Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 328 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:31:07 GMT
Crixus says:
"I could believe this if both Sony and MS were signed up to it but I just cannot see one doing it when the other does not. I really don't think this will happen. If it does, it's a fairly suicidal move from MS. "

It wouldn't be if, like someone said earlier, Publishers started making games purely for Xbox due to not being in second hand game market.

Would be genius move actually.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:31:44 GMT
Equinox80 says:
"I could believe this if both Sony and MS were signed up to it but I just cannot see one doing it when the other does not."

I agree with this, plus it was Sony who recently patented a device to block used games and all the rumours were surrounding them a few weeks ago. One magazine article later and that is forgotten and Sony won't block them and MS will. The sooner some concrete facts come out the better.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:33:25 GMT
Crixus says:
Price of games isn't that bad really, they were the same price in the days of psone and haven't rised with inflation at all even though peoples wages have risen

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:34:30 GMT
Nessy says:
Publishers would still have to pay the £15 to release a game on the 720 which is why games are £45 and not £30 like on PC to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:37:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2013 16:38:03 GMT
Bunga says:
"It wouldn't be if, like someone said earlier, Publishers started making games purely for Xbox due to not being in second hand game market."

True enough, but I'm not sure smaller games outside of the big exclusives like Halo and Gears of War could take the risk in cutting their potential target market in half by neglecting the other console.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:38:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2013 16:44:12 GMT
"Completely unnecessary and shouldn't be enforced, but I'm always online anyway so won't affect me."

So was i until i moved house and had no internet for nearly 2 months, i only got by because I could play offline. Granted most people dont move house much, however when ever you experience an internet outage for any reason you cant access your Xbox, all because of MS greed at used games.

So Nessy all this Sony wont use such a patent doesnt look certain now does it? - If MS have it Sony will follow suit im sure.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:40:52 GMT
...but would half the people buy a PS4 if no-one was making games for it? It's a massive chicken and egg. And also the primary reason why I won't be buying either for at least a year after release, just to wait and see what happens

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:40:53 GMT
Nessy says:
Unless MS have signed another deal with Epic then Gears of War will be on PS4 aswell as their exclusive deal expires after Gears Judgement.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:40:55 GMT
Crixus says:
"but I'm not sure smaller games outside of the big exclusives like Halo and Gears of War could take the risk in cutting their potential target market in half by neglecting the other console. "

Good point, also there's no way japanese developers would quit the PS and make games for a foreign company, they have to much loyalty to their countries brands.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:41:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2013 16:42:03 GMT
I have to say based on this news if Sony continue to have better exclusives and they dont make 2nd hand games a no no, my choice of next gen console has just become much simpler and not the way i thought i was going to go ... ta ta ta Xbox ; (

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:42:29 GMT
Crixus says:
"Completely unnecessary and shouldn't be enforced, but I'm always online anyway so won't affect me."

I'm always online as well however sometimes I love taking the xbox to the bedroom and playing in bed until late if I'm off the next day.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:42:34 GMT
Nessy says:
Have no idea if some or any of it is true, when Edge report something it usually has really good sources though, they are not CVG that report every little rumour :P.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:46:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2013 16:47:20 GMT
Bunga says:
"...but would half the people buy a PS4 if no-one was making games for it? It's a massive chicken and egg"

Also true.

I guess things may depend on how similar the two consoles architectures are for developers? I'm sure PS4 will be pushing digital content fairly heavily so if the games are much simpler to develop in tandem with 360 this time around then there may be no harm in a developer simply releasing a digital only version? No faffing with dodgy architecture, no costs in boxing and shipping or printing game manuals.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:46:59 GMT
Equinox80 says:
"I have to say based on this news if Sony continue to have better exclusives and they dont make 2nd hand games a no no"

Wait until it is news mate. It's just rumour at the moment and nothing more.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:50:47 GMT
Nessy says:
They are apparently almost identical hardware wise this time with PS4 having less but faster Ram and a GPU around 20% more powerful.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:53:05 GMT
Matthew says:
Should make porting easier Nessy lol

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:53:05 GMT
Im not going to make any decisions until its all confirmed mate, but if one consoles bans 2nd hand games and the other doesnt im going with them. I dont buy many 2nd hand games but I like the choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:54:47 GMT
"WIll that effect MP3 and Digital Movie purchases aswell ?."

In theory yes. It gets a bit tricky because the seller has to delete their copy when they sell the license on (otherwise they've just illigally copied it which is piracy) and at the moment there's nothing in place that forces them to do it. Basically the rulings been made now so it's enshrined in law that the consumer can legally sell their digital copy of something to a third party regardless of what the T&C's state (as long as they give up their copy at the same time), we need to wait and see how various industries catch up with it. PC's have a bit of leeway because all the digital distribution systems existed before the ruling, so they have a certain amount of time to catch up, but you wouldn't be able to introduce new technology after the ruling which goes against it.

Of course this only applies to Europe though, technically there would be nothing to stop MS or Sony releasing a version of their console in Asia and America which blocked second hand games. I'm not saying they would (I still think it would be a moronic move) but they could.

Plus just another thought, even if Sony and MS both agreed to block second hand sales, I reckon they'd still be scared of someone like Valve or Apple jumping in with their own home consoles which allow second hand sales and nicking all their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:55:53 GMT
Nessy says:
They are both really similar to WiiU aswell, if publishers wanted to they could make a game for all three with the PS4 engine just scaled down slightly for the 720 and a lot for the U. I doubt they will bother with a WiiU version though because of multi platform sales on Nintendo hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:57:18 GMT
Nessy says:
Thanks for the info.

Would be funny if MS let this leak, Sony copied them on Feb 20th and then MS didn't do it when they revealed the 720 !.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:57:45 GMT
As I said. If M$ do block second hand games then the devs can easily do the same on the PS4 just by releasing a unique code for each new game that has to be entered before it allows you to access the game

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 17:02:49 GMT
"...but would half the people buy a PS4 if no-one was making games for it? It's a massive chicken and egg."

But would the devs make games for the nextbox if hardly anyone bought the console due to no second hand market?

Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning,
On an ever spinning wheel
As the images unwind
Like the circle that you find
In the windmills of your mind

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 17:03:35 GMT
Publishers can already block used games on the PS3 - before it went free-to-play, DC Universe Online had codes that were assigned to the discs they were sold with, and once redeemed, that disc was tied to the account that redeemed the code. You can't pay for another code, like you can with online passes that come with other games, so second hand copies were useless.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 17:04:24 GMT
I think a few have touched on it but i'm starting to think that decision to ban the the use of second hand games may not be entirly down to MS and Sony.

Think about who is impacted the most from second hand games. MS/Sony sell the console for profit and games for profit, on top of that MS charge for online gameing, where it doesn't matter if the game is first or second hand. It could be the big developer/Publishers (EA, etc) telling MS/Sony that they will only sell if they actively work towards stopping the secondhand market. Possibly offering cheaper licences/software to the one that achieves the best result.

It makes sense when you look at it from that point of veiw, they have the most to gain from all of this.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 17:07:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2013 17:09:14 GMT
I think this is utterly appalling. Despite being unconfirmed.

Microsoft are rather cutting their proverbial nose off to spite their face if this is true.

Sony will dominate the console market if the 720 stops second-hand sales. Which it may or may not.

Expecting all owners to have an internet connection is pretty poor business planning. Of course this won't be an issue if this unsubstantiated story isn't correct.

What the Edge article fails to address clearly is if the new Xbox will actually be a Decepticon and actually transform from a console into a MANKIND-ENSLAVING OVERSEER. Have none of you considered that this also may happen? Will somebody think of the children.

More idle conjecture based on unsourced articles is imperative if we are really going to crack the mystery of what may or may not happen with the next-gen consoles.

Tin-foil hat placed firmly on head and rumour-mongering chip activated. The reason that the new 360 will be bundled with a Kinect is that it is actually going to be a sonic government device that will work even when it's unplugged.

Don't say you weren't warned.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  328
Initial post:  6 Feb 2013
Latest post:  15 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions