Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Wii U will not be able to keep up with Ps3/Xbox360.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 253 posts in this discussion
Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:14:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 12:16:00 BDT
John Morris says:
Nicholas,

Jist check the software sales for big wii titles and you will realise you are wrong.

And to be fair it's not just the casuals that bought the wii as nintendo have a huge fanbase that likes it's products.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:22:19 BDT
I can't see a lot of the casual market trading in their Wii for a Wii on U. A lit of the women who I know whI bought DS Lites never upgraded to the dsi or 3ds. So whilst the Wii on Ur Dog will sell it will be nowhere near as popular as the Wii.

I for one will not be buying any more Nintendo hardware. My kids (11,9,7)all enjoy the 360, especially the indie games section so it's a no sale in my house.

If Ubisoft made AC a Wii on U Dad exclusive I'd wave goodbye to my favourite franchise.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:27:31 BDT
John Morris says:
The total software sales for each of the current consoles is as follows.

Xbox 360 353.8 million units.
Ps3 568.1 million units.
Wii 716.09 million units.

So conclusive proof that nintendo does not know what it's doing and is doomed !

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:32:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 12:35:56 BDT
Let's face it, the Wii has been a financial success but a gaming non-entity when you compare it to the prestige of its predecessors. History will judge it poorly.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 12:35:59 BDT
Nick. says:
But then factor in the like to like figures per console. They are MUCH lower.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 12:38:17 BDT
Conclusive proof? Not really, they're just a load of numbers that for all anyone knows you've just made up, maybe you'd like to let everyone know where you got those from?

You're also assuming that everyone who's bought a Wii will buy a WiiU, something that I think is very unlikely.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:39:04 BDT
Bunny says:
I wouldn't agree that the Wii is a gaming non-entity, as both my 4 yr old and my 10 month old enjoy playing games on it....... although admittedly my 10 month old just hits the buttons, shakes the controller and laughs at the screen.

Another funny thing the Wii has brought us was the footage of E3 the other year, it was priceless. The one where they demonstrated Wii sports resort to a room full of game journo's/enthusiasts. I laughed so hard when they showed the sword fighting, and tried to make it look fun to a room full of people who thought it was a joke. Talk about losing a room lol

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:45:42 BDT
one2escape says:
The Darksiders 2 developer was also hinting at the WiiU was underspeced as well.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:50:02 BDT
John Morris says:
Andy,

If I were making figures up I would have made the differences higher.

I guess by your figures even the vita is a success.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:55:12 BDT
So where are those figures from?

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:55:35 BDT
Nessy says:
5 Reasons NOT to buy a Wii U -

1. Weak Hardware.
2. Gimmick Controller.
3. No Analogue Triggers on Controller.
4. Little to no Third Party Support.
5. Nintendo games are just remakes every generation.

FACT... ! ;).

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:55:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 12:57:55 BDT
... says:
John you are the first guy ever to post wii sales figures on this forum, that was brand new info. (If you have a sarcasm detector it must be going mental right about now) But the truth of the matter is that regardless of if it had sold 10 times as many as the figures you quoted - Most of the members of the Amazon games forum would still think it was pony, didn't have enough good games and wasn't as good as what Sony and MS done this gen. That's not ignorance IMO, it's being well informed.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:59:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 13:02:17 BDT
John Morris says:
Listen we all know the new Ps3 and xbox will be more powerful than the wii u,but until all machines are released we will not know for sure how much,I am guessing however this time round the difference will not be as great.

Of course history shows us that having the most powerful hardware does not mean you will have the best sales.

Paul,

All the figures hardware and software can be found on many internet sites.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:00:38 BDT
Bozz says:
"Of course history shows us that having the most powerful hardware does not mean you will have the best sales."

But it does mean you have the biggest penis...FACT!

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:00:42 BDT
RAB says:
One Direction are the greatest musical act ever to reach America.

Their sales figures say so.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:02:12 BDT
Those figures may well be correct because of the amount of copies Just Dance and Zumba etc shift but as Andy pointed out, they are no indication of how well the WiiU will sell.

Whilst I'm not interested in WiiU myself I hope it sells well for Ninty but I'm not sure who they are aiming it at or if they going for both casual and hardcore gamers now. Most core gamers will probably want to stick with PS and/or Xbox next gen and the many people who have a Wii for Dance/Fitness games will know they don't need a new more powerful console to make themselves look stupid in front of. That leaves those who buy Ninendo hardware for the likes of Mario Galaxy, Kart and Zelda only which I'd have though isn't a massive overall percentage of current Wii owners.

Then again if someone had described the Wii before it went on sale I'd have said it'd have gone the way of the Virtual Boy.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:03:32 BDT
John Morris says:
Nessay,

I assume you are joking.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 13:04:09 BDT
"Xbox 360 353.8 million units.
Ps3 568.1 million units.
Wii 716.09 million units."

I call you out on these.
"Total Wii games sold as of March 31, 2011: 716.09 million"
"Total Xbox 360 games sold as of December 2009: 353.8 million"
"Total PlayStation 3 games sold as of March 16, 2012: 568.1 million"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

If you're going to quote figures at least try not to be so misleading. They're from totally different time periods.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 13:05:08 BDT
Oh so I guess we should just take your word for it then? I suppose that even after you've been asked for the source the fact you refuse to credit it lends even more authority to your claim as well?

Where did I even mention the Vita or even any figures? Is your point and claims that weak that you need to change the subject to distract from it?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 13:05:50 BDT
Trigger says:
Where'd you get that link - because I'm fairly sure the 360 has shifted a lot more software than the PS3, so I smell bull****.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:07:39 BDT
John Morris says:
Stopharage,

To be fair it's even sold better when you consider that the wii has another years sales on the Ps3.

But no matter what way you look at it the wii has performed better,not bad for a underpowered console.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2012 13:08:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 13:10:28 BDT
Tel look at the dates. The PS3 sales cover over 2 years longer than the 360 ones.

EDIT: Just realised you were responding to a earlier post and probably haven't seen Lill's yet, never mind.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:10:59 BDT
To be fair, you gave an inaccurate picture of software sales, relying on Wikipedia to provide you with comparable data. Schoolboy error thereby making your entire argument redundant. Software sales don't include DLC sales, arcade game sales etc etc. Success for consoles is not judged in software sales any more.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:13:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 13:14:02 BDT
I have to agree with the arguement that Wii owners will not automatically buy a Wii U the wayu we would a PS4.....all the Dads, Grandmas and middle aged women who bought the Wii in their millions will never buy the Wii U ... they have ther Wii and Wii FIT . They are not drove to have the latest gaming gadget, they bought the Wii cause it was the must have gadget... massive generalisation i know but I bet its true.

Not to mention that article also said the Wii U will offer nothing you cant do with a PS3 and Vita combo .. so thats the Hardcore market out to.

They will sell at least 2 tho .. both to Nessy ; ) .. joking mate .. Mozza maye have one too ; )

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 13:13:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 13:14:24 BDT
John Morris says:
Stopharage,

You mean that software sales figures do not count when your preffered machine is not winning ?

I bet you had a different tune back in the Ps2 days.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  44
Total posts:  253
Initial post:  3 Apr 2012
Latest post:  11 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions