Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

New arrivals this E3???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 134 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Feb 2013 17:51:20 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I do find it a bit strange that EA have got BF into a 2 year release cycle. They did the same with Mass Effect when it became popular, make it look great but take away the depth and what made the series great.

Call of Duty though, it's a complicated one. I do enjoy playing online and listening to people argue in Search and Destroy (and making them argue by annoying them in-game), plus the throwing knife will always be my favourite addition.

However, yearly releases aren't exactly necessary. Obviously if people keep buying they will keep making them, but they could just as easily update one Call of Duty for 3 years while working on a better engine, a better storyline and more online features for the next big update. That would be the perfect system for everyone (Devs get to spend more time with their product, Activision still get their money, the customer gets a better game and saves money). Unfortunately, people are happy to settle for second best and let the devs become restricted and not work to their full abilities to push out a game while the publisher gets all the money they could want and more.

Publishers are the necessary evil, for the time being.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 18:08:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 18:09:23 GMT
@Phil

You do care ;)

I wasn't having a pop at you Phil, if it came across as such I apologise. I cherry picked the quotes otherwise I'd have to past the entire thing. I suppose when you say shame it implies you care, maybe not a lot, but a little non the less.

I didn't think you were talking about anybody who posts here. But I guess people who only play COD and don't experience everything else gaming offers are just like those who don't even try gaming. They've found something they're happy with and that's all they want/need. I read a lot but I know people who only read Steven King books. What they like/want is Steven King books. I could offer different authors and genres but that's not what they want. I do think though if COD deteriorated massively their enthusiasm would wane and dissipate. I suppose I only questioned presuming they were blind sheep and had no opinions/feelings towards what they're playing as possibly patronising.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 18:16:27 GMT
djburty says:
I personally am not too bothered about certain gamers fascination with cod, fifa or tiger woods yearly updates. I would disagree that they spawn endless clones that saturate the market. It's a mark of desperation to include xcom and bioshock as military shooters - perhaps fallout 3 and valkyria chronicles should be in there too?

I personally think that there are 3 main military style shooters and the occasional outsider (eg home front) doesn't class as oversaturation. The variety of genres is as strong as ever and I still feel spoilt for choice when it comes to gaming. New & pre-ordered games include ni no kuni, bioshock infinite, sly cooper 4, the last of us, soul sacrifice & tearaway. None of these could be classes as a cod-clone - even killzone mercenaries looks and feels too different to be compared too much to cod.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 18:23:17 GMT
Eloquent retort hoopla :)

Tbf sitting, wearing a headset, playing COD against American kids is no worse than sitting in your pants playing skyrim for hours - me :p

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 19:27:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 19:28:01 GMT
You wear pants! Skyrim was designed to play commando (That's the only way I can play it. It's virtually a FPS military shooter then). :)

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 20:21:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 20:42:08 GMT
Solar Fox says:
It makes me smile when CoD is named a military shooter when most of the time it's players running around like psychotic Usain Bolts. Hardly a military tactic that gets promoted in training camps, leave your squad and run like the clappers, fire from the hip and get several kills and you can have a care package of a sentry gun.

CoD is by no means a bad game but you can't hide the crucial let downs like random hit detection/lag especially with how fast people can run around at now with disregard for any team work. I actually think the CoDs are gradually getting worse each year. MW3 mp I gave up on long ago. Blops 2 feels tacky, looks cartoony but makes up for it with some clever additions to the classes and customisations.

I find it awful though when you get into games that repeatedly have you drilling the bejesus out of an enemy player, only for them to turn around with a merry dance and take you out with what appears to be a single poorly aimed bullet. That's the Russian Roulette with hit detection advantage which can totally unbalance a game. Top kills on enemy team 36, top kills on our team 10. Is all of our random team that unskilled? Not likely. This may just be a PS3 issue.

I also think CoD has resonated through this gen's game decisions. Such as making Resi 6 more military gung ho. The same can be said for Dead Space 2 & 3 in the decisions to emphasise more shooting combat than using weapons to just survive.

I still play Blops 2 now and again in hope of a balance connection. When it's balanced it's great fun, but when it's not it's pure frustration that can only be resolved with a rage quit. That's why I don't play much CoD these days, it's unpredictable, chaotic, and on a gradual slide to mediocrity. If that makes me a snob then i'll wear that name tag with a smile and a wink to all the Cod lovers out there.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 20:22:54 GMT
C. Jones says:
ive nowt against the cod series i just became disilussioned with it after i disliked mw3 and it was just boredom of it i think which is why i didnt buy bo2 fair dos to the crowd that still love it but after 4 - 5 years of hammering it id had enough but saying that im bored of mp in games in general now its not just cod

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 21:19:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 21:20:07 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Here, have some punctuation marks:

.,';:!

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 21:22:54 GMT
Lol.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 03:20:10 GMT
DJ-Cyphon says:
How did this post about E3 turn into a post about COD...

Please, please, please, please can people actually talk about E3? .. pretty please? @_@

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 07:26:27 GMT
Whilst I don't think "COD" is drowning the market i do feel it's heavily influencing gaming because its multiplayer mode is a source of inspiration for a lot of studios, who have integrated COD mechanics into their own games. This is what annoys me about COD the influence. New titles that are being released with the introduction of multiplayer, that in my eyes just don't need it. I was horrified when i heard about Tomb Raider and God of War having this addition, hopefully it will be successful but I'm all about the single player, storylines and immersing myself with the characters.

It's the most popular, sold, played game for a reason and the reason is probably that it's what people want to play, whether you like it or not (I don't). Gamers like what they like. Whether it is sticking to one or multiple series of games. Generally gaming and it's games, in my opinion, gets bigger and better every year. Has it ruined gaming? Nah. Has it ruined the gaming community? To some extent, Yes I believe it has. Now almost everyone I know plays COD and says every other game is boring or don't even bother trying different games and there are so many out there to choose from.

Anyway just thought I'd add my thoughts. Back to the original topic, I'm really looking forward to E3 this year lots of next-gen delights

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 09:08:43 GMT
DJ-Cyphon says:
I get marked down for asking people to keep to the actual topic.... That's a pretty amazing sense of logic :P

Hopefully this E3 will be the best yet, or at least one of the best.. With a bit of luck some new and amazing IPs might get announced

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 09:48:47 GMT
I'm looking forward to the announcements from Nintendo apart from Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda WW and SBM, I hope they have new IP's to show.
Retro Studios with have something tasty up their sleeves.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 11:00:44 GMT
Im looking forward to seeing what the new consoles are capable of. What with The Witcher 3 being "confirmed" as a next gen title i'm intriuged to see what the graphics are going to be like.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Nintendo have got planned for 2014.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 11:55:46 GMT
I'm looking forward to the new COD

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 13:24:30 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
THE HELL YOU ARE!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 16:51:10 GMT
Matthew says:
Some people seem to mark down for no reason what so ever. I noticed 3 marked me down for responding to someone who obviously doesn't like being incorrect.

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 16:54:03 GMT
The marking down is always a pain in the butt, wish it would display names of those who do it at least then it could be discussed.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 17:02:10 GMT
Matthew says:
No logic to it what so ever to be honest. If you look on Page 1, I simply said that in my opinion Namco Bandai will release the next Tales of game on a Sony machine as they have a history of doing so and all the recent console games are on Sony machines. Next thing I know some guy is basically saying you're wrong, Nintendo will get a Tales game next, I'm like no for the reasons stated above, he was trying to imply Nintendo get a lot of Tales games, when in reality Tales games on Sony consoles out number the Nintendo ones 4-5 to 1 lol.

Using Google will verify what I said to the letter. Unsure how that could of upset someone, I wasn't taking sides, mearly discussing the Tales of series. Oh and the Star Ocean one, he seemed to make an effort to imply that I was somehow wrong saying Star Ocean 5 will come out on a Sony or Microsoft machine and not a Nintendo one.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2013 17:09:21 GMT
I agree about the inclusion of MP in games that don't need or should have them. I always fear something in development has been neglected for its inclusion. Surely it has to as all these developers are working to a budget and MPs cost money to develop. I also understand how COD could be blamed for it, but I'm not 100% convinced. COD4 is one of those sort of zeitgeist games. There has obviously been online gaming before (mostly on PC) but COD4 fully kicked in the door to online gaming for consoles. I think possibly if it hadn't been COD (and Halo) it would have been something else.

One of the reasons I haven't said anything much about E3 is mainly because it's MONTHS away. We've probably got the announcement of the next gen of consoles and a ton of games before then. Most the games we'd talk about will either be speculation or already talked about in the New game hype thread.

Posted on 8 Feb 2013 10:10:57 GMT
J-Bear says:
New arrival at E3!

Rayman Legends ;)

Posted on 8 Feb 2013 10:21:22 GMT
Dela says:
Nessy to unveil the PS4/720 and bang on about terra/giga-flops infront of a hyped/bewildered crowd...

Posted on 11 Feb 2013 06:31:18 GMT
DJ-Cyphon says:
Some things I wanted to get announced Has just been announced.. Assassin's Creed 4 for example (although apparently it wont be a brotherhood type game) Saints Row 4 has also been announced but sounds.. Weird.. Even by SR standards. And there was hints about Fallout 4 being next gen.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/15187/20130207/fallout-4-release-date-news-bethesda-job.htm

Hopefully on Feb 20th the PS4 will get announced.. But then again it might just be a teaser for upcoming PS3 first-party games, which would be kind of stupid on Sony's part..

Posted on 11 Feb 2013 16:25:13 GMT
Realistically, I'd like to see a bunch of new games for next-gen consoles.

On the Sony front I'm guessing:
Killzone 4
New Evolution game (another MotorStorm?)
New Media Molecule game (definitely a new IP)
New Sucker Punch game (likely Infamous 3?)
Something - anything! - on The Last Guardian
Maybe some new Vita stuff. Gravity Rush 2 confirmation? Patapon and LocoRoco? Invizimals? Killzone Mercenary. Plus some new IPs please

From MS:
A new Forza
Possibly a new Fable
A couple of new games from Rare - one or both using Kinect; one of those might be a new Kinect Sports
Ryse
Probably/possibly another Halo filler-instalment? 1-3 remade using 4's graphics engine and released at the next Xbox's launch? Presumably they'll hold back Halo 2 Anniversary until late 2014 to celebrate its 10 year anniversary

From Nintendo:
SOME NEW IPS PLEASE
And obviously the ones we know about: Mario Kart, Super Mario, Xenoblade 2, Wind Waker HD, Fire Emblem x Atlus, hopefully a new Retro game, maybe the new Smash Bros. reveal (although I don't think it'll be ready for release for a good 18 months from now)

As for third parties or current-gen releases, I'm looking forward to Dark Souls II, Beyond: Two Souls, GTAV, Watch Dogs, and maybe a few others (Destiny, if it ever gets revealed!). Although I think a lot of current-gen games will be overlooked in the next-gen hubbub, which would be a shame, as the crossover year is usually where a console gets its best games as developers have really come to understand the hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 16:31:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2013 16:35:31 GMT
"Unfortunately yes. Indirectly it is CODs fault."

No, the 'fault' is with the 20+ million people who buy COD every year. Activision are giving the public what they want, and the public lap it up. Other publishers look at this and try to replicate it to varying degrees of success (EA, THQ, Ubisoft), but they're just businesses trying to ape the popularity of a successful product. It happens in all markets. Whether COD's popularity is good for the long-term health of the industry is subjective, but you cannot blame a publisher for wanting to make money.

EDIT - sorry, I replied to this post before realising that this little debate had gone on for pages! I do think it's a bit silly when people hate COD because it's popular; can't you just ignore it and focus on the stuff you do like instead?!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9fbbfd5c)

This discussion

Participants:  35
Total posts:  134
Initial post:  4 Feb 2013
Latest post:  16 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions