Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

How loud is the PS4 fan?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 133 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Aug 2014 22:40:26 BDT
Ant says:
I am tempted to buy a PS4 but the one thing that is putting me off is if the fan noise is loud or quiet. Been reading mixed reports with some saying it is very loud at times, even louder than the fat PS3, and others saying they cannot hear theirs at all.

So with confusing reports from the internet what is the PS4 owners view of the fan noise, I know it won't be as quiet as the Xbox One, that would be too good to be true. I have an Xbox One and it is the quietist console I have ever experienced since the days of the PS1 and N64, but I don't really like the Xbox gaming scene, ie, online shooters, much prefer JRPGs so it is really a PS4 I want.

I play mainly at night when things are quiet with the volume moderately low in a small room, how loud would you estimate the PS4 to be in this environment. Just trying to get a rough estimate to help me decide if I should trade to a PS4, I do not know anybody with a PS4 so can't check it out in situ. I have looked at YouTube videos but I can't really tell how loud they are because they tend to put the camera right up to the fan.

PS, would I be able to play all my PS1 store games from my Vita on a PS4?

Posted on 9 Aug 2014 22:51:24 BDT
Mine is mostly silent - at its worst about the same as 360 slim - noticable but not loud. I have my tv pretty quiet and never have to turn it up due to fan noise.

Posted on 10 Aug 2014 00:22:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Aug 2014 00:25:25 BDT
Ness says:
I would agree with Robson, when being pushed it's about the same as the 360 slim 'noticeable but not loud'.

If the noise of consoles annoy you at night then how about using headphones ?.

"PS, would I be able to play all my PS1 store games from my Vita on a PS4?"

No, currently PS4 doesn't play PS1 games.

Are you trading your XB1 in for the PS4 ?, just curious.

Posted on 10 Aug 2014 04:30:39 BDT
Ant says:
@ Nessy

Yes, will have to trade, I won't be able to afford a PS4 otherwise :(

Using headphones would help, I only have Sennheisser ear buds with a 1.2 metre cable so I would need a cable extension, plus I would have to pull the TV away from the wall each time I plugged them in to reach round the back so using headphones is not something I would have considered but I have read the PS4 has a regular earphone socket on the controller which works with any regular music ear/headphones which solves the inconvenience of plugging them into the telly.

If the PS4 is no louder than an Xbox Slim I might be able to live with that, I found the Xbox Slim console reasonably quiet, it was the high pitched noise from the PSU fan that annoyed me but that wouldn't be a problem with the PS4 not having an external PSU.

Looks like I will be trading in September when my Xbox Live runs out, thanks for the replies.

Posted on 10 Aug 2014 09:32:10 BDT
Noisytrev says:
When I first got mine I put it in a TV unit and the fan was so loud I thought something was wrong with it, and almost sent it back. But after moving it somewhere with more space and ventilation around it, it is fine now sometimes if it's warm day you can hear it a bit, but nothing like the ps3, more like what other people have said the 360 slim

Posted on 10 Aug 2014 19:12:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Aug 2014 20:10:06 BDT
John morris says:
"How loud is the PS4 fan?"

I depended if they could get a console on launch day or not,the ones who struggled/or their console did not turn up on launch day made a right old racket. ;)

Posted on 11 Aug 2014 09:46:09 BDT
IM says:
Hi Guys,

I've had my PS4 since launch day, and I honestly think the fan is pretty quiet overall. I have hardly heard the fan until recently, due to the extremely hot weather we have had, the fan has been on flat out which it's semi-noisy but could be worse... however now the weather has died down again, it's hardly been on... so i think you will be fine at night and winter is coming!

Posted on 11 Aug 2014 10:04:11 BDT
R says:
It depends on the game, I guess some games put more strain on the CPU etc than others. I would say the fan on PS4 is definitely audible - it's not annoying as I only use my PS4 for gaming but I can defo here it clearly. Louder than the 360 slim I'd say too but no where near anything like the old 360. Quieter than the PS3 for certain - mainly because the blue ray drive seems to be thrashed quite hard on a PS3.

Posted on 11 Aug 2014 10:35:12 BDT
Exactly the same as NoisyTrev in my experience. In the confines of a TV cabinet the noise level was ridiculous - like, switch subtitles on because I couldn't hear dialogue ridiculous. Moving it to somewhere better ventilated was my last desperate act before sending off for a replacement, but fortunately it solved the problem at a stroke

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2014 12:02:13 BDT
If you get a PS4, no need to use your tele headphone socket, the PS4 controller has this at the bottom. I've used it myself when i was setting up my study..

Posted on 13 Aug 2014 12:05:39 BDT
Depends how you're listening to games. When I used headphones I couldn't hear, but occasionally without headphones it did get a little noisy with disc games. Digital games is not an issue.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 00:14:30 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Aug 2014 00:16:11 BDT]

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 00:42:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Aug 2014 00:45:36 BDT
I can say i havent heard my PS4 fan yet and ive played for 5 hours plus on some games.
Dont think ill sell mine on just yet
I think some are mistaking disk spin for fan noise, because you can hear the disk spin on occasions.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 02:27:38 BDT
It must be luck or something because mine is just about audible. The disc makes sound when spinning up but nothing worrying and certainly not too loud. Also I don't really hear it get louder when being "pushed", though I'm not sure at this point a game has really pushed it tbh. If I'm honest and PS4 is something you really want for those kinds of games, depending on family situation (ie you don't have to listen out for kids crying or partner calling you) I'd just get a nice pair of headphones.

@V Fernandes: Yeah, the controller battery life is woeful. Truly awful imo. You can dim the light at the back (why you can't turn it off I still don't know) but it barely extends the life. Plus the touch pad while I really like, to the point when I've jumped back to the PS3 I miss it, there's plenty of games that don't really utilize it and so would be nice to turn it off and save some more of that battery life. I wouldn't mind but the connecting wire to the PS4 is like 2 feet long. How cheap can they get? It just feels like one step forward and two steps back.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 06:23:38 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Aug 2014 00:16:16 BDT]

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 08:47:32 BDT
Carl says:
The fan noise was horrific on The Last of Us, but I found a way to stop it by ejecting the disc before loading up and putting it back in, not sure why that worked but it did every time.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2014 11:58:49 BDT
M. S. Wright says:
Battery life?

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 12:28:29 BDT
Ballisticola says:
A couple of years ago I had my PS3 placed on a plastic storage box. Then it was on a chest of drawers, but the noise had increased because it had no noise dampening, it's a solid wood base vs a flexible plastic one. So I found a cardboard box (the box for my PS2) and placed it on that and the noise is significantly reduced.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a PS4, so with the PS3 on the box, I had to put the PS4 directly on the wood. I don't think there was any noise when I first turn it on, but when I put the disc in the noise was far worse than the PS3. The PS4 has hardly any rubber pads underneath to dampen the vibration, BUT overall the PS4 is FAR quieter. Even on the chest of drawers after a minute (maybe less) the noise stops and it's not the noise of the fan, it's the noise of the disc drive.

You will notice that the greatest amount of noise occurs on start up of the system, starting a disc based game and installing a game. My PS4 came with Watch Dogs (free at Argos FTW :D) and it was noisy for as long as it took to install the game. But after that it was almost completely silent. Now I've moved it onto the box, where it's no noisier than my PS3. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to use it at night, and let me tell you, I would never have thought that with my PS3. The PS3 uses it's disc all the way through playing, the PS4 starts up, installs/checks if it needs to install and doesn't use the disc drive again. The most amount of noise I've had with my high tech noise dampening technology is the fan when I had the game running while watching back footage, and it's hardly any noise at all. Even when it's producing a nice bit of heat is doesn't make much noise.

So that's my tip, find a cardboard box to dampen the vibration of the system ;)

The noisiest things about the PS4 are the L2 and R2 triggers, they are as squeaky as a bag of mice resting on an old floorboard in a feline butchers :D

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2014 14:13:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Aug 2014 00:16:22 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2014 15:00:15 BDT
Ness says:
Id love to know how you get 8-10 hours out of your PS4 controller, mines lasts about 4 hours max, prob less and I've seen countless people complain about the same issues.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 15:12:24 BDT
hammers4 says:
Mine makes a little noise but when playing or watching tv its not noticeable the controller lasts about 5 hrs so watch a film and charge it
I,m hoping for some old ps3 games to come on to ps4 such as infamous or god of war hopefully someone might know

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 16:21:35 BDT
I measured the sound on mine out of curiosity and got 29 db .5 meter away after 2 hours of TLOU which confirms what my ears tell me that it is very quiet.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Aug 2014 16:42:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Aug 2014 16:44:18 BDT
I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just giving you my experience. How about you record yours when it sounds like a hair dryer. Maybe also record a hair dryer so we can get a proper comparison so it doesn't just sound like you're another exaggerating child.
I said "I don't really hear" NOT "I don't hear", meaning there is a small increase but nothing big. I said barely audible also meaning I can hear it but again nothing worrying or to be bothered about. Maybe you should learn how to read.
I've got my ps3 slim and 360 beside my Ps4 and when they're booted up there's no real difference between them all. You can believe that or not, I really don't give a crap. I think I said at the beginning of my initial post that it must be luck whether the console is loud or not (ie giving your arrogant azz the benefit of the doubt).

Turn down my tv to 0 and play for an hour... are you mental?

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 16:50:49 BDT
J. Morgan says:
90% of the time its very quiet. Occasionally it will go into overdrive which you can hear if you have the volume down or the game is quiet. In general,if you have the volume the same as you would for TV during the day, you won't hear it.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 17:19:18 BDT
Heisenberg says:
Never noticed mine to be honest
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  46
Total posts:  133
Initial post:  9 Aug 2014
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions