Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

EA looking for new ways to improve their income,ROFL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 Mar 2012 15:53:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 16:05:57 BDT
Cactus Dave says:
Same goes with CDs, DVDs and the rest of the second hand market so i wont shed a tear for EA, only buy a game on pre-order if i know its going to be a game i like, but if its just a casual shoot em up or something along those lines, will buy second hand every time, unfortanately thats most of EAs games, just bought fifa 11 for £3 so why would you pay £40 pound, dont get me wrong if its someone like a small company like projekt red who are willing to give you free content and keep the game fresh, perfect example is mass effect 3 multi player you can spend game credits on bonuses that you earn in the game, or you take the lazy route and pay out microsoft points for mods and weapons, and they do exactly the same thing in fifa, so how can a company like projekt red, not charge you for any dlc when they are a small polish company, but a massive company like EA feels obliged to charge for literaly everything.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 16:14:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 17:21:39 BDT
Why does every seem to think that new games always cost £40!!!!

It's the same crap always trawled out in the second hand vs new argument. Look at mass effect 3, £23.99 brand new on this website less than a month after release.

Of course £3 is better than £40 but no way would anyone have the bare faced cheek to charge £40 for last years FIFA, not even game at their worst would have done that. On Amazon their us a market place seller selling FIFA 11 on ps3 for £4.97. Even with postage surely that's cheaper than £3 second hand as I'm sure you'll need to buy an online pass.

Same thing with the old 'I'll only pay £40 for must have games'. Fair point but then if you fancy picking up an older game later down the road then it's not likely to be £40 anymore, especially SP heavy games which drop in price very quickly after the initial launch sales.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 17:05:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 17:06:18 BDT
Nessy says:
I agree with Sanchez and Wayne on this, i have no problem paying £10 for an online pass to play a game that has a MP mode if i chose to buy it second hand, it actually just encourages people to buy it new, i bought BF3 for the 360 the other day brand new for £30, it was £25 pre owned so it actually worked out cheaper to buy it new as i only wanted it for the MP.

These companies were always going to start clamping down hard on pre owned games eventually, why should Game, Gamestop, Amazon and Play ect get rich off taking a cut of the companies second hand games and the developers and publishers don't get a cent ?.

I read once that for every copy of CoD sold, it is played by roughly 5 different people, pre owed sales, friends ect. If BLOPS 2 doesn't have an online pass i will be very suprised.

Were lucky every game isn't locked to each console as it is and not like on PC where once you input your code into Steam that's that and you can never sell it or loan it to a mate.

DLC is different as it's completely optional, your paying your original £35 - £40 RRP for the SP game and if its online, your online pass. The rest is optional and just part of gaming nowadays.

The only thing i don't agree with is that you have to be online to play games as Broadband signals can drop from time to time, imagine that inbetween saves !.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 17:26:54 BDT
Hubbard says:
I just don't like 'boosts' being available to buy. TW13 isn't even out yet you can already pay £43 for 280,000 credits. Unbalances the MP and ruins any skill and progression.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 17:31:09 BDT
Nessy says:
Agree Hubbard, KZ3 MP was ruined for me by people who bought the special edition having everything unlocked for the first few days, totally unbalanced the MP.

Thats sort of thing and having to buy DLC for a proper ending is well out of order.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 17:35:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 17:40:18 BDT
Personally I think any game that progressively lets you unlock better weapons etc is unbalanced anyway (and is often brutally unfair to newcomers) so for me whether someone plays the game to unlock weapons or pays money to do so isn't really an issue.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 17:59:49 BDT
Totally agree with Adam. All MP is unfair to a certain degree as unless you buy a game on release and play it to death to get the unlocks then anyone coming into a game a month or so after release is always at a disadvantage. What then Happens is six months later most games end up with a small online community of hardcore only players.

I wish we could go back to the days of quake III and unreal tournament where everyone started the game with the same basic weapon and any decent upgraded weapons were simply pick ups. This meant that the only advantage a seasoned player had was knowledge of the maps which is fair enough if you play regularly.

The only games that do this to my knowledge this gen are gears of war and halo. Gears everyone can choose from a basic weapon list regardless of whether you are rank 1 or rank 100 and all power weapons are pick ups in game and only last for that game. Halo everyone starts with a basic machine gun and it's the same with power weapons, they are in game pick ups.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 18:08:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 18:09:36 BDT
Nessy says:
The unlocking new weapons, attatchments, kill streaks and game modes as you level up is one of the reasons Call of Duty and games that copy it are so addictive and successful imo.

You will find that every MP FPS offers you one of the fairy decent guns as a pre made class whatever level you are.

Some of the first weapons you get in the CoD and BF games are amongst the best weapons in the game.

There are games as Wayne said where you get the same weapons no matter what level you are, thats why Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Halo and Counter Strike are still used in pro tournaments to this day.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 18:53:30 BDT
Mr W says:
I hate the whole DLC thing, its just pure greed, and I wont shed a tear for the "poor" games developers like EA, buying and selling used games has been around for as long as I can remember , since the likes of the Atari 2600 , NES, SNES, Game Boy, Sega master system, megadrive, PS1, PS2 and that never was a big issue then. although thankfully there was no online for all the above then , except a limited amount for PS2.

I even remember a games swap by post service being a common sight offered in games mags around 20years back. For around £2.50 you could swap your game for another for the same console. I remember swapping numerous SNES and Game Boy games this way as they cost a fortune to buy back then, todays prices are cheap in comparison. IE around £25/£30 for a game boy game and £30-£70 for a SNES game Street fighter 2 was the dearest game on the SNES at £69.99.
As Sim city is my all time favourite PC game it saddens me that EA are thinking of new ways to charge for in game items, so I wont be buying it if they do. they already do this in the ios app store , charging for everything even after you paid for the game. Not for me I'll stick to running sim city 4 on my XP netbook. and the whole DLC thing should be outlawed.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 22:00:43 BDT
Did anyone notice that about 7 posts were all deleted at once ???
How does that happen ???

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 22:10:23 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
Ok, but what about games that have pretty ordinary tagged on MP modes now - I guess I mean games that started life as SP games and have somehow ended up with MP components. Every MP game has an online pass now - is it really worth £10 to play ME3 online? The biggest joke is some games, Tiger Woods 12 on PS3 I'm looking at you, would have charged £10 for an online pass for a game that blatantly didn't work online and was never patched to fix it.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 22:16:28 BDT
Hey Rodders,

The argument has reared its head before about online passes and how SP version of games should be released at a cheaper price.
For example, if you play Battlefield 3 and were only intersted in the SP portion, should it not be cheaper if you don't want the MP code to get online??
Also, when games move to digital downloads with no disks, manuals, etc - will the price reflect this new method of purchasing ??

E

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 07:56:17 BDT
Nick says:
I agree. Uncharted 2 had the same(ish) system. You all started with the same weapon, but you did have perks.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 11:09:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012 11:10:42 BDT
Why would anyone pay to reload a gun? How is that better or quicker than pressing X or whatever and reloading it yourself? It wouldn't suprise me if EA took the ammo packs from the support class out of future Battlefield games and introduced this pay to reload thing. A few times I've ran out of ammo for my primary gun and if it wasn't for ammo packs I would've been running about a map for someone else's kit.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:31:15 BDT
Hubbard says:
"Tiger Woods 12 on PS3 I'm looking at you, would have charged £10 for an online pass for a game that blatantly didn't work online and was never patched to fix it."

Still scarred from that PGA11 night. About 15 RATS dwindled down to 3 in a matter of minutes.

Potential plat stolen by a full lobby trophy!!!

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:38:00 BDT
The Ryder Cup trophy was a beeeatch Hubbs. Tried it a few more times with randoms and finally got it after 2 hours of join lobby/kicked from lobby/join lobby/ad infinitum.

Tiger 13 however is a joy. Lobby up straight away, no disconnects and comms have been good.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:40:37 BDT
Hubbard says:
I'm very temped to get 13, but after playing the demo it seems the series has moved so far away from me. I don't have a clue how to play it!

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 16:11:57 BDT
Sir Rodders says:
The game does a pitiful job of explaining how all the new swing mechanics work as well. Mind you some of them aren't as new as they make out.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  28 Mar 2012
Latest post:  31 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions