Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Should Final Fantasy End?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Feb 2013 19:23:42 GMT
I've played upto Final Fantasy X and I've enjoyed them all but I've heard after Lightening Returns it may end. I think it needs a change but if it does end I don't think i'll miss it. Whould you miss Final Fantasy or not?

Posted on 17 Feb 2013 20:30:19 GMT
Klemmer says:
Hell yeah i´d miss it!
Anyway, i disliked 12&13 but will soon be playing XIV again after the reboot.

I think FF only needs one thing mainly: Back to the roots, not that easymode we have now.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013 20:39:28 GMT
J. Morgan says:
Lightning Returns is just a spin off in the same vein as Dirge of Cerberus (Vincent was the character). I think SE could take a lesson from Level 5 and return to the overland map like in Ni No Kuni.

I don't think they should end , besides the overalp of the bestiary,Final Fantasy games have a new system each time and could just as easily be a new game.

V - is my old time favourite.
X - Newer favourite
XII - Had its moments but it was a very different sort of game. Very open ended really lacking in cohesive story which was lost as you wandered the huge areas.
XII/XIII/-2 were ok but lacked a spark. Too linear, characters were really not that good, battle system was an odd marriage of speed with the same old ATB which felt unatural.

I've got them all so Lightning Returns is on the shopping list regardless lol.

Posted on 17 Feb 2013 20:41:42 GMT
Its my favourite franchise ever, i have loved all of them yes all of them even 13.

It will be a sad day if it does, we need franchise that are different to what else is out there and for me FF is the flagship rpg in gaming maybe not what it used to be but i think its name still holds value.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2013 20:43:27 GMT
My new favourite company level 5, ni no kuni best rpg since FF7.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2013 20:49:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2013 20:50:37 GMT
J. Morgan says:
I think Ni No Kuni made me feel like a kid a kid again. Just recaptured that age where everything was new and wonderful.

I doubt Final Fantasy will end though because this (or something like it) is planned for the PS4/720.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zks5W-XlghU

It's possible someones mistook Lightning Returns being the final FF game on the current generation of consoles.Or that Lightning Returns will be the final of the XIII series. Which is nothing unexpected or to worry about.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 07:17:03 GMT
Ni No Kuni brought me back to the days of Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Chronicle. Both made by the same dev I believe. (I think DQ was a collab)

God knows why those are being sat on when we get every other HD collection under the sun. I guess it's too much effort to do a big game so they're sticking with the shorter ones.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 13:19:19 GMT
Lazisom says:
J. Morgan is right, initially FF13 was meant to be like the new FF7 with loads of spin off games and movies and such however since 13 was nowhere near as good as 7 I think it just means they are giving up on that idea and moving on to the next proper game.

I don't think it should end and I would hate to see it go but I feel that they need to step up their game a bit after some pretty poor games in the last 10 years compared to the 15 years before. 13-2 was a step in the right direction but I would like to see more games like 9 and the older ones with a more medieval setting rather than the futuristic military based stuff, hopefully Ni No Kuni has proved that this kind of setting can still make a fantastic game.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 13:26:32 GMT
They need to remove the "autobattle" function and return to lots of equipable loot.

I'd be happy if they brought out a new game with more stat management for characters and would love if they reintroduced the materia system.

They also need to go down a darker route storywise, so many characters in XII and XII I hated because they were all so sensitive, especially the blokes.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 13:26:54 GMT
Otaku Guy says:
Hmm...

A Final Final Fantasy , Final Fantasy Final...

I know I'm always in the minority, and as such I'm looking forward to Lightning returns, as for ending the whole thing, maybe it just needs to evolve.

One thing the does need to end is Online numbered installments >:(

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 13:28:53 GMT
Crixus says:
Bring back the sphere grid I say :)

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 13:38:59 GMT
Otaku Guy says:
Let's not have a girl die again, I still get flashbacks of Aerith's death to this day :'(
Maybe having perma death is something to think about.
I do agree about autobattle, makes things too easy and a bit boring.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 13:49:10 GMT
J. Morgan says:
The whole timed battle thing does not really suit ATB. Works fine with the more direct Tales games, but for Final Fantasy it's like two ideas pulling in different directions.

Ditto with the auto battle. The AI was generally so good at picking appropriate actions that you needed to little more than press X and occasionally L1. Taking away the auto function and the battle timer would be a good first step. Unless it's going to go a more Star Oceans type of battle system.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 13:56:37 GMT
Matthew says:
Final Fantasy is too mainstream to end, especially when the console editions are multi million sellers. Final Fantasy is pretty much a cashcow, though Dragon Quest is more popular in Japan.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 14:08:51 GMT
djburty says:
i loved FFXIII so i'm not one to vote that they shouldn't do a FFXV

i also loved the battle system (apart from the annoying autobattle option) and juggling the different paradigms. i don't mind the timer as it adds a bit more to the tension about whether you can risk getting another round of hits in or if you need to get healing. however, i have been gulitly of using the autobattle for simple battles when i have been doing a bit of grinding so unsure if get rid of it completely - perhaps just disable it in the options.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 14:59:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2013 15:05:28 GMT
J. Morgan says:
Final Fantasy XIII-4:Lightning goes swim suit shopping. :D

While the system in FFXIII was good in theory. 99% of the time it was better to ignore it in favour of brute force. In very few cases was the bonus for buffing/debuffing worth the time taken to do it. Likewise the fact you were on the clock predisposed you to the quickest solution rather than using the available options.

The only battle I recall as being somewhat different was trying to stay alive against adamantoise while trying to get a death spell to "stick".

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 15:01:08 GMT
Matthew says:
Lol, it's more an issue of Lightning being voted the most popular female Final Fantasy character in polls in Japan lately.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:11:30 GMT
C. Jones says:
ill get slated for this but this series died to me when 13 came out waited so long in excitement for that game only to hate it for so may reasons if they went back to the old gameplay of the ps1-ps2 games id be happy though!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 15:14:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2013 15:15:24 GMT
J. Morgan says:
In a long series there are bound to be some you don't like. Especially with a game like FF that changes the system each time.

I hated FFVIII but loved IX. As far as I'm concerned FFXIII has no bearing on how future FF's might turn out as none of the others have.

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 06:38:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 07:16:18 GMT
The faster Final Fantasy becomes a FPS the better. Throw in a MP and it's a winner. I want this largely because it would annoy Lee. :)

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 08:34:08 GMT
Its only the FFXIII story that is ending..... Final Fantasy will of course go on..... Its Square's cash cow.
Since you are clearly such a big fan (having not played any of the recent games) i wouldnt worry...... Muppet

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 09:39:35 GMT
Ive played from FF 1 to FF 10 along with the Tactic spin offs so obviously i am a fan - a fan dosent need to play them all to be a fan

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 09:43:58 GMT
Ex fan i'd say

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 09:46:52 GMT
Final fantasy perfume is taking it too far. The last FF game I really enjoyed was IX.

I put about an hour into XIII, the terrible writing put me off. I remember the quote from that douche snow - "Heroes don't need plans" or something along those lines. The Xbox was promptly shut down after that, I prefered it when they didn't talk.

http://kotaku.com/5985249/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-isnt-out-but-here-have-some-versus-perfume

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 09:49:23 GMT
Riyoshi says:
Are they really selling FF perfume or is this a joke I don't get?
Can't click on the link since I'm at work.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  17 Feb 2013
Latest post:  21 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions