Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Achievements/Trophies Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 401-425 of 439 posts in this discussion
Posted on 2 Apr 2012 09:20:27 BDT
As an Xbox gamer myself grayfox I can't get plats but Incan max a games achievement list and have it on my maxed out games part if the xbox dashboard. I try to only max my favourite games out but have a few others that were done as they were quite easy. I can't be bothered with anything that's a grind and I won't spend hours boosting online achievements.

To compare my achievements to the PS3 trophies I have 34 games maxed out plus another 3 which have the the original achievements jaded out just not the dlc ones so I would have 37 plats.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 09:32:07 BDT
I'd say you have a good balance there Grayfox.

If it gets to the point where you are buying/renting rubbish games just to up your gamerscore then you should know you've got a problem. I played a lot of games I didnt like just for the gamerscore, which kinda took the fun out of playing games for me, it sort of became an obsession.

But after about a year of plugging away I only ended up with about 45k, I thought that was quite a lot until I read Waynes posts. :p

But each to their own, since I have a ps3 now I'll be spending time playing some of the games I missed out on (Ratchet and clank, Uncharted etc) but I doubt I'll be going for the plat as trophies just dont seem as nice as 360 achievements to me.

So I doubt I would care if I lost all my gamerscore now, a year ago I would have been upset but now I try to focus on just playing the games for fun.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 09:37:14 BDT
Equinox80 says:
Overall I like what achievements/trophies have added to gaming this gen. When I first got my Xbox I didn't pay much attention to achievements but soon started looking at my completion percentages and slowly became more obsessed. They're not the be all, end all for me but I do like to get as many as I can and will certainly play a game for longer than I otherwise would have (for example Forza 3 - 120 hours plus for the 1000G).

On the downside, I have become less inclined to try games out just in case I unlock one achievement/trophy and have 10/1000G sat on my record or the equivilant on the PS3. Being late to this gen of gaming, I'm never going to get 100,000G so I measure my own success by my overall completion percentage and having games with only one achievement/trophy unlock really drags this down. At the moment I'm 58% which isn't amazing but not bad but my aim is to get it up to 70% before the end of this gen.

I have 11 'properly' maxed out games on the 360 and one maxed out less 2 DLC cheevos (most I am proud of) plus 5 plats on the PS3 (all of which I am proud of) and the feeling of getting 1000G or a plat is immense. Due to an average skill level (compared to most on here) I don't max/plat a game that often so when I do it feels all the more special.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 09:58:05 BDT
The completion percentage is another factor as John points out. Mines at 61% and it will never be high as I'll not slog through a game I'm not enjoying just for achievement points. Got several games with 1/2 achievements that will stay like that as I'm never gonna play them again, Tom clancy's hawx and quake Wats I'm
Especially looking at you lol.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 10:30:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2012 10:31:09 BDT
Chri says:
I USED TO love what achievements/trophies have done it makes me feel i have gotten everything i can out of a game when i 100% it.

However after taking a long break from trophy hunting i have found myself sucked back into it...only worse now, I bought Deus ex awhile ago as nobody had anything bad to say about it. However i find myself now not so much playing the game for the enjoyment of the games it's just to get the 100% which is a problem because i hate that im doing that i want to just play the game and enjoy it, not constantly thinking where is my next trophy is. Really need to get out of it as it's spoiling what time i do get on it. I have an absolute shed load of games i need to start playing but i dont want to keep thinking like this as it kinda ruins it.................Think i need help!

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 10:59:30 BDT
Trigger says:
John - "On the downside, I have become less inclined to try games out just in case I unlock one achievement/trophy and have 10/1000G sat on my record or the equivilant on the PS3."

I definitely agree with this - I'm less inclined to give games a whirl that I'm unsure about, because there is this notion that a need a minimum number of trophies from every game for it to look worthwhile. On the other hand, I won't play through games I really don't like just for the trophies, but I would like to be able to remove some from my overall total if they're sitting at zero or say 2%.

Chris - "However i find myself now not so much playing the game for the enjoyment of the games it's just to get the 100%"

I usually read through trophy lists before or soon after I've I started the game, and I'll often note the easy ones which can be earned without playing outside my usual style or relatively easily (i.e. a certain number of melee attacks, finishing moves, time spent in air; that sort of thing). If there are ones which I know are going to be hard to do (like never being detected in Deus Ex: HR for instance) then I don't even bother going for them. I don't tend to replay games and I don't usually try for overly-difficult trophies. I still read through the lists, but don't concern myself with them too much I guess.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:12:16 BDT
I'm not all that bothered about achievements anymore. Possibly has a lot to do with the fact I've run out of stuff that I actually want to play(391 games played) As I have kids I've seen a lot of the kids games played by my wife and I've helped the kids with a few and broken controls or dodgy psychics mean I couldn't sit and play them. So it doesn't leave a whole host of games to play.

I however would love to have the likes of GTA4, FEAR and Saints Row's (5G) removed from my list as I've always liked the fact that I've run through the campaign of a high percent of games but these I just couldn't get even really start.

Despite saying earlier I'm not bothered by achievements I did cancel my Silent Hill HD pre-order once I saw the achievement list. Multiple ending achievements? Funk off.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:16:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Apr 2012 11:18:11 BDT
Equinox80 says:
"because there is this notion that a need a minimum number of trophies from every game for it to look worthwhile."

This is exactly it Tel. I try and get completion rates of games into at least double figures, but usually prefer to have 40% as a minimum. I've recently started ACII, MS:PR and Flower on the PS3 all of which are sat around the 8% mark so I'm keen to get these all up into double figures ASAP and then I'll play all of them 'properly' and whatever I end up with, I end up with.

I've got the likes of inFamous and LBP sat around at about 20%ish and keep meaning to go back to them but something else always seems to come along.

I recently borrowed Duke Nukem Forever on the 360 and thought there'd be a good chance I'd not like it so played it on my missus's account. I'm glad I did that otherwise I'd have 70/1000G on my list which I'd find very annoying but she doesn't mind thankfully.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 11:21:33 BDT
Prankster says:
I try my best to reach 60%. Once I have reached that figure, I'm a bit happier, lol. You can understand how frustrated I might have been when I struggled to 65% in RDR and the insane amount of DLC pushed me down to 52%. :D

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:23:17 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
I like the extra hours going for a plat can add to a game. I generally do a first playthrough without looking at the list and if I like the game enough I go back for the plat. My girlfriend plays as well and she has started going for plats. we have 50/51 between us. wont play a game just for trophies though. Im currently on skyrim which I will probably max out but its going to be well over 100 hours!

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:31:21 BDT
Mr Mojito says:
I don't get why you're all so bothered about having games on your list with only one or two trophies?? I rarely even look at my list let alone anyone else's!!

I can see what you're saying though as your trophy/cheevy haul is like a condensed personal history of your gaming over the generation, but as stated above its rare I'd even look back over my list and certainly wouldn't think "X game was really good, I mus go back to that".

The one thing, from all the trophies I've got has given me a knowledge that I've done about everything I can with each game. By attempting to plat every game I know that, for example, I have played batman AA to death (apart from the combat challenges which I can't do I'd have plat) I have played catherine to the point I'm happy (all done apart from challenge rooms) and that any game that only has a few percent of trophies wasn't good enough to waste my time.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:38:07 BDT
I tend to hover around the 70% completion mark. It has been higher, but if I genuinely don't like a game, there's no point in forcing myself to play it just for achievements.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 11:50:36 BDT
I have a second, offline gamertag that I'll use if I'm unsure of a game. I'll play it for about an hour or two which is usually the length of time it takes me to figure out if I'll like it or not then it goes on my normal gamertag and I'll start again.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 12:40:35 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Marked you up Wayne.

I got that Retro Gamer mag yesterday that you said about, and read about the 25 year history of Metal Gear. It was a great read. :-)

It was interesting to read that 'Pacman' did stealth before Metal Gear. Not proper stealth anyway, although I do understand the gameplay mechanic of what they are saying. Metal Gear really perpetuated what stealth was really about imo.

Great read of some classic games too. Everything I read about, on the Metal Gear Solid games, I agreed with. It's pretty much what get's said here on a regular basis. Kojima is always trying to be different, always trying to surprise us or pull the carpet from under our feet. Innovation or madness is all subjective.

Just to stay on topic, anyone plat any of the MGS's yet?

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 13:19:29 BDT
I read that article and it did make me want to get the MGS HD collection :)

Trouble us I've got too many games waiting in the wings and what with me being addicted to mass effect and Gears of war lately I just ain't gonna get the time.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 13:30:55 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Fair enough Wayne. I know the feeling. I'm sure you will get a time when you can give it a spin.

Once I start playing 'Metal Gear Solid' I can't stop. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 15:21:20 BDT
"Once I start playing 'Metal Gear Solid' I can't stop. :-)"

I'm the same with mass effect lol

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 16:52:08 BDT
Solar Fox says:
It sounds like we have a common interest in games with dodgy endings. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 19:38:02 BDT
"Ok so I realise it's not the end of the world and that their are far more important things in life but my gamertag represents 6 years plus of gaming and all the memories that holds."

That'd be the main (only?) thing that bothered me if everything was wiped. I had memory card after memory card on the PS1 and PS2 as I preferred to keep my saves in the days pre-achievements/trophies. Don't really see that it's much different now, except for the fact that it's a collection of JPEGs rather than physical media!

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 14:54:33 GMT
God, is it really almost a year since anyone posted in this?! I'm trying to get to trophy level 16, and I got my fourth Platinum a month or so back, on Jak & Daxter. Brilliant game and a fairly simple Platinum if you're playing it to completion anyway - but getting it was all the sweeter as I loved the game.

I've been trying to play one game at a time, as thoroughly and completely as I can - if that includes the Plat, then great, but I'm not fussed otherwise. I'm trying to get a good haul from all the games I play; currently on GoW:Ascension and they're usually pretty handy with dishing out trophies so I expect to get 60% odd from a usual Normal playthrough. After this I'll play Socom: Special Forces (sort of juggling the two), then maybe Rage, BioShock 2 (I quite fancy an FPS) or Darksiders 2.

I also need to finish The Walking Dead, as I believe that's a Platinum just for playing through the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 14:57:24 GMT
AstroMonkey says:
"I also need to finish The Walking Dead, as I believe that's a Platinum just for playing through the game. "

Yes it is but thats just the cherry on top of the cake as the game is excellent.

I picked up plat 34 at the weekend. Fallout 3 about 5 years after first starting it. Nice to get that one off the to do list although I doubt it has any trade in value left now. ;)

Posted on 19 Mar 2013 15:16:46 GMT
Equinox80 says:
"I'm never going to get 100,000G so I measure my own success by my overall completion percentage and having games with only one achievement/trophy unlock really drags this down. At the moment I'm 58% which isn't amazing but not bad but my aim is to get it up to 70% before the end of this gen."

I've just read back and noticed I put this back in April last year. I'm up to 65% overall completion now so I'm on my way to reaching the target I set myself last year.

"I've recently started ACII"

Can't believe this was nearly a year ago. I platted it in the end though :)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 15:37:46 GMT
" Possibly has a lot to do with the fact I've run out of stuff that I actually want to play(391 games played) "

Said this a year ago so god knows how I've now managed to play 494 games? Think my completion rate was sitting at 60% last time I saw it on TA.

My play cloudy with a chance of meatballs as game 500 then give my Xbox a Viking funeral.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 15:41:30 GMT
Equinox80 says:
I've played that Dave. It wasn't the worst game I've played either to be fair. I think Hannah Montana: The Movie would be a fitting fairwell to your 360 ;)

Also TA has my completion rate at 71% which is nice but I think they only count the original 1000G completion and not DLC as well like Xbox.com

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 15:45:16 GMT
How about giving it a literal Viking send-off and play Viking: Battle for Asgard? Top game, very underrated. Just needed more depth and it would have been excellent IMO.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  74
Total posts:  439
Initial post:  31 Mar 2010
Latest post:  2 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions