Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Dead Space 3 Impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 171 posts in this discussion
Posted on 16 Jun 2012 16:59:15 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Gibeau: Dead Space 3 is "Not Getting Away From Gore or Horror but... Opening up to a Larger Audience"

15/6/2012

Based off of what we've seen of Dead Space 3 thus far, Visceral games is clearly taking the series in a much more action-heavy direction. Fans of horror games have grown concerned about this change in direction, but Frank Gibeau from Electronic Arts has spoken out to calm the fears Dead Space loyalists.

In an interview with CVG, Gibeau admitted that the move toward more action was done to open up the franchise to a wider audience; however, the game will still retain the same level of horror seen in prior entries.

What we've tried to do with each instalment is tell a different story about Isaac but at the same time bring in new features and ways to turn the game into a more connected experience ... so we embraced [the co-op] idea and we tried to open up the accessibility of the IP a little bit by adding a little bit more action, but not undermining the horror.

We can't not be a horror game because that's what Dead Space is ... and at the same time we definitely do not want to piss off our fans by taking it too far from horror.

From what we saw of the game at E3 last week, it looks like EA and Visceral are on the right track in striking that happy balance between action and horror. If you haven't already done so, be sure to read our preview on the game right here.

Gibeau went on to add that they're carefully considering the feedback from fans, saying:

We listen to the fans and we hear them. We're going to be releasing more assets over the coming months that show you how deep the horror is. It's definitely not getting away from gore or horror, but at the same time it's opening up to a larger audience by adding some elements.

In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.

Dead Space 3 is set to release in February of next year for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 17:02:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 17:03:15 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"I recently read somewhere that Visceral were allegedly thinking about giving the player one save in HC mode. Would've been interesting!"

Please.. No. That would put me on the verge of insanity.

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 18:22:17 BDT
Seconded. 3 saves was totally horrific. I just wouldn't even try to do a one save run through. The torture and pain isn't worth it...probably for a poxy 50G

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 07:30:24 BDT
1 save? bring it on i say :D

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:04:07 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Let the mental torture commence.. ;)

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:42:53 BDT
Filthy masochists

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:43:57 BDT
RAB says:
Pffft. I did it in one sitting.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:45:44 BDT
How about no saves? ;).

Posted on 1 Feb 2013 11:55:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2013 11:56:13 GMT
Dead Space 3 Has 11 Pieces of Day One DLC

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/01/dead-space-3-has-11-pieces-of-day-one-dlc

Really taking the biscuit there.

What happened to the old EA motto - "It's in the game"?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2013 12:00:54 GMT
Bunga says:
Christ, that's awful.

Posted on 1 Feb 2013 22:18:40 GMT
Gash

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 09:45:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2013 11:30:50 GMT
I really wanted this for the story, but they've really milked the franchise. First with the day 1 dlc, apparently it wont affect the gathering of resources in game if you don't buy them. BS. They must have made it harder and boring to tempt people into the dlc. Also bringing microtransactions into the game, you can send out a bot for resources, or use the 'pay money for resources button', which is not only despicable for a full price game, but also breaks immersion in the game.

I am interested in the story, but it seems with these changes they've brought in, it just doesn't look as tense anymore.

Edit: fixed my typos :s

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 10:01:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2013 12:13:48 GMT
Solar Fox says:
I agree Cihan. I also played the demo and although it has some impressive visuals it does lack tension even in sp due to open areas and maybe a predictable expectation. It still has the jump out of your seat moments now and again, although the general feeling of fear seems to have been diluted going by the demo.

I'm sure Gaz has read that with an 'i told you so' nod and smile to himself. :)

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 12:04:37 GMT
I think we should avoid this game to make a point that the direction they've gone with is not we want. I was going to buy it, but now I'll just skip and wait for BioShock infinite :)

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 12:13:02 GMT
Crixus says:
Nice thought Cihan but not going to work, people been saying this about CoD for years but it's still always the most sold game in a year :)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 12:24:28 GMT
You're correct about that. I'm even to blame with cod, I haven't really enjoyed it after mw2, yet kept buying them. However this year I won't. And yes, the people who are set on buying dead space will still get it, but people on the fence as I was should give it extra thought. I'll just watch a let's play online if the story really intrigues me at one point, because the gameplay doesn't look to be too special anymore.

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 12:28:20 GMT
Crixus says:
"yet kept buying them. However this year I won't"

I bet you've said that before though ;)

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 12:41:42 GMT
I did, but I cannot tell you how much I despised black ops2, and it made me realise how I've always said I won't get the next one. So this year, I'll resist... Hopefully :P

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 20:23:40 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
I hate that as well, we are making it more mainstream to appeal to more people rubbish, its the fact its different that makes it so good.

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 00:30:07 GMT
Oh look DS3 is more action and with co-op. Looks around at the sales of Resi 6. Yep, in no way will that backfire.

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 11:34:46 GMT
Avatouir says:
Am I the only person who actually liked the DS3 demo?

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 13:57:59 GMT
I played the demo, I know I went into it against it, but I didn't enjoy it, then a mate told me that there will be human enemies in the game and that confirmed that they've really done all they can to destroy this franchise.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 13:58:56 GMT
Crixus says:
I thought the demo was ok, the bit where you were shooting the drill and more necros were coming after you was similar to bits in the previous games, a lot of tension and aaah moments.

Were't there human enemies in 2?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 14:27:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2013 14:28:17 GMT
Yup, the Human enemies part of the Demo was the absolute worst section for me, where I had to crouch behind cover a la Gears of war, but it felt clunky and badly designed, I think it was mistep to put this in and I worry there will be much more of it in the main game.

In fact the only bit of the Demo that I did not like and for me did not feel like Deadspace.

Still plan to get this at weekend though

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 14:46:30 GMT
Solar Fox says:
I think a good example of open/outside areas feeling less tense and scary can be demonstrated in the film Aliens.

There's that scene where the marines first experience the aliens attack. It's chaotic, tense with guns blazing and a fight for survival. Usually in films they balance out an intense scene with a calm scene so the audience can catch their breath and evaluate the events, so to speak. In aliens they did this by having a scene where the surviving marines waited outside in an open area for the drop ship to arrive. During this scene the feeling of claustraphobic intensity had all but gone. They were outside, and with good visibility all around them and no sense of confined panic. This is a good example of why having DS3 outside on the planet Tau Volantis takes away from the tense, scary atmosphere of the first DS imo.

I don't know how much of DS3 is played outside in the open, but the demo sure did show that intense atmosphere had been greatly diluted due to being set outside. Doesn't mean the game is bad, but my understanding of the USP of these games were it's intense survival horror atmosphere. If that atmosphere is taken away to a certain level then i'm not sure how different this game will be to all those other 3rd person sci-fi shooters out there.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  171
Initial post:  13 Jun 2012
Latest post:  11 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions