Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Wifi extender/repeater

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Mar 2014 23:15:35 GMT
Dela says:
Hey guys

Just moved into a new house and my wifi signal is quite bad at the rear of the house - I'm on a Virgin Media Super Hub router but they are notorious for poor signals according to the internet too

I was wandering if anyone on here uses a wireless extender/repeater and if so, which make/model would you recommend?

Or on the flipside which ones are gash and need avoiding?

Cheers in advance

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 00:27:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2014 00:29:27 GMT
Dela, I use a 500 TP-Link , but its between 2 rooms downstairs.
There was a discussion on this very topic in the #WNG thread a few days ago.
Basically the "DEVOLO clan 500 Triple+" was recommended in the end. Here are some copy & paste from that discussion:-

1. Although consider paying more for the through plug sockets, saves losing a socket in the room.
2. I use Develo powerline adapters and they work great both wired and wireless - a very simple easy solution to extending your network.
3. Gonna get the Devolo dlan 500 AV Wireless Triple+, that's a mouth full, try saying that when you're half cut! Lol
4. I use the TPlink set i bought from Ebuyer, i used to have three points going into one router connection worked fine, only cost 50 i think. I am looking at getting a wireless one next to help with Vita and Mobile connections when at the top of the house.
5. I've got TP-Link (?) power adapters and a TP-link wireless extender so it works all over the house, all of which work brilliantly.

Devolo dLAN 500 AVtriple+ Starter Kit

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 00:53:58 GMT
Dela says:
Cheers Z

Looks like what I'm after but to be honest it's a tad on the pricey side - want to spend no more than 40-50

Skint lol

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 08:55:45 GMT
Steve says:
dela,I have the power line adapters and I love them.They are ethernet so that may not suit you.Cheap enough as well.

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 09:14:26 GMT
Bunny says:
I bought one of these Edimax EW-7416APN Wireless Access Point/Range Extender with 2T2R MIMO Technology firstly for my sky box but now I have my PC hard wired into it, it's cheap as chips and did what I wanted

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 09:37:57 GMT
Jason Thomas says:
purchase this
TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger
you can set it up as a range exstender with this. very simple to set up and very small. price is amazing have 1 and ranges acrross my hole house

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 09:58:59 GMT
AndyBSG says:
Here's a much cheaper solution that I use :)

http://cdn8.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 11:11:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2014 11:12:10 GMT
I use one of these; 10m White Network Cable granted it does have a rather short range at only 10 metres, but if you pay a little extra you can get the range extended upto 20m, 50m, 100m. I've found the signal quality flawless, isnt affected by doors opening or closing and also isnt affected by local electronics like Microwaves or Mobile phones. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2014 12:40:33 GMT
Dela says:
I'm actually using a 20m ethernet cable at the moment lol

The misus doesn't appreciate the cable running thru the livingroom - up the stairs - across the landing - and into the mancave

Don't kno why?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2014 12:44:28 GMT
Bah! Women. Tell her its either that or you drill a hole through the floor!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2014 13:50:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2014 13:51:23 GMT
What about using one of these, as i do and tbh, its never let me down tbh.

TP-Link TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only)
Or
TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
Or
TP-Link KTA750KIT 1Gbps Powerline Adaptor

Posted on 12 Mar 2014 14:30:18 GMT
Dela says:
That third option looks interesting...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  11 Mar 2014
Latest post:  12 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions