Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The 'Metal Gear Solid' Thread - Moderated By 'The Patriots'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 23 May 2012 16:23:56 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Co-op all the way

The emphasis on competitive multiplayer can be a legitimate addition to some games. More often than not, it just means rehashed modes and assets from a previous installment, when it's not shoehorned into a game it simply doesn't belong to.

This "me too" mentality is slowly being discredited by interesting experiments. Co-op campaigns and innovative multiplayer offerings are being touted as the next big thing by developers such as Valve, Rockstar or Ubisoft. If Metal Gear Online was a misstep, the co-op heavy Peace Walker spun the whole concept of solo infiltration on its head without losing its balance and turning it into another virtual shooting range. No small feat, especially on a handheld.

Konami should take notice if they want to make good on their talk about regaining leadership lost to western developers. This is their chance to be truly innovative, they haven't cracked it just yet but if their last effort is any indication they only scratched the surface. Who knows what a more powerful hardware or integrated online experience could bring?

Posted on 23 May 2012 16:25:23 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Multi-platform is OK. Cross-platform is better.

Exclusives are nice fodder for another round of the Great Console Wars. Indeed, they can be a good thing provided there's a talented developer behind the scene, and a cooperative enough publisher. But the argument that Metal Gear (be it Solid or Rising) would be "dumbed down" if ever ported to Xbox is beyond silly. There are indeed some technical issues to iron out, but nothing Kojima Productions couldn't handle. Especially with the upcoming Fox Engine and its self-avowed focus on multiplatform. MGS needs to expand its fan base to survive, so the more the merrier.

But the big challenge here is a way to bring these players together, irrespective of their platform. Portal 2 is a fine example of a developer doing almost everything right. The PS3/PC multiplayer is an experience all the more refreshing that Valve had some really harsh words toward Sony a couple of years back. By combining a smart developer and a platform holder that - finally - gets its act together we the players are the winners, and Steam on PS3 a welcome experiment. Now, with the physical media on the way out, the experiment needs to become a norm.

Fox Engine, Transfarring, Project Ogre... Almost every bit of news about Kojima Productions is pointing toward this. The mere fact they are building a proprietary engine instead of the traditional and time-consuming "one game, one engine" policy is quite the revolution. A PS3/Vita connectivity was supposedly a big selling point for Kojima and without a doubt will be put to good use in the near future, especially to boost the handheld's appeal. And it will be the likeliest - and only - option until Microsoft wises up and loosens its rules on cross-platform play.

Posted on 23 May 2012 16:26:27 BDT
Solar Fox says:
User Generated Content

The Fox Engine reportedly boasts some neat user-friendly interface and, according to Kojima himself during a Q&A session at CalArts last year, manages to shrink the time necessary to create a level from the ground up (complete with props, vehicles, pathfinding, and a state-of-the-art character customization tool).

This is good news, but what about making these tools - or rather an even friendlier version of it - available for us gamers? For a series as popular as MGS, there is a shocking lack of community and the tools to bring it together in a fun way. Sure there is MGO, co-op missions and countless fansites complementing the official one... But no centralized community, no hub allowing us to share game sessions - let alone creations.

If KojiPro gave us these tools the possibilities would be endless, with potentially lasting effects. The Mother Base from Peace Walker could be fully customized to suit each player's needs and tastes. Same for the Metal Gear ZEKE it contains or the MSF manpower. VR missions and training grounds could be created and shared just like Little Big Planet or inFamous 2 did with varying degrees of success. Missions like Extra Ops could be modded to increase their challenge, adding more guards and tighter patrol beats, or entirely new creations calling upon the community's creativeness - or wickedness. Anyone who played the original VR missions from MGS - and their devilish Mystery mode - knows what kind of mindbending stuff could be achieved. The "Project Ogre" is reportedly an open-world game with the prospect of finding new challenges and places even beyond the 100-hour mark. It would be a tall order for any developer in the world. Unless user-generated content complements it, perhaps?

Posted on 23 May 2012 16:28:10 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Don't ditch the Codec, improve it!

The Codec has been curiously absent from the last couple of games, at least in its original form. The system sure attracted much criticism, but like so many things we don't really know what we lost until it's gone.

Its limited use in MGS4 was balanced with a more visually interesting interface, complete with painstakingly rendered and mo-capped protagonists. But except for a few hilarious moments (like Otacon's comments on Blu-Ray storage space making for one of the funniest instances of the series breaking the fourth wall) it was mostly useless, and didn't compensate its tacked on approach with anything substantial. The usual criticism is aimed at its supposed interference with the gameplay. And in some instances it is a valid claim. However, ditching it altogether would be a huge mistake, as it could be reworked and merged with other aspects of the narrative that replaced it somehow: the MGS4 Database and Peace Walker's Briefing Files.

Both are interesting additions, but their inclusion as a separated medium for the former and a mostly remote one for the latter really don't help. Being capable of accessing recorded data and reaching out to supporting characters live would go a long way towards bringing life to the games, as well as communicating fun and/or interesting trivia in a seamless fashion instead of cumbersome menus. No one's expecting branching conversations a la Mass Effect but a full-fledged, nonintrusive system covering save files, trivia, gameplay tips and story elements would be better than what we have now.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 21:53:43 BDT
Ballisticola says:
"However, with the series already busy on two different fronts (Cold War era for Big Boss, futuristic warfare for Snake/Raiden) opening another front with a WWII game would only divert resources from these well-established storylines. Besides, the Cobra members were envisioned as bad guys first and foremost and turning them into protagonists or even supporting characters could prove tricky, if not prone to excessive fan service."

Where's this from? The Cobra unit weren't the bad guys though!? Neither was Ocelot for that matter.

"It remains to be seen how a japanese developer would avoid that appalling western cliché, if they ever intended a prequel to MGS3 to begin with."

Is that a joke? :D The whole series is built on the message that "nukes are bad", especially because Kojima is Japanese. And The Boss didn't fight against Japan anyway.

Posted on 23 May 2012 22:44:48 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"The Cobra unit weren't the bad guys though!? Neither was Ocelot for that matter."

Ocelot was bad enough. He had that look in his eye when he span those single-action armys around. Grrrr..

Posted on 23 May 2012 22:55:40 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Metal Gear Solid studio promises "big things" at E3, teasing Metal Gear Solid 5, Project Ogre, and Zone of the Enders 3
May 11, 2012 By Anthony John Agnello

Konami's Kojima Productions teases its E3 announcements, so we look at what debut at the show.

Hideo Kojima and his drunken posse at Kojima Productions are vicious teases, constantly building completely unrealistic expectations. We're going to make a new Zone of the Enders! We're going to bring back Policenauts! It's just cruel. Ahead of E3, Kojima's laying it on especially thick.

During the most recent episode of the Kojima Productions Report Podcast, hosts Kendoza and Sean Eyestone discussed Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, the upcoming spinoff collaboration made with Platinum Games. In addition to promising some much needed clarity to the stream of teasers surrounding that game, the hosts teased that Kojima Productions has "big things" planned for E3.

Now, let's be realistic. Every single studio on the planet claims they have big things planned for E3. Bethesda could be planning on showing off new horse armor for Skyrim and its press relations soldiers would refer to that as "big things." Kojima Productions on the other hand has so much brewing in the background, that its tease of big things is actually pretty exciting.

What might those big things be? For starters, we could very well see Metal Gear Solid 5 debut at E3 in June. April rumors and job postings with Kojima Productions have suggested that Kojima Productions is in fact working on a numbered follow up to 2008's Metal Gear Solid 4. Despite Hideo Kojima's protests about continuing the series, Konami thrives on the money that the series brings in and recent losses mean they need it now more than ever. It's also the 25th anniversary of the series this year. Word is this game will, like Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, be a prequel that follows Big Boss rather than Solid Snake.

More information about the Zone of the Enders HD Collection will no doubt be part of the show as well. The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection has done very well for Konami and they're no doubt hoping Zone of the Enders will do the same. A sequel would certainly be a nice surprise but it's not likely one of the "big things" for E3.

Then there's "Project Ogre." Hideo Kojima has teased his next big project under this name since December 2011. At the time he told CNN that he was making an open world game rather than a linear action title. "The kind of game I'm making is some game that has a very wide entrance, a very open entrance. Rather than making something very cinematic, [I plan] to make something very free." It's said this game will run on Kojima Productions Fox Engine, which allows for easy development on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PlayStation Vita.

Posted on 23 May 2012 23:12:54 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"April rumors and job postings with Kojima Productions have suggested that Kojima Productions is in fact working on a numbered follow up to 2008's Metal Gear Solid 4."

And how would they do this i wonder? Snake has what, 6 months to live? Metal Gear Solid 5: Care Home Biscuit Eater? Even advanced technology can't reverse or stop the ageing process, and Solid Snake was a clone that could not be recloned. The only way they could advance the timeline is with Raiden's son John, and Sonny. The next generation of stealth protagonists. I doubt this will happen though, but if Kojima wanted to take the timeline further, then i think he would choose them. We certainly don't want anymore Johnny and Meryl, and Octacon could be the old timer this time.

Posted on 23 May 2012 23:29:22 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Originally, MGS Peace Walker was labelled MGS5. But the number was soon dropped, and just became Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Posted on 24 May 2012 01:21:17 BDT
Nessy says:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DW4lkq8uIg-8

;)

Posted on 24 May 2012 02:19:16 BDT
Hey,
Just wanted to add that my new Xbox MGS HD Collection arrived this morning. Mind you, with GRFS arriving shortly, don't know when I will get a chance to play it ??
Will post after I have finished MGS2 ...
Z

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 20:59:21 BDT
Angus says:
Forum newbie but MGS veteran here.

TBH the only really disappointing thing about MGS4 for me was not being able to save the game through the Codec. In previous games that cracked me up every time with the sheer fourth wall-bending Kojima humour of it.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:12:23 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Nessy - Wow, that title screen looks awesome!! I love the deep ambient sounds too. Cheers Ness! :) I was worried the title screen of MGRR was going to be some heavy thrash metal affair, but i'm really pleased with that. I have another link released today for that same trailer below.

Konami Confirms Metal Gear Rising Will be Playable at E3, Reveals Demo Start Screen 24/5/2012

Die-hard Metal Gear fans have a lot to look forward to this E3, with Konami and Platinum Games poised to blow the lid off of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in a big way.

Konami (and Kojima specifically) are known for their epic teasers, especially right around E3. This year they have not only confirmed that Metal Gear Rising will be playable on the show floor, but have also revealed the E3 demo title screen in an effort to get fans salivating for the impending gameplay blowout.

Check it out below.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/05/24/konami-confirms-metal-gear-rising-will-be-playable-at-e3-reveals-demo-start-screen/

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:23:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 21:24:25 BDT
S. Nokes says:
only played 'Metal Gear 1 on the ps1 if i get the others will i enjoy them ?

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:26:24 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"Just wanted to add that my new Xbox MGS HD Collection arrived this morning. Mind you, with GRFS arriving shortly, don't know when I will get a chance to play it ??
Will post after I have finished MGS2 ..."

I hope you do Zorton. Be good to hear your opinion on it buddy. Good or bad. I'm playing MGS2 HD at the moment, as i'm collecting dog tags. Held up 80% of the 'Big Shell' guards so far. Just got the Arsenal Gear section to go through to collect the rest of the dog tags for the very easy level. The MGS Collection should take pride of place in your games collection. Pure quality. :)

Angus - You're more than welcome mate. I check up on this thread most evenings. Really curious as to what KojimaPro are going to reveal at E3 this year. Big things are promised and the speculation and rumors are rife. I'll be happy with a confirmed production of MGS5 on it's own tbh, with a bit of info on the game to go with it will be the icing on the cake.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:37:45 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"only played 'Metal Gear 1 on the ps1 if i get the others will i enjoy them ?"

I would say definitely. But, i would say that MGS2 has a WTF ending that has puzzled and disgruntled fans, and non-fans alike. Gameplay wise MGS2 is awesome, even today.
MGS3 imo is the best of the series, you should definitely enjoy MGS3 if you enjoyed MGS1. MGS4 has it's ups and downs, due to overly long cut-scenes and abit of Kojima madness. But as i've said many time on here, it still impresses with it's visuals and technically flawless, gameplay mechanics. I love the CQC stealth combat in MGS4.

I have yet to play MGS Peace Walker properly. I've made some progress with it though. I got stuck at the second tank boss battle, but i'll come back to it soon. What i have played of MGSPW, has been very enjoyable so far.

Posted on 24 May 2012 21:58:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 21:59:32 BDT
Solar Fox says:
I have been speculating alot about MGSRR in my own head today. No outside sources, apart from the recent information teased by Kojima about Raiden being "Black Raiden"??

This got me thinking, and would explain the voice actors of Solidus and Sonny on MGRR. Firstly,*Spoiler* Raiden killed Solidus at the end of MGS2, and Raiden wasn't a cyborg then. So how can it be that Solidus is heard in the live-action trailers in MGRR with Raiden restrained and having cybernetic implants, surgically added to him?

Also, why does Raiden look different as a ninja cyborg in MGS4, to what he does in MGRR? In MGRR he has a bandage wrapped around one eye. His suit is different. One of his eyes is now red, an implanted cybernetic optical device. It glows red, which can be representative of "black" or "Evil'.

Yes, this isn't the real 'Raiden'. It's a clone of Raiden. The dark side of 'Raiden' - 'Black'. This is his cloned dark side, aka "Jack The Ripper". It would make alot of sense.

Solidus must have cloned Raiden before the original 'Raiden' killed him. Hence the scenes with Solidus and "Cloned" cyborg 'Raiden'(Black). As for Sonny, i can only imagine the time-frame changing to post MGS4, to introduce her character again. Saying that, the scenes with Solidus maybe just for the introduction of MGRR, or just for the live-action trailers.

Balli can congratulate me now. Time & date checked in the top corner. I have acquired no outside knowledge on this. It is all of the top of my head. (Too much time day dreaming at work). If anybody can see a flaw in this, then it better be a good one. ;)

Posted on 25 May 2012 19:47:42 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 28 May 2012 23:46:15 BDT]

Posted on 28 May 2012 17:17:44 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 23 Jul 2012 21:55:17 BDT]

Posted on 28 May 2012 17:22:40 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Jun 2012 16:09:33 BDT]

Posted on 29 May 2012 06:30:44 BDT
Solar Fox says:
? ? ?

Posted on 29 May 2012 14:53:08 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 23 Jul 2012 21:55:20 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 14:54:07 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 23 Jul 2012 21:55:20 BDT]

Posted on 29 May 2012 20:03:33 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Metal Gear Solid 5: 10 things we want from Hideo Kojima's latest masterpiece in-waiting

A Solid Snake prequel

Hids and his team have been duping us for nearly 14 years now. After introducing us to the most badass, clever quip-cracking hero this side of John McClane's string vest, Metal Gear whisked the real Snake away from us.

Oh sure, we got to control him in an impressively mulleted tanker cameo at the beginning of Sons Of liberty. We were also treated to the sight of his leathery hide damn near decaying in front of us as an unnaturally ageing pensioner in MGS4. But really, we've not had the pleasure of Solid Snake in his prime since the original Metal Gear Solid.

This is something we'd love to see rectified by Metal Gear Solid 5. Kojima has already DeLoreaned us back in time to the Cold War in Snake Eater to tell the story of a young Big Boss. So we see no reason why he couldn't do the same for the saga's true hero.

Just imagine controlling a wet-behind-the-ears Snake during one of his first missions for Foxhound. One of the main reasons Kojima gave for dropping the Solid One for Raiden in MGS2 is he felt series newcomers would find it easier to relate to a rookie. Snake, on the other sneaky hand, was already a fully formed character, and so had less of a story arc or learning curve to go through.

Giving us control of a young Snake in his 20s would make him more vulnerable and interesting than ever before. And stripping down his powers and gadgets (ala the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot) could make Metal Gear Solid 5 Snake's most distinctive adventure yet.

Of course, the presence of Big Boss on the Kojima Productions recruitment poster probably makes the above as likely as a John Candy-managed Jamaican bobsleigh win. But hey, a MGS fanatic can dream, right?

Posted on 29 May 2012 20:05:50 BDT
Solar Fox says:
A continuous adventure, not bitty missions

While MGS4's globe-hopping escapades lent Solid Snake's probable swansong a grand, sweeping flavour, it meant PS3's only proper Metal Gear felt bitty and somewhat insubstantial next to Snake Eater.

In contrast, Big Boss' personal Cold War was one continuous journey through a single, consistently interesting and evolving environment. It made both the action and the story more coherent. And it's why we'd strongly advocate a return to a single setting for Metal Gear Solid 5.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Official Amazon Football Thread - The Race for Sixth 2054 8 hours ago
XBOX One S 7 18 hours ago
Resident Evil 12 1 day ago
stop playing 4 1 day ago
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 7310 1 day ago
half a day and no posts 34 1 day ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 7: A man chooses, a HAW obeys. 5610 1 day ago
Cheap Games! 4526 1 day ago
Season passes? 11 1 day ago
Battlefield 1 93 2 days ago
Any muppets, clowns..... 24 2 days ago
Is anyone else attending EGX this year? 3 2 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  69
Total posts:  3118
Initial post:  12 May 2012
Latest post:  27 Nov 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions