Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

PS4 is called Orbis, launching late 2013 - report...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-116 of 116 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 20:32:20 BDT
Nick. says:
I finished it this morning. It's a fantastic game, you've heard the ending is, interesting? But it does not take away from an unbelievable game.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 20:32:32 BDT
Even though it would inevitably come back down again at some point in the near future? :P

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 22:45:16 BDT
Balli Telly says:
"'We are talking jape of the decade. We are talking April, May, June, July and August fool'

What's with the Red Dwarf quote? :P"

Yes ;) Because I was planning a big April Fools joke where the PS4 would have a 3 core Cell and 8GB RAM, with links and everything! :D And then someone beat me to it :D And that was my big reveal ;)

Bring back Norman Lovett!!! "Or is it the yellow cable? Yes, it should have been the yellow cable..." :D

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 17:15:49 BDT
Nessy says:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/04/04/sources-detail-the-playstation-4s-processing-specs -

"The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize custom chips based on AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

The HD 7670 is a rebranded version of last year's HD 6670, sporting identical specs across the board. If you recall, the HD 6670 is the same card that we reported will be used in the Xbox 720. The implication, of course, is that the two systems will effectively go toe-to-toe as far as discrete graphics are concerned.

By current standards, the HD 6670 is an entry-level processor with a price of about $74.99. Benchmark tests place framerate performance for taxing titles games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 set to high settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) with average framerates of just over 30 frames-per-second. The chip also supports HDMI1.4a output, which is necessary for the system's rumored 4k output. Naturally, a comparably lightweight operating system and console-optimized games will likely improve performance, but the PS4's real edge could come from the secondary GPU provided by the APU.

Onboard the A8-3850 is an HD 6550D, which makes the APU capable of running games at baseline specs and lower resolutions without the help of a discrete GPU. When the APU is paired with the HD 7670, however, Sony will be able to utilize an asymmetrical CrossFire configuration to share the load of realtime graphics processing.

Our sources caution that while current plans for the device make use of the the chipsets mentioned, it is possible that changes could be made prior to the system's launch.

With publishers rumored to have already begun development for the system and the system slated for a 2013 release, additional details are sure to emerge over the next few months.

UPDATE: For further clarification, the chips being used in the PlayStation 4 are based on the off-the-shelf parts detailed above and are being custom tooled for the console. Exact specs may vary."

Posted on 9 Apr 2012 17:22:06 BDT
Dela says:
Whats funny is all this speculation about the NuWii being less powerfull than the PS4/720 yet similar CPU's are reported to be used in all three consoles...

Whats more the NuWii's GPU is actually more powerfull than the reported HD6670 that is said to be inside the 720... I believe its equivilant to a HD4870?...

Nothing makes sense anymore...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 17:31:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 17:35:54 BDT
Nessy says:
A lot of people are going to be upset if these lastest PS4 hardware rumours are true, all three next gen consoles will be around the same power level.

The 'NuWii' GPU is a custom overclocked Radeon 4850, Dela.

Even the 512MB version of the 4850 beats the rumoured 720 GPU, the 6670 in hardware comparisions -

http://www.graphicscardbenchmarks.com/page/compare

Seems Sony and MS have finally worked out that losing money on every console sold for almost an entire generation isn't the way to go next gen ...

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 22:26:19 BDT
Balli Telly says:
I've been meaning to post that, it seems the most "sensible" rumour ;)

"A lot of people are going to be upset if these lastest PS4 hardware rumours are true, all three next gen consoles will be around the same power level."

How? The HD 6670 is rumoured to be used in the 720. And the PS4 is using a rebranded version of that AND another GPU (like what they did with the 360). And we don't know what RAM each console has...which is pretty important...there's no point saying "This GPU can do this...but there's not enough RAM for it to do it". The Xenos is capable of 500 million polygons a second...a completely pointless stat that was never going to be achieved. When Naughty Dog said "We've got 100% out of the Cell", they should have said "We've got 100% out of the Cell...in the PS3" (Note - I don't know if they actually did say that? ;) Just an example).

More importantly, I hope Sony copy Xbox Live...then I won't feel guilty for being the only person to not have a problem with it :D

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 00:02:23 BDT
Darren Reid says:
Google the answer FFS

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 00:18:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Apr 2012 00:22:29 BDT
Nessy says:
My point Balli, was that most gamers expected PS4 / Xbox 3 to blow the Wii U away from a hardware standpoint and if those rumoured stats are correct then it won't.

Im sure they will both have more than the 1.5 / 2 GB of Ram Wii U has tho and of course an actual HDD ;).

Regarding polygons -

"Polygon movement is essential in the creation of 3D games. Therefore,we are taking various steps to simplify polygon movement. Namely, this includes calculation of polygon display, properly shading and lighting the polygons and applying the textures. Whenever new hardware comes out, the manufacturer always talks about how many million polygons it puts out, but never mentions that when textures are applied only half that can be handled. Then when you do the lighting calculations, the number halves again. So the actual number of polygons is half of half, or about 1/10th of what they say. So if the specs say the machine can do 80-100 million polygons, that really translates to roughly 5-8
million.

Polygon-pushing power isn't enough; game machines have to be able to handle things like terrain and collision detection too. When the CPU handles these tasks, it can't do much else. With the GameCube, we've divided the tasks up as much as possible to eliminate bottlenecks. If you simply look at the documented specs for existing systems, they may seem to be the latest and greatest things at the moment, but in a year or so they'll already be outdated. On the other hand, looking at the GameCube, I think it will have a shelf life of many years. We wanted to make a piece of hardware that would free developers from worrying about technical stuff like polygons or bottlenecks."

"Some people might say; 'GameCube isn't great, just look at its CPU power.' The truth is though, for tasks such as drawing pictures or making music, GameCube doesn't use the CPU. I think the balance of the GameCube hardware will lead the industry for years to come. Existing consoles aren't capable of producing the demo's we showed at Spaceworld. In fact, I think the demo's resemble graphics created by multi-million dollar workstations."

- Famous Miyamoto quote from Spaceworld 2000.

Don't get too caught up on polygon numbers ;).

"More importantly, I hope Sony copy Xbox Live...then I won't feel guilty for being the only person to not have a problem with it :D"

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Sony will charge you to play online next gen, far too much money to be made.

A solid PSN experience combined with them getting rid of the Cell and hopefully that OS and im quite looking forward to PS4.

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 00:27:54 BDT
Dela says:
Why didn't you consult me before posting this, Ness?...

You've changed...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 00:29:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Apr 2012 00:30:10 BDT
Nessy says:
Haha !.

Hardware IS important but companies throw random numbers out to consumers to try and impress them and as Miyamoto san points out, the reality of something like polygons is far from what they boast ;).

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 22:45:00 BDT
Balli Telly says:
"Don't get too caught up on polygon numbers ;)"

That was exactly what I meant ;) When I read the specs for these GPUs...which don't say anything about polygons...I thought "They're probably less important now", as a stat anyway. How important are the number of them anymore? Character models look pretty great to me now (although, I did think that playing MGS2 :D) and the size (in area) of games must be at maximum, like BF3...and that's the console version I'm thinking about! :D All these new graphics...we didn't have that when I was a boy! :D We had GTA in 2D ;)

I think it's very much like you've said before, they will just update consoles now, so they perform better, but most people will never notice or care. I hope, soon, that we never hear the words "resolution", "framerate", "pop in" and "lag". PS1 - "We have polygons! We can make 3D games now", PS2 - "We have even more of them now, we can make more realistic 3D", PS3 - "We can do 1080p games at 60fps"-"Are you sure?"-"Yes!"-"So when you don't make games at 1080p at 60fps, are you sure people won't notice? Wouldn't it be better to be more realistic, so people won't expect more than they'll get...and then next gen it will look alot better?"-[long pause]"But we've got The Cell!" :D

"I think it's a pretty safe bet that Sony will charge you to play online next gen, far too much money to be made"

How dare they! :D

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 00:27:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2012 00:34:26 BDT
Nessy says:
"That was exactly what I meant ;) When I read the specs for these GPUs...which don't say anything about polygons...I thought "They're probably less important now", as a stat anyway. How important are the number of them anymore? Character models look pretty great to me now (although, I did think that playing MGS2 :D) and the size (in area) of games must be at maximum, like BF3...and that's the console version I'm thinking about! :D All these new graphics...we didn't have that when I was a boy! :D We had GTA in 2D ;)"

GPU's are now so complicated they are usually just measured in 'terraFLOP' power, Balli, the 360's is around '250 TFLOPS' and the rumoured GPU's for Wii U, PS4 and Xbox 3 are all around '1000 TFLOPS', so they are roughly 4 times more powerful. Your also seeing CPU's being less and less important in gaming and Ram on the GPU's coming into play a lot more.

The latest PC GPU's have 3GB's of Ram on them !!! :O.

The Wii U is *RUMOURED* to have a seperate chip for sound so that takes around 30% of the strain off the main IBM Power 7 CPU and lets it do other important work, like calculate physics ect.

I think it's great that PS4 is *RUMOURED* to be getting rid of the Cell tbh, a chip that was very powerful and ahead of it's time but cost a fortune to build and develop for and just annoyed third party developers with its complexity. Like an angry teenager, people just didn't understand it ;).

A 4 Core, 64 bit, AMD CPU will be just as, if not more powerful than the Cell, cheaper to make and developers will love it as it's very similar to what's found in modern gaming PC's.

"I think it's very much like you've said before, they will just update consoles now, so they perform better, but most people will never notice or care. I hope, soon, that we never hear the words "resolution", "framerate", "pop in" and "lag". PS1 - "We have polygons! We can make 3D games now", PS2 - "We have even more of them now, we can make more realistic 3D", PS3 - "We can do 1080p games at 60fps"-"Are you sure?"-"Yes!"-"So when you don't make games at 1080p at 60fps, are you sure people won't notice? Wouldn't it be better to be more realistic, so people won't expect more than they'll get...and then next gen it will look alot better?"-[long pause]"But we've got The Cell!" :D"

I think a lot of people will be shocked at how powerful Wii U is and how beautiful it's exclusive games will look, *IF* the leaked specs are true, it's 4 times as powerful as an Xbox 360 and we know the stunning games that system can produce, PS4 and Xbox 3 will have slightly faster CPU's, GPU's and prob and extra GB of Ram imo so you can imagine what they are going to be able to produce, not quite Avatar but still pretty amazing :).

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 08:14:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Apr 2012 09:11:43 BDT]

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 08:31:07 BDT
Dela says:
R loves the banter yo...

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 08:39:58 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Apr 2012 09:11:38 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  28 Mar 2012
Latest post:  12 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions