Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Building a gaming PC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 95 posts in this discussion
Posted on 1 Dec 2012 02:57:22 GMT
Blue boy says:
Yep, GTX 570 for £160, postage not included. Check out dino pc, the link I posted. Can't say for sure if they have them in stock but otherwise its the best price i've found.
http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Graphics-cards-c82.htm?pageStyle=l&ProdSort=3&page=1&idCategory=82&SFID=&SFNAME=&SFVID=&SFVALUE=&SFCount=-1

My rig:
i5 3570k
8GB 1600GHz
GTX 570.
Running bf3 at 1920x1080 averaging 45fps. No, its not quite 60fps and i'm considering getting a GTX 680 in the January sales.

To OP, seriously recommend you have a look at http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/custom.asp
Saved me a lot of time and money

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 13:18:03 GMT
Been doin a bit of digging around spotted a bundle on a website and was wondering about the motherboard?

It's a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H. Is this a good choice to pair with an i5 3570k processor.

Or are there any other sub £100 mobo's you'd recommend

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 13:20:14 GMT
The full bundle is on scans today only webpage

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 18:04:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2012 18:28:58 GMT
Blue boy says:
Not 100% sure on this - i'm no expert but..

Its socket is L1155, meaning it should pair absolutely fine with the i5 3570k. I'd get someone elses opinion before you go for it though.

Another thing i've noticed, it has one PCI express x16 slot running at x16 (theres another at x4). This means that if you decide to go with SLI/crossfire then you're going to have to upgrade your motherboard. Of course, if you have just one graphics card and intend to only use one for a while then this isn't a problem at all. I think the way this works is the x4 slot isn't fast enough and your second graphics card would get bottlenecked.

Theres this http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Asus-P8Z77-V-83p1298.htm which does have two slots at x16 meaning you can run with SLI.

Sorry for the wall of text, hope you find this helpful

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 18:52:29 GMT
Tim says:
Yes John it's fine, I have a UD3H with a 2500k. Just depends on your price range and motherboard features you want whether to choose this bundle as they're definitely compatible.

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 20:13:37 GMT
Cheers guys never knew that about SLI. Will keep that in mind.

Humph, how does bf3 compare the console version?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 20:21:04 GMT
Blue boy says:
I've got bf3 on both ps3 and pc. So long as your pc can run it, i'd say the pc is better any day. You can get up to 64players in a game compared to the console's 24. The graphics are a fair bit better. It feels smoother to play. It just depends if you're willing to pay a fair bit for a rig that can do it justice.

If you're unsure, maybe wait until the January sales and see what prices drop.

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 20:28:45 GMT
Are PC components significantly cheaper in the Jan sales? I'm eager to build my own rig.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 20:36:49 GMT
Blue boy says:
Prices are always going down as new things come out. I bought my rig back in July, it would be about £150 cheaper to build now. If you have the money to build a rig now though, and if its definetly what you want, then go for it.

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 20:39:33 GMT
Blue boy says:
If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget for this?

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 20:45:32 GMT
Tim says:
The difference is like night and day for me personally.

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 21:09:56 GMT
My budget is 800 - 900. I've been wanting a gaming PC for a while now, but I have no idea where to start. I might just do the smart thing and hold out for the Jan sales

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 21:12:44 GMT
Blue boy says:
Thats a good idea - and 800-900 should be enough to get you something that can run pretty much anything on max. I'd start by checking out http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/custom.asp
Even if you don't buy from there, its a good site to play around with parts and compare them.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 21:20:22 GMT
Thats a good budget noodle.
Start with desired GPU and work your way from there. And also keep in mind whether you would be happy with 1 GPU going forward or whether you would want to double up with SLI/Crossfire and pick your MB accordingly.
Like Blue Boy stated, with £900 you should be able to play all games at max settings bar one or two.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 09:49:06 GMT
Hackerdude says:
I see some of the console peasents had a joint gang bang in this forum again last night. If your budgets around 900 you sould get a near top end PC. if you know a fair bit about PC's I'd avoid all websites and buy the componants and build yourself as you'l save a lot of money. if not, I'd still buy yourself all the required componants but take them to a local PC shop. Most will do a full build for no more than 30 quid. Warrantys not an issue as all your parts will more than likely come with a 3-5 year one as standard.

PC vs Console Comparisons. I'd say in the current climate its like comparing the early PS2 games to the latest PS3 graphics, serious thats how far ahead they are. Its embarrasing. I used to love my console so much but they are simply put, way out of date. Forgetting graphics for a min, most games even play different as games use Direct X 11 features and improved AI that are only available to PC.

Gaming aside, then its simply a PC, which you can do all your other tasks on.

Recently, gaming clouds such as Steam have launched a new service called 'The Big Screen' which highlights all controller enabled PC game (Nowadays most are). To me there now capitalising on the amount of people that are fed up of shoddy low res games the XBOX/PS are pumping out.

I'd like to add I love consoles but atm its a disgrace how far beind they are. I'll be picking up the new Xbox undoubtedly but if it doesnt produce the goods I'll be back to PC.

End rant..

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 09:59:45 GMT
WRT Steam Big Screen. Do you think that there will be a way for Windows to boot up in Steam Big Screen mode akin to Windows Media centre was on Vista? That would be awesome, save having to wait for the usual windows crud to load before booting up steam then booting up a game.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:05:06 GMT
@ Hacker

I'd be wary about the improved AI claims, but even visuals aside, being able to get fluid framerates on the latest games instead of a terrible 30fps seems like a world of difference.

Plus you get RTS games. Spent 4 hours on Shogun 2 yesterday and it's a couple of years old!

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:08:47 GMT
Hackerdude says:
I doubt it mate, tbh if there even was a way I could see so many problems as the PC needs to load everything before you do another task. If you have a SSD though you'l be ready to go in about 10 secs 'or less' anyway. I'm not too fussed though as even with my normal HDD it loads in around 20 secs anyway so I dont really see the need to spend 70 quid to save 10 secs.

I do think that until the new consoles are announced that PC games/Steam/Origin and the likes are going to capitalise on the influx of people fed up of the current gen. Fingers crossed for alot more controller friendly ports and (Wishes) split screen mode.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 10:13:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 10:13:56 GMT
Hackerdude says:
Don't get me wrong Mozz I love RTS games, I still play SWTOR, AoE (ALOT) and the likes but do like nothing more than to hold a control and have a beer on the go sat on my settee.

Agree about the AI, its not night and day, but its there. I used to game on 360 and have had alot of games on the 360 that i now own on the PC eg Crysis and Crysis 2, BF3 etc and as there is more processing power the AI is able to make more calculations per sec and therefore reacts quicker. Some games, eg Crysis use this extra power to add more command prompts to make the AI more realistic. I had a geek week a while back and read it online.

Who am I kidding, thats my life.....

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 10:17:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 10:19:05 GMT
Ness says:
"I see some of the console peasents had a joint gang bang in this forum again last night."

Lol !.

It's happening in almost every thread to tons of people mate, i think it's a lurker who has gotten a job lot of Amazon accounts just to mark people down, what a life ! :D.

"PC vs Console Comparisons. I'd say in the current climate its like comparing the early PS2 games to the latest PS3 graphics, serious thats how far ahead they are. Its embarrasing."

Complete BS imo, look at Forza Horizon, Halo 4, Gears of War Judgement, God of War Ascension, Beyond, Last of Us and tell me they look like PS2 games...

Obviously multi platform games run at a higher native resolution / framerate than the now 7 year old console hardware but even then the console versions of Crysis 2, BF3, Witcher 2, Farcry 3 are not a massive leap away from the PC versions imo, as i said better resolution, framerate and for the few PC gamers that can actually use it without a performance nosedive AA.

I would like to add i like PC gaming to an extent with games like Football Manager, MMO's and the odd strategy game but the way some people talk playing games on PC is like a generational leap and it just isn't.

Early PS4 / 720 exclusives / multi platform games will match anything a latest CPU / 16GB of Ram / GTX 680 gaming rig could pull off and they will continue to improve for the first few years just like on PS3 / 360.

Obviously eventually PC's will move ahead again as people upgrade past GTX 690's ect.

On current topic £900 should buy you a fantastic gaming PC !.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:20:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 10:21:12 GMT
Dela says:
Consoles are old tech when first released anyway - nevermind 6/7 years down the line!...

The last 5 years the consoles have been vastly inferior compared to PC's and when the next gen is released all they will do is catch up - at very best - gone are the days when new consoles outshine PCs on release - the extension of the current gen has made sure of that...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 10:31:01 GMT
Ness says:
"Consoles are old tech when first released anyway - nevermind 6/7 years down the line!..."

PS4 has a 4 core AMD CPU / 2 TF GPU / 4GB's of Ram.

To match what PS4 can output on PC you will need a cutting edge Intel CPU / 2.5 - 4 TFLOP GPU / 16 GB's of Ram rig, why ?, because console games are highly, highly optimised and developed 'to the metal' which bring enormous performance gains and is a big part of the reason they can get multi platform games like i mentioned on my previous post to run at 720p / 30 fps and exclusive games like i mentioned above to look so astounding on hardware from 2005.

"The last 5 years the consoles have been vastly inferior compared to PC's"

Thats up for opinion, sure running something like BF3 at 1080p / 60 fps is nice but it being 'vastly inferior' on consoles is subjective. BF3 is also one of the few console ports on PC that takes advantage of the latest hardware, most console ports are exactly the same game that can be run at a higher resolution / framerate and AA if your PC can handle it.

"when the next gen is released all they will do is catch up - at very best - gone are the days when new consoles outshine PCs on release - the extension of the current gen has made sure of that..."

We will see, i don't see how extending the current generation of consoles would do anything but allow Sony / MS make their next gen consoles much more powerful than if they were released in 2011, they would likely have 2GB's of Ram instead of 4 / 6 GB's for starters and much weaker GPU's.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:35:38 GMT
"Early PS4 / 720 exclusives / multi platform games will match anything a latest CPU / 16GB of Ram / GTX 680 gaming rig could pull off"

I'd just like to add. No they wont. Rumours are that the PS4 will be running a downclocked HD7770, a vastly inferior graphics card to even a GTX660 let alone 680! My brother PC has a 7770 and its not downcloked like the PS4 will be and that only marginly beats my GTX550Ti on a few games, even they are fast superior in visuals to any ps3/360 game!

Anyway, lets not argue, none of us can really say what the PS4/720 are capable of, they dont exist yet.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:42:50 GMT
Hackerdude says:
I'd say more and more frequently games are getting as well optimised for Pc nowadays. I'm getting 80FPS average on BL2 at max which is some unreal optimisation considering what is on screen. I think not too far down the line the PC will be as well, if not better optimised simply because games are developed on it. This will be even further set in stone as 'apparently' the new consoles are going to be more similar to PC's. So surely the Pc's are going to unleash there true power then.

I agree the consoles will catch up, but thats all they'l do, not level or out pace but catch up.

Also I'd like to add FC3, BF3 look crap on console. My housemate has them both on 360 nd they look tosh compared to my PC. Especially FC3.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 10:43:54 GMT
A few points lost in the PC vs console "war":

a) this isn't 2005, vast majority of games people play and the way they play has changed. Has no-one on this thread noticed that games can be played on a mobile device and they happen to be hugely profitable with low development costs.

b) consoles have highly optimized graphics libraries, there is no "fluff" in the coding. Yes on paper consoles will always be behind, but the fact developers can still produce such stunning games on old hardware has been lost.

c) if the vast majority of PC games weren't piratable some of my favourite franchises, and even new ones which should be, would still be available on the PC platform. So thank you to everyone who downloaded games, a big NOT. You can have the fanciest piece of PC kit in the whole world, but if developers and publishers don't even make games for it any more its just an expensive paperweight. (This is coming from someone who has been a self-certified PC gamer geek for the last 20 years, /sad panda)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  30 Nov 2012
Latest post:  7 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions