Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Last of Us

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 77 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Jun 2012 14:51:49 BDT
Ballisticola says:
Yeah, that's what's so exciting about it. When they said "You can bypass this whole section" it really does give the two fingers to Uncharted ;)

When you hit punch it[the game] sends out lasers to the nearest object, so instead of punching the enemy, the game uses the nearest thing like, smashing his head on a fireplace.

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 14:53:07 BDT
Trigger says:
"sends out lasers to the nearest object"

But do the lasers have sharks on their head?!

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 14:53:32 BDT
TMan says:
I know, but E3 Demo was very lustful. Plus my 360 is now 3 years old I was itching to spend on new gadget. ;o) Really though, I have not been this much excited for any game since Halo: Reach. (Not even for Halo 4, sorry 343, I am a more of a Bungie fan than Halo).

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 15:11:27 BDT
Ballisticola says:
"But do the lasers have sharks on their head?!"

No, not sharks, but there are plenty more fish in the sea ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 17:26:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jun 2012 17:26:35 BDT
Ness says:
"This looks like next-gen title from E3 demo"

Did you see the videos of Star Wars 1313, Unreal Engine 4 tech demo and the 'Agnis' Final Fantasy tech demo, now those are 'next gen' ;).

I was actually surprised at how similar Last of Us looked to Uncharted (not that that's a bad thing graphically), i was far more blown away by the 'Beyond' real time graphics demo on PS3 at E3.

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 20:05:41 BDT
TMan says:
Nessy, it seems huge improvement over Uncharted 1 I am currently playing. :P

Jokes apart, thought gameplay looked very interesting & from what I heard very little of it was scripted. On current gen Console it looked amazing, all above you mentioned & Watchdog was running on PC.

Beyond looked very impressive too. I have played Heavy Rain demo & I think they can afford to render such graphics coz actual playable area on map is very restricted. At least that was the case with Heavy Rain demo.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:11:08 BDT
Nick says:
When you play U2, you will be amazed at how far ahead it is of U1. U2 is a truly unbelievable game, but then; I also LOVED U3.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:13:42 BDT
Ness says:
Uncharted 2 blows Uncharted 1 into orbit graphically and in terms of scale and set pieces if your new to PS3, try God of War 3, GT 5, MGS 4, Killzone 2 & 3 and Heavy Rain aswell if you want to see what PS3 can do when really pushed.

Altho all the games i mentioned were running on PC at E3 scaled down versions of those are far more like what next gen will be like as opposed to Last of Us which doesn't look much better than the latest version of the Uncharted engine imo, you will prob change your mind once you've completed Uncharted 2 and 3.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:15:55 BDT
Nick says:
I still think that U2/U3 are the closest that this gen has come to next. Beyond may test that.

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 20:25:55 BDT
TMan says:
I almost regret buying PS3 now, way too many good games to play. Burried up to my nose in backlog. Wish work &/or social life relent for me to indulge in my latest toy. #FirstWorldProblems

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:31:38 BDT
Nick says:
Think of is this way, no summer drought for you! Aside from that, you get to play some utterly fabulous titles.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:33:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jun 2012 20:33:47 BDT
Ness says:
Gears 2 & 3, Uncharted 2 & 3, Crysis 1 & 2, Killzone 2 & 3, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, MGS 4, God of War 3, GTA 4, Just Cause 2, GT 5, Forza 4, and Heavy Rain are by far the most technically impressive games on console this gen imo.

God of War 3 wins for me tho, at times it's pretty close to controlling movie CGI.

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 20:33:50 BDT
"I almost regret buying PS3 now, way too many good games to play."

I bought mine just before starting my exams at the end of my 2nd year of uni... not the best of ideas ;) lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 20:43:49 BDT
Nick says:
Looking forward to GOW now! Should be getting it in ze states:)

Posted on 28 Jun 2012 21:08:59 BDT
TMan says:
@Nessy, no love for Halo 3, & Reach? They don't have impressive graphics but Forge, Theatre mode, & shared film was quite an achievement on Console, married with mental stat tracking on Bungie.net. Also AI on higher difficulty in Reach is insane.

@Nicholas, thanks for putting +ve spin on my misery. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 21:44:33 BDT
Ness says:
I've never really thought Halo looks that great tbh but the AI and level design is where that game shines.

Will see how Halo 4: Metroid Prime Edition looks later in the year ;).

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2012 21:59:10 BDT
R says:
I think the Halos do atmosphere and vistas well, and the art work is excellent. The graphics are good IMO but just not setting the benchmark, no where near.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 11:26:23 BDT
Trigger says:
Halo has never really had the best visuals since its first instalment, but it does scale better than any other FPS out there. That's where it shines.

That being said, the visuals in Halo 4 look trucking excellent from the E3 footage.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 11:29:40 BDT
I'd rather have the superb (enemy) AI in Halo than I would the visuals of the Killzone games.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 11:44:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2012 11:47:38 BDT
Trigger says:
The AI in Killzone 2 was great. In Killzone 3 though they'd all been taking stupid pills.

I'd rather they stop focusing so much on the (admittedly brilliant) visuals in the Killzone games and get some better level and set-piece designers on the team. I would also like the whole story/script writing team get fired and someone who can actually do half-decent characterisation and pacing get the gig. Like the dude who wrote Binary Domain; I was talking to him on GamesIndustry.biz yesterday.

EDIT - actually, if Sony are insistent on persevering with such a dull franchise, I would rather it gets a complete reboot from the beginning, with a lot more cues taken from Bulletstorm and Halo. Make it more fun and less dull.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 11:53:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2012 11:54:40 BDT
R says:
You can have the best graphics in the world but if the setting and atmosphere of a game are soulless then those graphics count for nothing for me. Killzone 2 was part way there for atmosphere but Killzone 3 was way off target. A game with a setting which draws you in can often smooth over shortcomings in game play.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 12:00:07 BDT
TMan says:
+1 for Bulletstorm. Totally insane gameplay with wicked sense of humour. My beef with most modern shooters is that they take their game bit too seriously & forget to make it fun. BF3 campaign was such a let down. In contrast, just look at Left 4 Dead. Game doesn't even have a real story, yet it shines.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 12:45:28 BDT
djburty says:
"I'd rather have the superb (enemy) AI in Halo than I would the visuals of the Killzone games. "

+1 - not that i have played Halo - but i would always go with better AI than better graphics. but along with that i would like slightly more realistic enemies as well - such as not having deathwishes, not having x-ray vision and having limited grenades etc.

i liked the look of the companion AI in The Last of Us and am hopeful that AI overall is improved from uncharted series.

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 06:47:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2012 06:54:43 BDT
I think Killzone 3 was going for that gritty war look which was a bit hit and miss imo. But when it hit I thought it looked really good. also some of the vistas were stunning but I never really felt planted in them. I think I should feel Wow look at what's happening around me! Instead I get thrown in a trench where I can only see the next enemy or in the back of vehicle for a bit of on rails shooting. And the ending! K3's ending is worse than awful imo. But I thought the undergrowth/jungle bit in K3 looked more unique/stunning than the bit I saw in Halo 4.

Back on topic, the bit in the E3 The Last of Us vid that has a question mark over it for me is the pulling of the trigger with no bullets in it. Then cue the fighting. Now was that the player pulling the trigger or a forced event? Because if it's the later I find that really poor (Why would I pull the trigger on an empty gun, stuff like that really irritates me, I'll be screaming at the screen "I DIDN'T DO THAT!!!!"). But if it's the player it might imply a kind of bluff side to the game (like I Am Alive). It worries me a little with the initial fight in the vid as you pick somebodies pockets and they hear you. What happens if I don't pick their pockets? Why can't he be a little more discrete about it? They feel like they're pushing the player into fight scenes. I love the Uncharted games and while seeing much of the same but in a post-apocalyptic world would be cool, going through the same routines, patterns of Uncharted might tarnish the experience.

Posted on 30 Jun 2012 11:13:39 BDT
djburty says:
" It worries me a little with the initial fight in the vid as you pick somebodies pockets and they hear you. What happens if I don't pick their pockets? Why can't he be a little more discrete about it? They feel like they're pushing the player into fight scenes."

i'm sure they have said you can bypass some fights - but on the otherhand they do need to tell a story and fighting to survive might be integral to this. you will have to go some forced events in the majority of story-led games, i don't see this as a problem. howerver i'd much prefer forced events where you have to do QTEs or just move in a particular direction (such as the annoying desert bit in U3) be changed to cutscenes - preferably skippable ones :)

i don't see The Last of Us as being a sandbox survival game (as STALKER was to a certain degree) so it will probably have a somewhat linear progression through the city in a similar vein to uncharted games.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  8 Mar 2012
Latest post:  2 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions