Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Where has the Racing gone??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jul 2014 12:49:21 BDT
Anyone know whats happened to the racing game genre on next Gen?

I can think of loads of great racing titles from the prev Gen that I would love to see a follow up to, but I havent really heard much about anyting new coming.

Aside from the new NFS and Forza 5, with Forza Horizon and Driveclub to come.

Where is the next Flatout, Blur, Pure, Motorstorm, Split Second, Midnight Club etc. I would love to see some follow ups to any of these, or something new in the same vein, but am not aware of anything?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 12:52:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 12:54:22 BDT
They are all on their way arnt they mate ? The Crew, DriveClub, Forza Horizon, GT6 I believe is coming to PS4 ?. Plus we already have NFS, Forza 5.

I don't think the genre is any lighter than any other on next gen mate? RPG's, Horror ?

As for those you mentioned we haven't seen those franchises in ages!... maybe there is no more room for the fun racer ? Shame cause Flatout was mint !

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 12:54:28 BDT
MF says:
Yep theres a bunch of them on their way. Driveclub -- now theres a game thats giving me a little semi. Looks gorgeous.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 13:30:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 13:32:15 BDT
Equinox80 says:
Blur was made by Bizarre Creations that no longer exist. However most of them went to Playground Games who are making Forza Horizon 2. Evolution are making Driveclub so I doubt a Motorstorm is likely anytime soon. I'd love a next gen one though.

I've no doubt Codemasters have one if not several games in the works atm. I'm hoping for news on Dirt 4 soon and hope its not last gen only like Grid Autosport. I'm sure theyll do an amazing with the power of PS4 and X1.

As others have said in the next few months there'll be FH2, DriveClub and The Crew.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 13:33:19 BDT
Ness says:
By the end of year one I'd say there will be a pretty good selection of PS4/XB1 racing games tbh.

I'd love a next gen rally only game in the vein of the first few Colin McRae games. I'd also love a PS4 version of Wipeout, been playing the Vita Wipeout again and it's awesome.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:10:50 BDT
Destruction Derby !! that's what we need ! that's been absent for 2 generations !

I think it was Codemasters too wasn't it ?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 14:17:41 BDT
Ness says:
I played the Destruction Derby II demo for countless hours on my PS1. I only ever had the original full game though which was pants in comparison. A PS4 DD sounds great though !

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:22:50 BDT
MF says:
BLUR2 :-(
Unfortunately it will never happen

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:27:02 BDT
Ness says:
Pure was great early last gen, give us another one !

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:27:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 14:28:28 BDT
Hackerdude says:
I lost my love for racing games back when I learnt to drive. Not sure why, it's not like I do track days to compensate either. Must just be me....

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:36:07 BDT
I love racing games, but I am awful at them !

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 14:41:19 BDT
kinjoking says:
im still waiting for Micro Machines Turbo HD

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:18:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 15:32:00 BDT
Where is the next gen version of Super Skidmarks? possibly the only racing game with cows towing caravans

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:22:55 BDT
kinjoking says:
why has no one ever made a console go kart racing game? it would fit perfectly between competetive play and good ol fashioned arcade racing without the F1 or professional rules that other games employ.

i think it would be a good idea :)

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 15:44:58 BDT
Cant think of anything i would rather see get a HD remake than the original Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2 as well for that matter, but the original is still my favourite racer ever!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 15:47:44 BDT
"why has no one ever made a console go kart racing game?"

Yeah, they could take a well known video game icon and make a kart racing game focused around them. Throw in a few power ups so you can shoot each other to make it a bit arcadey, maybe add a battle arena mode.

Sounds like an alright game but I'm not sure if it'll have much appeal to a wide audience.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 15:51:49 BDT
kinjoking says:
hehe i meant real life go karting :P

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 16:28:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2014 16:28:46 BDT
I marked you up. I loved Micro Machines, racing across a dinner table avoiding the peas, getting stuck in the tomato ketchup. Has a version ever been on Live? It'd be brilliant if one got released on the PS4 for PS+.

I also agree about Sega Rally. I haven't played a really good rally game in ages and I blame Motorstorm. Post Motorstorm (a game I enjoyed btw) all those kinds of games became about off-road X-Games craziness. I liked the precision and skill needed to do well in a game like the old school Colin McRae Rally. Listening to the co-driver's instructions, not having a load of other cars pushing to fill the same space, just you, the road and a clock.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 16:37:18 BDT
There's something called Table Top Racing coming to Vita next month (possibly PS4 too?) which looks like Micro Machines with a Mario Kart camera angle. Motorstorm RC was spiritually similar to Super Skidmarks, but it would be great to have the real thing back

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 18:04:44 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I'd love an HD update of Mashed. Playing Polar Wharf with chaos weapons online would be great fun.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 18:18:21 BDT
they need to Revisit the Original Carmageddon, that could be awesome nowadays!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 18:38:17 BDT
Equinox80 says:
There is real karting in GT6 which works quite well. I think it works better as part of another game as I think it would get boring on its own after a while though.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2014 18:43:55 BDT
Equinox80 says:
Whilst there isn't a complete focus on rallying, the rallying in Dirt 2 and 3 is second to none imo and there's a decent amount in each game. They are spiritual successors to Colin McRae Rally too.

The WRC rally games are ok given that they're made on a fairly tight budget and seem to get a bit better with each iteration.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 19:00:31 BDT
MF says:
Whilst we are wishful thinking -- I would like speedfreaks please.

Posted on 31 Jul 2014 20:19:02 BDT
DAYTONA!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  31 Jul 2014
Latest post:  1 Aug 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions