Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Kinect- less Xbox One starting to ship

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 152 posts in this discussion
Posted on 13 May 2014 18:42:35 BDT
R says:
Best move they could make IMO. And now I'm tempted but at £350, which is what u can get it for with Kinect or thereabouts, is still far too high for me. £250-280 and I'll buy one instantly.

Posted on 13 May 2014 18:42:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2014 18:44:07 BDT
But let this be lesson to all of you Bauer is always right !!

I just need to see more of price reduction like R, then I'll be Xboxing it too!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 19:44:52 BDT
Fairly certain it was that they'd be on sale Kinect-less by the start of the Spring. Then I allowed you to have up to the start of June. No idea tbh was a while back - let's both spend a tenner on our kid/kids and call it a draw.

Posted on 13 May 2014 19:49:35 BDT
djburty says:
no real surprise - gamers weren't really into the kinect or Move with 360 or ps3 and i saw no reason why they would be interested in this gen. i didn't get a camera with the ps4 and have not missed it at all. nintendo caught the market for motion sensor controllers at exactly the right time, but i reckon that time is now past with the explosion of gaming on phones and tablets.

the traditional controller does the job very well and i reckon its here to stay until immersive VR fully arrives. i'm unsure whether microsoft can reverse the damage done with including expensive non-vital tech with the xbo - but i agree that the price needs to drop a bit more to get people interested.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 19:58:57 BDT
It's also a little humorous that you don't think Sony know exactly how many times a promotion has been clicked on a PS4.

I think it's a bit far of spying on you in the living room.

But hey ho

Still not moved to next gen but I think if prefer the kinect model. I do think they probably made a good move though

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 21:34:59 BDT
noblood says:
"It's also a little humorous that you don't think Sony know exactly how many times a promotion has been clicked on a PS4."

I never said Sony were innocent, please don't misquote me. However, Sony has not been linked to the NSA that I know of, unlike MS.

Without compelling Kinect games or real investment in them, it is becoming more likely that Kinects primary use was always for something else.

Their initial insistence of the mandatory Kinect camera pointing at you and your family was insidious.

If they are tracking voice commands, as proven by their press statement, who's to say they are not capturing video/still captures to provide you with targeted ads/recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 23:35:49 BDT
It's a little big brother but

Maybe I just don't buy it, maybe I'm wrong

The point is redundant I suppose now anyway.

I think I was just indicating that MS can pull data without actually watching the pictures every night.

Can you imagine the processing power and storage needed to take pictures and analyse them?

As said I don't buy it

I was hoping for a bigger price drop if this ever happened though?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2014 23:57:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2014 23:58:51 BDT
J. Morgan says:
"I was hoping for a bigger price drop if this ever happened though"?

It's not even a price drop. It's just making official what retailers have been doing for the last two months. While delivering less.
Last month you could have bought one with TitanFall and Kinect for £350 (or less) from June 9th you will get the base unit with no kinect for £350.

What they will do with the 3 million + kinects is anyones guess.

Posted on 14 May 2014 00:17:33 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 14 May 2014 05:38:38 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 00:22:36 BDT
noblood says:
"I think I was just indicating that MS can pull data without actually watching the pictures every night.

Can you imagine the processing power and storage needed to take pictures and analyse them?"

Its entirely possible for the Kinect to store and upload stills taken of you that contain barcodes of products on your coffee table.
Like you say, this can all be automated.

As for the processing power and storage, that's in the cloud of course (sorry ;-) ).

Kinect could have been great if there was no ulterior motive for it. At least that's what I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 00:27:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2014 00:31:33 BDT
Ness says:
I think the people complaining about price is down to the fact that you could get an XB1 with Kinect, Titanfall, another XB1 game out of CoD Ghosts of Kinect Sports Rivals, an extra official controller and a year of XBL Gold for just £400 on here last month. The console on it's own for £350 now looks like a right rip off. This is the problem when a product fails in the marketplace and retailers start to do their own sales to get rid of stock. An official price cut after that point rarely works to improves sales to a significant degree.

If Sony are smart and price drop by even $50/£50 at E3 then I think MS are going to be in serious trouble this generation and might even struggle to hit original XBOX numbers (24 million) because of the momentum Sony will have. Early momentum is a massive factor with regards to getting market share which is why you are seeing MS get rid of Kinect just six months after launch (after going on and on about how they couldn't remove it), price dropping by a whopping $100/£80 and making this announcement a whole month before E3.

Anything is possible though and Halo is still an incredibly popular brand in America although it's going to be November 2015 until the next new Halo sequel arrives.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 00:29:02 BDT
Ness says:
"What they will do with the 3 million + kinects is anyones guess."

I think they will start to sell them separately for those interested in the device. No way they are just going to take a $300 million loss on them even if they are MS.

Posted on 14 May 2014 08:57:21 BDT
This close to E3 makes me think MS have some big games and some "only on xbox" experiences to announce and with this out of the way the focus should only about the games - hope Sony have an answer to that.

Posted on 14 May 2014 09:11:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2014 09:36:45 BDT
R says:
"It's not even a price drop. "

The RRP is the US has been dropped by $100. Here it's been dropped £50, because the UK received a price drop when the US didn't. So the price retailers will sell it at will be less than the new RRP - as it is now at the current RRP.

I still cannot believe people are still talking about XBox One spying on you. It doesn't even need to be connected. Much like the PS Eye doesn't need to be connected. The forced Kinect was u-turned soon after E3 - but yet people are still banging on about it like it's important and how nasty MS are. It really is funny.

E3 will be very interesting. I think MS have realized their mistakes, they god rid of that Mctrick guy (or whatever his name is) and I hope now their emphasis is fully concentrated on gaming - which is good for us albeit we still have people banging on about MS spying on us. E3 will be all telling and the next 12 months could see a reversal in fortune for XB1 - if they release good games I'm absolutely sure XB1 will sell well. Games - that's what it's all about isn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 09:13:16 BDT
RAB says:
"Kinect could have been great if there was no ulterior motive for it. At least that's what I think."

And of course MS's evil NSA overlords are gonna say "That's cool, we don't really care about you getting rid of our spycams, you care about your bottom line, of course, do what you like."

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 10:28:14 BDT
J. Morgan says:
Would not be suprised if this was driven by retail pressure. It's not just the UK where retailers have been running their own deals to shift stock.
This is why a £350 price tag is meh. But it does give retailers more room to lower prices, although in the case of the Wii U , they just cut the orders when the price drop never really ammounted to much.

I don't know about you, but I'll be buying all my multiplats on the PS4. I'm sure I'll get an X1 at some point (just like I'll get a Wii U) but I'm in no rush.

@ Ness Until Sony can normalise the supply/demand chain there is no point lowering the price. Even if they cut £50 off the price, no point doing that until there are enough units in reserve to capitalise on it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 10:45:08 BDT
R says:
"Would not be surprised if this was driven by retail pressure. It's not just the UK where retailers have been running their own deals to shift stock. "

It's quite common for retailers to sell under the RRP. That's competition. And of course lowing prices is driven by competition and need to shift stock. That's why, going back to MS, they have removed Kinect - to sell more consoles. A $100 lowering is a big reduction in the US. And here we'll likely see consoles and bundles £50 less than what they are now. So once things have settled down a bit I suspect the XB1 will sell for around £330 until the next RRP price drop - which could well be announced at E3, who knows.

"I don't know about you, but I'll be buying all my multiplats on the PS4. I'm sure I'll get an X1 at some point (just like I'll get a Wii U) but I'm in no rush."

I'm not getting a WiiU - I don't see the point unless you're into Nintendo games. I'm not into Nintendo games and all the multiplats are on XB1 and PS4 so a Wiiu is waste of money for me. I'll likely get my multiplats on PS4 but if multiplat games essentially look the same on both XB1 and PS4 then it won't matter to me. Exclusive DLC might swing it one way or another. However, as all of my mates are on PS4 now, as opposed to 360 on last gen, then if there is any multiplayer aspect to a game I will probably get it on PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 10:52:12 BDT
noblood says:
Cue the evil world domination laugh...

Seriously, I wasn't suggesting that the Kinect is for NSA's benefit.

I think the motive was always for MS to make more money out of you by building up a profile of what you watch, like, play, share, record etc.

Game preference profile is one thing, but throw in TV/movie data by encouraging you to route your TV devices via the XB1, and the data is more valuable.

Who they sell that data to is anyone's guess.

Anyway, back on topic.

-----------------------

Since US did not have a price drop in March like the UK, the new price represents a more attractive deal to them.

MS losing in sales on their home turf is a big embarrassment for them, and not one the shareholders would have been happy about.

By announcing the price drop almost 1 month ahead of E3, MS have effectively shown their hand and given Sony plenty of time to counter it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announce a £50 drop in the PS4 price at E3.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 10:56:57 BDT
B RIVERBOAT says:
this makes me happy : ) I would have bought an xboxone if kinect was an optional extra at the start and I wonder how many gamers all over the world were in the same boat as me...probably a whole load, the numbers dont lie I guess. Microsoft made a total balls up imo but now I will gladly buy the xone for Halo 5, 6, 7 and the Halo prequel trilogy which is inevitable. This is a good day for all former xboxers who were forced to jump ship to the Sony Camp and took a stand against required kinect..
Phil Spencer is the hero we all deserve lol

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 11:03:15 BDT
""Kinect could have been great if there was no ulterior motive for it. At least that's what I think."

I heard the reason that MS have dropped the Kinect is that the American government are sick of watching Russ pleasuring him self to 'Property Ladder' !

Posted on 14 May 2014 11:07:19 BDT
Sanchez says:
But now there won't be a reason to say XBox Sign Out when someone says something in sensor range, AND people will not have to say XBox Stop Listening all the time. This has changed gaming for ever.

Posted on 14 May 2014 11:09:57 BDT
"I'm not getting a WiiU - I don't see the point unless you're into Nintendo games"

Theres no point owning a Nintendo unless you like Nintendo games, theres very few non 1st party exclusives. Only one on Wii U is ZombiiU, which is really good, but not worth buying a console for.

I'm very pleased with my Wii U and I think this gen I'll be PC and Wii U until I can get a PS4 for ~£200, especially if Project Beast turns out to be Demons Souls 2.

Posted on 14 May 2014 11:45:55 BDT
J. Morgan says:
Some of my favourite games are on Nintendo platforms. Just not very many of them.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2014 11:49:33 BDT
I'd say of my top 10 games of all time, at least 5 are Nintendo. But that doesnt mean all I want i Nintendo, without PS3 I wouldnt have Demons Souls, without Xbox I wouldnt have Halo, without PC I wouldnt have Guild Wars 2, so because I dont want to splash another £1000 on consoles this gen I've decided that I'm sticking to PCs and having a Nintendo on the side.

Posted on 14 May 2014 12:08:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2014 12:09:55 BDT
Good on MS - at least they are listening and making changes to their proposition. The chance of me getting an XbOne have went from "no chance" to "maybe at some point". Once there are 4/5 exclusives that float my boat I'll dive in. I reckon Phil Spencer would have made this his number one priority when he stepped into his new role. Removing the paywall for Netflix etc is also a good move.

Its a shame Nintendo didnt react as quickly to feedback and poor sales. They should have ditched the gamepad by now.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  36
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  13 May 2014
Latest post:  13 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions