Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Official Steam Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2101-2125 of 2198 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 16:29:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2012 16:30:05 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
I changed my name at new year! It was a game thread I made letting two people pick the forum handle I'd be using for 2012.

I think it was Stew who picked Snarf
...And Ryan picked McAsshativic.

EDIT- Whoops, it wasn't Stew it was Balli.

Posted on 1 May 2012 10:02:14 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Whoot. Got a phone call saying my PC will be here on Thursday, built and ready to go.

Hmmm, what games to buy first?

Posted on 1 May 2012 11:06:11 BDT
I bought a nerf gun that'll hopefully be here on Thursday...I think I'm gonna have more fun :D

You could put it through it's paces and buy Crysis 2 - even though as mentioned, your PC should ace that on full whack.

Posted on 1 May 2012 11:28:53 BDT
Steve says:
Could someone confirm how Diablo plays. What I mean is I have heard there is no single player mode and there is no way of pausing the game. There has been murmurings of other things but these two sound terrible. Can any one confirm this.

Greg a NERF gun? Dont think I want to know.

Joel, try out Metro that seems to be a system hog on high settings.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 11:43:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 May 2012 11:45:33 BDT
Bunga says:
"Hmmm, what games to buy first?"

In terms of testing the computer & also are good games:

Crysis 1/2, The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3.

"Could someone confirm how Diablo plays. What I mean is I have heard there is no single player mode and there is no way of pausing the game. There has been murmurings of other things but these two sound terrible. Can any one confirm this."

Not sure about this, I thought it was basically exactly like Torchlight. You can single player but take that character online in co-op. I don't think there is a persistent world that carries on without any players like an MMO. I could easily be wrong though, I've never played D1 or 2.

Posted on 1 May 2012 13:41:57 BDT
Get Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai. Turn everything to highest. Weep.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 15:05:46 BDT
It's good fun Steve, great for keeping folk in line!

Posted on 1 May 2012 16:38:51 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Think I'll get BF3 as I hear it's supposed to be far better on PC (I had Bad Company 2 on Xbox and thought it was pants)

I have Rome TW Mozz, I suck at it so I don't think I'll get Shogun (since I got Rome for 1 in the Steam sales)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 16:47:51 BDT
Nessy says:
What resolution will you be playing at Snarf ?, as games like Metro 2033, Crysis 1 & 2, Witcher 2 and BF3 MP could still be a bit much for your PC if your planning on playing them at full HD with everything at the best settings.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 16:49:10 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Na, not going to do best settings. No need for that. I would more than likely play on high but I'm not really sure what resolutions I play at.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 16:52:26 BDT
Nessy says:
"Could someone confirm how Diablo plays. What I mean is I have heard there is no single player mode and there is no way of pausing the game. There has been murmurings of other things but these two sound terrible. Can any one confirm this."

Diablo is played in an online environment Steve, if you want to pause, just log out, no biggie.

You can play it single player or Co-Op.

Some gameplay -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8g7Hk3roQ8

I played the beta and altho i don't usually like those dungeon crawling type of games i loved it and will be buying it on release day.

Doesn't require an amazing PC either, it ran fine on full settings / 1080p on my AMD 6 Core 2.6 Ghz CPU, 8GB of Ram, GTX 550Ti.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 16:54:55 BDT
Nessy says:
Depends what your monitor can handle, not many support full HD anyway.

If your playing on an HDTV then you can just play games at lower resolutions if they are jerky.

Also don't put AA (Anti Aliasing, smoothes jaggies) on as it kills performance and i barely notice the difference without it on anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 16:57:44 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Hmm, I'm using a Samsung HDTV so I guess it supports full HD (says 1080p on it). I know about AA, not sure how much difference it makes but I'm happy with 720p as I can never tell the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 17:01:17 BDT
Nessy says:
If your display supports 1080p then run your games at that resolution.

Set a game to 720p, then change it to 1080p and you will see why i go on about it so much lol, 720 is like blurovision ;).

You should be able to get high 50's fps for any game on your system at 1080p but to get constant 60 fps you need to spend silly money on dual GTX 580's, a 590 or one of the new GTX 600 series :p.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 17:05:41 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Well I'll take a look at my settings later then.

Posted on 1 May 2012 17:51:01 BDT
I find I can REALLY tell the difference between 1080 and 720 on PC, even on a small screen because you're just that much closer.

Forget Rome Total War, that thing's an 8 year old game. At least try the demo for Shogun 2, just to see how your PC handles. (I'm looking at doing a similar build so it would be nice to know, for me at least ;P)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 18:03:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 May 2012 18:04:37 BDT
Nessy says:
"I find I can REALLY tell the difference between 1080 and 720 on PC, even on a small screen because you're just that much closer."

It's also because consoles (esp the 360) are really good at upscaling even SD resolutions up to 1080p.

It's quite astounding how they get the CoD games looking as good as they do when they are running at such a ridiculously low native resolution.

You are right tho it's a MASSIVE difference on PC between 720p and 1080p imo, altho i play PC games on a 40" HDTV so i might notice it a lot more than someone playing on a smaller screen.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2012 23:16:58 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
I shall see what's what at the time, but I'm not really that fussed on the looks to that extent. I'm more interested in load times on PC vs consoles, which is why I opted for the overclocked processor and 8gb of RAM over a more expensive GPU.

Posted on 1 May 2012 23:17:41 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Oh and I want to be able to play Minecraft again because it keeps freezing on my current system (plus I want to set my render distance to 'far').

Posted on 2 May 2012 09:20:46 BDT
Set up a server! I'll join at the end of the month after my exams and we can build a castle or something.

Posted on 2 May 2012 09:39:53 BDT
I'v never been any good at Minecraft. I tried it but I couldn't grasp it so I decided to leave it to others.
I've seen some brilliant creations that people have made and thought "you must either have the patience of a saint or too much time on your hands or maybe both" :)

Posted on 2 May 2012 11:14:31 BDT
Dela says:
Hey guys just a quick question...

Which Keyboard & Mouse do you use?... I recently purchased the Cyborg R.A.T 5 mouse, great piece of kit... Looking at replacing my keyboard next... Any suggestions?... I was looking at the Cyborg V5...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2012 13:53:14 BDT
M. Hackett says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 2 May 2012 14:49:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2012 14:59:03 BDT
Since when did you care what others do?

Oh that's right your the crusader for "I don't want anymore Posts In The Steam Since I don't actually like Steam myself personally and can't think a valid reason why you shouldn't post about it but I don't like it and I will spit my dummy out when I get marked down and people don't agree with my every word even though I know everything and you should all bend to my will and if I this thread continues I will complain about it until I am blue in the face and throw a hissy fit until someone notices me although I have upset everyone and no one except Hunter will talk to me and maybe once in a while someone else may reply but now I'm all alone because no one likes me on Amazon so I had to go running to them instead of taking it like a man and accepting the fact no one likes me and you are all Shills and I am telling my mummy about this"

The real truth is No one cares. You get marked down because you have pissed everyone off. It's nothing to do with your views.

Posted on 2 May 2012 15:03:58 BDT
Hunter, seriously mate, just leave it. We'd managed a good couple of pages actually talking about PC gaming ;)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  52
Total posts:  2198
Initial post:  26 May 2011
Latest post:  1 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions