Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

What Older Consoles Do You Own And Cherish ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Aug 2014 00:11:57 BDT
J-Bear says:
I have a small collection of consoles compared to other collectors. I really love the model 1 master system design. The games on Mega Drive. The hardware of the Amiga 600 because it was so expensive back in the day. The gamecube is just sublime to me, and the psp 1000 feels like a gaming beast in the hands.

Do you have any, and do you have any kind of feelings about them ?

Posted on 2 Aug 2014 21:16:47 BDT
I have a Sega Dreamcast with both the Shenmue games which were superb titles :)

Posted on 3 Aug 2014 23:08:46 BDT
Dreamcast, best console ever made.

The gaming community should hang its head in shame that it was left to die, incredible console way way ahead of its time.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 02:52:05 BDT
Pantsu says:
I love my megadrive and N64. And of course my GBC with transfer pak to play Pokemon Stadium with it.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 07:47:37 BDT
I still have a Gameboy Micro. Great little handheld, superb bright screen and amazing battery
Shame it gives me hand cramps these days.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 09:49:22 BDT
Bozz says:
I keep looking at Dreamcasts on Ebay, but hate using that site. anyone know of any shops (online is ok) where I can just pay a set amount and have one delivered? Hate bidding and stuff, just want to buy one!

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 09:53:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2014 09:54:12 BDT
kinjoking says:
Amstrad cpc464
MegaDrive
Master System
N64 Limited Edition
Gamecube Black
Gamecube Resident evil 4 version
Gameboy Pocket

EDIT: i even have a working game genie for the megadrive :)

all sitting in my room. jubbly.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 10:54:36 BDT
Totally agree with the Gamecube - great console, love the shape (even with the superfluous handle) and with the Gameboy player attached it even becomes an actual cube.
Also got a micro, my favourite handheld of all time - playing SNES classics and a number of great GBA games with a great screen and the best d-pad of any handheld ever.
Plus got original Gameboy Color (sic) with Link's Awakening DX, Tetris and Cannon Fodder.
Not just a Nintendo Fanboy though, still love the design of my original Playstation. Unfortunately only got the revised Master System which doesn't look as smart as the original, it has to be said.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 11:13:22 BDT
Hackerdude says:
Still have.

PS1
PS2
Dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Xbox 360 (If that counts??)
NG4
Megadrive
Gameboy with Pokemon blue :).

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 11:18:39 BDT
I have started a little games paradise in my front room, under my TV I have

PS2
PS3
PS4
PSvita
Xbox 360
Nintendo Game Cube

That serves me perfectly.

I would like N64 but my wife would divorce me!

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 12:35:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2014 12:36:49 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"I really love the model 1 master system design."

First console I ever bought, got both the 1 and 2 although currently set up the 2 as it was easier to get to in the closet. On a major retro kick at the moment although with the Master System I think I've now probably got all the good cames as, apart from Pacmania, my recent purchases have been tosh.

The SNES and Megadrive provide some of the best tests of time, largely because they could comfortable push better sprite work. Currently playing Secret of Evermore on the SNES, really superb game.
My most cherished though is the Saturn, easily the most critically underrated console of all time (The Dreamcast generally being rated very highly amongst gamers.)

From the flashy boot up sequence to the quality of the pads (2nd gen pad has best D-pad ever made.) So many great games and yet so frequently cussed by the PS crowd. Probably the only console I'd still be a frothy fanboy about. It's also home to Panzer Dragoon Saga, my favourite game of all time. Even got it chipped for the likes of the arcade perfect X-men vs Streetfighter which completely whizzed over the laughably bad PS1 version..... ok fanboy mode kicking in... I'll stop now or I'll start telling everyone how Saturn wuz 4 da hardcore and ps wuz casual.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 12:37:46 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"I would like N64 but my wife would divorce me!"

Bah, you can always get another wife.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 13:07:36 BDT
I'll second the love for the Saturn, prob my favourite console I ever owned. Whilst it was still being developed for it was whipping the PS1 in every way. Sega Rally was and still is untouchable, and the Daytona games were fantastic. Nights into Dreams completely blew me away and IMO Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 were far superior to the other fighters out at the time. Loved it unreservedly - also, I could be mistake but wasnt it the first console to get Tomb Raider?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 13:14:36 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Yeah, for me Virtua Fighter 2 was the best of the 3D fighters, it wasn't until Dead or Alive that another game had the instant button press to punch responsiveness.

Tomb Raider was indeed out on Saturn first, I think 1-2 months before the PS1 version (also had the best version of Duke Nukem..... with 7 player Death Tank! Lobotomy did a superb job on the Saturn) It's a shame Sega Europe were so useless as the Saturn had a 2 year head start on Grandia and Castlevania SOTN (I think they were both the superior versions minus SOTN's transparencies.)

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 13:16:40 BDT
kinjoking says:
so wish the saturn had succeeded. how different the world would be...how different the world would be.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 13:44:38 BDT
Also, how good were Virtua Cop 1 and 2 for the time - loved them so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 15:13:32 BDT
A mate of mine bought the Saturn version of SOTN and I had a wee blast of it the other day.

I wasn't really able to notice any differences apart from the obvious areas that were only on the Saturn version. There was a bit of frame rate slow down at certain points though.

It's still ace fun. I think the best thing about the Saturn version has to be the D-pad, it's just so good for platforming action, it's so much more fun to play on the Saturn than on the 360 because of this.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 15:17:11 BDT
kinjoking says:
the controller is just an upgraded megadrive controller, but the Dpad definitely looks the biz

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 15:21:28 BDT
Yeah, that's pretty much what my mate said.

I grew up playing the megadrive so I could possibly be a bit biased, still an awesome D-pad though.

I guess it must be that putting up with mediocre D-pads from Sony and microsoft for ages makes you really appreciate a good D-pad, or I could just be talking mince.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 15:30:26 BDT
kinjoking says:
i dont think the 360 one is that bad, its just not useful for anything. im not even sure why modern controllers have dpads when games only use them for scrolling between weapons. id rather use a button to scroll, not rench my thumbs in that direction trying to select a new grenade to throw lol

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 16:07:12 BDT
NessFox says:
Just search for 'Buy it now' listings ?. A decent quality boxed Dramcast with 2x controllers and some games is only around £50 although you can go all the way up to £150+ for better condition collections -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=boxed+dreamcast+console&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 18:07:32 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"i dont think the 360 one is that bad, its just not useful for anything"

The standard one was pretty average, really struggled to pull of super moves in Streetfighter 2. There's a new edition though that, if you twist it, it'll pop into a more rollable kind.

Posted on 4 Aug 2014 19:31:57 BDT
I have a japanese and EU dreamcast, just incase ;).

I have about 100 games for them.

I have a gamecube, a panasonic 3do i bought randomly for like £40 with 10 games.

I have a ps2 built into a sony bravia, but i am going to need a backup anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2014 21:24:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2014 21:24:50 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Nice! What games have you got on the 3DO? My dreamcast had a dodgy scart connection, thought it was a goner but turns out it was a common problem and just a question of cleaning the connectors with some solution thing. Until last gen Dreamcast has my largest colleciton of games, somewhere close to 100 but not quite. Would love to set up my old CRT and get some House of the Dead 2 action going.

I only had Virtua Cop 2 on Saturn (HOTD 1 was pants) but the problem I found was that the gun couldn't shoot the bottom 1/4 of the screen which was frustrating.

Can't believe I've talked about the Saturn in a thread and not mentioned Guardian Heroes. Got the 360 version as well now, some nice redone sprite work, but as others mentioned before, Saturn pad made all the difference.

I do need to get my Saturn fixed though, the region switch has come unstuck and I can't get it to go to Japense without some tweezers and about 60 minutes of patience (was how I got it back to English in the first place.) Want to get me some Dead or Alive and X-men vs SF on the go. Also got Vampire Saviour, pretty hardcore fighter that was way ahead of my ability. Also looked amazing and probably the benchmark for sprite work on the system (from a detail and fludity perspective.)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2014 00:20:09 BDT
I have road rash, fifa soccer, i will have to dig out the box and set it up.

Cannon fodder? it came with about 12 games.

My dreamcast collection is nuts, i just love the machine tech romancer is my most recent game.

And sega bass fishing with the rod controller lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  2 Aug 2014
Latest post:  8 Aug 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions