Crysis 3 is Official !.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-112 of 112 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:23:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2012 18:25:30 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Crysis 3 Preview (PS3)
07/06/2012

I'm certain you dont need to read this preview to be convinced that Crysis 3 is an absolutely gorgeous looking game, but let me tell you, Crytek's upcoming shooter is so much more than just a pretty face. During their E3 presentation, the development team made it clear that this third installment will serve as the question-answering finale that serves up a heavy dose of resolution by the time the game concludes.

The game's premise is simple: the CELL corporation has encased New York City in a Nanodome, and the former United States landmark has begun to transform into a rainforest filled with grasslands, canyons and swamps. Depending on which setting the player finds him/herself in, they'll encounter different foes and make use of different weapons. That said, Prophet (the game's protagonist) will be armed with his trusty bow at all times. In addition, players will be able to use alien weapons, a first time for the series.

The demo itself was taken from a level call Dambusters, which tasks the player with infiltrating and destroying a CELL dam. Crytek harped on the fact that Crysis 3 will feature sandbox gameplay, providing plenty of choice and freedom to the player. Naturally, the beginning of this level served as a perfect example, presenting the player with a wide array of possible paths to reach the dam right off the bat. In my demo session, Prophet took the stealthy route, slowly and methodically picking off his adversaries with the bow. When his cover was eventually blown, a more forthcoming approach was required, which put some of our hero's alternate ammunition to good use. Explosive arrows are particularly effective, as tagging a foe with this lethal projectile will blast him and anyone nearby to bits.

Not long after, Prophet stumbled upon the X-PAC, an alien grenade launcher that packs one heck of a punch. Needless to say, a bevy of explosions followed, showcasing Cry Engine 3's gorgeous visual capabilities. The billowing smoke and outstanding particle effects were a marvel to behold. Upon entering the dam, a new hacking mechanic was shown off, which in this instance, allowed the player to reprogram an enemy turret to attack members of CELL.

Before triggering the destruction of the dam, the demonstrator showed off one final application of the bow, plunging and electrified arrow into the water below, shocking a couple of unsuspecting enemies to death. Finally the time came to bring down the massive water barrier, which resulted in a cinematic destruction scene that puts the bulk of Call of Duty's high octane moments to shame. First-person shooter fans dying for a gorgeous, jaw-dropping experience better clear their schedules this coming February.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 18:26:48 BDT
Nessy says:
Just posted these in the PC thread, looks to be more of a return to the originals jungles -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/352810/gorgeous-new-crysis-3-screenshots/

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:31:07 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Wow! Looks amazing..

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 09:08:46 BDT
Bunga says:
If you didn't see the last part of EA's conference at E3, it has about 5 minutes of Crysis 3 gameplay, looked pretty awesome.

You can find it on gametrailers.com, afraid I can't link from work though.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 09:10:27 BDT
Dela says:
Winner...

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 09:41:03 BDT
Trigger says:
I really hope this is as good as the first game. Logically I'm not sure how New York could ever becomes a mixture of rainforest, swampland, artificial dams and so on, but hopefully it will allow for some diverse environments. Did Crysis 2 ever really explain who CELL were? Are they trying to take over the world or something? I know they designed the Nanosuits, but are they a government agency or something?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 09:46:43 BDT
Bunga says:
@Trig

Crytek are saying that the biodome things placed in and around New York have accelerated the plant growth and so on.

Crysis 2 did not explain CELL as far as I am aware, just that they were always trying to shoot you and consequently "bad". I think they are a government agency as far as I recall.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 12:04:16 BDT
Trigger says:
Crytek are officially making the transition to become a fully free-to-play studio. No idea what this means for SP games like Crysis though; would they charge in incremental amounts or something, or just abandon SP entirely in favour of multiplayer games?

"Cevat Yerli explains the company's ongoing transition into an entirely free-to-play studio

Crytek
www.crytek.com
Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli is steering the company towards the development of free-to-play online games over concerns that the industry's current retail model is "milking" consumers.

Speaking to Videogamer at E3, Yerli explained that Crytek will be an exclusively free-to-play studio as soon as it has honoured its existing contracts.

"If you look at what kind of games are done in the packaged goods market, with DLCs and premium services and whatnot, it's literally milking the customers to death," he said.

"As we were developing console games we knew, very clearly, that the future is online and free-to-play. Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience."

In future, all of Crytek's games, projects and technologies will be built around free-to-play and supported by its social platform GFACE. However, Yerli stressed that the new business model would not alter Crytek's games in any way.

"As is evident in Warface, our approach is to ensure the best quality, console game quality. That implies budgets of between $10m to $30m - so no compromise there - but at the price-point of $0 entry. I think this is a new breed of games that has to happen to change the landscape, and be the most user-friendly business model."

Crytek's first free-to-play game, Warface, is in development at its Kiev studio. It will be released in Western markets some time this year."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-08-crytek-premium-pricing-and-dlc-is-milking-customers-to-death

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 12:25:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 12:32:02 BDT
Solar Fox says:
So 'Warface' will be a free to play, download only game, released sometime this year.

Wouldn't that mean if they do Crysis 4 next gen, it will be download only?

Warface is a PC game I assume?

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 12:25:47 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Jun 2012 12:27:42 BDT]

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 12:45:56 BDT
Icaruschips says:
Warface doesn't look too shabby. Signed up for the closed beta yesteraday, which also lets you 'book' your user name so no one else will be able to use it.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 14:03:42 BDT
Bunga says:
Warface - Crytek's attempt to get the Koreans off Starcraft lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  16 Apr 2012
Latest post:  8 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions