play. The game is absolutely obsessed with coins, which rather than appearing rarely now regularly explode on screen in a fountain of dozens at a time. Exactly why though is a secret known only to Nintendo, as they add almost nothing to the gameplay beyond granting more extra lives and making the game even easier than it already is.

The power-ups are disappointing too, with the only genuinely new one letting you fire golden fireballs that turn enemies into coins. There's an amusing-looking block-headed power-up but its primary use is to, you guessed it, generate more coins.

The Racoon Suit (and P-charge bar) from Super Mario Bros. 3 return and grant you the ability to fly, but there's rarely the chance to get much of a run-up for them. Most of the other pre-existing power-ups seem even more superfluous, with the mega and mini mushrooms (which make Mario bigger or smaller) appearing so rarely it's a wonder anyone bothered to include them at all.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 suffers from a number of such peculiar design decisions, perhaps the most bizarre being the way the background is blurred out when viewing the game in 3D. Exactly what this is meant to convey, other than that Mario is getting short-sighted in his old age, we've no idea but it's distractingly ugly. Especially as if you switch it to 2D the background suddenly moves into sharp focus and you can see all the detail.

Alas the art design is never interesting enough that you feel you're missing out on anything. The music is even worse, and so irredeemably boring and unimaginative it shames the Super Mario name more than anything else in the game. Everything from the gameplay to the presentation seems so far removed from the experimental beauty of Super Mario Galaxy, or even Super Mario 3D Land, that it seems impossible to reconcile it with the `real' Super Mario games.

Even the co-op options, which could've justified the whole game if properly supported with an online mode, seem half-baked. You can play through the whole of the main campaign with a friend, but only wirelessly and both people have to own a copy of the game. But in another utterly incomprehensible decision the camera is always focused on player one - despite the fact that both players obviously have their own screens.

The other main multiplayer mode is called Coin Rush, which takes three random levels from the main story and challenges to you to complete them within a strict time limit and while collecting as many coins as possible. The idea is you're mean to then swap your high scores via StreetPass, except of course because the levels are random the chances of you meeting anyone else that has done the same three is remote.

As negative as all this sounds we have to again reiterate that this is a very good 2D platformer. In mechanical terms it's far better designed than almost any other rival. But in terms of imagination and attention to detail it's one of the most disappointing games Nintendo has ever released.

Not because it isn't as good as its predecessors, but because it doesn't even try to be. This feels more like a yearly update than a proper sequel that the developers were genuinely interested in making. In short the Nintendo magic just isn't there.

In Short: Arguably the most disappointing Super Mario game ever made, and one that certainly doesn't deserve the world `New' at the beginning of its name.

Pros: In terms of controls and level design the Super Mario games still can't be beaten, even on their worst days. Coin Rush is an interesting, if flawed idea.

Cons: Far too reliant on past glories, with very little attempt to innovate or move away from the themes and settings of the past. Bungled co-op and weird 3D mode.

Score: 7/10

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/907120-new-super-mario-bros-2-review-a-leap-too-far#ixzz22NxfoK2Z"

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 13:31:05 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

I think that the demographic that will buy a vita will post on forums,wheras a lot of 3ds owners will be far too busy playing the latest pokemon game.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 13:35:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2012 13:35:21 BDT
John morris says:
So at the moment we are in the summer gaming drought,so what 3ds games are we waiting for ?

For me I want luigi's manson and animal crossing,the latter just works far better on a handheld console in my opinion.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 14:04:02 BDT
I agree, the 3DS is in a drought, im not touching New SMB2, wasnt going to even before this review. Im waiting for Luigis mansion, was waiting for MGS3d but decided to get the Vita version (may get it on 3DS at a later date) and looking forward to any Zelda game that may or may not be coming out in the near future. Games ive got/had are:

Zelda Ocarina of Time - Best Zelda ever!
Resident Evil: Revelations - Excelent
HAD Kid Icarus - completed it in a week, saw no replay value, good game but a little repetitive
HAD Mariokart 7 - bought on a wim, kinda wish I didnt sell it

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 18:24:27 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

To be fair there is always a bit of a drought for most platforms in the summer months,and yes I think you should have held onto mario kart 7.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 18:40:34 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I've really got to get Resident Evil: Revelations. Enjoyed the demo but due to general gaming backlog (many games on consoles, Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on DS) I'm not sure if I can justify the purchase at the moment. Somewhat hoping it'll drop further in price but think that may be naive for one of 3DS's bigger releases. Kid Icarus is also on my list to buy.

If y'all haven't played it then I highly recommend Ghost Recon. It's my favourite 3DS game so far (not counting Ocarina as a re-release) and does turn based strategy superbly. There's also plenty of content in the game, getting gold on all levels is a firm challenge and there's enough customisation to make for various strategic approaches. The general consenus from most critics is around 8/10 but I'd say it's an essential purchase for any 3DS owner.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 18:45:39 BDT
RIGHT! I have played on a 3DS XL at game and ive come to the conclusion that overall it is better than the 3DS. I am now in negotiations with the Mrs to see if I can have an early b'day pressie since the trade in offer ends on august 9th.

Heres a comparison of the 3DS vs the 3DS XL

Screen:- 3DS XLs screen is certainly bigger, side by side the screen dwarfs the 3DS. The 3DS screen seems a bit brighter than the XL but you can forgive this due to the extra size and lack of wobble. The 3D slider on the XL now has a little click to it on the off setting to prevent you from turning it on by accident. The bottom screen looks really nice with its extra size, since not many games use this screen for graphics it doesnt suffer due to the increased size. The top screen appears to be less glossy than the 3DS so is a lot easier to use in day light, it also has 3 fixed angles rather than just 2 which is nice, due to the extra size however you can see the pixel depth has taken a hit but this will be entirely a subjective issue, I for one dont really mind but other more pixel bias may not like the more visible jagged lines. The top screen seem somewhat heavier than the base unit on the XL meaning you need to support it more using your upper fingers, again this will be subjective, i played with it for about 20 minutes and it didnt bother me at all. I found the 3d easier on the eye aswell, it seemed more forgiving than the 3DS, you could move the unit more before the screen went fuzzy.

Console:- When closed the 3DS XL and 3DS didnt seem to differ in size too much, the XL looked ever so slightly thinner (its not, its about the same) but this is probably due to the extra dimensions on the other sides. When open the XL is damn sight larger. The ABXY buttons feel very similar so they are about even but the slider on the XL seemed to have more resistance giving it a slightly more robust feel but this could be because it newer, the shoulder buttons are a lot nicer, theyre bigger and they dont feel like a mobiles on/off button anymore, the Select, Home and Start buttons feel a lot nicer, now with their own face rather than one long button. The D-Pad seems the same too. The Matte finish looks really nice and will help to prevent finger prints aswell, the curved edges feel a lot nicer in your hand and due to the extra size I found that my hands werent crossing on the back of the unit which is a big bonus. The stylus sits in the left hand of the unit like in the DS Lite and is a full length one rather than a telescopic one, this is a massive plus as going from the DS Lite to the 3DS was rather annoying when it comes to using and storing the stylus in game, I often found my self not using the stylus in the 3DS due to it being an arse, I think with it in a more accesible place i'll go back to using the stylus.

One thing that does worry me though, the unit when in your hands is noticeably larger, but not too large that its an issue, once the circle pad pro is released, this may turn the thing into giant mess, but it surely cant be much worse than the original, we'll have to see.

All in all, I would say that anyone who has a 3DS an can afford to trade up, you would not be disappointed. If you cant quite afford it I would say dont worry, its not that much of an improvement to be worth strecthing for, this is more like the DS Lite to the DSI than is the DS to the DS Lite

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 22:48:22 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

You will find the larger form far more comfortable,also the rounded edges are far better over longer gaming sessions.

btw, My 3ds friend code is 1590-5007-4878

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 07:57:40 BDT
Ive added you now. Did you do a transfer or did you buy the XL outright?

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 09:45:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 09:47:44 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

I was lucky as my sister is buying my original 3ds,she already had a ds lite so this will be a nice upgrade and all her existing ds games will still play on it.

So I bought the 3ds xl outright for £189.00 and transfered my data when I got home at 12.30 a.m !

I will add you right now,btw I need your code too.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 09:51:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 09:55:07 BDT
John morris says:
" Review "

" Going for gold

At the time of writing, the 2012 London Olympics are in full swing. A global expression of unparalleled sporting excellence, the Games feature hordes of top-class athletes attempting to grab gold glory by taking part in events which are steeped in history and tradition; ultimately, the objective isn't to be innovative in your approach, but rather to be the best in your respective discipline.

It's an analogy which befits the latest Super Mario game almost perfectly; New Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't do anything revolutionary and certainly doesn't tear up the rulebook when it comes to video games starring Italian plumbers, but it confidently secures the top step on the podium regardless, largely because it does everything so brilliantly.

To stretch that possibly tenuous comparison even further, like a trained Olympic athlete, New Super Mario Bros. 2 showcases a hitherto unseen obsession with gold - possibly the game's single biggest innovation. Coins are no longer solely treated as a way of bagging more points and additional lives (the latter of which have become increasingly irrelevant in recent Mario games due to their abundance), but instead to serve as a collectible commodity, driving you forward and instilling an almost suicidal urge to grab as many as possible during each level.

A counter on the main map screen shows how many coins you've collected since you loaded the cartridge into your 3DS, and this steadily ramps up the more you play. While there's little incentive to collect coins other than bragging rights, this constant reminder of your progress serves as a surprisingly effective tool in getting you to snag as much cash as possible. You'll find yourself making risky jumps that you'd ordinarily ignore, just to secure a few more coins. The collectable element really does alter your mindset as you play, and for the better.

The surprisingly compelling Coin Rush mode adds another layer to this fascination with gold. You're given a single life (death means having to start over) and a strict time limit, and expected to dash through three random levels collecting coins as you go. At the conclusion of the trio of stages, your haul is compiled and committed to memory. You can then make this score available via StreetPass, challenging other players to beat it, though this mode would have been even better with online leaderboards included. Addictive doesn't quite cover it; since finishing the main portion of the game, Coin Rush has become the focal point of our time at Nintendo Life Towers.

It's fortuitous that Mario's obsession with coins exists, because the rest of the game is disarmingly similar to its prequel, New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. The world structure remains the same (we're still waiting forlornly for the branching pathways witnessed in Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3), as do many of the enemies and power-ups. There are some new additions though, the most obvious of which is the fan-favourite Raccoon costume, which was introduced in Mario's third NES outing and made a glorious return - in its Tanooki form - to the series in Super Mario 3D Land. Its powered-up white and gold twin also makes a return, granting Mario the same airborne benefits as the standard suit but adding invincibility, too.

This furry suit - in conjunction with the equally popular Tanooki power-up - bestows the power of levitation and flight on our famous protagonist, expanding the game's scope upwards. Levels have consequently been designed with high ceilings, opening them up for rampant exploration - a task which is given extra impetus by the aforementioned quest for coinage. While the Tanooki suit isn't wholly new, the Block Head is - this headgear protects Mario from a single hit, and also spews out coins during jumps and runs. The Gold Flower pick-up is a variation on the item which has been a staple feature of the series since the original Super Mario Bros., and allows the player to hurl fireballs which turn vanquished foes into - you guessed it - coins.

Just as the gameplay feels like a close match to the DS forerunner, New Super Mario Bros. 2's visuals are similarly familiar. Characters boast more polygons and there are neat incidental effects - such as the glowing lava in the castle stages - but for the most part, this has the appearance of an up-scaled version of the original. 3D is used in such a subtle manner it's almost irrelevant; adjusting the 3D slider makes the background move in and out of focus, but aside from this unique touch, there's little benefit to be had from playing the game with the battery-sucking auto-stereoscopic 3D switched on. The music offers a similar story - the tunes are all well-worn classics.

After the gloriously chaotic party-play focus of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, it's only natural that Nintendo should try to infuse some of the same multiplayer mayhem into this title. However, there's a little more harmony to be had this time around. The Cooperative mode features simultaneous, multi-cart play - something we were sadly unable to test during this review, as we were only supplied with one copy of the game by Nintendo. Being able to play through the entire adventure side-by-side with a friend is a welcome addition, but it's a shame that Nintendo couldn't have factored in online participation - such a move would have surely extended the already impressive longevity of the game, giving you the option to team up with players all over the globe.

That co-op play and Coin Rush are limited to local play and StreetPass, respectively, contributes to a sense that perhaps this entry lacks innovation. We don't doubt for a second that there will be some individuals out there who will decry the lack of progression on display in New Super Mario Bros. 2 and, to be fair, they actually have a point. Some of the best moments in other Mario titles have been when the mould has been broken and new experiences have been offered up, but there's something to be said for assured dependability, too.

Aside from its admittedly shallow obsession with collecting coins, New Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't offer anything ground-breaking when compared to previous instalments - but as we alluded to in the intro of this review, sometimes that can be a virtue rather than a fault; to criticise such a game for sticking to a proven and insanely successful formula is very much like attacking Michelangelo because his paintings all possess the same style. After all, a masterpiece is still a masterpiece, no matter how many times you see it.

Conclusion
It may not be as gleefully experimental as Super Mario 3D Land, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 intelligently recycles past glories and consequently offers the comfort of what is arguably one of the most enjoyable video game franchises ever. It's immense fun, boasts brilliant level design and offers enough repeat play appeal to keep you glued to your 3DS system for weeks. And regardless of how badly you want Mario to evolve and provide fresh and exciting adventures, that has to count for something. "

9/10

Nintendo lifes review and checking out all their other 3ds reviews they seem to be pretty fair,I must admit it makes little difference to me as I don't like the side scrolling mario adventures that much,and I fot into the mario platformers with mario 64.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 09:57:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 09:58:32 BDT
John morris says:
" 3DS Hardware Dominates Japanese Charts "

" So, about those sales figures
Demon Training has a modest start

We already know that 3DS XL and New Super Mario Bros. 2 have been able to boast of big launch sales in Japan, but we now have access to the full charts for a wider picture.

The Enterbrain software figures (via Andriasang), show that six of the top ten games are found on Nintendo systems, though Demon Training only manages 7th place. In the case of Nintendo's two high-profile 3DS titles these results don't include download sales through the eShop, but it's unclear whether download codes sold by some retailers contribute to the totals.

[3DS] 01. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 07.28.2012): 430,185 (NEW)
[PS3] 02. Persona 4 Arena (Atlus, 07.26.2012): 117,318 (NEW)
[PSP] 03. Nayuta no Kiseki (Falcom, 07.26.2012): 83,836 (NEW)
[WII] 04. Just Dance Wii 2 (Nintendo, 07.26.2012): 61,382 (NEW)
[NDS] 05. Pokemon Black & White 2 (Pokemon, 06.23.2012): 61,116 (2,474,123)
[PSP] 06. Super Danganronpa 2 (Spike Chunsoft, 07.26.2012): 59,112 (NEW)
[3DS] 07. Demon Training (Nintendo, 07.28.2012): 46,528 (NEW)
[WII] 08. Kirby 20th Anniversary Special Collection (Nintendo, 07.19.2012): 31,324 (131,720)
[PSP] 09. Digimon World Redigitize (Namco Bandai, 07.19.2012): 29,877 (103,345)
[3DS] 10. Kobito Zukan Kobito Kansatsu Set (Columbia, 07.26.2012): 26,146 (NEW)

The hardware results include the 3DS XL sales of around 193,000 units, with the overall 3DS total actually showing that the original model still sold in steady numbers; last week's sales are in parenthesis.

Nintendo 3DS: 235,974 (44,202)
PlayStation 3: 18,160 (16,232)
PlayStation Portable: 14,029 (13,199)
Wii: 10,549 (8,729)
PlayStation Vita: 9,081 (10,103)
Xbox 360: 632 (594)
Nintendo DSi: 496 (545)
PlayStation 2: 439 (414)

We'd expect fairly large hardware and software drops in next week's charts, but we'll see how successfully Nintendo maintains momentum in its homeland. "

With all these hardware sales we need some more software in the west now nintendo !!

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 10:04:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 10:04:12 BDT
John morris says:
Cptn Cloroform,

I have just looked at the start of the thread and have found your code.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 10:05:23 BDT
My friend code is 1118-0443-9293 I am going to compile a list of everyones friend code at the top of this thread.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 10:11:57 BDT
John morris says:
Good idea mate.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 11:29:31 BDT
So far we have 2 codes. We're well on the way to becoming the next big thing :p

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 15:44:11 BDT
The chances of me getting a 3DS XL are looking high. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if I am

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 22:05:19 BDT
2664 - 2890 - 0528 is my friend code. Currently playing Resident Evil: Revelations if anyone wants to do some raid mode.

Posted on 5 Aug 2012 09:28:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2012 09:30:30 BDT
John morris says:
" New Super Mario Bros 2 Review
It's not the best Mario game on 3DS, but it's joyous while it lasts.
by Keza MacDonaldAugust 3, 2012You know that fizzy feeling you get in your brain when you play a great Mario game? Where it feels a bit like it did the first time you ever played one, even though you're so intimately familiar with it? New Super Mario Bros 2 gives you 80-odd levels of perfectly-pitched side-scrolling platforming with a smattering of new features, but it doesn't give you that feeling. It's a surprisingly conservative entry in this continually inventive franchise, and though it's a masterclass in level design and eternally satisfying to play, it doesn't move the series forward. When it's as good as it was to begin with, though, it's hard to find much else to complain about. "

New Super Mario Bros 2 stars the Koopalings (Bowser's long-neglected junior minions) as villains, who crop up in predictable but nonetheless entertaining boss fights at the end of each of the game's worlds. Coin-collecting is the ancient video game principle at the heart of the game. Those shiny little discs of gold metal are everywhere, erupting in shimmering cascades from pipes and trailing in the wake of Cheep Cheeps underwater. The new power-ups mostly revolve around turning everything into gold; a golden Flower transforms Mario into a tubby little Midas, transmuting everything around him into coins, and coin blocks can be worn on Mario's head, leaving a trail of twinkling currency as he runs and jumps.

Golden rings, meanwhile, temporarily gild every enemy in the level, giving you greater rewards for bopping them on the head and causing Koopa shells to spew coins in their spinning path. The game keeps track of your cumulative coin total, displaying it right in your face on the world map and popping up with little congratulatory messages when you reach a new milestone. Something happens when you reach one million, we're told, but it'll be a while before anyone finds out what.

There are plenty of old power-ups too, of course, like the Fire Flower, Starman and the Super Leaf, which turns Mario into Raccoon Mario (though the resultant powers of flight are tragically under-used for the majority of the game). The Mega and Mini Mushrooms from the original New Super Mario Bros turn up as well, but only once or twice over the course of the entire game, making them feel a lot less gimmicky than they did before.

"Unlike Super Mario 3D Land, it doesn't feel built for the console

New Super Mario Bros 2's primary-coloured, whimsical graphical style is as endearing as ever - the Koopas even do a little dance when there's a trill in the music. Weirdly, though, the 3D effect doesn't work well at all. Turn the slider up and the detailed 2D backgrounds get blurrier and blurrier, which creates a depth of field effect but also smears all the lovely artwork. Unlike Super Mario 3D Land, it doesn't feel built for the console - there are no levels with nifty 3D effects, and it's difficult to find a reason to turn the slider up.

Mario is such a joy to control that he sometimes feels like an extension of your thoughts. He has a perfect sense of weight to him, and the levels are exquisitely designed to take advantage of his acrobatic abilities. Each world has two castles to break up the normal flow, and some worlds have ghost houses that give Mario platforming a puzzley twist, with disappearing doors and mirrored rooms. There are a lot of secrets, too - some of the levels have second exits that lead you to a new place on the map (or a new world entirely), and you'll constantly be scanning their perfect geometry for the inviting gaps in the scenery or slight anomalies that could point towards something hidden.

Difficulty-wise, New Super Mario Bros 2 is still a long way from the invigorating cruelty of the old 2D Marios, but you won't be able to skip through the game without ever dying. If you fail a level more than a few times, the white Tanooki Suit - or the You Suck Tanooki Suit, as it's more colloquially known - lets you run through the levels as an invincible white raccoon Mario, but that still won't save you from death by deadly purple goop or falling into lava. The difficulty is offset by the sheer proliferation of coins, though - if you're any good, you'll have about 100 lives saved up by the time you're halfway into the game.

The co-op multiplayer is fun, but inessential - on a small screen, the camera often has trouble keeping both of you in focus at once, and it doesn't let you run off and explore separately. It feels like another missed opportunity, with no bespoke levels made for co-operative play. Where New Super Mario Bros Wii only really came alive when played with friends, the multiplayer here feels like an optional add-on.

Coin Rush Mode has a more competitive aspect, letting you challenge people via Streetpass to amass as many coins as you can without dying over three randomly selected levels - and under a time limit, too, as if that wasn't enough pressure. This gives New Super Mario Bros 2 a little longevity, which is desperately needs; the single-player game barely lasts five hours on a first playthrough, though secret-searching and collecting star coins takes much longer.

Closing Comments
It is impossible not to be drawn in by the simple perfection of New Super Mario Bros 2's mechanics and level design - this is as pleasurable and effortless as 2D platforming gets. But it's also impossible not to be disappointed that it's over so quickly, and doesn't offer anything really new. The best Mario games reinvent themselves at the same time as paying loving homage to what went before; they take something you know and love and make it feel new all over again. New Super Mario Bros doesn't do that - but it's a delightful game while it lasts, and still the best 2D platformer on the 3DS.

IGN'S review is up and it scores the new mario game 8.5/10,I think the game is around this mark as it's not as good as previous games,but it still looks fun if you like this type of game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  63
Total posts:  830
Initial post:  1 Aug 2012
Latest post:  18 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions