Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Boxing and Ufc Discussion Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 938 posts in this discussion
Posted on 5 Jun 2013 14:29:33 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Well fellas, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen Carrales vs Castillo! Shall be youtubing that when I got a minute.

Re Khan vs Alexander; if I were Khan's handlers - who's he with now? I know he's no longer with Freddie Roach - I wouldn't mind a piece of Alexander. Tis the big hitters that Khan has trouble with - Peterson excepted - and, certainly at this point in his career, I'd not want to risk another bad KO. Shame he don't have the granite chin of a Eubank, or even a Froch! Would take some beating then, cos his talent surely aint in question.

Posted on 5 Jun 2013 14:34:29 BDT
Bozz says:
Amir Khan is a brilliant boxer, but his vulnerability is his downfall. Makes him exciting to watch though.

I would love Khan to face Alexander as I think Kell Brook is still technically IBF No1 contender, so it would be a step closer to Brook v Khan.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2013 14:52:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jun 2013 14:59:13 BDT
MintFox says:
Bearing in mind he's moving up a weight it will be interesting. Alexander isn't blessed with noticable power but he's been operating at welter for a while. Saying that Khan's chin might have a bit more resistance as making light welter might have been taking a fair bit out of him.

Only reason I think this fight is happening is because of the Dubai money, I think with Khan being so chinny he would only want to fight big names, one more loss to someone who's not at the very top and he's pretty much done at world level as a draw.

He's with Virgil Hunter now Blastro.

Posted on 5 Jun 2013 15:43:52 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Was thinking about all-time great fights, and reckon we'd all agree that Hagler vs Hearns is the best 'short' fight - y'know, fights that didn't reach halfway - maybe the best fight full stop, but was wondering what would qualify as the best fight to only go one round or less?

Reckon Benn vs Barkley would be in the running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78Rci47wcs

Posted on 5 Jun 2013 16:25:41 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Or how 'bout the greatest British fighter that never won a world title?

Bomber Graham? Kirkland Laing?

Posted on 6 Jun 2013 18:38:34 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Forgive my enthusiasm, don't get to talk about pugilism very often, if at all.

I follow the amateur game less than the pro one, but apparently we have 3 guaranteed medals in the Euros - Joyce, Selby and Bateson. Ireland have managed to get two through - Barnes and Conlan; just one less than the 'home nations' put together. I wuz under the impression that our amateur scene was in good shape, with lottery funding etc, but the Irish seem to be the ones that've got it sorted.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2013 08:47:32 BDT
Bozz says:
Intrested to see how Andrew Selby progresses, his brother looks a class act so hopefully he has simular talent

Posted on 7 Jun 2013 09:01:03 BDT
MintFox says:
Morning lads,

Loved George Groves face on ringside last night when Bellew was saying Degale was world class. I have a feeling 2 or 3 years from now were all going to be very, very excited for the Groves/DeGale rematch. Possibly with a couple of world titles on the line. I love a bit of real needle and these guys clearly hate each other.

Set Dawson/Stevenson to record last night and am pretty hyped for that now as well. Styles make fights and these guys should gel really well.

Posted on 7 Jun 2013 11:10:26 BDT
I had Degale winning that first fight against groves, only by a couple of rounds but i think he did enough. I would like to see him get some bigger fights soon but agree, i would live to see a rematch with a couple of belts on the line

Posted on 9 Jun 2013 06:20:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jun 2013 06:27:00 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Anyone watch last night's action on channel 5?
What I want to know is who the hell was the little Butterbean type dude they brought in as fodder for cousin Fury? The promoter's dad maybe? A bit pitiful to say the least; reminded me a little of some of the puddings they used to bring over for Frank Bruno to pound upon early in (well, most of) his career.

I thought Audley Harrison was the only one allowed to bail-out without throwing a punch and still collect his paycheque?!
They're all onto yer scam now Audley; no more easy money, the game's up!

Posted on 9 Jun 2013 13:59:45 BDT
MintFox says:
To be fair to Huey Fury he has had 5 fights in about 2 months and is still a novice. Even against opposition that bad you could see he had a wicked jab. Looking forward to seeing him progress to British level.

Last nights sky boxing was 2 bouts at totally diffrent ends of the Spectrum. Thought about fast forwarding the last 3 rounds of the first fight it was so dull then almost choked on my cornflakes in the 2nd after that brutal 1st round knockout.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2013 14:33:14 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Nah Astro, ya got me wrong! Wasn't having a pop at cousin Fury, just think that young fighters learn absolutely nothing from fighting the likes of that fella last night.

And someone needs to tell Fury No 1, that if David Haye doesn't want a part of him, it's certainly not cos he fears him. I mean, can ya imagine Fury against Haye? Very exciting for a while, but surely only a short while. One can't go around hanging one's chin in the air like a weather-vane - as does Fury - when one's in with a banger of Haye's caliber.
Don't recall ever seeing a fighter so open to a counter punch as Tyson Fury. Suppose that's what makes him exciting.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2013 16:07:33 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Ya picked a winner there Bozz. Selby comes away with our only gold.

Posted on 9 Jun 2013 18:27:36 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I did have a chuckle when Fury's opponent came into the ring, guess they found him kicking off drunkenly in KFC or something ;-) I do recognise that Hughie is cramming the fights in, he's fighting next weekend again isn't he? He's showing some good power though and boxing well for 5 fights, definitely one to watch. I just hope he doesn't pick up Tyson's arrogant carelessness.

Degale was again entertaining to watch but I wish he'd stop getting caught. I'm assuming he has a really strong magnet in his back and the ropes are metal. Do hope he goes far though. Was great to see Eubnak Jnr back in action again, looked very hungry, just hope he doesn't follow his father in posing, especially when he could finish the fight.

"Thought about fast forwarding the last 3 rounds of the first fight it was so dull then almost choked on my cornflakes in the 2nd after that brutal 1st round knockout."

Caught the Sky coverage this morning, snoozefest followed by a blink and miss. I was sans cornflakes though so only had to deal with not spilling my drink. The fight they showed after that, can't remember the guy, was pretty good. The one they're calling the potential P4P hardest puncher (or one of the hardest.)

Unless I'm missing something it looks like we've got a fairly quiet couple of weeks ahead. Then it's Golovkin versus Macklin which I'll be looking forward to.

1 month til Price vs Thompson though, I'll be sitting there bricking myself the whole time. Going to be like watching a Khan fight, hoping that one punch wont end it. Really want Price to succeed and want to see himself grow into the best heavyweight in the division. Fury is good but he lacks discipline and his banter is appalling, like a selection of big brother lingo mixed in with christmas cracker jokes.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2013 17:39:32 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Reckon Eubank Jnr's coming along nicely. He's apparently copping criticism about his punch power, but methinks that's more down to the fact that he's not getting matched against paycheck puddings rather than any shortcomings in the KO department. They're matching him just right imo - beatable fellas, but good enough to go a few rounds and teach him a thing-or-two.
He does tend to have his old man's habit of loading up on the Sunday punches a little too often, then having to coast for a while whilst recovering.
To quote an ancient trainer of the Jedi art - "Patience you must have, young Eubank; the knockout, you must not chase; come by itself, it will"

Posted on 11 Jun 2013 09:47:15 BDT
Bozz says:
Im not Eubank Jr's biggest fan, reckon he will be British level, maybe European at best, certainly not World level. I think Adam Etches has the beating of him hence why he has been dodging him for the last 12 months

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2013 18:56:57 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 11 Jun 2013 19:08:00 BDT]

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 13:55:49 BDT
Bozz says:
As predicted Scott Quigg has signed for Matchroom and will fight on 29/06 in Bolton

Also managed to get a hotel room cheep for when I go to Hull, so I have got 2 tickets to the boxing and a hotel and breakfast for just over £90.00, blooming bargain

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 14:21:18 BDT
Nice one Bozz that's a cushty deal mate. Looks like the Frampton fight wont be happening then which is a shame.

Boxnation have picked up a big fight this weekend live at 2am - Mikey Garcia Vs Juan Manuel Lopez, it should be a cracker
Also UFC is on from 1am and looks a pretty good card.

I wish Virgin would hurry up and let it's customers know whether they are picking up BT Sports, i'm sick of them not letting people know what's going on, they did the same with ESPN and Boxnation.

Rant over

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 15:06:48 BDT
Blastronaut says:
How long is Amazon gonna keep up with this censorship overkill? Beyond the joke!
There was one swear-word in my post - I was using it as the best way to describe Spinks' state of mind as it dawned on him what the beast that was Tyson was gonna do to him - and even took the time to censor it myself!!
Well, really can't be bothered to type it all out again sans the swearword, so I'll just sum it up by saying that I reckon Eubank Jr has a bright future.... but I'm not the best when it comes to predictions.

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 12:58:22 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Gone a bit quiet. This thread was thriving a short while ago. Not my deodorant, izzit?

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 12:59:29 BDT
MintFox says:
Lack of action recently, no doubt we will all assemble again come the end of the summer!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2013 13:04:38 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Fair nuff. Shall keep one eye on thread in meantime.

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 14:09:43 BDT
Still waiting to see if the Haye-Fury fight get's done, fingers croosed

Broner vs Malignaggi this weekend on Boxnation should be a good fight.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2013 15:26:23 BDT
Ness says:
"Haye-Fury"

I would buy that on PPV !, when is it rumoured to be taking place ?.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  938
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions