Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Off Topic - good TV shows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 826-850 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Apr 2012 20:40:38 BDT
G. Hanks says:
"Just starting on Dexter season 6."

There's a Dexter Season 6? Time I starting watching season 5. Loved the first 4 seasons, great series.

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 15:51:10 BDT
Archer is the funniest animated show on tv. Check it out

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 15:55:37 BDT
I've been watching Archer since the start, brilliant show and really funny!!!
Season 1 and 2 are on DVD now. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 16:03:09 BDT
I felt season Dexter Season 6 was probably the worst season of Dexter as there was a lot of plot holes.
I still enjoyed it and I enjoyed Season 5 as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 11:26:39 BDT
Max says:
RAB - thanks for the Treasure Island opinion. Is something I might watch next.

DaveNinja - after your comment on Blue Bloods I went ahead and got it. Thoroughly enjoying it. Is by no means stellar, but has a good cast, well paced episodes. Tom Selleck's moustache is epic and Donnie Wahlburg is also solid. Thanks. If people are considering it, it's worth the plunge, not on a par with other police series, but it's a different take on the tried and tested American cop shows.

Archer is also very good. Is very easy watching, short episodes. Is puerile and immature, but nonetheless enjoyable as a comedic reprieve from more serious drama shows. Looking forward to season 2 hitting dvd.

Never finished Season 2 of Dexter. I did enjoy it, but some episodes were long and slow and when watched intermittently, I would rather watch something else, so gave up.

Posted on 30 Apr 2012 11:49:36 BDT
Glad you enjoyed it Max. It's as you say there are better options out there but it's worth a watch. Midway through season 2 and it's still an enjoyable show to watch with the missus.

Anyone seen Breakout Kings? The missus has been recording it on Sky and we are due to start watching it.

Posted on 1 May 2012 19:57:38 BDT
Conversely I'm getting really annoyed at how rubbish 30 Rock has become

Posted on 21 May 2012 01:08:37 BDT
Just seem that Earth 2 is getting a DVD release and is out on 28th May.
I remember watching this on Sky in the 90's, wasn't a bad show it was just overshadowed by other Sci-fi shows like Star Trek: DS9.
Earth 2 - The Complete Series [DVD]

Also i've seen that Space: Above and Beyond finally has a Region 2 release!!
This has made me very happy, one of the best tv series that only got one season and was from the creators of the X-files!!!! :D

Space - Above and Beyond - Collector's Edition [DVD] (Includes Pilot Episode)

Posted on 21 May 2012 06:54:29 BDT
Stew don't do it mate. I tried re-watching it about a year ago. It hasn't aged well :-(

Finished S2 of Boardwalk Empire, possibly the best thing on tv at the minute.

Posted on 22 May 2012 01:03:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 06:44:25 BDT
"Finished S2 of Boardwalk Empire, possibly the best thing on tv at the minute"

Breaking Bad says hello. Sons Of Anarchy says STFU lol
Loved season 1 of Breaking Bad which I recently finished. A bit too realism-based to ever be my favourite show, but certainly a brilliant drama
#acidbathremains

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 01:31:30 BDT
Dave i've got Space: Above and Beyond on Region 1 DVD and it's still great. Maybe the nostalgia helps, but it's one of the best Sci-fi series i've ever seen. Farscape is still the best though!! :D

Only seen S1 of Boardwalk Empire and thought it was great, SOA is the best American show around atm though. I think I love it more than the Sopranos!! :O

Watchin S2 of Walking Dead on Five, (Yes i'm poor and don't have Sky :P) great stuff!!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 10:24:57 BDT
Paul Breaking Bad is superb and it's certainly one of the best shows in recent years.

SoA, isn't. I enjoyed the first season, but it's just kinda went down hill for me. Hope the next season is the last or at least ties up the story line that came to a head in the season finale or I may just stop watching it.

Stew I'm glad you still enjoy it. For me it was one of the biggest disappointments going back to.

Posted on 22 May 2012 10:57:32 BDT
AndyBSG says:
Noticed that most of the shows currently showing on Sky all end this week but i've not seen any adverts for what is replacing them.

Anyone know what new stuff is coming out?

Only thing i've really seen advertised is that new Sinbad series that Sky have made but I know that pretty much all of Sky's current Sunday night line up finishes this week.

Posted on 22 May 2012 11:17:19 BDT
Aren't they starting Smash? I've not watched proper tv in so long... I'm sure there are multiple tv shows overlooked which Sky could use to fill their schedules. Eureka is on its final season in the states if they haven't shown that yet...or is that on syfy? I was watching previews for all the new tv shows during the week for the different networks and there's some really promising stuff. Another flipping JJ Abrams show which looks like a cross between Lost, Jericho and recent Spielberg show about dinosaurs where every form of power just stops all over the world. High production values but thin premise. I mean, batteries don't just stop working that's impossible unless they're depleted of course.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 12:00:42 BDT
The final episode of Game of Thrones was brilliant. Made up for the lack lustre season.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 10:58:07 BDT
AndyBSG says:
Anyone planning on watching that new Sinbad TV show on Sky on Sunday?

Not too sure what to make of it myself from the trailers. The idea of a big budget Sinbad series is good but from the trailer the main actor just seems a little too cheesy and not sure how beleivable he'll be.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 15:34:13 GMT
Trigger says:
So, anyone watching any good TV series at the moment? I've been watching series four of Misfits which is good, although not as memorable as the first two series. I need to get back and watch more Breaking Bad (which was good but very bleak), and I lost the trail with Dexter but intend to go back to it at some time.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 15:41:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2012 15:42:08 GMT
Crixus says:
I've finished breaking bad, which is up there as one of the best, and am currently watching Dexter, the Walking dead and Homeland, Dexter being my favourite. I have also gone back to the mentalist as I watched it a few years ago and liked it but just never got round to season 4, so I have a whole season and three quarters to catch up on. Much prefer when I have a whole season to watch than having to wait for weekly episodes!

But seriously, you need to get back to dexter, not sure exactly what number the new season currently on is but the one just before this one was a really good season.

edit - funny how the word season has started being used more in this country now as oppose to series, do it without realising

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2012 15:50:40 GMT
RAB says:
The only thing I'm watching on telly at the moment apart from the football is series three of Boardwalk Empire. Been great stuff, I wondered where they'd take it after the end of the second series, but the new characters they've introduced have been great although Van Aalden's story's been a bit WTF as I forgot what happened to him towards the end of the last series. Van Aalden's alway's been a bit of a WTF character though.

Couple months ago I was watching the Borgias, great series, better than the first, I'm not sure they'll be able to carry on with a third though. There was also the Newsroom, which was good in a sort of pretentious American sort of way. Looking forward to the second series though.

There's been a few shows I've been interested in like Falcon and Romanzo Criminale but always forget to watch. Stuff like Walking Dead, Dexter, and Breaking Bad has completely passed me by though as I mainly spend my evenings gaming.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 15:53:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Nov 2012 15:56:21 GMT
AndyBSG says:
That was one hell of a necro and the last post was by myself about Sinbad... My thoughts on it weren't too far off either, it did prove to be cheesy rubbish!

The only thing I'm currently watching is Arrow and have to say that i'm enjoying it so far, although the guy playing Green Arrow is a bit wooden. Not going to hold that against him because Tom Welling was the same when Smallville first started but soon grew into the role.

Has anyone been watching that 'Revolution' by JJ Abrams? I had my eye on it but only realised it was already airing and almost at the end of the series the other day so just wondering if it's worth trying to catch up on.

The new Kevin Bacon show coming to Sky, The Following, looks like it might be OK as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2012 16:16:53 GMT
Trigger says:
I say series for UK programmes (which tend to run for about 6 episodes) and seasons for US programmes (which tend to be 13 or 24 episodes and thus go across one or more annual seasons). In my experience around 13 episodes is best for a programme - I find 6 episodes a bit too short, and 24 much too long, and usually filled with padding.

@ Andy - I was going to watch Arrow, but everyone on the Eurogamer forum has been slating it. Worth watching then? I enjoyed Smallville to an extent even though it was fairly naff at times, but don't know a lot about this or the character generally. Is Green Arrow a more 'realistic' superhero rather than fantastical, a la Batman?

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 16:23:24 GMT
Crixus says:
24 was perfect for 24 though ;)

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 16:27:51 GMT
Trigger says:
24 was good, and a very clever idea, but I think the series would have actually worked better being briefer and again, with less filler. But then, I don't suppose '12' has quite the marketing ring to it that '24' does.

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 16:54:19 GMT
AndyBSG says:
"I was going to watch Arrow, but everyone on the Eurogamer forum has been slating it. Worth watching then?"

I would say he's much more realistic.

He's not even referred to as Arrow or Green Arrow at all and just called vigilante or hooded vigilante, he's certainly not seen as much of a hero at the moment mainly becuase of the trail of bodies he leaves.

*** Minor Spoilers - Not given away plot detail, just summarising the 'set up' of the series ***

The whole series revolves around him and his father being in a boat wreck and him stranded on an island presumed dead. He returns to Starling City after being castaway for a few years and instead of being the spoilt, party loving play boy he was he comes back intending to right the wrongs done by his family after his father revealed them to him on his death bed and gave him a journal showing all the shady people in Starling City he dealt with.

The wrongs are never revealed in detail but Arrow basically goes after all the people on the list, one per episode, and they're all tied up in different crimes from extortion, kidnapping, etc so I expect more of that will be unveiled as the series progresses. One thing I did like is there's a couple of places you can see the names on the list and if you google them you find they're some little known, or sometimes even well known, DC characters and villains.

There's been very few cheesy trick arrows and he mainly just shoots people with normal arrows, usually fatally(there has been one or two so far such as one that released some gas and another that had a recording device in but that's about it). The fight scenes are pretty good and although none of the action has been as spectacular as a Hollywood movie or Smallville's super powered dust ups it has been quite gritty and well coreographed.

I'm an episode or two behind but the overall arc is slowly starting to unfold with a couple of surprises.

As I said, it's a little 'lite' and one dimensional in places but I remember the first season of Smallville being the same and think this has a lot of promise and more believable

Posted on 20 Nov 2012 18:48:57 GMT
Tim says:
Anyone watching Hatfields & McCoys? (didn't have time to read other posts so sorry if its been mentioned). Stars Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, epic western mini series!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  131
Total posts:  1236
Initial post:  5 Nov 2009
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions