Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The *Official* Amazon PC Thread...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 May 2012 09:10:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2014 12:18:43 GMT
Dela says:
Hi all,

I've been thinking about creating a new PC thread for a while now - Why?

The STEAM thread has served us tremendously over the past year or so. I take my hat off to it and to everyone that has kept it going and not let it die (which it nearly did a couple of times). Over the past few weeks its been clear that more people are looking at PC gaming to get their 'next gen' gaming fix now and the posts in the STEAM thread have been quality but it's not all about STEAM, is it?

I think a new general PC thread will better reflect the PC activity in the forum with general gaming chit-chat and hopefully anyone needing basic PC advice regarding games/peripherals/components/STEAM/F2P/MMO's/ORIGIN/Xfire etc can post their questions/views in here.

Talking of advice - If its major problems your having with an existing rig or if your looking at building an 'Enthusiast' rig, head on over to:

http://forums.hexus.net/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/categories-list.htm

All above sites are full of PC experts that would be more than happy to help you resolve any problems you may be having with your set-up.

If its minor compatibility questions you have I'm sure some nice person on here can advise you or provide links/info to help you on your way.

Right, lets get started. If your a silent lurker around these them parts don't be shy - jump in! We're all decent guys, well most of us - I'm looking at you H****TT!!! Below is a list of regular STEAM users that frequent this forum, erm, frequently:

JONATHAN - jonathantardis
Hot Lunch! - crazierstevo
Jamie L - reccyuk56
kieran brown - DA3DR1C
Glassmoon - Glassmoon76
Cptn - Cptn Cloroform
Tim - TRAUMA
Zorton - Zorton
Hackerdude - Hackerdude
Sanchez - Sanchez
Greggles - greg1756
Hunter - evosquest
Dela - MrSandwicHead
Zarabubus - Warhorsenumber4
Alan McDowell - Bunga
Icaruschips - Icaruschips
A Portal Gun - Snarf McAsshativic
Mozza - Mozz-eyes
RATSCOUSER (Neil) - Ratscouser
Mike - Mackey18
Steve : xbl darco76 - St3darc035
Tetrominoe L (PSN hoopla10, Steam: colt_ture) - colt_ture
Muzz - muzza99flake
NESSY - Nessy
Kharnivore2099 - Kharnivore2099
RAB - RAB_11
Vasilli L - Doodierulez002
Ewok (PSN: Ewoks_Must_Die) - Ewok

I've deleted a few names from the old STEAM thread list because, hey? Who are you? Where have you been? And I've kept Nessy on the list because I love him and he's good for a laugh too. I can add/remove names as we go along.

Below is a list of active ORIGIN user ID's - mainly used for BF3 at the moment:

JONATHAN - Jonathantardis12
Kev - Icaruschips
Zorton - Zorton_Maverick
Mozz - M0zz-eyes
Mike - Mackey18
Tim - BULLET_TRAUMA
Kurt - Hackerdude_88
Dela - MrSandwicHead
Steve - st3darc035
Snarf - Joelpk
Sanchez - CSanchez2033
Cptn - Cptn_Cloroform
Jack - Tesselated-Toad
NESS - Nessy2012

Online MP nights will be organised as and when required, but usually start at around 10/11pm. Below is a list of games we play or intend on playing in the near future - GET ON IT!

Battlefield 3
Battlefield 1943
Left4Dead
Left4Dead 2
Borderlands 2
Company of Heroes
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Far Cry 3
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Just Cause 2 (MP mod when fully released)
Team Fortress 2 (F2P)
Gotham City Imposters (F2P)

Headsets with mics are STRONGLY recommended! - you don't believe me, ask Mozz...

Anyway, lets all just get on with it and carry on enjoying the GREATEST GAMING PLATFORM AVAILABLE *prepares to get negged by the console peasants*...

Posted on 8 May 2012 09:22:18 BDT
Good call on a general PC gaming thread, now I will know where to come for advice when I eventually get round to purchasing a new gfx card.

Might as well start off with a query as my knowledge of PC gaming is rather limited.

I have been thinking about playing Morrowind again but was going to get some mods, can anyone reccomend any and are they easy to use? I have not had much luck (or patience) with modding in the past, but after seeing some of the graphic mods on youtube for morrowind I am keen to give it a go.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 09:26:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2012 09:31:47 BDT
Dela says:
I don't mod, Bub... I done it once with GTA IV and the ICEnhacer mod... Failed miserabley, couldn't see anything as the contrast was set to EXTREME. Just white glowing everywhere and I couldn't adjust it. Then, when I uninstalled it, ALL sound on my rig failed on every game?... Shocking...

***EDIT***

Icaruschips does. If your reading DA...

Posted on 8 May 2012 09:51:18 BDT
Good idea, but this is basically the same as the Steam thread eh? That expanded to PC gaming in general.

However, due to the wider-scope title of this, we may be spared the incessant ramblings of resident peon Hackett.

I was chatting with Jojo about a Minecraft server. I've got exams so won't be on until the end of the month or so, but it could be quite a good laugh if a few of us join, get some headsets and build colossal phalli.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 10:10:37 BDT
Dela says:
"Good idea, but this is basically the same as the Steam thread eh? That expanded to PC gaming in general."

Nail. on. head. Mozz

Minecraft?... Never really thought of playing it TBH... Anyone on here play it regular?...

Posted on 8 May 2012 10:24:52 BDT
Good idea Dela,

I will add my Steam ID once I have built my PC later this month!!
In relation to Minecraft - was thinking of getting this on Xbox as per Nic posts. Going to review it today and its being released via XBL tomorrow.

Glad you started this thread as wil keep all PC related inquiries (games, builds, Upgrades) and discussions in one place as opposed to being fragmented.
Z

Posted on 8 May 2012 10:42:45 BDT
Steve says:
Is Minecraft that pixelated mess where you build houses and such? If it is I tried the free version and was not impressed although I am a graphics junkie.

Nice thread Dela.

Posted on 8 May 2012 10:49:41 BDT
Steve says:
Just one intresting tid bit I read this morning. The Old Republic has dropped 400,000 subscriptions since Feb. That is a big drop and with GW2 realesed soon (I hope,get your finger out AN) they could take an even bigger hit.

Posted on 8 May 2012 10:51:08 BDT
"I am a graphics junkie."

There are TONS of MC graphics mods out there. Ofc the game retains its trademark blockiness but you can get HD texture packs etc.

@ Dela

Use to play it a lot more than I do now. I made a huge Japanese style castle on my buddy's server that was so big I never got round to building the interior! Just made the shell and was at a loss of what to put inside it.

Free version is pretty terrible.

Posted on 8 May 2012 10:54:10 BDT
Steve says:
Hmmm maybe ill give it another shot but I have never used mods and although being quite savvy with computers would not know where to start.

"I made a huge Japanese style castle on my buddy's server that was so big I never got round to building the interior! Just made the shell and was at a loss of what to put inside it."

Furniture?

Posted on 8 May 2012 11:11:07 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Minecraft is great, of course I am one for going round blowing the landscape apart with TNT.

This thread is a good idea, now Hackett can't complain about Steam as this thread isn't about Steam.

Posted on 8 May 2012 11:13:30 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Oh and I've also discovered that nearly every game I play NEEDS V-sync. Was playing Dragon Age with it off and OH MY GOD THE SCREEN TEARING!

Same with Blacklight. Turning it on hasn't really affected performance though so can't complain.

Posted on 8 May 2012 11:15:34 BDT
Steve says:
But you do know he will be on here complaining that we are being mean because we didnt include Mac in the title aswell, proving without any doubt we all work for Microsoft and are here to take over the thread on behalf of B. Gates and co.

Posted on 8 May 2012 11:32:59 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:22:10 BDT
Anyone getting Diablo 3 next week and know the specs?

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:24:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 8 May 2012 16:29:28 BDT]

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:25:33 BDT
Steve says:
Yep me and heres the specs.

Windows
Windows® XP/Vista/7 (latest service packs) with DX 9.0c
Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better
1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB (Vista/7)
12 GB available HD space
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
Broadband* Internet connection
1024x748 minimum resolution
Mac
Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer
Intel® Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
2 GB RAM
12 GB available HD space
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
Broadband* Internet connection1024x768 minimum resolution
* Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband Internet connection. Wireless results may vary.

Diablo III Recommended System Requirements
From the official page:[[2]]

Windows
Windows® Vista/7 (latest service packs)
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Mac
Mac® OS X 10.7.x or newer
Intel® Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:29:00 BDT
Steve says:
Hunter I would say it was nothing more than an oversight on Dela's part. It can be amended very fast.I think not posting again is a slight over reaction.

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:30:22 BDT
Thanks Steve. My PC is more than capable then.

Also anyone looking forward to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Played the first game and really enjoyed it so thinking of a preorder for this one?

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:34:34 BDT
Icaruschips says:
"I have been thinking about playing Morrowind again but was going to get some mods, can anyone reccomend any and are they easy to use? I have not had much luck (or patience) with modding in the past, but after seeing some of the graphic mods on youtube for morrowind I am keen to give it a go."

Morrowind can be a pain to mod honestly. I've installed them all before, though, and it makes the game look fantastic. Water and God rays especially. You might have to spend a good half hour restarting after changing settings though as it's extremely taxing on your system considering Morrowind is an open world and the changes the mods are making. Worth it in the end though, and I still stand by Morrowind being the best Elder Scrolls game there is.

This is the pack I have used previously, as I say a pain to install but there are instructions. It's the 2GB file you want, along with the .pdf above it.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=8987

May pop in here from time to time. I would have posted more often on the Steam thread, but Hackett made it rather unbearable.

Posted on 8 May 2012 12:45:10 BDT
Dela - add hunter steam account ? Is there an issue ?
Dont know v but coop with hunter on ps3 and seems like a good guy.
Z

Posted on 8 May 2012 13:03:36 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Yeah Dela I think you should add Hunter and Vagisil to the list. I'd deem them regulars and they did start the Steam thread.

But I also think it was just a mistake, no need to go off on on here.

Posted on 8 May 2012 13:05:32 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 May 2012 15:50:50 BDT]

Posted on 8 May 2012 13:10:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2012 13:11:14 BDT
@ K. chouiki - you keep posting about this website on all the threads. I went and had a look and its not cheaper than anywhere else.
Why don't you just start your own thread up and advertise the site that way !!

@ Snarf McAsshativic - his comment +1
@ Snarf - nice PC dude, checked out all the pics you posted. Have the same Samsung LCD TV that was in ur pics and going to use that or buy a new 24 inch Monitor.

Z

Posted on 8 May 2012 13:10:18 BDT
Icaruschips says:
"Just one intresting tid bit I read this morning. The Old Republic has dropped 400,000 subscriptions since Feb. That is a big drop and with GW2 realesed soon (I hope,get your finger out AN) they could take an even bigger hit."

Just noticed this. I need to re-sub to TOR. I absolutely loved it and bought it on release and played a few of the beta weekends, but I ultimately stopped playing because there simply weren't enough players for heroics and such because there were too many servers with too few players. I'm willing to give it another try though because the questing was second-to-none and I love Star Wars. Hoping servers will be settled better and there will be a better choice of the more populated ones.

On Guild Wars 2, I've been looking forward to it for ages but after playing the beta it honestly left me with a feeling of 'meh.' I'll give it a pass for now and maybe pick it up when an expansion hits, as that's when the first game really picked up its pace, too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Participants:  117
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  8 May 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions