Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Boxing and Ufc Discussion Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 776-800 of 929 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 May 2014 23:26:13 BDT
Pretty much exactly two years ago, on the last Saturday in May just like tonight, I walked into the Capital FM Arena in Nottingham with a great buzz inside that being present at a big fight card always brings but feeling that Carl Froch's days at the very top were behind him. That Andre Ward has yanked away from him psychologically every bit as much as the wars with Pascal, Taylor and Kessler had taken out of him physically. That the classy and unbeaten Lucian Bute would hammer the final proverbial nail in the proverbial coffin of a top UK fighter's career. That warm night in May 2012, Carl Froch made me realise that I didn't know either his career or the sport of boxing anything like I thought I did. Ya didn't learn yer lesson did ya Liq!
I could venture the opinion that Groves did not impose himself early in the fight as he should have. Maybe suggest that George has tonight shown worrying touches of boxers of the past who had all the talent in the world but whose susceptibility to uncontrollable mood swings prevented them from fulfilling anything like their in-ring potential: Max & Buddy Baer, Leon Spinks, Hector Camacho, Kirkland Laing, Ras-I Bramble, Pat Barrett, Howard Eastman... the list is too long to mention and I really hope that George Groves doesn't wind up on that same page of boxing history. Bottom line is this night, just like the last Saturday in May 2012 when he annihilated Bute and the last Saturday of May 2013 when he gained revenge on Mikkel Kessler, belongs to Carl Froch. A truly great ring warrior and a genuine credit to the sport of boxing and all who revere it.

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 10:08:54 BDT
WOW..

Watched some of the fights over the weekend live.

Joshua vs Legg - WOW.. The guy is a tank, will go far tbh, absolute monster, and needs a decent opponent otherwise he'll never go 12 rounds. All his fights have been stopped inside 2 rounds. (5 or 6).

Degale vs the American fella - Not a huge fan of Degale, doesn't seem too skilled, just very quick. Wasn't paying huge attention to the fight (was eating an indian at the time, food I mean, this is not a sexual innuendo), seemed it was not going the distance from what I seen, but go on him, another British win.

Michell vs Maddumia (Spelling) - Thought Michell was on the back foot for most of the fight, and needed a knockout for a win, again, wasn't paying 100% attention, but fair play, was a good couple of shots and another British Win.

Then the biggy:

Watched this with a very keen eye.
Had Froch up 5 rounds to 2. Groves was a lot quicker than I remembered in the first fight, but seemed very wild and not anything of power to trouble Froch too much. Good couple of shots, some which semi-rocked each other, but I put money on Froch to win on points.

Then BOOM! 8th Round, 2 minutes in (2:34??) and down goes Groves, right hand of Froch. Was out before he knew where he was, leg was mangled!

Both very decent after the fight, Froch rubbing it in at the after match interview I thought too much, but what a guy Groves was in defeat.

Froch is chin is got to be one of the best in the business, I watched a couple of his fights when I got home, and Kessler for one would of knocked most people out with some of the shots, but he takes them all..

Groves is young enough to build himself back into contention for another title-shot in a few years, and don't think these 2 defeats will be too much of a burden on his future career...

Was not the best fights ive seen, but was a good ending :D

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 12:38:55 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Very good night of fights. Still disgusted about the PPV though, even more that they chucked frequent adverts in between the rounds. Greedy bunch of scumbags.

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 13:06:38 BDT
Mr. J. Burns says:
Hanks, completely agree about your PPV comment - I hate when they put adverts on a PPV event between rounds. I don't want to pay to watch adverts, I'm paying for coverage! Thankfully I was in the pub watching it so the money didn't go directly from my pocket.

Posted on 4 Jun 2014 17:04:02 BDT
Carl Frampton has his well earned world title shot. IBF champ Kiko Martinez will make the trip to Belfast for a September 6th showdown with 'The Jackyl'. If Carl can repeat his February 2013 victory over Kiko, I would like to think that a unification match with Leo Santa Cruz could be made for early 2015.

Gennady Golovkin vs Daniel Geale is all set for Madison Square Garden on July 26th (another of my 2014 wishlist fights ticked off) and will follow hot on the heels of the Fury/Chisora card in Manchester. Another bumper night for us fight fans.
The winner of GGG/Geale may be set for a unification bout against the winner of this Saturday's Martinez/Cotto clash, also at MSG. Not an easy fight to call as both fighters are undoubtedly past their absolute respective peaks, but I think Cotto has that little bit more left in the tank and with the New York Puerto Rican community out in force to roar him on, 'Junito' will secure a late stoppage victory to become a three weight world champion.

Posted on 10 Jun 2014 00:16:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jun 2014 00:19:49 BDT
Have to give credit to Martinez for coming back from the three first round knockdowns and taking the fight to the end of the tenth. Heart of a true champion. Credit to his corner also. Sergio was a mile behind on points and there was clearly no way he could win. There was no point in letting him take any more. As for the new champ, well he really rolled back the years and I am now salivating at the prospect of Cotto vs Golovkin. I can see no major political obstacles to making that fight happen and Miguel showed more than enough on Saturday to suggest that he has plenty left in the tank and could use his vast experience to give GGG his toughest test by far, notwithstanding the qualities that Daniel Geale will bring next month.

Must give a mention to Andy Lee. For four and a half rounds it looked as though his decision to drop down to light-middleweight was a major mistake. He was shipping serious punishment and looked decidedly weak at 154. The right hand that Andy found to put John Jackson's lights out was a one punch turnaround not too dissimilar to John's father Julian's KO of Herol Graham back in 1990. If Brian Rose can upset Demetrius Andrade this weekend then an Anglo-Irish dust up may be on the cards. Andy is not tied to any UK promoter as things stand, and although the strained relationship between 'Exclusivity' and Adam Booth may be a stumbling block, I'm sure they could put that aside for what would be good business on both sides. Whether Rose can overcome the stumbling block of the largely underrated Andrade is another matter of course.

Nominal stars of the weekend award goes to Paul Butler and Stuart Hall. Another great testimony to just how strong the sport of boxing is on these shores right now, in terms of the quality of in-ring talent. I agreed with Dave Parris's 115-113 scoring for Butler but would not have complained had the verdict gone the other way. Would love to see them do it again.

Posted on 15 Jun 2014 13:57:11 BDT
It was some 122 years ago, only about a quarter of a century after the Queensbury Rules were implemented on the sport of boxing, that Gentleman Jim Corbett laid down what has since been viewed as the blueprint in applying an intelligent and scientific gameplan to overcome the fearsome brute strength of a marauding rampant KO merchant which long time heavyweight champ John L Sullivan certainly was. Last night, the previously little known and largely unheralded Chris Algieri invoked the spirit of Gentleman Jim, showing superb composure, resolve and self belief in rising from two first round knockdowns and delivering a show of exemplary ringcraft that had this ageing fan of the old noble art purring like a kitten. The fact that Algieri was able to tame a fighter of Provodnikov's intensity with his right eye completely swollen shut for most of the contest is testimony to the fact that the new WBO light-welterweight ruler has not only the skills of a champion, but the heart of one also. Of course, greatness cannot be determined by one fight, and it will be interesting to see how Algieri would deal with a fellow skilled technician like a Garcia or a Broner if such fights could be made. But what is certain is that if the boxing world didn't know who Chris Algieri was prior to last night, it certainly does now.

I think we all knew deep down that Andrade would be too big a step up in class for Brian Rose, and so it proved. I don't think we really learned a great deal in terms of how well Demetrius's skills would measure up against the likes of Alvarez, Lara and Cotto but his natural talent is there for all to see and, with the right gameplan, I would suggest he could certainly ask serious questions of anybody in the light-middle or middleweight ranks.

Posted on 26 Jun 2014 14:44:14 BDT
Looks as though Kell Brook's world title shot has been thrown into doubt yet again as Golden Boy's official press release for the August 9th card at Brooklyn's Barclays Centre, at which the contest had been assumed to be taking place, makes absolutely no mention of it. 'Exclusivity' is pinning the blame firmly on to Porter's camp, claiming that the champion has failed to return his signed bout agreement to the IBF. Porter's most recent statement came on Monday night, stating that he would be signing on Tuesday. However, as Tuesday came and went with no further developments, Brook may well be getting a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach that something is afoot and that he and Eddie are not going to like the outcome. Could Porter be holding out over the possibility of landing the September date with Mayweather? Things have gone pretty quiet on that front in the last couple of weeks. With July fast approaching, it should not be much longer before Kell's immediate future is settled one way or another.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2014 15:13:58 BDT
Bozz says:
Apparently they have until Sept 9th to fight. Theres talk that Goldenboy wantit on the Mayweather undercard as he is due out again in Sept and also talk that Porter is in line to fight Mayweather.

If Porter doesn't fight Kell by Sept 9th he has to vacate and Kell fights next in line for the vacant title, probably Dan Ion

Posted on 27 Jun 2014 12:08:44 BDT
The IBF have provisionally announced a new date of Sept 6th. That from the governing body's Chairman Lindsey Tucker, so presumably Porter's paperwork must now be complete. Kell needs the major American exposure if his career is to really take off. A good display against Porter, even if he loses, will be far more beneficial to him than beating Ion who twice ran Selcuk Aydin close - the only two defeats on his record - but is far from being the 'name' in the business that Porter is.

Posted on 27 Jun 2014 23:11:53 BDT
Well I'm sure we'd all love to discuss tonight's Glasgow main event, but due to Sky's woeful ineptitude we missed about half of it! Eddie won't be happy when he finds out. He'll be threatening to go 'exclusivity' with Channel 5

Posted on 30 Jun 2014 16:56:51 BDT
Blastronaut says:
I'd pick Brook to win... if it was over here. Tho it pains me to say it, over there he'd have to win by a fair margin to get a decision or stop Porter, neither of which I can see happening.

Posted on 8 Jul 2014 16:54:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2014 17:02:41 BDT
Well Christopher Rebrasse's 22-2-3 record does not contain any results which would suggest that he poses much of an obstacle to George Groves' road back into world title contention, but I think I said something similar about Dejan Zlaticanin so nobody should take my word for it. Groves v Rebrasse has been announced as a final eliminator for the WBC title, which I expect Anthony Dirrell to hold by the time the Wembley Arena bill comes around on September 20th. Dirrell gets his well deserved rematch with Sakio Bika in Carson, CA on August 16th, having been robbed blind in their first fight back in December.
Will be interesting to see whether Sky or BoxNation secure the rights to the Groves/Rebrasse card. Warren's channel has a good relationship with the Sauerlands, having covered many of their bills from Germany over the past couple of years, but Sky know that public interest in George will still be high in the wake of the two Froch fights and will be anxious to keep him on their network. The key issue may be whether Sky's agreement with Matchroom allows them to cover UK boxing shows not promoted by Eddie's company? I have a feeling the exclusivity clause works both ways but it would almost certainly be in both party's interests to try and reach some sort of workaround.

Posted on 16 Jul 2014 21:55:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2014 22:08:33 BDT
If anyone else is watching the York Hall card right now, I imagine those aged 30 and over will be thinking you've seen all this before as regards the antics of one Romeo Romaeo. Can't see the Shakespeare based intro getting over with most boxing fans and I reckon there's more of Philip Ridley's Cougar Glass about this Romeo than any of The Bard's creations, but 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' is a great pick for novel entrance music. I'm not sure how far Romaeo's talent will take him but I'm pretty sure the in-ring action will never be dull when he's involved and there's a lot to be said for that alone.

Posted on 26 Jul 2014 11:13:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jul 2014 11:15:31 BDT
Blastronaut says:
See Fury's bailed too now. Bet Frankie W's doing his nut!

Anyone see that Conlan bout yesterday in the Commonwealth Games? Should head-guards still be used by amateurs? Used to hate the things meself, but not sure how I stand on this after watching that. If the cut had been a tad lower down and over the eye, that woulda meant the (possible) gold medallist losing his chance at the first asking... and in a fight he was well in control of.
Not to mention the ostrich-egg-sized lump on the other fella's head!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 19:39:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jul 2014 19:48:29 BDT
Tyson's Uncle Hughie is seriously ill in hospital. Apparently, what should have been a routine operation went badly wrong. The travelling community are very big on family and there should be no controversy over Tyson's withdrawal. Sadly, and all too predictably however, the cynics are having a field day with it. Some of the stuff flying around on so called social media is nothing short of disgraceful.

Still plenty to enjoy on this Manchester card though. Unlike the recent Matchroom bill in Liverpool (Bellew, Cleverley etc) most of tonight's fayre are genuinely competitive matchups, case in point the opening match of the televised part of the bill. Such a pity that Heffron had to be pulled out due to a bad cut but credit to Liam Williams. He looks very much like one to watch.

Couple of good fights to look forward to in the wee small hours as well (Sky Sports 1 from 1.30am). I really think Geale will give Golovkin his toughest test to date in the main event and the chief support sees what I believe is the first live TV exposure in the UK for Bryant Jennings, who in a year or two could well be the man to dethrone Wladimir.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2014 23:13:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jul 2014 11:10:34 BDT
Just watched all this evening's Commonwealth Games bouts on the red button Blastro. The first chance I've had to take in any of said tournament. The traditionalist in me likes the banishing of the headguards but your point about facial injuries is a good one. Scottish heavyweight Stephen Lavelle just came through his contest but suffered a nasty cut in the process which may be a factor in the next round. The change from computer scoring back to 10 point must judging will not, imo, eradicate judging controversy to any significant extent. If anything it may make it worse but only time will tell.
New Zealand appear to have sent a highly promising looking team to Glasgow. Light-heavy David Nyika, impressively victorious over home crowd favourite Scott Forrest, has a real touch of the Ingle stable about him. Ideal for the current format of the amateur game. Heavyweight David Light's KO of Malaysia's Mohammed Omar was every bit as spectacular as anything you'll see in the pro ranks.

Who the hell is gonna stop Golovkin? There is nobody currently plying their trade in the middleweight division who could get near him. Alvarez may give him a good argument should he choose to move up but even a teak-tough Mexican like him would struggle to deal with GGG's all round strengths. Golovkin will move up to 168 eventually but I think both Froch and Kessler will be off the scene by the time he does. The intriguing matchup would be Golovkin versus Andre Ward. How would GGG deal with a ring craftsman of that skillset? There are no political obstacles in the way of it happening as things stand and, more importantly, the two of them may well need each other in equal measure.

Posted on 29 Jul 2014 03:43:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2014 03:55:30 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Yeah Liq, gotta agree with ya re the scoring. Watched a fight between a Welsh dude (Mcgoldrick?) and an Aussie (Woods?) earlier today, well yesterday really, and I coulda swore the commentators were watching a different fight; either that or it was plain home-nations-bias.
I had (as did 2/3 judges) the Aussie winning the first round, but when the scores came up in favour of Woods, old watzisname - not Richie Woodhall, but the other dude - was well p***ed, saying summat like "what fight are they watching?"
In the second round, which imo coulda gone either way, both (Jim Mc-something - see, I almost remembered) AND Woodhall were banging on about the Welsh lad having a huge round. At one point the Welsh fella had his head rocked back by an uppercut, and Jim Mc-something (is it McNealy?) said "Woods there not a million miles away with that uppercut".

Anyhows, when all was said n done, Mcgoldrick won a split decision. I had the Aussie winning a very close fight, keeping on the move and not letting his stronger opponent pin him down for any length of time, thus negating most of Mcgoldrick's best work. Chap from Wales landed the harder shots, but not enough of em, nor anywhers near as many as Woods did, for my liking.
Guess it was me that was watching a different contest!?

No doubting the bias commentary tho; terribly unproffesional.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2014 12:36:21 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Er... the commentator I was banging on about in the early hours of this morning is Jim Neilly; haven't a bloody clue where I got the 'Mc-' part from! Away with the fairies!!

Reckon by now Liq, ya know to take my late-night/early-morning musings with a piece of salt as I'm usually a bit battered at such times and in some cases lucky to even be able to see the screen! : )

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2014 14:14:06 BDT
:-)
I don't mind old Jim but he doesn't hold a candle to the legend that is the late Harry Carpenter. Must admit, I do enjoy Richie Woodhall's summarising though. Ok, he's not the most charismatic of ex fighters by a long chalk, but he does provide a lot of interesting insight.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2014 18:30:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2014 18:56:38 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Ha ha, yeah when old Richie fell from the charisma tree, somebody musta pruned it cos he missed every branch!
Having said that, it's better to get analysis from someone who knows their stuff than, say, Floyd Weatherton...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1H0yAcHP_4

Posted on 1 Aug 2014 03:46:51 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Been combing the net trying to find the CG men & women boxing semi-final fixtures and/or results, but no joy. Anyone able to point me in right direction?

Posted on 5 Aug 2014 04:14:55 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Seems Gavin blew it t'other day. Anyone see it? Was the decision a fair one?

Posted on 5 Aug 2014 04:14:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Aug 2014 04:15:17 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2014 09:22:17 BDT
Bozz says:
Didnt watch it but saw a chunk of the highlights. Was a close fight but the right decision was made I think.

Gavin has some tough choices to make now. Personally I think he should move down to light welter, he easily has 7lbs he can shift as he always looks to be carring excess weight. A lot of people were talking of him been a future world champ and being Britains best Welter. That bubble was well and truly burst on Friday.

Its only a week on Saturday till Kell shocks the world too!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  929
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions