Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 328 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:34:31 GMT
Wayne says:
I would bet a months wages that if M$ do stop second hand games then so will Sony. No way one company will shoot themselves in the foot like that, it would be in tandem as both Sony and M$ could effectively kill the second hand market together and make more money in the process.

Pc gaming hasn't been killed off by the lack of a pre owned market like many predicted years back so it won't kill off console gaming.

I am concerned about the lower specs and the always online stuff and if that's true I'll be jumping off the good ship Xbox and boarding the HMS playstation next gen.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:38:20 GMT
Bozz says:
What if Microsoft have done some deals with publishers on this? For obvious reasons publishers hate the used market so maybe they have said, "We will give you a certain game(s) as an exclusive if you do this"

Wouldnt suprise me in the slightest

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:40:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 14:42:35 GMT
... says:
Sony and MS agreeing to kill of the pre owned market to me is a bit like saying Israel and Iran have both agreed to bomb Cyprus for some mutually beneficial reason. What would they have to ensure that each other kept there word? A handshake? Is that enough to trust the other side? A massive corporation that is actively trying to put you out of business. If this kind of deal was to be put to paper in a binding document I would think it would be leaked all over the net.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 14:45:16 GMT
Cerberus says:
Thing is, didn't Sony patent a non used game system awhile ago ?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 14:46:23 GMT
I agree Astro, the smart company would agree it but have a patch ready to allow preowned games after the competitor releases their console. Thus being the only one to allow used games, unless the other did the same, so we'd be in the same situation as now.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:51:34 GMT
one2escape says:
Maybe reading to much into this I think. It maybe a case of first use of the game there must be a internet connection.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:52:21 GMT
J-Bear says:
Why would anyone want to pay to have google and government cctv pointing at them in their living room.
Ignorance is bliss.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:53:49 GMT
The article never mentions it will be harder to develop for, it only mentions the exclusive use of approved libraries (think DirectX), while PS4 will enable access to a lower level access in development, which will enable for more capable developers to tweak and extract the power of the CPU and GPU. But as of Microsoft fame, I honestly believe it will be easier to develop for the new Xbox and will attract small developers.

By the way, the online only bit is a deal breaker for me.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:59:48 GMT
"Dave you forgot to put 'In theory' at the start of that sentence. If digital distribution from Sony has taught me anything it's that just because something should be cheaper it doesn't mean that it actually will be."

Fair point. But the ridiculous digital prices you see this gen Astro are related to second hand games being available. Hopefully they would be competitive if the 2nd hand market ceased to exist.

49.99 for a new game on PSN is mental though. Always makes me lol.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:06:18 GMT
Bozz says:
IF they were to block second hand games and go 100% digital, and games were 29.99 on release, I would be a happy man to be honest

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 15:07:27 GMT
"If this kind of deal was to be put to paper in a binding document I would think it would be leaked all over the net."

And also highly illegal and liable to get both companies mahoosive fines for forming a cartel.

"I honestly believe it will be easier to develop for the new Xbox and will attract small developers."

Rumour says MS are retiring the programming language used for Xbox live games, seen a few indie developers who have commented that it's a stupid move and will make developing an indie game for the console a lot harder.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 15:08:30 GMT
I'd be with you on that Bozz.

Lets just get rid of physical copies! if music can why can't games.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:13:34 GMT
just to say - if i buy a next gen console, (i almost certainly will) then it will be a ps4.

"Sounds like Sony have the upper hand so far if these rumours are to be believed"

why? - have sony said they WON'T always be online with the ps4 and the ps4 WILL play 2nd hand games?

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:16:36 GMT
If MS and Sony were both going to block second hand games and require you to be online at all times, then I'd see very little point in the next gen consoles. All the restrictions of PC DRM, but with none of the benefits of PC gaming... may as well invest in a gaming PC.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:19:50 GMT
Interesting stuff. Could you imagine if both M$ and Sony kill preowned! GAME would be full of second hand Nintendo games, then a few second hand Vita games on the side.

But if they do kill second hand, that wouldnt be an issue if they just lower the damn prices! New ps360 game 40-50. New PC, with no second hand to contend with 20-35. Then the games quickly drop in price, eg
Splinter Cell Conviction (PC DVD) PC 4

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Xbox 360) Xbox 10.

60% cheaper on PC!

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:21:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 15:42:29 GMT
P. Maurice says:
Always on also sounds like a bad premise for the dreaded in game advertising let alone more of it. Always online would be major set back if it's needed to play games and dissallow offline play. I think counter trading would be the sinker for Microsoft. I'll wait for the horses mouth too to decide a buy or not.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:23:59 GMT
"Less powerful, more difficult to develop with - The latter is a reverse of this gen which would be a huge mistake by MS"

i thought the ps3 (compared to the 360) is more difficult to develop for AND more powerful :p

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:27:56 GMT
"i thought the ps3 (compared to the 360) is more difficult to develop for AND more powerful :p"

Hense why he said the latter of which :p

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:34:26 GMT
touche lol

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:46:46 GMT
I for one would not want 100% digital. I like the physical copy in my hand, its much more special that way.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 15:51:02 GMT
"I for one would not want 100% digital. I like the physical copy in my hand, its much more special that way."

Would you not love your 75 limited edition digital steel box complete with 3d onscreen figurine and downloadable ebook? That would look great on my tv :p

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 16:03:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 16:04:13 GMT
I used to say the same thing about music and reading. Now though I can't remember when I last bought a CD and everything I read now is on my kindle. I get where you're coming from but I think it's just separation anxiety.

Saying that I still collect vinyl. But that's just a sickness though, lol.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 16:10:29 GMT
AndyBSG says:
"I can't remember when I last bought a CD and everything I read now is on my kindle"

The big difference there though is that you have a choice of retailers so there's genuine market competition driving prices down. I can get books for my Kindle from dozens of different sites and music from probably hundreds.

Currently if I want a digital game for my PS3 the only place I can buy it is off of PSN which is why the prices on there are so ridiculously high.

For the public to buy into digital only games there needs to be the ability to buy them from different retailers. Maybe the answer is that places like HMV can sell 'digital codes' for games so you can go online and decide if you want to buy it from Amazon, HMV, GAME, etc based on who is selling for the best price and get a code that you then enter in the PSN store?

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 16:14:06 GMT
There are quite a few places you can order PC digital purchases i guess, maybe Sony and Microsoft will do a similar sales tactic.
Allow the games to be 'bought' and activated from 3rd party sites?

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 16:18:33 GMT
I'm fine with digital only games. About 50% of my PC games are from Steam. I was just making a joke about the fact that you can buy "deluxe" or "limited" editions of digital games. Theres no way a digital game can be called "limited" it is by definition a digital COPY, theres not a finite number of digital copies to download. I for one love getting a decent LE version of a game and will miss it when they stop selling physical copies.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  328
Initial post:  6 Feb 2013
Latest post:  15 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions