Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Is COD Elite worth it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-72 of 72 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Apr 2012 02:07:58 BDT
Yes, I'm lucky in that respect Lee. Without the Elite Subscription or a generous brother/friend there is no way to be able to play the maps early.
It's sort of annoying for people who either can't afford the 40 it cost (May be 35 now) or don't know anyone who is willing to let them have the maps. Having played them I'm glad I didn't pay for them because I would have been disappointed.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 02:10:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 02:11:28 BDT
"I still think its a lot of money though when compared to the rest of the games out there."

Yes, it's a lot of money. But it's just another one of those annoying things that our capitalist system throws up. The same way Rooney is paid a sickening amount of money a week. Or CEOs get Millions for bonuses. Don't hate the player hate the game.. no, that's wrong, don't hate... Peace. LOL ;)
(It's late, see ya Lee)

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 02:13:41 BDT
See ya later guys good night.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 02:39:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 02:46:04 BDT
Nessy says:
"nessy if you look on here quickest way for wiiu to sell 20 million consoles is having blops 2 as a launch game."

Wii U will have BLOPS 2 at launch but im sure most people will be happy playing it on their PS360, if Wii U is to sell 20 million in it's first year then it will be more to do with New Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports / Wii Fit U.

S--*t sells, sad but true, Pikman 3 will prob sell less than a million copies ...

Sledgehammer interview with a bit about Wii U from yesterday -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-18-call-of-duty-transcends-entertainment-in-such-a-massive-way

"Q: Have you thought about what might be possible with next-gen Call of Duty? The Wii U is going to be out later this year and beyond that Sony and Microsoft will have something in 2013. Does that kind of get your creative juices flowing about what the technology would allow you to do?

Michael Condrey: Yeah, it's interesting. With every generation, you get to into that place in your current generation where you're really efficient with your hardware; you finally know how to maximize the hardware and technology. That's a really great place to be for a developer because you get to focus on the "what," like really the creative iteration of the "what" in the game and less on the "how" and that's nice. With any generational leap, early on in the cycle you start to focus on the how. "How do I get to do this on the hardware?" because you're learning it and it provides a challenge. At the same time, it's exciting. It offers new innovations and more horsepower and all of those things. It's sort of having one foot in each. In some ways I'm like "Man, what we've got right now is really amazing and really powerful, we know what we're doing and we can create and iterate better than before."

What's coming next is super exciting. I was in presentation a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me. They are calling this the eighth generation. The next generation will be called generation 8; there have been eight hardware transitions and with each one it brings unique opportunities and challenges. I think the future for the industry is exciting, but at the same time I'm really proud of what we've done with this one."

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 04:11:48 BDT
J-Bear says:
"With any generational leap, early on in the cycle you start to focus on the how. "How do I get to do this on the hardware?" because you're learning it and it provides a challenge."

How do we get the same copy and paste on to the new hardware ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz_7OLarz_s

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 04:28:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 06:48:38 BDT
J-Bear says:
Anyway, I firmly believe that the first developer to give people a good first person shooter with brilliant console user created development and share tools similar to little Big Planet etc will destroy Cod overnight.

You won't need to buy map packs, you'll make your own. Activision are possibly aware of this and are hoping it doesn't happen. They are unwilling to do it themselves of course as people keep paying them millions of dollars for four maps. Why let people create 4 million maps? Also, they aren't exactly creative thinkers, they are financial thinkers. They be in an awkward position. Their greed leaves them no space for movement. Ha

The first publisher to do for FPS what little big planet did for user created content of platformers on home console will imediately steal the show. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. Maybe they are caught in the headlights of Cod success and are still trying to emulate it but.. there you go.

Simples. Massive mega bucks for any developer willing to give up maps as dlc and sell crates and barrells and atractive bushes and fauna, weather options, sci fi themes, blah blah blah instead.

Get on with it please, somebody.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 08:36:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 08:38:29 BDT
LBP-like FPS map creation? You mean like Halo Forge which, whilst interesting, hasnt really set the world alight?

No, Activision arent "creative thinkers", but then they arent developing the game so that's a moot point

COD is the same year after year? Total BS. I've put 300+ hours into each COD since COD4 (and some time in COD 2 & 3) - I *know* they're as different across each iteration as they possibly can be without alienating the fan base. Play W@W and then tell me it plays like MW3. Don't be fooled by the "it's all the same" idiots who have no intention of playing COD, have no experience of Elite and resign themselves to their niche JRPGs (which they ironically fail to see are about as "cut and paste" as COD)

Bethesda release games that are (still!) broken, EA release games with online passes and day 1 booster DLC, Capcom are locking DLC on the disc and asking you to pay for it, Store is dominated by LBP premium costumes (it's no angel itself, is it J-Bear?) and its rare to find a title thats released finished and never needs patching

Yet MW3 is one of the most substantial offerings there is (SP, 2 kinds of Spec Ops and MP) and you get people crucifying it with no experience of it. I paid 70, got the Steelbook edition with a realistic war diary and a years free premium Elite. How many repeatedly spend 50+ on Special Editions that add nothing to the game?

And as for developers & publishers copying COD, I have 2 points to make
1. Was COD the first online FPS? No
2. Is it Activision's fault that others copy them? No

Blame the lack of originality when it comes to sub-standard clones. To this day there are hundreds of GTA clones - why? Because its a solid, much-loved formula people enjoy playing. And that's COD in a nutshell

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:02:19 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
Why would anyone compare Skyrim to COD? Its like saying Mozart wasn't as good as The Rolling Stones (or vice versa).

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:06:49 BDT
mozart is killing the music industry............

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 11:11:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 11:19:29 BDT
Lee, Lee, Lee im so disappointed in you, I thought you turned a corner but your back bad mouthing cod for little more than the fact its popular and you dont like it. You havent proved in any way why its so bad or why "DESTROYING THE INDUSTRY".

Be the better man, you dont like COD fair enough play one of the other thousands of games available and leave it be. You dont need to buy Elite to play or enjoy COD period! do you think all the hundred thousans COD owners are Elite members ?? of course not there are always hundreds of games you can join without the new maps.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:28:38 BDT
Not trying to prove it bauer, just my opinion thats all. I was not comparing skyrim to cod if you actually read the post i was just pointing out that the one that took years and a lot of great devs to make sold about 10% of what cod did they are obviously different games.

Im just saying that i think it has a negative impact on the industry in my opinion, and when the bubble bursts i think it will be a big problem plus i have a problem with the way they do business its my problem with them im glad people get a lot of fun out of it.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:39:05 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
"I was not comparing skyrim to cod if you actually read the post"

Apologies, I am not sure what gave me that impression...

Oh wait, it may have been this comment.

"Im sure they are not disappointed with skyrims sales, but when you compare them to cod its small fry"

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:41:16 BDT
Mike E says:
I'm happy to play MW3 without buying the map packs. After the atrocities that are the standard maps I hate to think how I'd feel if I paid for more of the same.

Well when I say happy to play MW3, we aren't talking at the moment. I finally cracked earlier in the week due to such appauling map design unfortunately

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:41:59 BDT
WHAM!!

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 14:45:37 BDT
Rodders i think i am comparing sales? not the games themselves.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 15:07:11 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
I knew that, but why compare them Lee? They are games aimed at different segments of the market- albeit many people are lucky enough to be able to enjoy both. Why do you say that it saddens you that COD sells more than Skyrim? Because you don't like COD. Hence where I was coming from - people like different things and as a result they have different levels of popularity but that does not mean one is better than the other. Same goes for music, film, books, sports etc etc. Hell, I could get sad that McDonalds sells more coffee than Starbucks (or the other way round - genuinely not interested) if I was sad enough.

Have you called Bethesda and asked if they are sad with sales of Skyrim? I bet they are not, it must have exceeded their expectations and I doubt they ever targetted selling more than COD, why would they. For all its depth and beauty and great soundtrack, Skyrim was broken (at least on PS3) and shouldn't have been sent to market in the condition it was. This is something to be sad about - a broken game that needed multiple patches that have still never completely fixed the problem. A known problem with previous games stretching back a number of years that never got fixed either.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 15:12:52 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Apr 2012 15:16:49 BDT]

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 20:29:44 BDT
J-Bear says:
I'm just bitter because I hate the tiny MW3 maps that feel like rats in a maze and makes my brain start to feel tired. I just want to play MW2 but there are only a thousand or so players left and they tend to be cheating glitching modding scum so it is all ruined for me.

I bought the maps for 11 in the end. They aren't worth it. I'm ready for a different game I think.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 21:41:53 BDT
Yeah ok rodders i get your point, it is just my opinion thats all im not going to get into all this again mate.

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 22:40:07 BDT
Hubbard says:
"I'm just bitter because I hate the tiny MW3 maps that feel like rats in a maze and makes my brain start to feel tired. I just want to play MW2 but there are only a thousand or so players left and they tend to be cheating glitching modding scum so it is all ruined for me."

Same way I feel. MW3 is a downgraded MW2, and I hated MW2.

Looking foward to Treyach's next CoD. Loved W@W and Black Ops. Treyach seem to generally add something unique every CoD.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 22:50:33 BDT
Nessy says:
"Same way I feel. MW3 is a downgraded MW2, and I hated MW2.

Looking foward to Treyach's next CoD. Loved W@W and Black Ops. Treyach seem to generally add something unique every CoD."

My thoughts exactly !.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 08:15:27 BDT
Mike E says:
What I can never understand is why they never use the WaW/Blops style squad system on the Modern Warfare games. All 3 Modern Warfare games are a pain because you have to back out and then send out invites don't you? Whereas WaW let you join squads during games and Blops seemed to put you on the same team as others in your party chat/friends list. I don't know what it was with Blops I just find it a bit tedious to play, not sure exactly why
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  9 Apr 2012
Latest post:  21 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions