Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Classic Arcade Machines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-69 of 69 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Apr 2012 13:03:41 BDT
Smeg says:
I have a Jamma arcade cabinet I aquired recently. I bought battle rangers for it...Very cool!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2012 14:28:59 BDT
Dan says:
Dragoninja. Featuring the bad dudes? Or possibly shadow warriors also known as ninja gradien?

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 14:36:38 BDT
Steve says:
Bad dudes was an excellent game.

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 18:14:03 BDT
You and three mates

All playing Daytona USA at the same time

Brilliant fun

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 19:27:22 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Bad dudes vs Dragoninja was good. Like Double Dragon I do believe.

What's a Jamma arcade cabinet Smeg?

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 01:59:33 BDT
I've got a lot of fond memories of playing arcade machines. Daytona USA was addictive, even if I did finish pretty much every single race well down the pecking order. I also had several goes at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons. They were tough, but they were fun to play.

But my most favourite arcade machine of all time (I must of spent a typical house mortgage worth of pound coins on it) was The House Of The Dead, a brilliant FPS that combined the fast pace of Time Crisis and the blood and horror of Doom.

The last arcade machine I remember having fun on was about 6 or 7 years ago on Time Crisis 3. The storyline was intriguing if silly, and its fast pace and the ability to use different weapons made it lots of fun. All in all, great memories.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 08:30:00 BDT
At some point they're going to be like Wild Gunman and kids are going to say: "You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!" - Name the film. Could it be they were predicting Kinect???

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 09:29:34 BDT
Wayne says:
So many great arcade games from back in the day already mentioned.

One thing I remember well was during the dreamcast days. The town I grew up in in Essex had a sega park and whenever a new game was released on the dreamcast I would pop in during my lunch break at work and spend a couple of quid on the arcade machine, sort of like a try before you buy. The dreamcast used the same tech as the sega arcade games at the time so you knew if you were gonna buy the actual game it would play exactly like the arcade machine.

My favourite game of this time was the star wars trilogy, never did understand why that never got a dreamcast release.

Old favourites included double dragon, R-type and the big cabinet versions of afterburner and APB.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:32:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2012 11:38:02 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
Double Dragon was class. Was Renegade and arcade or was that straight to C64 / Spectrum / whatever console was available at the time?

OMG EDIT: Just Googled it and got to Ocean Games page on wiki. Nostalgia overload...

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:54:36 BDT
Weren't Ocean Games the king of the license games back in the day. I remember having The Untouchables which I think was an Ocean game and then there was the greatest sports game of them all: DALEY THOMPSON'S DECATHLON. Waggle that joystick to destruction.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:59:44 BDT
Jamma is the name of the motherboard that most of the 80s arcade machines ran on. If you look on ebay you can get a jamma emulator and all the roms for your pc.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 13:00:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2012 13:23:20 BDT
Dela says:
Arcades... The golden years of gaming:

Operation Wolf
Double Dragon
N.A.R.C
Exterminator
Kung Fu Master
Rampage
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands

Streetfighter II
Mortal Kombat I & II

Daytona
Sega Rally
Virtua Racing

Virtua Fighter
Tekken II & 3

Also, the name escapes me, but there was a rally game set in an isometric view that I played a few times thru the years... Excellent game...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2012 15:34:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2012 15:38:17 BDT
P. Maurice says:
Defender for me as it was funny seeing octopus reflexes in gamers aside from just bystanding. Now spending more time looking at the keyboard to play with Mame.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 15:41:46 BDT
DaveManhore says:
Double Dragon all the way for me. Everyday my bus fare would be spent on this after school, then i'd walk home. Eventually completed it with my daily 20 pence. A satisfying day!

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 15:48:54 BDT
P. Maurice says:
Anyone remember Mr Do? Shoppers used to panic after hearing gamers shout "Get the Diamond".

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 22:12:19 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"Weren't Ocean games the king of the license games back in the day."

They were indeed. I read about them in Retro Gamer. They worked on the biggest licensed games and coin-op conversions.

I can beat that list Dela. ;-)

NARC
Operation Wolf
Operation Thunderbolt
The Gauntlet
Robocop 3
Rainbow Islands
Total Recall
Wizball
Top Gun
Elf
Darkman
Battle Command
Batman
Head Over Heels
Shaq Fu
Shadow Warriors
The Newzealand Story
Wild Wheels
Cosmic Wartoad
Chase HQ
Tau Ceti
Platoon
Cabal
Epic
The Great Escape
Gryzor/Contra
Hyper Sports
Track & Field
Midnight Resistance
Gutz
Hudson Hawk
Red Heat
Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Double Take
The Untouchables
Madballs
Roland's Rat Race
Wizkid
Cobra
Robocop
Robocop 2
Navy Seals
Rambo II
Miami Vice
Green Beret

In 1994 Ocean grew it's business by purchasing rival software house 'Imagine'.

Ocean's final wave..

Zero Divide (Ps1) 1996
Wetrix 1998
Last Rites 1997
GT 64 1998 (last game) N64

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 20:29:09 BDT
Hi,
I have an original Gauntlet 1 (1985) machine for sale if anyone is interested.
Converted to a MAME PC cabinet but still has everything original apart from the screen which is now a PC screen.

Plays like a dream.
Contact me if interested.

many thanks
Roger
07766 540403

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 20:35:35 BDT
Simo says:
wrestlefest for me, loved a royal rumble as the big bossman! and super sidekicks, found it really tough though!

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 11:07:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2012 12:21:12 BDT
'ROBOTRON 2084'
My favorite arcade game period, incredibly addictive! Nearly 30 years on and I still play the Midway Arcade Treasures version on a regular basis. Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar were true innovators and pioneers. No other arcade game has held my attention for that long, I take my hat off to them both!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Dark Souls 2 - Co-op Gang & General Chat Thread - (The Story goes on) 1634 2 minutes ago
The Official Amazon Football Thread - Fourth Official (No Fergie Time) 9651 9 minutes ago
Official Nintendo Wii U Thread Part 2. 6628 12 minutes ago
Civilization: Beyond Earth 8 17 minutes ago
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 6031 21 minutes ago
The Ultra Settings with full FXAA and AToC Thread (PC part 2) 477 22 minutes ago
Infamous Second Son PS4 210 34 minutes ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 4: From Teh Cell to Teh Cloud 6141 38 minutes ago
Playstation Vita Clan Thread 2 (They said it would never happen) 1616 1 hour ago
Isn't there a game released today of probably one of the best franchises ever..... 20 10 hours ago
Off Topic - good TV shows 1004 13 hours ago
The inaugural official Amazon 360/Xbox One Thread 5458 17 hours ago
ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  5 Apr 2012
Latest post:  2 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions