Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

OT: Movies you've seen recently

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 651-675 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 12 Jul 2012 18:03:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2012 18:04:22 BDT
Oh, I'm not judging Transformers, it's utter tripe, though the more I thought about it the more I was surprised at the similarities to Super 8 in certain areas. Which isn't surprising both are Hollywood films and both loosely follow the "Hero's Journey". I generally agree with what you say about Super 8, my issues with the film is largely away from your point and to do with the badly drawn out peripheral characters. While it might be off on a tangent I thought Attack the Block could also be argued as a coming of age story. Though immaterial maybe I also like the fact it speaks more of the time we live in. It's taken from those 80s films, references them and made it 21st century. I know that's not what you're point was, I'm just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2012 18:10:37 BDT
Dukeshire says:
I do see that Transformers does have those qualities as we see Sam get older and more "mature" throughout the trilogy. It also has that bombastic 80s feel to that obviously due to Transformers being from that era.

Posted on 12 Jul 2012 23:15:29 BDT
R. Woolmer says:
As an absolute transformers fan, watched the G1 series as a kid and am sitting typing this wearing a transformers t-shirt and ive got to say the films were absolute pap and ill always hate Bay/speil for that :)

Im sorry but the late 70s/80s are still the best thats why they are churning out pants reboots/prequel/sequels even today.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 01:13:33 BDT
Because they didn't churn out crap reboots & sequels in the 80s...

Name 5 films from the 80s that define the generation, and I bet I can give you a list of both pre-80s and post-80s films that are just as good, if not better

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 01:47:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2012 02:15:55 BDT
Dukeshire says:
70s:
Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Alien
Exorcist
Rocky
Animal House
Dirty Harry and hell I will throw the Warriors in there, and All the Presidents Men and so many more.

Though there are many more....

80s:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future/Ghostbusters
Maybe Empire Strikes Back for setting the high bar of sequels
Blade Runner
So many teen movies that set up the future like Ferris Buellers, Breakfast Club, Fast Times, Revenge of the Nerds, Sixteen Candles and so many more
Batman for setting up future super hero movies and going a darker route
Karate Kid
Stallone/Auh-Nold movies for bringing in the modern action blockbuster and of course Die Hard

There are so many movies in the 90s I wouldn't know where to start, and it is close to the 80s in quality and I have avoided the more artsy films but you have to give a nod to Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List. Hell even the Rock for "Bayefying" Hollywood but also ID4, Kevin Smith, American Pie for paving the way for Wedding Crashers. Also Scream for helping bring back the horror and teen movie craze.

Basically every decade of movies is awesome and one can make an argument for their favorite and be correct.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 03:15:02 BDT
If I'm being honest and had to chose a decade I consider a golden time for film I'd point at the 70s. Woody Allen does arguably his best films in the 70s. The Godfather, Clockwork Orange, some of the greatest Sci-fi ever including Star Wars (though I think the 80s excelled here). Dog Day Afternoon, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now... The classics keep coming... Alien, Network, One Flew over the...Rocky, Jaws, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Harry, Animal House, Badlands, Chinatown... I haven't included foreign/British films in that list, so no Tarkovskiy or Bertolucci. So many of them are genre defining. And a couple like Jaws, Animal House and Halloween arguably created new genres.

I want to take up Paul's challenge but keep thinking up counter arguments to my films.

Here's a punt:

Blue Velvet
Scarface
Videodrome
Die Hard
Trading Places

I might want to swap Videodrome with Robocop.

I'd like to add there's been some brilliant films in the last ten years and animation as a whole is amazing. I'm currently watching lots of black and white films and some are just genius.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 03:19:19 BDT
Dukeshire says:
Jesus, I forgot Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Sat. Night Fever and Taxi Driver! Also, the Conversation, Serpico, Death Wish, Josey Wales and so many more.

I would have to put Robocop over Videodrome. Trading Places is a classic and so is Beverly Hills Cop and Fletch and Vacation.

Someone on a thread over here in the states claimed that Gohostbusters was overrated due to being dated. Oh well, no accounting for taste.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 03:23:27 BDT
Christopher Nolan's last Batman film is close arriving and I wonder whether after Peter Jackson won his Oscars on the last Lord of the Rings film do people think Nolan deserves nomination shouts next Oscars? And if he doesn't get any does that seem unfair?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 03:42:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2012 03:52:13 BDT
I probably agree about Robocop. But I think Videodrome is important for a number of reasons, firstly its Cronenberg's first great film, it also cleverly explores our increasingly sexualised relationship with film/tv and also blurs horror and sci-fi. The film folds in on itself, hallucination on top of hallucination, the blending of realities, losing itself as it sinks further into the psyche of Max. As it goes so does the perception of the flesh. So many themes to do with flesh is seen in his other work but I think here he does it perfectly and without reliance on external material. "Long live the new flesh!"
I'm very much looking forward to his new film though a little nervous Robert Patterson is in it. Would love it to be a full on return to films like Videodrome just to hear all those who'll only go and see it because they love Twilight and Patterson declare their disgust.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 03:49:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2012 03:50:09 BDT
Dukeshire says:
To be honest I have not seen the film since the 90s, so I need to see it again. As for Robocop that was Verhoeven at the top of his game before Showgirls. I loved the social statement it made and Detroit is still a feces hole.

As for Nolan, if the movie turns out as good as it should then you never know. I am sure if Jackson had a DeLorean he and New Line would split Return of the King into two movies like Hobbit, Potter and Twilight. I will say I am stoked for the Hobbit. Just watched the extended Kong cut and it was better than I remembered. The dinosaur stampede scene looked cheesy but the film was pretty damn good and Jack Black despite his over the top expressions at times did a great job.

Edit: Don't forget Mad Max as another 80s classic or Brazil.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 08:23:38 BDT
All of this coming of age stuff aside and only focusing on Transformers verses Super 8...I'd have to say that I agree with Lill.

These are two completely different kinds of films aimed at different audiences. I wasn't a big fan of Super 8 myself but it certainly captured something that no Transformers film has been successful for doing. Forget that it's a kid growing up, meeting aliens and saving the world but instead recognise that the whole mood and feeling of both films is what sets them apart. Watching Super 8 really did make me think of Goonies, ET, Stand by Me. I think they did a good job to capture that because that is certainly not something I see a lot of in today's films. What that means for kids that are too young to know what those past films are, I have no idea.

The truth is, when they make the Transformers films they think about effects, effects and even more effects. It's almost as if the effects department take over and make changes to what was originally a decent story. A lot of feeling gets lost in films when they do this and I can't stand it. It turns into something that anyone can just sit down and watch and just know what's going on. None of the films make you think, you can walk away and it is like you have just been on a fast rollercoaster. I'd say it's great for kids.

The thing is, this stuff really is down to taste and I won't knock anyone that loves the Transformers franchise.

I'm not going to get in a debate about taste though, I have more pressing matters to attend to today.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 11:48:49 BDT
G. Hanks says:
The Michael Bay pot of movie alchemy...

Add frequent situations where the hero narrowly escapes death by inches/seconds losing any believability that he has a right to survive. Mix with insanely high budget special effects and explosions. Include fight scenes using said awesome effects but use shakey cameras and quick cuts so that you have no idea what is happening in them. Finally film a girl's bum for a bit and put it in slow motion.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 12:55:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2012 12:57:44 BDT
With regard to transformers I'm a confirmed generation one fan and hate that Michael bay felt the need to change the back story bad some of the characters. Loving said that I've enjoyed all three films. They are funny, action packed and have the very best in modern special effects. Like a deep plot driven story with great characters and acting as much as the next person but at times I also like to kick back and watch a dumb action film and these fit the bill perfectly. Roll on expendables 2 :)

Sometimes I think film fans can disappear up their own arses bleeting on about artistic merit. Not every film has to be an Oscar worthy masterpiece of storytelling.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 18:43:37 BDT
"Sometimes I think film fans can disappear up their own arses bleeting on about artistic merit"

I think it's fine to discuss aspects of a film, sometimes it's a way of clarifying my thoughts on it, sometimes it's to gain the perception of another's point of view and gain further insight into the film. But I also know what sort of film I might want to "disappear up my own arse" for. Lost Highway I would. Crank 2 I wouldn't.

"Watching Super 8 really did make me think of Goonies,"

Funnily, this is primary why I don't like it. Forgetting the safe middle American town where kids ride around on BMXs cliche. And the annoying use of lens flares. It's that other than the three central characters the peripheral friends were badly depicted and almost throw-away. It never felt like that in the Goonies. Each character was well portrayed and fully developed characters that were given equal screen time. Same for Stand By Me. It's like it was a love letter to those films but just not a very good love letter and in which they kind of didn't understand what made their loved one great.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 20:04:29 BDT
Just seen there's another Starship Troopers movie on the way in August, starring Casper Van Dien and Neil Patrick Harris is back!!
Starship Troopers: Invasion [Blu-ray] [2012]
I know it won't be great, but I have to watch it.

Also Resident Evil:Damnation the sequel to Degeneration is out in september! Thought Degeneration was better than the live action films, so will definitely watch this. :)
Now I just need Evangelion 3.33 to get a release date........ :(

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 20:10:29 BDT
" Thought Degeneration was better than the live action films, so will definitely watch this. :)"

Degeneration was awful... possibly more awful than the live action films :P.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 21:39:25 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I found degeneration pretty watchable but they are turning the characters into super heros with their reactions, speed etc...

One of the key points of the Resi games (at least 1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica) was that the characters felt very human with a real element of danger. They weren't able to use bullet time, jump massive chasms etc... I didn't mind Leon getting a bit powered up in Resi 4, it came with the assumed combat training but what they pulled off in Degeneration was just a bit too ninja.

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 17:39:40 BDT
R. Woolmer says:
see dukeshires post :) everything that was ever any good came from the late 70/80s

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 21:10:26 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Jul 2012 04:32:12 BDT]

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 21:57:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2012 22:01:09 BDT
Just about to settle down had watch total recall. For all you blu ray lovers its just been re released with a new Paul verhoven supervised high def transfer with all the previous bonus features of the dvd special edition. Cracking slice of Annie sci fi. From 1990 so their was a few good films after the 70's/80's :)

On the subject of Annie sci fi I've been searching for a decent copy of the running man for ages. The UK dvd is utter sh.. with a poor transfer and no bonus content. It was released a few years ago on region 1 in the US with a better transfer and bonus features but I could never find a copy that wasn't stupid expensive. By the time it dropped in price I'd forgotten about it. It was released on blu ray a while back in the US and from reviews it seemed to have a really good high def picture and sound with loads of bonus content. Sadly it was region locked. Recently just discovered it was also released in Australia who are also region b like the UK. It's the exact same blu ray edition as the US version with no cuts to the film. Ordered a copy from a company called jb high-fi and total cost including international postage was less than £15. Bargain.

Posted on 14 Jul 2012 21:59:35 BDT
Just watched Scorsese's Mean Streets. Really don't know if I liked it or not, it's one of those weird movies which for some reason has got me thinking about filmaking/acting in general. Anyone else seen this?

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 02:13:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2012 02:22:58 BDT
I love Mean Streets. I get why you might be undecided about it though. That very Catholic conflict represented by Jonny Boy and Charlie never allows the film to sit easily.

I can never be sure if Wayne is trolling.

"Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win. "

From "Stalker" a film I urge everybody to watch.

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 07:55:46 BDT
Dukeshire says:
I want to see Total Recall again. It has been so long. I saw Running Man more recently but want to see it again. Sixth Day is another decent Arnie Sci-Fi.

Mean Streets is awesome.

Watching the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld. It is the the TV version with 40 more minutes but the edited for TV stuff put back. Pretty damn awesome.

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 08:32:02 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Well I saw The Mist last night as my Sunday night horror. Once more another good recommendation from Mr Cliff (after seeing The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone in the last two weeks.)

Have ordered Devil by M Night, generally like his films, even those generally considered to be the lesser ones and they're always watchable at the very least.

Also, in line with the visibility reducing weather theme I've also gone for The Fog as well (original.) I still have Korean original Into the Mirror to watch after finding Mirrors entertaining (if a bit light weight and Hollywood fluff at times)

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 08:40:41 BDT
Watched Texas Killing Fields over the weekend. Didn't think that much of it TBH - slow, not particulary absorbing. Watchable.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Currently Playing Part 7: A man chooses, a HAW obeys. 5631 7 minutes ago
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 9860 12 minutes ago
The Official Amazon Football Thread - The Race for Sixth 2067 35 minutes ago
XBOX One S 11 47 minutes ago
Name and shame your gaming backlog 2186 48 minutes ago
Resident Evil 21 49 minutes ago
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 7312 18 hours ago
Cheap Games! 4530 19 hours ago
Original Dead Rising is heading to PS4 126 19 hours ago
The inaugural official Amazon 360/Xbox One Thread 6964 20 hours ago
Destiny 5588 23 hours ago
Nintendo shares fall 17% 14 1 day ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  115
Total posts:  3030
Initial post:  26 Apr 2012
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions