Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2013 13:08:35 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
Just thought I'd quickly ask on here if anybody has the HTC One and your thoughts on the phone? I am upgrading from my Galaxy S2 and was looking to go straight to the S4 but have just been offered a good deal on the One.

A camera is not a huge deal to me but the reviews suggest it's not great outdoors and I'd normally like a decent camera for holiday snaps; being a guy, that's the only time I use a camera.

How does the battery compare to other phones you've had?

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 13:21:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2013 13:26:11 GMT
My experience with the HTC One wasn't good. However, I'll go through the good first. It is a cracking phone tech wise except for the camera. It's fast, with a lovely display. The appearance of the phone is premium too, with the aluminum finish. The speakers are sublime - music or anything sounds fantastic. I really liked blink feed - which is a bit marmite - but it is a good news and social feed integrated into the home screen (which can be changed to a sidescreen). And the Infra Blaster was excellent too - with a internet connection the inbuilt TV guide would allow to press on a programme and it would change channel on your TV - although there are alternative wifi based apps that can do this anyway.

And the not so good. The camera is awful. I mean OK it takes good low light images but they are only 4 mega pixels. Nearly every photo I took lacked detailed and crispness that I experienced with other phones. Pictures appeared blurry. The first HTC One I received had a gap between the screen and the chassis where there was no glue - looked a mess - and had to be sent back. The second phone was OK except there were gaps, albeit uniform ones, between the speaker covers and the chassis. Remember it is supposed to be a zero-gap phone - as advertised by HTC. And a small graze mark on the aluminium back. I kept the phone, as the gaps were uniform and the graze barely noticable (although it was there) but a few weeks later the C of HTC fell off the back so that premium finish was ruined so again the phone had to be sent back. I never mistreated the phone at all and it was looked after. Third phone and all seemed much better except now the power button was completely flush to the phone - meaning I had to use my finger nail to turn on/off the phone. I nearly sent it back for this but about two weeks later the phone completely died on me anyway. So I got a full refund which Amazon never quibbled about.

In my experience the build quality of these phones is shocking. And if you google it you will find many people have experienced the same. My mate however is still on his first HTC One and loves it - no problems whatsoever. Just luck I guess. If the build quality was better then it would be a cracking phone - except for the camera IMO.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 13:28:38 GMT
I have had one since they first came out and have no problems with it. The phone is fantastic, does everything you'll ever need in a phone. The camera isn't great but it works, especially using Zoe you can just click and then choose which part of the photo you want. Sadly, this isn't great for Dropbox but it still does the gallery on your phone fine.

The build quality is brilliant, mines has been dropped and whacked and everything yet still works perfectly. The volume on the speakers is great too.

The ONLY phone out there better at the moment is the Sony Xperia Z1. And it isn't by too much. If you like big phones, get the Z1. If not, get the HTC One.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 13:34:38 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
Thanks for all the info, it's good to hear. My Uncle got the phone about 2 months ago and his is in excellent condition so I think you might have been unlucky (or maybe he was lucky...) with the build quality.

I think Blinkfeed might not be for me but I believe there's ways around it, although no way to actually get rid of it all together; this would only be a minor gripe if I wasn't too fond of it.

The only issue I can really see is the camera but I have a half-decent Cybershot and Lumia so they're easy replacements and the missus has an S4 mini which is pretty good so this can all be worked around.

I use my phone more and more for light gaming and social media and less and less for photos and never as an MP3 anymore.

Think I will take the plunge as I can cancel within 30 days anyway.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 13:41:47 GMT
Perhaps I was just very unlucky. It is a very very nice phone and great specs. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 14:19:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2013 14:51:00 GMT
AndyBSG says:
For me, the HTC One X at the beginning of the year was one of the best phones on the market. Yes, it was juicy on the battery but no more so than an iPhone or S4.

That said, it came out early in the year and is already looking old compared to it's newer rivals in terms of screen quality, processor speed, etc.

The newer versions of the HTC One which replaced it are good but they don't stand out as much as their predecessor. The competition have closed the ground and, in many places, overtaken them.

I recently replaced my HTC and when I was looking I narrowed it down to the following

Nexus 5
Great phone but expensive and hard to get hold of on a 'handset only' basis so you'll pay a premium or have to get it as part of a contract

Galaxy S4
Like the HTC one, it was the best phone around when it came out but is already behind spec compared to newer phones

Sony Xperia Z1
Another very good phone but, like the Nexus, you're going to pay a premium.

LG G2
In terms of the processor it uses the exact same one as the Xperia but is a lot cheaper. If you don't want to pay the exorbitant prices of the Nexus or Xperia this phone is virtually identical in terms of performance but at a much more sensible price.

I tried all of the above phones out and did a fair bit of research before going for the LG and although I've never had an LG before and was a bit worried about getting a phone that wasn't from Samsung, Apple or HTC I have to say i'm pretty happy with it.

Of course, if the camera's one of the main things you want then the Nokia Lumia is the one to go for but I think that's exclusive to Windows and you can't get it on Android.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 14:32:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2013 14:32:49 GMT
I bought myself a Motorola Moto G. Had it a few weeks, absolutely superb phone and it only costs 160. It's made me realise you can get a good spec phone for a fraction of the price. In terms of performance and quality of display it does everything my HTC One did and just as well. There might be a small performance difference in usage but it's not really that noticable. All of the apps I used on my HTC One and Nexus 4 before it work just as well. The display has a higher PPI than a iPhone 5 and looks sharp and crisp - and no noticable pixels. Gaming wise I don't know if it suffers, but according to professional reviews it seems to hold up well. Only real downside is that memory is limited to 16GB and the display is 4.5 inches - which in my opinion the display is more than big enough. Never again will I spend 400+ on a phone where I can get a phone that suits my needs for less than half of that.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 15:51:12 GMT
I've got the HTC One and it is great (apart from photos which has ben mentioned by everyone!) My mate just got the new Sony phone and it's absolutely awesome for photos.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 15:57:29 GMT
TL;DR answer, get the S4.

Honestly, my brother has the HTC One X, he loved it until he saw my Galaxy S3, now he hates it and wants a Samsung.

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 15:59:54 GMT
RAB says:
I've had the S4 for just over a week and I love it. Screen is beautiful, it's incredibly fast, battery is pretty good, and the camera's amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 16:22:38 GMT
The HTC One X is not the HTC One.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 16:47:05 GMT
I know this, but they're essentially the same experience. They both use the same version of HTCs Android, and its horrible. Samsung>HTC, (sorry to sound like a fanboy)

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 16:50:39 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
After taking onboard the feedback on here and looking at some further reviews I've opted for the HTC One. The camera could be better but for all I use it now, it's not a big deal to me.

The interface and the spec are right up my street for what I use my phone for these days (multi-media, light gaming and internet surfing).

It should arrive tomorrow so if there's any sort of major issue I'll be begging for more advice. The S4 looks very good but I decided to have a shot with an HTC; it's been hard to find any bad comments other than some people having build issues and obviously the camera.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 16:52:30 GMT
Fair enough. I hope you enjoy it :)

Posted on 18 Dec 2013 16:59:48 GMT
Mr. J. Burns says:
I'm on the S2 just now and it's been great, I really like the Samsung phones and the missus S4 mini is a cracking wee phone, extremely fast.

I just decided I'd quite like a change, the only thing for me was staying Android as I don't like iOS (personal preference, don't shout at me) and Id rather not have my tablet and phone on a different OS.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 12:12:37 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Nexus 5 expensive? It's 300 off contract unlocked. That's dirt cheap for a premium phone. It's 50 less than I spent on my HTC One mini which I sorely regret.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:18:03 GMT
Tai-Yong says:
You can shut off blinkfeed completely by holding your finger on the screen as you would to add widgets, the option to turn it off will be at the top left corner.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 13:20:01 GMT
AndyBSG says:
I tried to get one about 4 weeks ago, outside of E-Bay I couldn't get one in any of the usual places(Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 You, etc).

All of them had it available on contract but I was told by one of the sales guys that it had pretty much sold out everywhere so they were unlikely to sell it contract free before Xmas.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:25:49 GMT
Tai-Yong says:
OtterBox Commuter Series Two-Layer Protection Case Cover with Screen Protector for HTC One - Black

I don't have issues with the build quality most likely due to this product, I've tested this by dropping the HTC above my head with the case and no scuffs, wear or any sign of breakage. I'd say be safe and purchase this along with the HTC one. A negative would be that it hides the "beauty" of the HTC one.

I have a friend who owns a S4, great phone. Just comes down to which features you find suits you more. Though I've managed to lose them, the earphones that comes along with the HTC are a very nice quality for free earphones.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 13:30:11 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en_GB
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xaeb31018)

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  18 Dec 2013
Latest post:  19 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions