Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Black Ops 2 First reveal 1st May 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-113 of 113 posts in this discussion
Posted on 4 May 2012 10:25:04 BDT
Dela says:
Personally, I think the game looks a shambles...

Totally cliche design:

Tanks with legs?! - Star Wars:V says "hi"
Hovvering drones?! - Terminator says "hi"
Soldiers with visor helmets?! - Masterchief says "hi"
Gruff war-ravaged soldier wearing sleeveless body armour?! - Marcus Fenix says "hi"
Some old dude 'telling a story' from the past?! - Saving Private Ryan says "hi"

And lets not even mention the graphics...

Just poor...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 10:29:26 BDT
Thanks for your positive input there Dela;) Actually I agree with every point you made except for the last one "Just poor....". I'd say "I'm totally intrigued...." even though it all looked totally bizarre.

Looking forward to seeing actual game play now. If that video had been released on April 1st I would have been very suspicious.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 10:32:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 10:32:40 BDT
Dela says:
lol... I see what you did there, R ;)

No really... I can't see how people could be getting excited about this...

If it was a new IP reveal it would be getting torn apart for being a multiple-clone...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 10:36:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 10:38:26 BDT
A bit too early too dismiss it though - just on a non gameplay trailer. At least it sounds like Treyarch are attempting something different for the franchise. What with the non-linear gameplay and the complete bizarreness of their view of future warfare (from that trailer). Like you say it could be a step in the wrong direction, but on the other hand it could be as enjoyable as the introduction of Nazi Zombies. Too early to say.

Posted on 4 May 2012 11:09:42 BDT
Dela...that has to be the single greatest piece of journalisim I've ever read - accurate, to the point, witty and general perspective...up to the point of "just poor"

But I'm sitting in GRFS corner on this, fair enough it's out sooner, but the longevity of the Ghost Recon MP must be far superior to it's now COD counterpart. As the flying drone is GRFS' UCAV.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 11:16:29 BDT
BALLYSEAGAL says:
the trailer that i seen on live i don't like the look of it.

Posted on 4 May 2012 11:51:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 11:51:49 BDT
Yeah the trailer really shows off how old that engine is now..i thought the worst part was the controls inside the aero-hover-plane thing, very pixelated. Thing is i dont see how they can improve the graphics without sacrificing the smooth 60fps gameplay

Posted on 4 May 2012 12:18:40 BDT
Crixus says:
Dela - If someone told me there was a game coming out that was a mix of star wars, terminator, halo, gears of war and saving private ryan I would probably think it would be the best game ever!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 13:14:25 BDT
I thought the SP of MW3 looked pretty good visually and while I think MW3 map designs are uninspired and actually a backward step I thought Blops 1, MW2 and even the COD4's revamped maps for MW1 all look good still. You're right it does look its age but unlike games like Fallout New Vegas where the engine fundamentally damaged the gameplay I don't think it's the same for a COD title.

Dela while your post made me laugh you could do that for lots of great games. It's all been done. Dragon's, elves, big swords, snow capped maintains, ancient lor?! - Every fantasy film, book, Prog Rock album cover says hi. ;)
The old guy in the trailer is very much like the beginning of Elroy's American Tabloid.

Posted on 4 May 2012 13:50:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 13:57:41 BDT
Dela says:
Fair enough about many cultural mediums borrowing from eachother etc.etc. and I know many things have been done before many times...

BUT to have a trailer that lasts only a couple of minutes that abuses your eyeballs with cliched futuristic visuals from start to finish and is SO blatent about "borrowing" its ideas from film/TV and games from years gone by you have to ask yourself are the devs not only getting lazy using the same engine year after year but now they can't even be a*sed to create their own unique game design...

Maybe I'm over-reacting (read definately) and the full game will have all these aspects thinned out so it wont as obvious but as a trailer it looks like trash...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 14:08:16 BDT
hoopla & dela - you're both right. the analagy of borrowed ideas can be applied to virtually any game/film/music etc. being completely original is *very* hard these days, and COD is an fps videogame in 2012 - it has virtually no chance of being very original. it just has to be the best of it's type

.......and the trailer looks rubbish. the visuals simply don't measure up to the best that the console fps market has to offer anymore, the gameplay hasn't differed AT ALL for 5/6 years now. simply put if this is the best that the biggest game franchise in the world can offer, and the sequel to the fastest selling game of all time then it's sad times.

don't get me wrong - i'm sure there are going to be worst games released this year and the remainder this gen, and it's nice to see activision doing something a *bit* different with CoD but this (basically) 5-year-old game doesn't deserve all the hype and sales it gets anymore. COD4 and W@W were the peak.

Posted on 4 May 2012 14:26:51 BDT
Fair enough, I suppose I tend to get suspicious these days around anything to do with people's reaction to COD. How much is it somebodies dislike of the franchise that taints their view? (not you specifically btw) If it had been Homefront 2 or a new IP would people still call the trailer trash?

I can't say the trailer blew my mind but it was alright. But in all fairness I haven't bought a COD for the SP since W@W. I've played them but I wouldn't care if Blops 2 SP was a platformer. Like BF3 the hours I'll pile into these games is really in MP.

Posted on 4 May 2012 18:26:34 BDT
truly original? whats that then? haven't seen that for a very long time!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  35
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  23 Apr 2012
Latest post:  4 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions