Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 186 posts in this discussion
Posted on 13 Mar 2012 19:34:00 GMT
MF says:
There are a couple of indie retailers in my local small shopping centre .. they are goods guys but the prices are horrendous ... i would like to support them but my wallet just cant take it .... they are not too hot on trade in deals either. There is one next to blockbusters and one bang opposite side of road .... speaking of bbusters - have you seen the prices for preowned these days --- gone up with a bump !

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 19:57:42 GMT
Blockbusters near me are actually pretty reasonable I think. They have Gears 3 and Resistance 3 for 9.99 preowned, not bad at all. Some are still quite expensive though, like MW3 at 25. Still less than GAME though.

I haven't been in the only indie store near me for a long while now. Last time I went in was when MW2 was due out. I asked them about price to preorder and they said £55 and that I wouldn't get in any cheaper anywhere else as that was the new RRP. The bit about RRP was true, but even GAME were doing it for £45 on release.

Me and th mrs are opening up a shop at the moment, and when thinking of ideas for it my first thought was how I would love to run a game shop. Just couldn't see any way it could succeed though, not nowadays. Think it's a huge risk opening any high street shop, never mind for something like games.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 20:59:13 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
ill just point out i put a list of games ive bought and i am playing them not trading them in for profit. I was just asking if anyone else had found any cheap games that were worth any good money out of curiosity only with someone mentioning what they did.

When someone mentioned this is why game are in trouble thats rubbish, Company A sell a product cheaper than company B so everyone buys from A. What company B should do is then drop the price cheaper than A, they then get more sales and more money than A and so on and so forth, this is capitalism and prices should always be driven down to make money But this isnt happening so it goes all baps up.

Game and not as bad gamestation have just lost the plot and are taking the p.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 09:07:07 GMT
No retailer has the right to produce or distribute promotional material of a product unless it's specifically agreed with the publisher. Also retailers don't produce the promotional material, the publisher (or a third party under contract from the publisher) does, in many cases the retailer may have a preferred supplier/printer that they direct the publisher to but it's always under contract of the publisher.

Yes you're right publishers have parts of their PR budget to cover these things, but the retailer won't bear any of the cost, the publisher will. It's very similar to TV advertising, the retailer provides the space (airtime) for the publisher to advertise THEIR product in. Game just can't decide to produce a load of promotional material for a game and give it away when people buy a copy, it has to come from the publisher. The most Game can do off their own bak without publisher permission is take a pack shot (so a image of the game case) and display it on a poster in the window/on their website.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:50:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Mar 2012 14:24:43 GMT
Dante says:
Honestly, at first I was upset to see GAME on the way out, but now I'm not fussed.

Went in a few days ago to use up a Gift card and my points I'd been building up, and decide that now would be a good time to get Uncharted 3 (£29.99 new, £19.99 used). So I grab a new one, take it to the desk and expect to spend about £3 (having £10 points and £17 credit).

The guy puts the box face down, and starts ruffling through the drawer. I ask to use up my points first and he's ok with that, being quite quiet however. And then when I hand him my gift card he puts it through and that's that. A bit surprised when I wasn't asked for money he explains that the pre-owned was only £19.99, I tell him I wanted the new copy (reason being that this way the publishers get their cut and I don't have to spend £10 in the PSN when I get home for the multiplayer content.) But he explains that the sales gone through already and he can't change it, but assures me that there is no difference (lies).

I confront him about the online pass and he assures me that it will have probably been used, but I don't really need it anyway. (Lies) so I ask to talk to the manager who also then confirms that despite the box clearly stating, "one time pass required for online activation" (paraphrased) that he has a copy (probably a lie) and has never needed to use a code for any online features (definite lie), but if I take it and it doesn't work then he'll sort me out later.

A little pissed by this I take it and try it at home. On loading you can't even get into the multiplayer menu without that code. I give the one in the box a shot and luckily it worked, but was so pissed off by the way I was treated (and the fact I now still have a £7 gift card to use) that I ended up not playing regardless.

So yeah, I've had a long and mostly pleasant history with this company, but now I'm almost glad to see the back of them. They only pushed the pre-owned copy on me so they could keep the whole profit rather than actually paying the publishers their fair share. Very little wonder that the publishers refuse to stock them at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 15:03:23 GMT
This to my mind is what's signed their death certificate.

Sure they can lie about the online pass, and yeah 99% of the time they'll get away with it. For that 1 sale. But then once the customer gets home, tries to play the MP and realises they have to pay an extra £10, do you really think they're going back to Game for their next purchase, or do you reckon they're going to go to one of the countless other games retailers, highstreet or online, for it?

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 15:14:35 GMT
Uncharted 3 is £25 new in Asda....Saw it today at lunch

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 15:15:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 15:15:56 GMT
RAB says:
Surely that's a breach of contract?

You bring a new copy to the counter, that is you initiating a contract for the new copy at the price specified, that means you haven't agreed to a contract involving the preowned copy which makes the sale null and void. I wouldn't have left the store until they gave me a new copy.

That's before you go into the lieing about the online pass.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 15:46:36 GMT
Trigger says:
Bad luck Dante, at least the online pass worked (co-op is excellent BTW), but you shouldn't have been argued into a sale. I would have demanded my money back and gone to a different branch out of principal.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 16:44:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 17:12:15 GMT
What Dante said is outrageous. I've had that trick pulled on me before but luckily I'm a confident chap and not afraid to argue my point.

I tried to buy a copy of forza 4 for my nephews birthday recently and handed the guy in game a new box. His immediate response was "I'm just popping out the back to grab a pre owned copy as its cheaper". He was so cocky like he was doing me a favour. I just looked at him and said "No your not, your gonna go out the back and grab me a brand new sealed copy with the Microsoft seal intact. If you don't have one in stock then no sale".

He was quite taken aback as I said it in a firm and reasonably loud voice. When he finally returned with a new copy he said "can I ask why you don't want a pre owned copy, it is cheaper". It was at this point I grabbed him and dragged him over the counter and proceeded to beat him to dea......no wait that was a day dream lol.

I just said I dont like the way you push pre owned games on people and that unless the price difference is say £10 pre owned or £40 new then I'm not interested. I said they charge too much for second hand games that have discs covered in marks and boxes that looked like they had been thrown around the house before being traded in. I said it was a birthday present and I wanted my nephew to have a nice new box and the code for the extra cars that came with all new copies.

He shut up after that. That's why I don't feel sorry for the staff losing there jobs. Yeah there's a few nice people I've met in game but most of them are vermin who are just as bad as the owners. They prey on weak minded people and youngsters who won't argue back and they lie through their teeth to get sales.

When video games has become the number one entertainment media and now makes more revenue than films and music you have to say theirs got to be room on the high street street dedicated store.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 16:52:04 GMT
Trigger says:
I wouldn't argue with you Wayne. Didn't you once punch someone at a festival who said Metallica were s***? I saw the recreation on Crimewatch but was too afraid to phone the crimestoppers number.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 17:14:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 17:15:47 GMT
Lol nah not me tel.

I did have a row at a festival once. I know it's a festival but come on, when it's five o clock in the morning and I've asked you nicely 5 times to turn the music down a tad so I can get some kip then sorry but you deserve a smack in the mouth :)

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 04:15:14 GMT
Matthew says:
Picked up Yakuza 3 in this sale, never played before but peaked my interest as it was only £2.98, that and 2 other people near me picked up copies which drew the game to my attention.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 08:35:27 GMT
"Surely that's a breach of contract?

You bring a new copy to the counter, that is you initiating a contract for the new copy at the price specified, that means you haven't agreed to a contract involving the preowned copy which makes the sale null and void. I wouldn't have left the store until they gave me a new copy."

I have always said, that they lie and are cheating the system. Have heard a few people on here saying that they simply just asked for their DLC and were handed it....as if the ones that hadn't asked, were stupid for not doing so. Unfortunately, I think it's luck of the draw. What town you are in, what store you live next to and what muppets work in there. My store..would have you come out with no code, making you feel wrong..that you had asked..that you had stood your ground to not get ripped off. Seriously...the reason I stopped shopping in there was because I came close to literally smacking a couple of the guys...especially that fat, rat looking twonk with the big furry chin and goofy teeth. Fortunately for me..when someone winds me up the wrong way..I make it heard for all to hear.

I have always gone in there to buy a brand new game. Picked the game off of the charts shelving (yeah, a few years ago now...when they weren't in so much trouble) and took it to the counter. They would take the game out of the draw and the manual, put them both into the box you handed them...and then stick a round purple sticker over the opening so they they could tell if you had opened it. They would then tell you..."If you open this seal, you can't return your game..you have seen the contents I have put into the box, you agree to that".

Er...hang on you rat looking fat c n u t...you have just sold me a second hand game!!! How many innocent people have actually been stood in that position...and honestly believed at that moment in time...the game they were buying was new?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 08:37:07 GMT
"It was at this point I grabbed him and dragged him over the counter and proceeded to beat him to dea......no wait that was a day dream lol. "

Hahaha! Wayne...similar minds think alike!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2012 14:22:18 GMT
Dante says:
It was about 8 mins till closing time to be fair, and I had had a pretty rough day in work, (stopping in on my way home) and just couldn't be arsed arging about it at the time. Had the content NOT been included I would have gone back with hells fury on my side. I made my protests and was absolutely assured that I didn't NEED the pass (A blatent lie) but if there were any problems I could come back another day.

I'm usually quite an assertive shopper but was 3 kinds of tired at that point. I just hate feeling like i'm getting ripped off. And to make it all the worse I now STILL have £7 on a gift card that i'm not even sure I WANT to use. Might try and flog it to my flatmate.

@RAB; I'm not sure thatt it would count as breach of contract, as I am fairly ignorant in the ways of the law, but either way it's a bit of a dick move. Especially since customer goodwill is all they have at this point. (Which doesn't bode well for them)

Also @Si B -Taz; It SHOULD have cost me £3 in GAME. But alas. It isn't helping them that the £40 price model is inherently broken (despite them trying to RAISE it) as almost every game on their shelves, new or pre-owned, is cheaper somewhere else.

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 19:25:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2012 19:33:45 GMT
Nick. says:
Once a while ago I was looking at a game for a console I didn't have (can't remember what it was) and was told it would work on mine. I only recall this after reading these stories; I then told him that he definitely would not work; and walked out in disgust. So many people must have been messed over by this!
edit: Trying to remember the exact console/ game.

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 20:25:55 GMT
It was Mario 3DS on the Neo Geo...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2012 20:52:24 GMT
Nick. says:
Yep! He said it would go up to 1080P too... lying b******;)

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 23:47:11 GMT
Telik says:
Just on friday past i took advantage of the sale in Gamestation. Traded some old games in (3 games i think) and walked out with 8 games from the sale lol.

Uncharted 3 (New £29.98)
Eternal Sonata (Preowned £7.98)
Dungeon Siege 3 (Preowned £7.98)
God of War 3 (Preowned £7.98)
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (Preowned £4.98)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Preowned £4.98)
The Saboteur (Preowned £4.98)
and Dark Void (Preowned 98p LOL)

On top of that, when leaving to go home I looked to see how much i had on my Gamestation card and I had earned £5 through the trade in so im gonna get another game when in town monday! That will make it 9 games for spending nothing hehe.

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 05:21:40 GMT
Matthew says:
Some guy posted on hotukdeals that he got Steel Battalion, with the huge controller for the Xbox for 49p in this sale, with proof with his receipt. He got the deal of the century in Gamestations/Games final hour.

Apparently some stores have kept these in the back as they havent sold when displayed out front. Guess all the shops will of sold what they have/staff picked up, but could be worth asking I suppose.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 16:05:39 GMT
Not happy atm, I know this may sound wingey but I ordered four games in the fire sale two Saturdays ago. And I have only recieved 2. I have had two of the same emails on different days saying they were dispatched. I'll give it until the end of the week before emailing them or something.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 16:46:26 GMT
Dont wait too long, if they dont get one of their potential buyers in place by end of the week, they'll be in administration

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2012 08:21:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Mar 2012 18:34:25 GMT
I'm in the same position; ordered four games from game/gamestation over a week ago and so far only one has turned up.

EDIT: Came home to MOH PS3 (£3) (just installing Frontline now), Bulletstorm 360 (£3), Rage Ltd Ed (£8) new and Brink (£5) new from an amazon seller.

Spent about £50 over the last week but got 15-20 games!

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 08:55:29 GMT
I'm hoping they'll turn up today or tommorow. I think it may just be the post service near me. I also have another order from somewhere else from around the same time which is yet to turn up.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  54
Total posts:  186
Initial post:  9 Mar 2012
Latest post:  3 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions